Quiting The Job Before Contract Ends

Just do it!

My friend quite his contract after 3 weeks of working as a techer, they were mad, but it's unlikly anything will happen.

In the corporate world of Thailand, I've done something similar with one of my jobs...if the wage/benefits aren't enough to keep you, then its their loss.

Matt

Thaibruce,

Consquences for you, or others as well? :o

Yeah, you may have no real problem "legally" leaving a month early - but what about your students and fellow teachers? You may not care about the latter, if you have felt ill-treated, but is it fair to the students for you to leave early?

What about the impression your early departure will have on them in regard to 'farang'? If there's one thing we expats don't need, it's another way to look bad.

Remember, the bridge you burn may be the one you need the next time you come/run this way.

If you stay here long enough, you'll probably encounter these poeple in the future. You may see your students again when they are are older. Isn't worth trying to do the right thing?

Your new employer should respect your desire to treat your current employer and students right, and be willing to work with you on that. It's only a few weeks.

UC

Dear ThaiBruce

As a lawyer, I would suggest you the following:

1. Check your employment agreement (if you have) whether you have to notify them prior to your resignation.

2. After you resign your employer must provide you a withholding tax certificate.

3. You must notify the Department of Employement that you have already change your job.

If you want to know more, please contact //URL removed - lopburi3//

Dear ThaiBruce

1. Check your employment agreement (if you have) whether you have to notify them prior to your resignation.

2. After you resign your employer must provide you a withholding tax certificate.

3. You must notify the Department of Employement that you have already change your job.

If you want to know more, please contact www.taxelite.com

My contract doesn't state anything about notification. But I have no problem notify them 1 month in advance.

Do you know, what are the possible (legal) consequences when quiting? Can the school "force" me to stay.

(To concerned fellow teacher colleagues: the school term usually ends at the of February, so there would be no down-side for the kids...)

Hello

I am currently working as a teacher on a one-year contract.

Because I got a new job offer, I want to quit my job 1 month before my contract ends.

Does anybody knows, if I can do that (legally), how, and what the consequences are?

Thanks!

Depends on what is written in your contract as others have said.

Also keep in mind that if you have a work permit, you're suppose to surrender it to the school who then notify the dept of Labor and you have to leave the country within 7 days. Then you have to do the Non - Immigrant -> Work Permit dance all over again for your new job.

In practice though that rarely happens.

Hello

Because I got a new job offer, I want to quit my job 1 month before my contract ends.

Does anybody knows, if I can do that (legally), how, and what the consequences are?

Thanks!

Also keep in mind that if you have a work permit, you're suppose to surrender it to the school who then notify the dept of Labor and you have to leave the country within 7 days. Then you have to do the Non - Immigrant -> Work Permit dance all over again for your new job.

1. "Surrender" means I will not get the work permit booklet back, that's right?

2. Deos that mean, that for the new job, the dep of Labor will create a new booklet again??

3. If I could get the new visa within those 7 days, do I still have to leave the country?

Thanks!

Dear ThaiBruce

If you want to know more, please contact //URL removed - lopburi3//

:o

Hello

Thanks!

1. "Surrender" means I will not get the work permit booklet back, that's right?

2. Deos that mean, that for the new job, the dep of Labor will create a new booklet again??

3. If I could get the new visa within those 7 days, do I still have to leave the country?

Thanks!

Be careful do not surrender the work permit it is your document ( treat it as your passport vital until you have cancelled it ) ,you are resposible to inform the authorities in a very short time limit ...when you !!! have contacted the authorities with the permit you may if you desire surrender it but it is of limited value !!!!