The Thai Dream Falling Apart.

soi41

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've met heaps of guys who came here with a load of money, spent it on a big house (5-10Mbht) in someone else's name.

(or a business in someone else's name)

Then either lived in misery with a woman who doesn't like them very much or returned to their home country.

What were they thinking?

I could live the rest of my life on 10Mbht.

Agreed and I believe luck has nothing to do with it. It`s all down to common sense, common sense and even more common sense. That`s the key.

In my opinion, unless you have a guaranteed consistent lifetime income, such as a pension or a reasonable amount of savings and able to live off the interest, than my advice is, don`t even consider giving everything up in the homeland and moving lock, stock and barrel to Thailand.

Our tommo also makes another very good point, why do some ex-pats leave themselves totally vulnerable by placing too much trust on other people in the hope that they wont be swindled and cheated?

The golden rules for a successful and stress free lifestyle in Thailand:

Don’t rely on finding long term permanent work or starting a business in Thailand as your main or only income. If you do than try not to tread on the Thais turf as a competitor as this may cause conflicts.

Plan well and ensure you are financially secure for the remainder of your life or at least have something definite in the pipeline.

Learn to budget yourself and don`t make commitments or go over what you can`t afford.

Keep in charge and the upper hand of your assets at all times, do not place yourself at risk on trust and gentlemen’s agreements, even if the girl’s the best shag you’ve ever had and has the appearance of a Park Lane fashion model.

Avoid becoming involved with the wrong types of people, such as criminals, law breakers, Jack the lads and gold digging women.

Avoid having disputes, remembering that we are foreigners here with limited, or if any, statutory rights. Try and adapt to Thai customs, except the native populations for what they are and lose that Western aggression.

Don’t expect the same quality of services and efficiencies we take for granted in the West. Have patience, tolerance and lower your expectations.

Keep a low profile, keep your head down and abide by the laws of Thailand at all times. Play everything by the book.

And there you have it, happiness and success on a plate. Break the golden rules at your peril.

Were you a Buddhist you would be a good one wai.gif

Depends on how determined you are to stay here. You can make it here if you WANT to.

I'm 31 and I've lived here in South East Asia and Thailand for 4 years. Came on a one way plane ticket to Hong Kong with some credit cards and that's it.

I'm prepared to last 50 years here.

Judging by a handful of posts you've made on other threads, you're either bipolar or you need to do more work on making sure your fabrications tie up.

Depends on how determined you are to stay here. You can make it here if you WANT to.

I'm 31 and I've lived here in South East Asia and Thailand for 4 years. Came on a one way plane ticket to Hong Kong with some credit cards and that's it.

Judging by a handful of posts you've made on other threads, you're either bipolar or you need to do more work on making sure your fabrications tie up.

i think its quite hard to find good fabricators here. There's often posts in the General forum asking for recommendations. I would reckon you would get a better standard of fabrication around Rayong than in Bangkok, but that is purely speculation. GH or Soutpeel could probably help you out.

SC

EDIT: For quality steel fabrications, you'd want more than just a bit of "tying up". That might be OK for bamboo scaffolding, but not for proper permanent fabrications.

Absolutely agree, luck plays a huge part in anyone's sucess (not always in their failure).

The argument "I succeeded by my own hard work/talent" is an arrogant denial of the fact that no matter how hard you work, no matter how talented you are, you still need a break for your hard work and talents to pay off.

Either you have had the good luck to be born into the right circle, you had the good luck to stumble into the right situation or someone gave you a break.

This does not in anyway detract from hard work and talent, but without a break hard work and talent will go nowhere ( or are as likely to be usurped by someone taking advantage of others).

This is as true anywhere in the world as it is in Thailand and is precisely why I believe one of the best things you can do for anyone is give them a chance at having a go in life.

Who was it that said they would rather be lucky than good?

The point being that a frugal life can be as good or better than a so called rich one.

Very true. I came to Thailand 10 years ago when I was relatively well off, had some bad times, had some good times, none of the business ventures that I started in Thailand failed. But I got bored with the lifestyle and decided that I didn't really 'big' money when I only needed a small amount to get by.

Now I live and work in Myanmar, leave my 'wives' to run the hotel businesses and to pocket the profits. I'd rather do something more beneficial to others than sit on a beach in Phuket :)

Simon

• Like 1

i think its quite hard to find good fabricators here. There's often posts in the General forum asking for recommendations. I would reckon you would get a better standard of fabrication around Rayong than in Bangkok, but that is purely speculation. GH or Soutpeel could probably help you out.

SC

EDIT: For quality steel fabrications, you'd want more than just a bit of "tying up". That might be OK for bamboo scaffolding, but not for proper permanent fabrications.

tumble.gif

The point being that a frugal life can be as good or better than a so called rich one.

Very true. I came to Thailand 10 years ago when I was relatively well off, had some bad times, had some good times, none of the business ventures that I started in Thailand failed. But I got bored with the lifestyle and decided that I didn't really 'big' money when I only needed a small amount to get by.

Now I live and work in Myanmar, leave my 'wives' to run the hotel businesses and to pocket the profits. I'd rather do something more beneficial to others than sit on a beach in Phuket smile.png

Simon

I think I met you before. Do you know Marc from London?

Haven't read the whole thread but I'm at the beginning of my new life in thailand. Bought a condo in an area I liked and made sure I have a 'drip fund' for the first 8 months. I spent a yr traveling back and forth to work out what I cd do for a living and then did a business plan for myself and managed to get outside investment by chance. But its good to have a back up plan too. Keep the business idea simple, do your homework, don't give your money to ANYONE, stay away from bad women and drugs..

Haven't read the whole thread but I'm at the beginning of my new life in thailand. Bought a condo in an area I liked and made sure I have a 'drip fund' for the first 8 months. I spent a yr traveling back and forth to work out what I cd do for a living and then did a business plan for myself and managed to get outside investment by chance. But its good to have a back up plan too. Keep the business idea simple, do your homework, don't give your money to ANYONE, stay away from bad women and drugs..

nice one, einstein. have any other carrots you want to toss us?

Now I live and work in Myanmar, leave my 'wives' to run the hotel businesses and to pocket the profits. I'd rather do something more beneficial to others than sit on a beach in Phuket smile.png

Simon

I remember your problems. sad.png

Don’t rely on finding long term permanent work or starting a business in Thailand as your main or only income. If you do than try not to tread on the Thais turf as a competitor as this may cause conflicts.

Plan well and ensure you are financially secure for the remainder of your life or at least have something definite in the pipeline.

Learn to budget yourself and don`t make commitments or go over what you can`t afford.

Keep in charge and the upper hand of your assets at all times, do not place yourself at risk on trust and gentlemen’s agreements, even if the girl’s the best shag you’ve ever had and has the appearance of a Park Lane fashion model.

Avoid becoming involved with the wrong types of people, such as criminals, law breakers, Jack the lads and gold digging women.

Avoid having disputes, remembering that we are foreigners here with limited, or if any, statutory rights. Try and adapt to Thai customs, except the native populations for what they are and lose that Western aggression.

Don’t expect the same quality of services and efficiencies we take for granted in the West. Have patience, tolerance and lower your expectations.

Keep a low profile, keep your head down and abide by the laws of Thailand at all times. Play everything by the book.

And there you have it, happiness and success on a plate. Break the golden rules at your peril.

YOu've got it straight great wisdom there.....especially

KEEP CONTROL OF YOUR ASSETS AT ALL TIMES. DON'T BE HALF HEARTED ABOUT THIS. BE CLEAR THAT THIS IS YOUR SOLE DOMAIN.

Australian citizens absent from the country for more than five years are all obliged to make the statement if they require medical cover.

Douglass Wood

Seems the doors are never completely closed.

I love Thailand, even have a home there but am throwing too much away by living there, I'f I keep doing what I am doing I will be laughing and my kids will be well done by too. I wanted to come over next year and live in CM but I just have too much to throw away, my daughters lives being two of those things. Nice place for a holliday, myself like every other Farang will only ever be a tourist in Thailand and I realise it. When I'm older and I do come to live permanently then I will probably be doing just that. Living like a tourist. If things go to shit then I will just go home and be just as comfy.

Thats my plan anyway.

Absolutely agree, luck plays a huge part in anyone's sucess (not always in their failure).

Very true. I have been here for 2 decades ands have made a good income for years at a time, but also made just enough to get along and also been on the edge of being broke enough to go home (and these days that might be worse than staying here).

These people who think that you can always plan everything must have lived very privileged lives.

• Like 1

I've met heaps of guys who came here with a load of money, spent it on a big house (5-10Mbht) in someone else's name.

Then either lived in misery with a woman who doesn't like them very much or returned to their home country.

What were they thinking?

Agreed and I believe luck has nothing to do with it. It`s all down to common sense, common sense and even more common sense. That`s the key.

In my opinion, unless you have a guaranteed consistent lifetime income, such as a pension or a reasonable amount of savings and able to live off the interest, than my advice is, don`t even consider giving everything up in the homeland and moving lock, stock and barrel to Thailand.

Our tommo also makes another very good point, why do some ex-pats leave themselves totally vulnerable by placing too much trust on other people in the hope that they wont be swindled and cheated?

Ah, the voice of reason!

What were they thinking?

I believe you, I really do.

Part of the problem is that some people come out to Thailand to start a business when they have never started a business before. They dont have a clue what they are doing and end up making one bad decision after another.

The amount of guys who go into the bar trade totally blind is frightening. I met a beer bar owner in Pattaya who didnt even know what a business plan was. i had to explain to him the difference between a leasehold and a freehold as he wasn't 100 per cent sure which one he had actually bought.

They are like lambs to the slaughter.

whats a "jack the lads"?

It`s really a London, English description of a man who is regarded as a brash, loud show-off, likes to give the impression he is God’s gift to the world but in reality is an absolute loser and can be a bad influence to anyone that becomes involved with them.

The wheeler, dealer types that know the Guff (chat) and may talk someone into parting with their money on a no hope scheme or to become involved with crooked activities.

Lots of them here in Thailand.

Very true. I have been here for 2 decades ands have made a good income for years at a time, but also made just enough to get along and also been on the edge of being broke enough to go home (and these days that might be worse than staying here).

These people who think that you can always plan everything must have lived very privileged lives.

I agree with you, that it is difficult/impossible to always plan everything specially here, but as you/we get older, use your good stints to put a little aside for a rainy day, if for nothing else just to feel a little more safe and secure. As GH wrote in an earlier post, money is only one way to measure succes, and if money is only means to live a fancy life, I agree. But as money is necessary for our daily meals aswell, I think it is an important measurement. To me money in the bank only means security and not having to worry for tomorrow. My only problem is getting "too old"sick.gif

To those who think luck is the main reason for success, I answer luck favors the prepared ... Luck can help you one time, two times ... but is not enough for life long success.

Based on a bit more than 10 years experience as expat, I'd say the more important quality for success abroad is strong personal values. Back home, when you have life changing decision to make, you can count on the help of family, friends, colleagues, neighbours, ... who all share the same values as you. Abroad you're mostly on your own. If you don't have a strong sense of who you are and what matters to you, you can easily get lost.

One of the best advise I heard here is to play safe don't do in Thailand (abroad) what you wouldn't do at home.

To those who think luck is the main reason for success, I answer luck favors the prepared ... Luck can help you one time, two times ... but is not enough for life long success.

Based on a bit more than 10 years experience as expat, I'd say the more important quality for success abroad is strong personal values. Back home, when you have life changing decision to make, you can count on the help of family, friends, colleagues, neighbours, ... who all share the same values as you. Abroad you're mostly on your own. If you don't have a strong sense of who you are and what matters to you, you can easily get lost.

One of the best advise I heard here is to play safe don't do in Thailand (abroad) what you wouldn't do at home.

Even following that rule, if you're unlucky you can get caught out - if others let you down in ways that would never have crossed your mind sad.png.

Edited by F1fanatic

Maybe this can help some :

How to become your own boss

Ever wanted to swap the day job for running your own business? It is more achievable than we think, says entrepreneur and founder of Innocent Drinks Richard Reed. "If you have ever organised a wedding or a holiday for a group of friends you have got what it takes to set up a business," says Reed ...

Continued here : http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-19542914

Edited by JurgenG

Even following that rule, if you're unlucky you can get caught out - if others let you down in ways that would never have crossed your mind sad.png.

Right, but if you're well prepared you should survive.

Sometime, especially during bad times like a wold economic crisis or a long period of drought, something you can't do much about, success is just about surviving until better times come back.

Are you sure?

http://www.thaivisa....t-mistake-ever/

I just checked out this thread http://www.thaivisa....t-mistake-ever/

Getting married is a risk that scares me. In my opinion, that's really taking a chance with your money. Although I might still do it someday, but only after years of being with the girl and hopefully getting to know her well enough, and even then, you might still end up in divorce, as there are no guarantees.

But, for those who do choose marriage, wouldn't having a prenup, or a trust in peoples names other then just your wife, and a will that does not have all your assets going to your wife, etc... -- help protect you?

I want to come back on something that was discussed earlier. There is one quality that nowadays more and more people are talking about, something that most people didn't know even existed until recently : it's resilience.

From Wiki : Resilience in psychology refers to the idea of an individual's tendency to cope with stress and adversity. This coping may result in the individual "bouncing back" to a previous state of normal functioning, or simply not showing negative effects.[1] A third, more controversial form of resilience is sometimes referred to as 'posttraumatic growth' or 'steeling effects' where in the experience adversity leads to better functioning (much like an inoculation gives one the capacity to cope well with future exposure to disease).

Just think about Steve Jobs. He created one wonderful company just to be thrown out by the the people her hired. Talk about bad luck and betrayal. So what did he do ? Drank himself to death and make guest appearance in losers' show to talk about how unfair the world is ? You know the story ...

Resilience, that's the key to success.

Edited by JurgenG

It's only about brains.

One who comes here should know that you don't have to be here to make money, unless you're an expat working for a multinational.

This is a low wage country,where you're not allowed to perform most of the jobs so forget about that.Use your brains.

Don't count about the 1% who started a successful bar or other business.

So one who has brains, should be able to make a financial planning and calculate how much he would need to survive for the time he want to stay here.

Someone with his braincells in the right place, that means not between his legs, should also be able to easily see through the real intentions of their Nana,Cowboy,walking street partners.

Again someone with half a brain should see it coming when things turn sour and make his return to his homecountry, or find another solution to improve his situation before he has to bite his last satang in 2 pieces.

You see it's only about brains

clap2.giftotally agree.

people fail here becaue they take risks and make decisions they would never do at home.

losing everything because u signed it all away to a barGirl is probably the stupidest thing u can do out here. laughable really,

Edited by bluesky76