Friendship.

CanadianChicken

I've established a routine pretty thoroughly. I have two alternating days, day one I do some housework and work work and do grocery shopping for my family. Day two I work out, so muay thai and then go out to the bars. In both routines ive been having trouble making friends with fellow expats. They seem distant, hard to explain. Even when i sit at the bar and share a few beers we have good conversations and they depart and thats it, micro friendships. So my question to the forums is to how might a young guy find friends in Bangkok? I also thought about the age differences, the only other young guys ive seen look like total idiots, wifebeaters, yelling at locals - repulsive.

Thanks a bunch,

CC

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dam_n boy, you trying to hard.

You are an 18yo, pretty boy, boxer...according to you.

Hanging out in random bars with crusty old guys is no way to spend time in your new city.

18 and finished school limits your future - go back to school - thats where all the other 18 year olds are at.

Hanging out in random bars with crusty old guys is no way to spend time in your new city.

18 and finished school limits your future - go back to school - thats where all the other 18 year olds are at.

Poor lad....nobody wants to talk to him...maybe phone your mummy and tell her all the nasty people on TV are picking on you as well

Edited by Soutpeel

What secondary english options are there near bangkok? And im not trying hard, at all. You obviously dont like who i am which i retort in saying dont message in my threads.

What secondary english options are there near bangkok? And im not trying hard, at all. You obviously dont like who i am which i retort in saying dont message in my threads.

errr..they are not your threads..

Your funny, kid.

If I was 18, I wouldn't be asking a bunch of random Internet guys how to make friends. I'd be out making them.

If I wasn't in school, I'd be skateboarding at Esplanade, dancing at RCA, playing some team sports, learning Thai, exploring the city, taking photographs...all while wearing my baseball cap backwards and wearing my Dr Dre headphones...because that's what 18 year olds do.

...actually, thats pretty much what I do now.

Oh boy... according to yourself (yesterday) you are in town since a month now... and you already expect that everybody knows you and likes you and hooks up with you and hugs you everytime they see you?

poor boy... hope mama will dry your tears... wake up and try to find places where other young people hang around... and don't forget that those other young people who according to you "look like total idiots, wifebeaters, yelling at locals" will look at you and think that you might be an arrogant idiot thinking he is something better... good approach to make friends...

Day two I work out, so muay thai and then go out to the bars.

If I wasn't in school, I'd be skateboarding at Esplanade

Anyone I met who admitted to either of these two hobbies, I would go out of my way to avoid, they are usually aggressive and looking for trouble. It may not be true, but it would be a reason to avoid you, and I'm guessing many other people think the same way as me.

Look on the bright side. It's a good thing you're born a boy. At least you can play with yourself. rolleyes.gif

Halo and World of Warcraft are multiplayer games. You just don't want to play alone.

You see I know kids, I am so in the zone. I am as you older folks say, groovy and hip. I even have a tshirt with a chi chi guerrera, the alternative gay guerilla.

• Like 1

Anyone I met who admitted to either of these two hobbies, I would go out of my way to avoid, they are usually aggressive and looking for trouble. It may not be true, but it would be a reason to avoid you, and I'm guessing many other people think the same way as me.

<deleted>? Skateboarding is aggressive? Like, no.

It is soothing, relaxing and a way to get yourself some really cool wounds that make girls swoon.

BTW, are you aware that competent skateboarders tend to be quick witted, with good reflexes and sharpspatial abilities? On the contrary, a good skateboarder is often more intellectually capable than the typical couch potao for the simple reason that all circuits have to be on go. Have a look at the typical Thai kid skateboarding. He usually is nicely dressed, has some money, smiles alot, has friends and will help friends and is not threatening in the least. Quite different than the marauding gang of technical students on motorbiles driving about on their quest to kill.

• Like 1

You know you are talking about 2 different people right?

One is a real person.

The other was advice for that 18 year old person to get him out of the bars.

But thanks the insight into your paranoia.

Thanks for the constructive comments. I guess it is time I went exploring, I really want see the palace.

Just be careful what bars you end up drinking in................wink.png

Being underage at 18yo and all that. Nobody told you that yet?.........................coffee1.gif

If you are under 40 and not educated you really don't have much to talk about. Some young people are educated and that is fine; some have the education of experience and that is fine but 18 and no education is usually a bore. I'd go to school part time. Maybe you can hook up with some other young people that are trying to better themselves.

So many mad, retarded people.

Did you bring your parents with you or did they bring you ?

I think he is just on his annual holiday with his parents

Oh...I thought they had moved here.

But, if you are correct then he should get himself to some massage places and make lotsa short term friends...cos before he knows it his holiday will be over and he will have spent it all seeking out real good foreign friends.

I have an idea but...we could all suggest 2 members that we think would make good friends for him and he could pm them. I'll start....TheBlether and Quietman.

Sorry I was skimming, both my parents acquired jobs here. Im sort of soing a part time thing to get a little side money, though i saved a nice stack before i came here. We will be living in bkk for three to four years. Also i was told by a bar woman that the drinking age was subjective and most bars dont care, she said ill get extorted by police if im found underage however. Im also pretty wide eyed in most cases, even while drinking, i always have an eye out for possible dangers.

Thanks for your concerns and comments,

CC