Are Falang Bars/restaurants Actually Worth The Hassle?

Plucky

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am insulted by 'farang', 'falang', 'bak see daa', 'ma gairw', and 'ma guey gar', and so are many other posters so please try to avoid using those terms.

Life is short dude. Take a chill pill and stop "being insulted" too fast. Who cares?

Indeed, I wonder how many others have ever heard the terms TP refers to, I wonder how many actually understand them, I wonder how many are now trying to find out what these terms mean?

Personally I wouldnt wish to be referred to as a "Pinkie".

I am insulted by 'farang', 'falang', 'bak see daa', 'ma gairw', and 'ma guey gar', and so are many other posters so please try to avoid using those terms.

Life is short dude. Take a chill pill and stop "being insulted" too fast. Who cares?

Indeed, I wonder how many others have ever heard the terms TP refers to, I wonder how many actually understand them, I wonder how many are now trying to find out what these terms mean?

Personally I wouldnt wish to be referred to as a "Pinkie".

How many Farang threads does Thai Visa need in one month? Every thread turns into a Thai basing, they use the "Farang Word thread", give it a break guys. Bash some other nationality for a while.bah.gif

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 2

How many Farang threads does Thai Visa need in one month? Every thread turns into a Thai basing, they use the "Farang Word thread", give it a break guys. Bash some other nationality for a while.bah.gif

When it's OK for me to call people of African descent ni%$#@s, it will be acceptable for Thais to call me fa$#@g.

Same, same but different.

Nice sidewinder punch - bloke deserved it probably but fairly gutless.

He could have easily got some brain damage - not that he would know - but surely if the other guys had made it known they

were available for an ass kicking the drunk guy would have left - if not then he deserves to get a spanking.

I'm not missing the point here - it's obvious enough for an ignorant farang like me to make the connection wai.gif

However a very common event in Thailand is this kind of idiot being kicked to pieces by some cowardly bastards -deservedly or not - and no doubt an

unassuming ignorant would be Western businessman will meet a similar end.

ps how do we know the Thai he is talking to is the manager? ( Just curious )

I think the Thais were watching the situation carefully and what sparked them into action was when he started banging his fists on the bar.

The other 'funny' thing was the guy that hit him, immediately disappeared, thinking there might be some retaliation but as it turned out, it knocked him out, so unless he's seen the video on Youtube, he would never have known what hit him.

Restaurants are always very tough businesses to run. Which is funny cause often on TV people will suggest that a members wife/gf open a restaurant business.

Personally, I would not even go into a Western restaurant in Thailand anymore unless I heard good word of mouth about the food. The prices tend to be high and the food very crappy.

I think you can make plenty of money but you really need to have a good product (with locally sourced materials) and the ability to train and maintain a staff.

Look at Sunrise Tacos. They are expensive but the food is awesome. They have a Filipino staff. So anything can be done but it does not mean it will be easy.

Personally I wish farang were legally allowed to run a street cart. Now that would be a lot of fun and I am sure the Thais would be curious as well. Too bad for the silly discriminatory regulations in this country.

Yes...Sunrise Tacos is OK...it is also consistent.

my experience is quite the opposite.

it is very hit and miss when the boss isnt around

I forgot to add the word "barely". Work it out tinfoilhat....OK here is well.......whistling.gif

It's not easy, but I have a friend in CM who makes a very decent living at it. He has great food, and that is a big draw. He is retired and reasonably wealthy from his savings, however he makes enough from his place to sustain his lifestyle here, all in. btw, it is a pub-style place, not a girly bar, so less "police overhead" i guess..

Now, you should step back and take a good look at yourself. You are 30 years old (with thinning hair) and single. In England, you worked selling automotive accessories (hence the name “pimping”). Back home you are a nobody. You were barely making ends meet. The ladies reject you. In other words, you were a loser.

So you go on holiday to Thailand, to escape dreary old England. You go to a bar. The bargirls tell you that you are hansum man. Any girl (in the gogo bar) is yours with your come hither stare (and a 1000baht note). You then think to yourself, “this is bloody paradise…I got all the birds I want…I don’t have to deal with immigrants takin over my country, I don’t have some western hag telling me what to do, and I’m going to go out and drink and shag every bird I come across.”

You don’t want to go back to your low paid miserable job in England. You want to stay in Thailand. This is a fresh start. In England, you are a low paid car parts salesman, in Thailand you are reinvented as a well presented English gentleman of leisure.

Now the meager savings that you brought with you from selling plastic ornaments on those Toyota camry’s is starting to dwindle. But damnit, you do not want to return to England. You want to stay in Thailand and shag, and get your testicle massaged. (Understandable that you should want to take care of it since you only have one left.) But what to do? You have no skills. If you don’t get any money, you have to go home and you don’t want to do that.

Wait, you’ll start a restaurant or bar. No onehas ever thought of that before. The Thais are stupid. They would have never thought about starting a restaurant and running it like you, a Westerner, would.

So you post about opening a restaurant in Thailand. You get a bunch of posts in response. The general consensus is that it is not a good idea. If you use the “search” button you will see the posts from others on what kind of problems they’ve had. But you don’t want to listen. You’re different.

I come on here and tell why it’s a good idea. Then you come back that I am just spouting off on how Thai I am.

Well there is a big difference between you and me. I have a lot more experience with Thailand than you do. You see your plane landed on April 1, 2012 (the post you put up when you touched ground in Thailand.

you’ve been here about 5 months. I have been on this board a long time. My relationship with Thailand is even longer. I have seen you before my friend. I have seen you come, with big plans and a big mouth. And, if you are lucky, you get to leave on a plane with your tail between your legs with no money to start over again in the country you tried to escape from. Those not so lucky get shipped in a box back home or to the local Wat.

Let me clue you in. There are plenty of successful expats in Thailand and on this forum who’ve managed to survive and thrive. There is one general trait that I see amongst them. They’re not the ones running off to a bar drinking and womanizing. The successful ones are the ones who are actually the responsible family men. They’re the ones with wives, and Thai family who help them. In Thailand, business is a family affair. Thaksin Shinawatra. It is the family that runs the business. Red Bull Ferrari guy. From the big successful super families, to your local noodle shop where the little children serve the noodles. It is the family that pitches in and runs the business.

You are a single man trying to open up a restaurant. You have no experience in the restaurant business. Your restaurant management experience is being an employee selling car parts back in England. You’ve been here for 5 months.

So you are the one that is going to try and “manage” Thai employees? Who’s going to talk to the contractors when work needs to be done to the building? Who’s going to the local bosses about getting a liquor permit? Who’s going to be talking to the companies delivering food? You? By yourself? The reason business is run as a family is that members of the family “know someone” who can get things done. Without knowing someone you are dead in the water.

And since you brought up your complaints that I am the PC police….Let me clue you in. It’s not about being “politically correct”, it’s learning to keep your dam_n mouth shut when you are hopelessly outnumbered when you are playing in someone else’s turf.

Thai people don’t like people who shoot their mouths off without thinking. For you clowns fresh off the plane that’s apparently all you want to do. The Thai way is to keep calm, keep your mouth shut, and keep a low profile. The expats that survive learn to do that. If the Thais don’t like it when other Thais shoot their mouths off and make waves, they sure as hell don’t like it when some dumbass foreigner does it.

I’m feeling generous and magnanimous today. I’m going to give you a lesson on Thai culture and how to do business in Thailand. Learn about the Thai people by learning how they fight. Have you ever seen a real fight in Thailand? The only time Thais fight one on one, mano el mano is in the Muay Thai ring. If it’s a “real fight” it’s always done in groups. Running your own business is a fight. It’s not just your competitors, my own dam_n customers and employees that also wanted a piece of me. You need to have people with loyalty to you backing you up.

The English gentlemen in the bar is you. The bar itself is Thailand. Consider that when you shoot your mouth off and lose your cool in Thailand, Thailand will teach you humility. So keep on spouting off.

Pay attention to what’s happening. The Falang is getting angry and losing situational awareness. Pay attention to the Thai sitting next to him. He’s trying to remain calm and talk. If you pay attention, while they’re talking, there are other Thais already moving into position to strike. The Falang is too busy getting angry and shooting off his mouth to notice this.

You see the Falang is bigger, younger, and stronger than the Thai he is speaking too. If it was one on one, the Falang probably might win. But what the Falang doesn’t understand that it is not a one on one fight, he’s gonna have to fight them all. While the Thai manager is calmly talking to the Falang, it’s really just as a distraction. The decision has already been made that the Falang is going down. The falang simply didn’t know it yet. The Thais were waiting for the Falang to be at his weakest and most vulnerable.

Where does the knock out blow come from? It wasn’t from the guy he was talking too. It comes from where he least it expects it (from behind). Notice what happens after the Falang is knocked out? Another Thai rushes forward and starts kicking the Falang when he is down. Understand the Thai way. The Thai will try and remain calm. If you should push a Thai to the breaking point where they are no longer willing to put up with your shit, they are not out to “look tough”; they’re out to really to kill you.

Now as it relates to business in Thailand, it’s not just Thai v. Falang. The Thais will try and rip off each other. Hence that is why a business operates as a family unit. It’s out of necessity. You can’t run a business and while simultaneously fighting off other people who are trying to take a piss in your rice bowl. If you are single, and don’t have a Thai wife or Thai family that will assist you in your business endeavors, you will have some serious problems doing it on your own.

But you know, don’t just listen to me. Actually ignore my advice. Go take your meager life savings and open up a restaurant and/or bar. I actually dare you to. Let’s see what happens.

Have a wonderful day.

thats a great post.

Fair play about covers it ,,,,,,

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

When it's OK for me to call people of African descent ni%$#@s, it will be acceptable for Thais to call me fa$#@g.

This is Thailand, home of the Thai people. They can call you anything they d_amn chose. If you don't like it, ................... tough.

When starting a business in Thailand it is important to understand the culture and language. If one does not understand such a basic word as Farang it would be unwise to enter into a business in Thailand. Or in the unlikely event that you are correct and all Thai people dislike all Farangs it would be even more ill advised to open a business. Either way better for you go home.smile.png

• Like 2

When starting a business in Thailand it is important to understand the culture and language. If one does not understand such a basic word as Farang it would be unwise to enter into a business in Thailand. Or in the unlikely event that you are correct and all Thai people dislike all Farangs it would be even more ill advised to open a business. Either way better for you go home.smile.png

Just ignoreTommo. He's just being his typically obstinate self.

He knows full well that the N-word is universally recognised as highly-offensive to 100% of black people.

He also knows full well that nowhere NEAR 100% of white people find the term "farang" offensive.

If I had to guess how many actually do, I'd say oooooohhh . . . . about 10-20 "outraged" posters on Thaivisa who, having cited the proliferation of political correctness as a key motivator for departing their homelands now wish to see it adopted here because they're on the receiving end of this "vicious, hurtful and degrading racial slur". Gimme a break !!

As has been said so many times, "it's only political correctness gone mad if you're not part of the group adversely affected".

Edited by HardenedSoul
  • Like 1

Just ignoreTommo. He's just being his typically obstinate self.

He knows full well that the N-word is universally recognised as highly-offensive to 100% of black people.

He also knows full well that nowhere NEAR 100% of white people find the term "farang" offensive.

If I had to guess how many actually do, I'd say oooooohhh . . . . about 10-20 "outraged" posters on Thaivisa who, having cited the proliferation of political correctness as a key motivator for departing their homelands now wish to see it adopted here because they're on the receiving end of this "vicious, hurtful and degrading racial slur". Gimme a break !!

As has been said so many times, "it's only political correctness gone mad if you're not part of the group adversely affected".

Where I come from, they call everyone for everywhere else "<removed> foreigners". I'm not so sure that's worse than "farang".

Do all rednecks dislike ni%$#@rs?

Does the percentage of people offended by racist name calling play a pert in deciding if it's OK?

Looks like I understand the culture (555) far better than some other posters.

Does the percentage of people offended by racist name calling play a pert in deciding if it's OK?

Can we assume, then, that you're going on record with your assertion that any Thai using the term "fa$#$g" is knowingly using a vicious, racist word to address or describe any Caucasian??

Can we assume, then, that you're going on record with your assertion that any Thai using the term "fa$#$g" is knowingly using a vicious, racist word to address or describe any Caucasian??

No, it's ignorance just as it's ignroance when blue-haired octogenarian ladies in the west use the term niggers. No overt hate behind thier comments, it's just the way that they were raised.

No, it's ignorance just as it's ignroance when blue-haired octogenarian ladies in the west use the term niggers. No overt hate behind thier comments, it's just the way that they were raised.

As OP has answered ignorance and racial hatred both play their part.

It's exactly the same situation as coloured people in America faced 60 years ago.

It's exactly the same situation as coloured people in America faced 60 years ago.

That's nonsense. The blue-rinsed octogenarians who used those terms are/were perfectly aware of its derogatory nature as are/were the blacks on the receiving end.

Your argument is completely and utterly undermined by the fact that most white folks do NOT regard the term "farang" as offensive or derogatory.

That's it !

Move on !

Except that farangs are granted a superior position in Thai society and niggers an inferior one in American society. That is of course assuminig that you don't fall into the Farang Kii Nok category.

Your argument is completely and utterly undermined by the fact that most white folks do NOT regard the term "farang" as offensive or derogatory.

Most 'Uncle toms' were OK with the names they were called too.

Except that farangs are granted a superior position in Thai society and niggers an inferior one in American society. That is of course assuminig that you don't fall into the Farang Kii Nok category.

I would dispute that, white foreigners are looked down on by many Thais. They have no position in Thai society.

Just because most white foreigners in Thailand have no idea about the locals and their language, doesn't make it right.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

It must give you quite a thrill using that term, eh? Especially after much of Western PC society has denied you the God-given right to its use.

Still, as this is an internet forum, I'll not take offence since I'm sure that, in the real world, you'd be far too busy cleaning the faeces out of your pants to say it out loud to ANY black person.

It must give you quite a thrill using that term, eh? Especially after much of Western PC society has denied you the God-given right to its use.

Still, as this is an internet forum, I'll not take offence since I'm sure that, in the real world, you'd be far too busy cleaning the faeces out of your pants to say it out loud to ANY black person.

How do you deduce that?

How do you deduce that?

I can prove it if you like

How do you deduce that?

I can prove it if you like

??

I was called Farang Kee Nok in a local Dor Lung ( Walking st market) in Kalasin last night.

My wife also heard the words and had a right go at the lady who uttered them.

She was all smiles as it transpired I teach her brother at the local school.

She apologised but no doubt will continue to use that term when she feels like it.

I felt zero anger and a little amusement at the whole incident.

I feel more anger when my own son is called a f*cking paki back in my home town of Wallingford Oxfordshire - on a daily basis - and when he

had 2 bags of flour thrown over him by 'schoolmates' I felt the need to educate their parents.

So when I am called a farang ( bird shit or not) I smile and feel happy that my son is popular and happier over here ( ieven it it's not always genuine )

531_zps460f40df.jpg

ps he was 13 when this pic was taken last Xmas and sadly he and the young lady have gone their separate ways laugh.png

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

I was called Farang Kee Nok in a local Dor Lung ( Walking st market) in Kalasin last night.

My wife also heard the words and had a right go at the lady who uttered them.

She was all smiles as it transpired I teach her brother at the local school.

She apologised but no doubt will continue to use that term when she feels like it.

I felt zero anger and a little amusement at the whole incident.

I feel more anger when my own son is called a f*cking paki back in my home town of Wallingford Oxfordshire - on a daily basis - and when he

had 2 bags of flour thrown over him by 'schoolmates' I felt the need to educate their parents.

So when I am called a farang ( bird shit or not) I smile and feel happy that my son is popular and happier over here ( ieven it it's not always genuine )

531_zps460f40df.jpg

ps he was 13 when this pic was taken last Xmas and sadly he and the young lady have gone their separate ways laugh.png

I'm happy that your son is happier

It f#cking angers me when my children are subjected to racial differences in my home town, i'ts happened a couple of times to my eldest- i've found the best way to deal with it so far is by educating my children to others ignorance of the world, however i'm prepared to talk to the parents and bypass the school/normal channels in the future and reason with them at first. Then if that fails i will knock on the parents door at 5am and inform them that i intend to do to them what i would like to do to their child if it continues.(It workedfor a friend of mine);-)

• Like 2

It f#cking angers me when my children are subjected to racial differences in my home town, i'ts happened a couple of times to my eldest- i've found the best way to deal with it so far is by educating my children to others ignorance of the world, however i'm prepared to talk to the parents and bypass the school/normal channels in the future and reason with them at first. Then if that fails i will knock on the parents door at 5am and inform them that i intend to do to them what i would like to do to their child if it continues.(It workedfor a friend of mine);-)

First chonabot, you have a very fine looking son there and I am sure he will have the attention of many ladies in his life. :)

It also makes me feel better that there are people like you two willing to say something and make a stand. I always felt that if no one says anything then people think that is quite acceptable to do or say such things because no one has told them not to. Then it becomes common place. Too common place actually. And when I hear about insults to your children, it makes me angry too because your children are a part of my people, and an attack on your children is an attack on me. Frankly I think the world needs more people like you two. :)

• Like 1