Bangkok Cabdrivers Protest Penalty For Refusing Fares

webfact

i have lived in Bangkok for 6 years,and find the taxi drivers in this city to be the best in the world,not to mention the cheapest.

Have been refused twice in 6 years,and i do take taxi's often.

The only problem is they sometimes do not know the destination ,but with me very limited Thai i can usually direct them.

I never wait more than one minute for a cab.

Before you start bashing Bangkok taxis,just remember other cities around the world.In London you need a bank loan for a short journey.

Well done Bangkok taxi drivers ,you are doing a great job.

We are not talking about the cab fares, we are talking about the cab drivers and service. Best in the world?? cheesy.gif Im guessing the only other place youve ever been is India then?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a world of highly regulated .... and highly priced taxis - like London and New York a universal-carry requirement is fair between cab drivers and passengers. In Bangkok, where the balance is entirely with the passenger (fares are ludicrously cheap), a universal-carry requirement is wholly inequitable on the cab industry. Cab drivers are right to protest. Alternatively cab drivers should have negotiated a general fare increase for the extra burden.

I dont expect any supporters for this viewrolleyes.gif . Everybody wants the other guy to pay.

No, I have no connection with the cab driving industry but my consulting days included advising on regulation and privatisation.

I can understand the problem for SOME taxi drivers when they are renting their taxis and must return them to a specific location by a certain time or pay extra (as well as get crap from another waiting driver), but on far too many occasions, it's just because they don't want to go to your location, either too far, wrong direction, or too much traffic....

As far as the complaints go, I've complained twice using the old system, and actually got a confirmation call about 3 months later saying action had been taken. Exactly what action I didn't ask, but at least it proves they did follow up complaints.

For this new system, can someone post this info:-

Phone Numbers to call

EXACTLY what information they require, e.g. Drive Name on Card? Driver Number? Car Registration? etc.

Website for Reporting as mentioned in the article

IMHO it's the fact that few people make formal complaints that lets them get away with what they do. Wingeing on forums changes nothing, Using the system at least helps formalize the extent of the problem, and if nothing else, reminding the BiB of their new duties to deal with taxi complaints should be a laugh and make it much higher profile LOL.

Don't forget to take the officer's full name, and perhaps even ask for a report number for when you follow up later. smile.png

I agree it's annoying when you get knocked back for a taxi but personally I think it's a bit pathetic reporting them. At the end of the days taxi drivers in BKK are brutally underpaid. I always give them a good tip because there's no way they're making a good living - 250 baht from the airport to central Bangkok is just way too low. It should be about 500

I agree it's annoying when you get knocked back for a taxi but personally I think it's a bit pathetic reporting them. At the end of the days taxi drivers in BKK are brutally underpaid. I always give them a good tip because there's no way they're making a good living - 250 baht from the airport to central Bangkok is just way too low. It should be about 500

Just arrived here? On what basis and by which standards do you assume they are not making a good living? The fares are fixed and standard (supposedly), if they weren't making 'good' money they would either be campaigning to up the rates, or doing another job.

i have lived in Bangkok for 6 years,and find the taxi drivers in this city to be the best in the world,not to mention the cheapest.

Have been refused twice in 6 years,and i do take taxi's often.

The only problem is they sometimes do not know the destination ,but with me very limited Thai i can usually direct them.

I never wait more than one minute for a cab.

Before you start bashing Bangkok taxis,just remember other cities around the world.In London you need a bank loan for a short journey.

Well done Bangkok taxi drivers ,you are doing a great job.

We are not talking about the cab fares, we are talking about the cab drivers and service. Best in the world?? cheesy.gif Im guessing the only other place youve ever been is India then?

Maybe he was on holiday at Phuket, before?

Maybe i am the only one here (judging by responses) but i dont think taxi's should be forced to take any fare. I live a bit north of the city and get refused more times than not but its only a matter of seconds before another one pulls up and agrees. I would not want to be forced to take on any business in my line of work, i love having the right to tell people to p**s off if I dont want their business. The only thing i dont like is when they dont want to use the meter.

Be fair. If I was a driver and had to complete a two hour fare if I was due to knock off in an hour I'd politely refuse. I'm self employed if I don't want to do a job I won't and would hate some shiney arse civil servant telling me otherwise.

Surely a line to report them driving like tw#ts would be better

while we're at it, might as well include some penalty for the disgusting habit of cab drivers opening the driver side door to spit on the road at traffic lights or when stationary... winder what makes them want to spit so much....hmm...

We have a driver at our temple in Lopburi, been our driver for approx. 5 years, he has got to constantly open the window and spit. In a 30 min drive, he will roll down his window and spit at least 10 times. It's disgusting. bah.gif

Don't use him

Just arrived here? On what basis and by which standards do you assume they are not making a good living? The fares are fixed and standard (supposedly), if they weren't making 'good' money they would either be campaigning to up the rates, or doing another job.

Just do the rough maths on fuel prices, car maintenance/rental and rough daily income, it's not a well paid job, and the prices have hardly increased at all, and definitely not in line with inflation over the last 20 years. And yes they do campaign for increases, but have got very little.

Just because I say the above, you should not assume I am a taxi lover. On many occasions I have come close to blows with them, and find about 50% to be crude ignorant fools that laze around doing as little as possible. On the other hand there are pleasant, polite and even helpful drivers who do deserve the chance to earn a reasonable living.....

It's not a simple issue to deal with, but I think that they should at least have to accept passengers to desinations within a few miles (3-5 miles) radius, unless there is a very good reason (e.g. abusive/rude/legless passengers).

As far as shared taxis are concerned, if a fixed changeover time is agreed (perhaps midnight and noon), then another exception could be 1 hour before changeover as an acceptable excuse for not taking fares. Just a a suggestion.....

Maybe i am the only one here (judging by responses) but i dont think taxi's should be forced to take any fare. I live a bit north of the city and get refused more times than not but its only a matter of seconds before another one pulls up and agrees. I would not want to be forced to take on any business in my line of work, i love having the right to tell people to p**s off if I dont want their business. The only thing i dont like is when they dont want to use the meter.

Its simple isn't it, an hour/30 minutes before the taxi driver is due to return his taxi he should look at his watch and where he is. Then assess how long its going to take him to get back to his base. If its gonna take him that amount of time or longer to get back SWITCH OFF his for hire sign and drive back. Its easy........oh wait that requires forward thinking and common sense, not in the job requirement or skills possessed by a Bangkok cabbie.

Not much else to be said. All have covered it, only issue is of course, you threaten the driver of exposure and then you are his property for the duration of the cab ride. That alone can be a test of your endurance between his putting the radio up so loud to point of pain, farting, and of course the hispeed weaving and lane hopping - it may be better to sit in solitude and wait for another. Vengeance and sweet revenge is not necessarily the right path here to prove your point.

Don´t they all do that anyway??

• Like 1

while we're at it, might as well include some penalty for the disgusting habit of cab drivers opening the driver side door to spit on the road at traffic lights or when stationary... winder what makes them want to spit so much....hmm...

We have a driver at our temple in Lopburi, been our driver for approx. 5 years, he has got to constantly open the window and spit. In a 30 min drive, he will roll down his window and spit at least 10 times. It's disgusting. bah.gif

Don't use him

Dont use HIM?

STop Taking TAXI'S Take a bus and save the energy, turn off the air conditioner and take a cold shower, Justice will be served when We SAVE THE POWER!

Use your camera phone to take a picture of their license (in the front window) and their plate (especially if you don't know Thai letters). Good luck on Suk Soi 4. Not quite sure though if this is fair to a taxi where you have to go to a remote location, and they have to 'deadhead' back.

Don't use him

Dont use HIM?

STop Taking TAXI'S Take a bus and save the energy, turn off the air conditioner and take a cold shower, Justice will be served when We SAVE THE POWER!

Oh, so this must be your reasoning for heaping me into the rest of Bangkok's "selfish and overconsuming society." Give me a break! I'm as much for saving the environment as any person could reasonably be, and I do sit on a bus or commuter van for an average of about three hours a day. If it wasn't for the dangerous traffic and pollution, I'd ride my bicycle despite the heat and humidity! I never use AC when I'm alone (girlfriend can't live without it but gives me a sore throat), and take "cold" showers anyway because the water here is warm without any heating. To judge me or anyone else based entirely upon knowing that we've taken a few taxis in the last month is absolutely preposterous.

Edited by Albacore

Don't use him

Dont use HIM?

Thats why we take taxis..............................to avoid people like YOU on the bus

Be fair. If I was a driver and had to complete a two hour fare if I was due to knock off in an hour I'd politely refuse. I'm self employed if I don't want to do a job I won't and would hate some shiney arse civil servant telling me otherwise.

Surely a line to report them driving like tw#ts would be better

I see your

You try getting a taxi on the meter outside MBK, if you can the I'll believe it's making a difference.
Or outside any Nice hotel with the "I won't move Taxi Mafioso's for les than 300 baht" Soi 11 especially. - from my hotel window, I see taxi's placing the no parking cones across from the hotels, and paying each other to change shifts.........hotel security is also on the take...........wonder where they get the cones, "Oh, the BIB are renting them.............{:>) clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

From my experience not only hotel security is involed but the hotel in genral gets around 500 Baht per taxi a month.

Talking out your arse. HOTELS DO NOT PAY FOR TAXI'S TO HANG NEAR THEIR HOTEL. Maybe crap thai hotels do, but no 5 Star hotel wants these idiots any where near the customers. They have their own cars.

Where I agree Taxi drivers refuse way to many, I don't think the regulations is good.

Most taxi's are rented in a 12 hours shift. Needs to be returned clean and full of fuel. That can take and hour or so. Be late be fined.

Yes, if this was the case, sure it would make sense for them to say that.

But as it is nowadays, 10 taxis in a row say they are gonna go off the shift, its just pure abuse. We all know that it has gone WAY too far.

That is the reason why something has to be done!

if there REALLY was a problem with a customer and the taxi guy refused him, no one would have said anything. BUT, when it is ABUSED as it is, say 10 taxis in a row, smile and say; no no no, SOMETHING has to be done!!

Sure it is not optimal for any taxi driver, but when they abuse the right to refuse a customer to the point where everyone who uses taxis on a reguilar basis and live and work in Bangkok, are frustrated not being able to get a ride.

S O M E T H I N G, has to be done!!!

I see your

You try getting a taxi on the meter outside MBK, if you can the I'll believe it's making a difference.
Or outside any Nice hotel with the "I won't move Taxi Mafioso's for les than 300 baht" Soi 11 especially. - from my hotel window, I see taxi's placing the no parking cones across from the hotels, and paying each other to change shifts.........hotel security is also on the take...........wonder where they get the cones, "Oh, the BIB are renting them.............{:>) clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

From my experience not only hotel security is involed but the hotel in genral gets around 500 Baht per taxi a month.

Talking out your arse. HOTELS DO NOT PAY FOR TAXI'S TO HANG NEAR THEIR HOTEL. Maybe crap thai hotels do, but no 5 Star hotel wants these idiots any where near the customers. They have their own cars.

But they do hang around 5 star hotels and the security staff of these hotels do accept bribes to let them loiter there, harassing and extorting guests. The hotel top management are either too scared to do anything about it or are involved in too many scams of their own.

Edited by Arkady

I was in Bangkok this week and stayed at the Woraburi Hotel in soi 4 Nana my daughter and her b/f wanted to go to the Kings Palace by cab cos it was pi**ing down with rain. Every cab we asked said no about 10 of them, when i said to one you should not refuse a fare he offered me his phone to call the call centre to complain. I walked up to Sukhumvit about 1 hour later and I counted 48 taxis empty sitting around waiting for that long journey, stupid drivers! Same as anything in Thailand to complain is a total waste of time. I was the owner of a cab company in Milton Keynes, England if one of our drivers refused a fare he was logged off for 20 mins losing about a fiver or more if he keep on doing it his radio would be taken out, this was the private hire side of the business the Taxis drivers would loss their licence for keep refusing fares when reported.

The parked taxies on Sukhumvit Soi 4, next to the hotels are scammers posing as taxi drivers. They all pay the police a monthly fee/fine.

They only want 'first time' visitors as customers so they can try to scam, defraud them.

An honest, ethical taxi driver won't be allowed to join the queue.

Same same in front of EVERY tourist hotel in town.

This leaves a great impression on visitors.

The new system won't effect them.

My cabbie this afternoon complained that he refused a fair due to heavy rain and was reported, resulting in an "informal" fine of 200 baht.

I would say, heavy rain is a reason,....., to use a taxi, isn't it?

Did you ask 'your cabbie', will he refuse again, or do the fair, next time?

Only to know, if the 200 baht was(n't) high enough!

Edited by noob7

Walk into any hotel/guesthouse, business etc. Ask them to call a cab for you, you will have a cab in 5 minutes. You will pay a 20 Bhat dispatch fee. The dispatcher will never refuse to send a taxi and chances are one is just around the corner.

The same one that may refuse you on the street will come if called from dispatcher.

Edited by Colabamumbai
  • Like 1