Bangkok 'pretty' Left Unconscious After Botched Bootleg Injection

webfact

Bangkok 'pretty' left unconscious after botched bootleg injection

By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A 33-year-old "pretty" is lying unconscious in a Bangkok ICU after a botched operation to inject collagen into her thighs left her brain starved of oxygen.

Doctors at Kluai Nam Thai 1 Hospital say they don’t know if Athitaya “Kratae” Iamyai will ever be the same again.

Kratae’s 62-year-old father, Lamiat Khetkhan, told Daily News that his daughter had supported the whole family as a “pretty” – an attractive female host and presenter – for 10 years.

He said he was devastated at the news.

“We thought of Kratae as the pillar of our family, who earned money to look after her younger sister and mum and dad,” he said. “All [we] hope is for our daughter to get better.”

According to “Pim,” a fellow “pretty”, on September 16 Kratae and a ladyboy friend had gone to a condominium in Lad Phrao for an appointment with a man claiming to be a doctor.

The man, who gave his name as “Pop,” had promised to inject collagen into Kratae’s thighs for THB40,000. Such operations usually cost THB70,000, Pim said.

Pim said Pop gave Kratae an injection, but after 5-10 minutes she started to have trouble breathing. Then she began to lose consciousness.

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...tleg-injection/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-09-20

footer_n.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in pursuit of cosmetic beauty........

There have been innumerable cases of people dying and being left permanently scarred / damaged by cosmetic surgery and procedures all throughout the World. Every time I see these stories I do feel a pang of pity mixed with a pang of disdain as to why people need to be so vain.

Then again a bit of vanity doesn't deserve this type of outcome, so I wish this young lady all the best in her recovery, and I hope people considering cosmetic surgery and procedures understand what they are risking.

Any Doctor worth his salt will tell you that no cosmetic procedure is zero risk......so unless it's essential, don't risk it.

But actually wanting bigger thighs? just eat 50 ks worth of big macs.

The obsession with body image has sinister repercussions, especially when quacks are involved. No surgery is without risk, let alone that done by an unqualified charlatan. I hope this girl recovers, but fear the worst. Let it be shouted from the rooftops as an object warning, so that other women may be spared the potential fate of this beautiful young woman. How utterly ghastly.

• Like 1

By the way.........there are essential cosmetic procedures, people who have been born badly deformed or injured in accidents for example. By definition these procedures also carry risks but the benefits are far more tangible and essential in these cases.

In this particular topic it's vanity cosmetic procedures.......so that's a different matter altogether.

There have been innumerable cases of people dying and being left permanently scarred / damaged by cosmetic surgery and procedures all throughout the World. Every time I see these stories I do feel a pang of pity mixed with a pang of disdain as to why people need to be so vain.

Then again a bit of vanity doesn't deserve this type of outcome, so I wish this young lady all the best in her recovery, and I hope people considering cosmetic surgery and procedures understand what they are risking.

Any Doctor worth his salt will tell you that no cosmetic procedure is zero risk......so unless it's essential, don't risk it.

But actually wanting bigger thighs? just eat 50 ks worth of big macs.

You design the food that will target a body area for size increase and you'll be a Millionaire..............

You design a food that will increase the size of breasts only and you'll be a Billionaire..............

You design a food that will increase penis size then you'll be a Trillionaire................

You design a food that increases the mental capacity of TV members and you'll get the Nobel Prize for Medicine.

Carry on. coffee1.gif

Wheres my Nobel Prize ? ermm.gif ................................laugh.png
  • Like 2

My wife brought a news item on this to my attention earlier.

Sadly she appears to be deeply comatosed looking at a view of her in the hospital bed.

IMHO the Thai media and in particular Television channels have a lot to answer for regarding advertising beauty products and treatments.

Then we get the greedy money making celebrities irresponsibly publicising them and making a statement by their presence that it is fashionable and " hip " to use the them.

It,s about time they got around to introducing meaningful laws and ethical guidelines relating to what can and what cannot be advertised in relation to not only health and beauty matters but many questionable subjects.

May you regain consciousness “Kratae” and the B*st*rd who provided this service get some meaningful punishment for their actions.

marshbags mellow.png

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

Can anybody explain to me what is a pretty?

They are the girls in high heels and tight dresses at car shows, sales conferences, etc.

Paid to stand around and look pretty. At 33 too old to work any more.

Not paid to have sex as another poster has suggested.

No doubt the poor ladies work opportunities were getting smaller

as she started closing in on her 'Pretty' expiry date. Sad, but fact of life in the biz.

So she didn't quit have the cash for the real thing and tried the cheapo version

and paid thew price.

I have a past acquaintance who did the ladyboy wants to help me thing,and let her inject chicken cartilage in her nose rather than pay the 6,000 baht for a real nose job. Poor girl had to have it surgically scrapped out with much of her existing nose cartilage, and looked 100 times worst than before she tired this 2,000 baht vanity short cut. They did save some of her now, but last I had seen, she had a year wait for the internal damage to be repaired, before she could got for a proper nose job, but one twice as expensive because of the damage cause by the cheap way.

Really sad but at least she isn't half brain dead in an ICU.

Edited by animatic

... and a bigger paycheck.

I agree with your points about cosmetic surgery 100%, the risks and the balance between beauty and health.

But if she was, in fact, a "pretty", hired simply to look good- there's a different dynamic.

Just as athletes will trash their bodies with steroids to succeed, a few points on the "beauty-meter" can make a huge difference in the financial standing of a model.

The possibility (real- or just pounded in by incessant advertising) that it can add to each paycheck, or add to the number of paychecks, or the number of years she can draw those paychecks can be a strong lure. Especially when the alternatives for employment are limited.

I don't think she made the right decision- if only based on the results. But I don't paint her an idiot either as some posters seem to toss out so easily.

“We thought of Kratae as the pillar of our family, who earned money to look after her younger sister and mum and dad,” he said. “All [we] hope is for our daughter to get better.”

Typical Thai response, obviously mum, dad and sister can't support themselves, so the woman has to put herself at risk to continue supporting the free loading family!

Agree, that was exactly my thought as well. At 33 her opportunities would be getting fewer and she would be under considerable pressure from her mum, dad and sister to continue making enough money to keep them in a style that they had become accustomed to. I do hope she fully recovers, but also hope her "loving" family have to get off their lazy asses and do some work.

It is very easy for any of us to make such comments, but they may be underpinned by unqualified assumptions. Do we really know that her family are living a good life style, or that they are lazy (OK, I know there are many instances of this) ...or might there be some mitigating circumstances, such as serious illness, or major disability? On the other hand, I am making an assumption that you do not know the family in question: if I am wrong, then I apologise......Maybe in that case, you could give us an update on how everyone is coping with this tragedy.

I hope that whatever their situation, they can pull together to care for the poor girl until she makes (a hoped-for) full recovery.

Anyone who has been in sales would be lying to you if they said physical appearances don't matter. If you have an attractive lady selling you a car compared to a fat slob selling you the same car, who are you going to buy it from? Odd's are you're likely to pay MORE from the attractive woman. It's human nature. She was trying to keep her job. Sad but true.

Anyone who has been in sales would be lying to you if they said physical appearances don't matter. If you have an attractive lady selling you a car compared to a fat slob selling you the same car, who are you going to buy it from? Odd's are you're likely to pay MORE from the attractive woman. It's human nature. She was trying to keep her job. Sad but true.

In Thailand I would buy from whoever could do quickest delivery or best price.

• Like 2

I give the poor girl the benefit of the doubt. I don't think she took the risk for vanity. I think it was a business decision so she could continue to be the breadwinner as long as possible. People do whatever they can to survive. Who the hell are we to judge?!

haha we posted it at the same time. I agree with you! People are so judgmental on here!

In some other places they are called "umbrella girls" or simply hostesses. They are not prostitutes (obviously there may be some of them playing on the side, but it is not part of their job).

I hope she recovers as much as possible.

• Like 1

In Thailand I would buy from whoever could do quickest delivery or best price.

haha lets say everything is exactly equal. delivery time. The car, the options. The only difference is who is selling it to you. You're likely to buy it from the more attractive person. Whether they be male or female.

Typical Thai response, obviously mum, dad and sister can't support themselves, so the woman has to put herself at risk to continue supporting the free loading family!

Agree, that was exactly my thought as well. At 33 her opportunities would be getting fewer and she would be under considerable pressure from her mum, dad and sister to continue making enough money to keep them in a style that they had become accustomed to. I do hope she fully recovers, but also hope her "loving" family have to get off their lazy asses and do some work.

It is very easy for any of us to make such comments, but they may be underpinned by unqualified assumptions. Do we really know that her family are living a good life style, or that they are lazy (OK, I know there are many instances of this) ...or might there be some mitigating circumstances, such as serious illness, or major disability? On the other hand, I am making an assumption that you do not know the family in question: if I am wrong, then I apologise......Maybe in that case, you could give us an update on how everyone is coping with this tragedy.

I hope that whatever their situation, they can pull together to care for the poor girl until she makes (a hoped-for) full recovery.

Rob8891, you may well be correct, I made the post on the way I read the OP. I am reasonably sure that if there were some mitigating circumstances, such as serious illness, or major disability, the father would not have hesitated to mention them, as he had no hesitation mentioning that she was the bread winner for the family. If he was truly only concerned for his daughters welfare, he could have simply said so, no need to add that the family relied on her for money.

I have to say I don't think I have seen a more narcissistic race of people. Go through any of the big stores and they sit around, males and females preening themselves, even the motorcycle taxi guys can be seen preening in front of their mirrors. So, sadly, it is inevitable that this kind of tragic event will happen and so called 'doctors' will be out to make a buck. I remember going into a large well to do hospital once and there at the entrance was a bevy of beauties, in their short shorts and thigh high boots advertising some slimming programme. Or at the gym where the farangs just grab any old pair of grotty shorts and T shirt and get into it, but there was this Thai guy with his beautifully whitened shoes and matching top and bottoms, standing in front of a mirror...' hmmm, collar up..no collar down ... no collar up ... oh dam_n I've got a pimple...'