2013 Platinum Px250 Enduro 67,000B

NomadJoe

"it is is sold in 254 countries" Next time use a calculator.

I am quite impressed with the Shineray. Pity you can't road register them. I'd consider opening a dealership here in Pattaya if they could be legal on the road.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have serious reservations with Platinum motorcycles, but everybody can improve there act. Still 67,000 THB seems a bit much, my hope is on Shineray that they can get homologation for their Shineray XY250GY-4 motorcycle it only costs 38,000 THB (currently not road legal). I know two persons who have a Platinum, one has a PX125 and the other a PX175 and they seem happy with it, but all the bad things I hear about Platinum cannot be all lies...

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

The Shineray XY250GY-4 comes with 18" wheels so it should be easy to get regular "supermotard" road tires for it without the need to change the rims... The Shineray XY250GY-4 is powered by a 230cc air-cooled engine presumably made by Zongshen

Here is my two-penneth....... If I had to buy a cheap bike for playing in the dirt it wouldn't be the Platinum, anyone who fits a drum brake on an off-road bike can't be that experienced, so what is the rest of the bike like? The above Shineray seems much more sensible, 250cc (perfect) cheaper too and who wants it to be road legal anyway, knocking the crap out of a bike off-road and then riding it in the city of highway ...my dee?

38,000baht is not a lot of dough for a lot of fun and when it breaks get the welder and hammer out, no need to worry about bits breaking off, superglue is cheap here.

AllanB, what's got into you? smile.png

As long as you don't go mud diving it shouldn't really matter if rear disc or drum brake. And these thingies are no "off-road bikes", they are "Enduros", made to go a bit off road while mainly be driven on the street. Same as the Honda CRF or the KLX. If you stress these kind of bikes too hard off road they will fall to pieces sooner or later smile.png

This is Thailand mate...and what happens in Thailand?......it rains....and what happens when it rains?....it gets muddy...very muddy. So what do you do, stay home when conditions are the most fun? giggle.gif

Drum brakes are just the worse thing to have in mud and water. Short term they don't work, medium term they never work again. This looks like a dirt bike to me and according to quite a few youtube vids, it goes like a dirt bike, Enduro is an extremely optimistic term for this lightweight sucker, costing loose change money.. Beamers and KTM, they are Enduros.

Of course they will fall to pieces that is why they invented welders and superglue. If you must go into the jungle go prepared, brown trousers and matching boxers, if not there are millions of miles of trails here. Heaven compared to the UK where all the good land is owned by some rich bastard with 100 miles of barbed wire.

I am almost talking myself into buying one............... I said that out loud didn't I?

Just - do - it

We want pictures of your mud parties with a china bike. The next rain season sure will come!

biggrin.png

I used to take the Honda Wave out after a rainstorm, fun, but a real bugga with road tyres, almost came off 100 times, really coveted a dirt bike and didn't know they sold nobbly tyres for the Wave.

Did loads of off-roading in the UK, Europe, even Russia, always thought it would be better on a bike. A damn sight cheaper anyway.

So you have no experience

In what context?

I had a 350 Aprillia too in the UK, but with a just a few green lanes available, not so much fun going over the same ground. Have I done the Dakar, no, but one step up from that, I took part in the 2002 Ladoga Trophy, in Russia, so I know a bit about driving in wet conditions.

In terms of drum brakes, they fit them to some off-road vehicles and they are a maintenance nightmare, a perfect receptacle for storing shit..

Beats me why they fit drums to anything, they are less efficient, not inherently self adjusting, heavier and more expensive to manufacture too, Maybe someone else knows the reason.

In what context?

I had a 350 Aprillia too in the UK, but with a just a few green lanes available, not so much fun going over the same ground. Have I done the Dakar, no, but one step up from that, I took part in the 2002 Ladoga Trophy, in Russia, so I know a bit about driving in wet conditions.

Your post in 244 seemed to be saying that you would like to have tried off-roading with a motorbike.

Off-roading on 4 wheels is different and the experience doesn't carry much over to bikes.

However I agree with you about drums being crap.

In what context?

Your post in 244 seemed to be saying that you would like to have tried off-roading with a motorbike.

Off-roading on 4 wheels is different and the experience doesn't carry much over to bikes.

However I agree with you about drums being crap.

Having done a lot of one and only a little of the other, I kind of agree, but I was referring to drum brakes when I drew the comparison.

That is why I would choose the Shineray XY250GY over the Platinum, regardless of the price and also why I wouldn't use the latter on the highway or the city, hence no need for a green book. Save 50% and get a much better machine, it's a no brainer.

Going back to the 4 wheel comparison, not too many off-roaders use their 4x4s for work or the shops, first of all they are covered in crap, they usually sustain some sort of damage and their wives don't want to ride in something that is uncomfortable, dirty, rattly and 6 feet off the ground. With the costs involved much lower with bikes, surely the same is true with having two bikes.

Those who do have only one vehicle don't have as much fun, they are scared of stuffing it and not being able to get to work in the morning.........

Well the best solution to mud and water getting into the drum brake is to drill some drain holes around the drum itself. Just not in the friction area though!

Agree, that's definitely a good way to get mud and water into the drum brakes.

It's not the first time that the Phuket Platipus dealership closed the doors and disappeared into the night. Contacting their headquarters in Bangkok is no use, they don't feel responsible.

But what do you expect when you buy a Chinese product that costs you less than half as much as a KLX250?

Edited by Rolo Tomazi

A suddenly closed business is indicative more of Thai business practice than it is of the machinery sold. Many mobile phone shops come and go, but it does not change the quality of the brands they sell.

As always, the problem with the lesser brands is the dealer network and support. No surprise at all.

Well the last time the dealership closed because they were taking parts off their inventory bikes to fix the many bikes that came in after only a few weeks. My buddy never got a plate on his bike because the shop closed before getting him one. No book, no plate, Then the mechanical problems started.

After wasting a lot of money on repairs he tried to sell it but nobody wanted to give him even 10,000 baht for it.

But what do you expect when you buy a Chinese product that costs you less than half as much as a KLX250?

Obviously not all of us...

The low price is too tempting to some, and on the showroom floor they look really nice.

But bikes for that kind of price can't be any good!

About a year ago these little bikes were the fashion, they looked like Honda Monekys, but with 125cc. Chinese made.

Not expensive, people bought them like crazy. One year later you hardly see any of them anymore.

Well the best solution to mud and water getting into the drum brake is to drill some drain holes around the drum itself. Just not in the friction area though!

Are you guys completely nuts? I think you have been in Thailand too long.

When you start talking about drilling random holes in a brake drum of a brand new bike, you have to conclude that you bought the wrong bike.

Why not buy a bike with the right brakes for the job? Which has more power, more torque and costs half as much?

With the money left over you can buy a road bike to get you work when you have broken the fun bike, that way the lack of green book is not an issue for trips into the city. I just picked up a mint Wave for 15,000 baht.

When you start talking about drilling random holes in a brake drum of a brand new bike, you have to conclude that you bought the wrong bike.

Why not buy a bike with the right brakes for the job? Which has more power, more torque and costs half as much?

With the money left over you can buy a road bike to get you work when you have broken the fun bike, that way the lack of green book is not an issue for trips into the city. I just picked up a mint Wave for 15,000 baht.

No owner of the Platinum has talked about such nonsense :)

You already bought your Shineray, a bike "Which has more power, more torque and costs half as much"? Why not open a Shineray thread and show some pictures of your mud parties?

A bike without greenbook is worth nothing for me. If Shineray gets their bikes legal then i may would consider one for their current price.

No owner of the Platinum has talked about such nonsense smile.png

You already bought your Shineray, a bike "Which has more power, more torque and costs half as much"? Why not open a Shineray thread and show some pictures of your mud parties?

A bike without greenbook is worth nothing for me. If Shineray gets their bikes legal then i may would consider one for their current price.

Wooooow, I didn't say i had bought a Shineray, but am thinking about it.

Normally I would agree with you about needing a green book, but I think a dirt bike, or scrambler as we used to call them, is different and I live in Isaan, so can still ride it throughout the countryside too, leaving my much more suitable Honda Wave for the city..

If you are talking about a proper Enduro for expedition use, then no Chinese bike is worth a fart. So it begs the question what is the Platinum for? It sure as hell ain't what it professes to be, an Enduro, well only if it is dark, you squint, sit on it and dream of being in the Paris-Dakar.

If you just want to have scream in the mud, spend 32k and have some fun on a Shiteray.

^

Put some knobbies on your Wave and just do your personal "wet and muddy Paris-Dakar". No need saving money for cheap chinese bikes at all. An old Wave and a Phantom can do it all. Close your eyes and dream you are on a KLX or on a Harley. Some Carabao music may help too laugh.png

^

Put some knobbies on your Wave and just do your personal "wet and muddy Paris-Dakar". No need saving money for cheap chinese bikes at all. An old Wave and a Phantom can do it all. Close your eyes and dream you are on a KLX or on a Harley. Some Carabao music may help too laugh.png

Okay, you win, it is a great bike....giggle.gif

Are you guys completely nuts? I think you have been in Thailand too long.

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Not completely........but I am working on it! wacko.png

Holly Wheel!.bmp

Edited by BSJ