Drunk Driving Crackdown In Force

khwaibah

Drunk driving crackdown in force

n1-drunk.jpg

Police are breathalyzing drivers at checkpoints around the city in a bid to reduce the number of accidents and deaths caused by drunk driving. (Photo courtesy of Chiang Mai Municipality)

Shana Kongmun

The Provincial Police, Chiang Mai Muang Police and Municipality have announced that checkpoints will be in place around the city starting from 8 p.m. to crack down on the growing problem of drunk driving.

According to the Ministry of Interior, a driver would be considered as drunk if he/she has a blood alcohol content of .05%. The drunk driving laws were recently tightened and drinking in a vehicle by any occupant is now illegal. Penalties will also be imposed on drinkers in vehicles parked on sidewalks or shoulders of public roads, including sois, regardless of whether or not the vehicles are moving.

The fine for drinking in a vehicle is 60,000 Baht and/or 6 months in prison. Additionally drunk drivers face fines up to 50,000 Baht and/or up to one year in prison. Driving licenses would be suspended for no less than 6 months or permanently revoked.

Chiang Mai recently ranked 3rd in the nation for number of road accident deaths behind Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima. It is the fifth leading cause of death in the nation with most of the deaths due to not wearing a helmet and drunk driving.

Chiang Mai Mail

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police are breathalyzing drivers at checkpoints around the city in a bid to reduce the number of accidents and deaths caused by drunk driving

Bit late in the day.

Just think how they could drastically reduce the number of accidents and deaths caused by 'normal' driving if they made lessons mandatory and the passing of tests nonobligatory!

• Like 2

It is neccessary to enforce this law. However to be fair on the community of Chiangmai the next thing that should be sorted out is a decent public transport network, so that those who drink late at night can get home. Initially in the main farrang bar areas I reckon there will be reduction of punters, as this new law is enforced. Police are tightening up big time and using this new law to pull anyone over for any reason. Myself and a friend were driving over Narawat bridge last week, both had helmets and the bike was taxed. The copper could see all this, asked for licence which was at home. He insisted it needed to be produced now or we would get a ticket. He then insisted on taking the keys for the bike until the fine was paid at the police station nearby. Thankfully my friend refused to hand over the keys. Walked around the block and hopped back on the bike. If they want to act like they are protecting drivers than a 7 day producer, which is used in most cases should be the law, instead of abusing their power for a quick buck!

Why do they have to give advanced warning that its going to start 1st October,

Lots of Thais are dangerous drivers when they are sober,especially chatting

on the mobile,dont think drink driving is taken as seriously as it should be here.

It will only last a short period ,just in time for the New Year carnage.

regards Worgeordie

If indeed this means that fewer men are gathering in the town bars for a night's pint, does that not suggest more attention from wait-staff? Possibility of better service? Even choice of servers? Opportunities galore for those of moderate habits in drinking? A good thing?

I mean, what's the problem?

I'd imagine this will be difficult to enforce because most of the Chiang Mai policemen I know are too drunk to stand by 8pm let alone wave a red baton and direct other drunk drivers to the side of the road. I guess, the incredibly naive will believe this is sincere. Let's come back to this thread in a few months. If this 'crackdown' has been enforced consistently, I'll eat my laptop.

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 2

If indeed this means that fewer men are gathering in the town bars for a night's pint, does that not suggest more attention from wait-staff? Possibility of better service? Even choice of servers? Opportunities galore for those of moderate habits in drinking? A good thing?

I mean, what's the problem?

Not sure what you mean. Just enter the establishment and pay the barfine and go home?

• Like 1

Wow! Draconian fines! Relatively speaking.

I know of one person who posts on TV from Sweden. Priceless, any comment about what happens to drunk drivers in various Scandinavian countries?

Actually, Priceless need not comment. Just Google it!

Edited by Mapguy

I'd imagine this will be difficult to enforce because most of the Chiang Mai policemen I know are too drunk to stand by 8pm let alone wave a red baton and direct other drunk drivers to the side of the road. I guess, the incredibly naive will believe this is sincere. Let's come back to this thread in a few months. If this 'crackdown' has been enforced consistently, I'll eat my laptop.

Oh, the police are a problem!

What else, "Loaded," have you been ingesting besides the occasional laptop? Quite a lot out there to munch on, actually! Hope you stay home when you get a "load" on. For your safety.

As well as others!

Edited by Mapguy

What else, "Loaded," have you been ingesting besides the occasional laptop? Quite a lot out there to munch on, actually! Hope you stay home when you get a "load" on. For your safety.

As well as others!

It's not a good idea to post at 23:43, is it? drunk.gif Did you drive home?

Wow! Draconian fines! Relatively speaking.

I know of one person who posts on TV from Sweden. Priceless, any comment about what happens to drunk drivers in various Scandinavian countries?

Actually, Priceless need not comment. Just Google it!

Having worked with Swedes for a number of years in Stockholm and China I can confirm that it's almost socially acceptable to tell your friends, family and employer that you have to go to jail for 30 days because you were caught DIU, it's an every day event apparently that doesn't cause much social friction at all.

I certainly think cracking down on drunk drivers is a lofty goal but maybe the government should crack down on their police to work towards having professional law enforcement. From what I have seen, Thai Police are a sad excuse for a law enforcement agency.

I was coming up Thae Pae road once in broad daylight, and a bloke in the pickup in front of us was so obviously pissed out of his tree that he was crossing over all three lanes and forcing people to brake. Not one of them made any attempt to stop him, and I was really hoping that he would drive straight into the moat, but incredibly, when he hit the moat road, he virtually stopped, and everyone just drove around him.

Thai people don't seem to care about it, so it's understandable that others will take the same attitude.

Personally I simply do not drive or even ride in Thailand, so I get as pissed as I want without any worries.

And it's not as if there isn't a mass of cheap, public transport in Thailand is it? For an expat, it's inexcusable, and anyone who gets done deserves ridicule heaped upon them for their stupidity.

Keep in mind 0.05% is low, two or three drinks could get you to that level. You may not feel drunk, but if their meter says you're over the limit....

.08 is the lowest in the states. Some of them have a .1 Personally I feel .05 is just a money grab. On the other hand if it will keep drinking drivers of the road more power to it.05 is not dunk.

I was coming up Thae Pae road once in broad daylight, and a bloke in the pickup in front of us was so obviously pissed out of his tree that he was crossing over all three lanes and forcing people to brake. Not one of them made any attempt to stop him, and I was really hoping that he would drive straight into the moat, but incredibly, when he hit the moat road, he virtually stopped, and everyone just drove around him.

Thai people don't seem to care about it, so it's understandable that others will take the same attitude.

Personally I simply do not drive or even ride in Thailand, so I get as pissed as I want without any worries.

And it's not as if there isn't a mass of cheap, public transport in Thailand is it? For an expat, it's inexcusable, and anyone who gets done deserves ridicule heaped upon them for their stupidity.

Not having any experience in the matter How much public transportation is there after midnight?

Not having any experience in the matter How much public transportation is there after midnight?

A few Tuk Tuks. sad.png

A few Tuk Tuks. sad.png

Have they finished digging that subway yet? Folk out in San Kamphaeng, Mae Rim & Hang Dong are waiting.........

• Like 2

A few Tuk Tuks. sad.png

Have they finished digging that subway yet? Folk out in San Kamphaeng, Mae Rim & Hang Dong are waiting.........

Think not. In the meantime, use your local Thai watering holes. smile.png

A few Tuk Tuks. sad.png

Think not. In the meantime, use your local Thai watering holes. smile.png

Prefer to stay home, meself. Too many sanctimonious saints hanging around CM nowadays wink.png

Police are breathalyzing drivers at checkpoints around the city in a bid to reduce the number of accidents and deaths caused by drunk driving

Bit late in the day.

Just think how they could drastically reduce the number of accidents and deaths caused by 'normal' driving if they made lessons mandatory and the passing of tests nonobligatory!

looks like the Gov has been reading happysanook's posts! Doing this at 8pm as opposed to 12am should make things a bit safer, but would far rather see them cracking down on the speeders, which absolute zero is done about...would save far more lives and prevent more accidents than cracking down on drunk driving.

no, i'm not saying drunk driving is okay - i'm saying what i said.

• Like 1

A few Tuk Tuks. sad.png

If we find that the checkpoints are consistently within the town area then it may be feasible to park just out of town and get a tuk tuk there. That's a lot more feasible than getting a tuk tuk all the way to Hang Dong, Mae Rim or Doi Saket. (Not to mention safer. rolleyes.gif)

Also looking into social sites that show checkpoint information.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Chiang Mai ranked higher than Phuket? Wow I'm surprised.

Don't be.

Because almost no-one in this country does statistics right (or just any numerical information even), so it shouldn't be a surprise that the most populous provinces come out on top. Chiang Mai is third in all kinds of things. Cotton Candy consumption is really out of control, looking at the numbers.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

A few Tuk Tuks. sad.png

If we find that the checkpoints are consistently within the town area then it may be feasible to park just out of town and get a tuk tuk there. That's a lot more feasible than getting a tuk tuk all the way to Hang Dong, Mae Rim or Doi Saket. (Not to mention safer. rolleyes.gif)

Success:

post-64232-0-68268900-1349843148_thumb.p

Bit late in the day.

looks like the Gov has been reading happysanook's posts! Doing this at 8pm as opposed to 12am should make things a bit safer, but would far rather see them cracking down on the speeders, which absolute zero is done about...would save far more lives and prevent more accidents than cracking down on drunk driving.

no, i'm not saying drunk driving is okay - i'm saying what i said.

BOTH drunk driving and speeding are the major causes of accidents, injuries and death. Factor in motorcycling and you have a really deadly mix (kamikaze driving habits, as well as overloading plus poor or no headgear and inappropriately worn ]no straps] headgear), and you probably have nailed down the major problems. Not all, but most. And all are basically caused by irresponsible drivers endangering themselves and others.

Quit blaming the cops! The problem is drivers! End of story!

A few Tuk Tuks. sad.png

Success:

post-64232-0-68268900-1349843148_thumb.p

Call a friend or call a cab, if not a tuk tuk! Got a mobile phone? Plug in the number! Cheaper than hospitals!