Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

I'd rather keep my passport with me all times, I consider it my lifeline, it goes where I go, NO MATTER WHAT! I use a Bellroy Passport sleeve to keep my Passport safe, can hold credit cards/DL, and money as well, includes a small pen for filling out custom forms, and they all stay safely in the large secure pocket of my favorite North Face Paramount Peak II Pants perfectly.

Bellroy-Leather-Passport-Sleeve-Wallet.j

5 hours ago, thedemon said:

In fact AIS (probably all operators) have some level of access to the DOPA registration system and are able to verify the identity of the cardholder from the ID number.

I doubt that mobile phone service operators have access to the database of Thai identification card numbers.

Just now, Maestro said:

I doubt that mobile phone service operators have access to the database of Thai identification card numbers.

I would have doubted that too. Until an AIS service rep showed me.

It was a couple of years ago when the Pre-paid SIM registration had started but wasn't yet mandatory. A friend visiting had lost his SIM card (that hadn't been registered). I called AIS about having a replacement issued on the same number. They informed me that, for a foreigner with passport, they would require a police report. However, for a Thai with ID card, a police report wasn't required.

So to save the hassle of making a police report, I used my ID card register the replacement SIM. The AIS rep entered my 13 digit ID number and immediately confirmed my name. 

6 hours ago, sumrit said:

I have lived in Thailand for nearly fourteen years and, like most of us who've been here for quite a while, I never carry my passport. I have always used my Thai DL for ID during that time, until I got my ID  Card, and that has always been acceptable. I have had also the same True sim number for all of that time. When I first got it there was no registration requirement for any sim. About three years or so ago registering your sim became necessary and , like everybody else, received a message to inform me of that. I went to the True shop where, initially, they asked for my Passport but when I said it was at home were happy to accept my DL as ID. They didn't insist on me getting my passport. 

The shop staff only need to see (and copy) acceptable ID but ask for the passport as a first option because that's the way they've been trained when dealing with foreigners. The girl that served me said she was fully aware of the pink ID Card, she was only hesitant because she'd never seen one before and hadn't been shown an example by her Employers.

As for 'feeling the need to be Thai' Thai nationals always use their ID Card and Tabien Baan for ID. The Government appear to be slowly encouraging 'long term expats' to apply for their own (yellow) Tabien Baan and (Pink) ID Card. If using those eventually brings continuity to the system for proving ID that shop/bank/etc staff understand and find acceptable I'm all for it. It would mean I can open a bank account, buy a sim card, rent cable TV, apply for internet, ETC, ETC, ETC in the same way as a Thai person can, without having to wait around or come back when there's a person who can understand the 'foreigner requirement system'.

Why would that not be acceptable/ Why would you want to be different?

What good fortune you had to encounter a True employee who was "fully aware" of the pink farang ID card.She is one in a thousand because most Thais checking foreigners' identity just look blank when the pink one is invoked.Certainly that was the stance of the airport security guy when I went to Phuket last week, and I had to show my passport.Try opening a bank account with the pink one (without a passport) and see how far you get.I don't incidentally think the Government has the slightest intention of "encouraging long term expats to apply."There's certainly no official guidance from the Government or the Embassies. In time perhaps a uniform system of foreigners id that is widely recognised may be in place but perhaps you are getting a little ahead of yourself.

16 hours ago, thedemon said:

I would have doubted that too. Until an AIS service rep showed me.

It was a couple of years ago when the Pre-paid SIM registration had started but wasn't yet mandatory. A friend visiting had lost his SIM card (that hadn't been registered). I called AIS about having a replacement issued on the same number. They informed me that, for a foreigner with passport, they would require a police report. However, for a Thai with ID card, a police report wasn't required.

So to save the hassle of making a police report, I used my ID card register the replacement SIM. The AIS rep entered my 13 digit ID number and immediately confirmed my name. 

Maybe because your ID number was in the system from your own account at AIS ?

14 hours ago, jayboy said:

What good fortune you had to encounter a True employee who was "fully aware" of the pink farang ID card.She is one in a thousand because most Thais checking foreigners' identity just look blank when the pink one is invoked.Certainly that was the stance of the airport security guy when I went to Phuket last week, and I had to show my passport.Try opening a bank account with the pink one (without a passport) and see how far you get.I don't incidentally think the Government has the slightest intention of "encouraging long term expats to apply."There's certainly no official guidance from the Government or the Embassies. In time perhaps a uniform system of foreigners id that is widely recognised may be in place but perhaps you are getting a little ahead of yourself.

Or perhaps she didn't really know what it was and it looked official and she didn't want to question it in case she was wrong about something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 9:22 AM, overherebc said:

Or perhaps she didn't really know what it was and it looked official and she didn't want to question it in case she was wrong about something.

Your reply to these comments are referring to a visit I made to the true shop to change my sim to a micro version. The True employee in question had been told about, and was aware of the pink ID card, but was wary because she'd never actually seen one before.

When I registered my True sim a few years ago I used my Thai DL (which contained my passport number) for ID so offered her that. She compared the details and was then happy with my ID card and updated my account on their system to show the ID card details and my Thai ID number. When she'd finished she also showed some of her colleagues what the ID CARD looked like, I assumed for future reference.

Companies such as True accept the ID card so if they were to show their customer facing employees a copy of what an actual pink ID card looks like it would save a lot of confusion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brianinbangkok said:

anybody got a ID for PR done in Sisaket province ?

Not sure you will get many replies to your question since there probably are not many people with PR in Sisaket.

You should be able to get a pink ID card at the Amphoe where you are registered in a house book without a  problem.

Not sure you will get many replies to your question since there probably are not many people with PR in Sisaket.
You should be able to get a pink ID card at the Amphoe where you are registered in a house book without a  problem.

I went to my local Amphoe office last year convinced them to do it but their computer system could just not do it. They called BKK got remote support and still could not get it to print a ID card.

Just would like to know if any progress has been made ?

If anybody has managed to get it done in Sisaket please let me know in a pm.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

2 hours ago, brianinbangkok said:

I went to my local Amphoe office last year convinced them to do it but their computer system could just not do it. They called BKK got remote support and still could not get it to print a ID card.

Just would like to know if any progress has been made ?

If anybody has managed to get it done in Sisaket please let me know in a pm.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes that used to be an issue but I believe the software bug (or whatever it was) is fixed now.

It is no longer only PR's that the card is issued to so your office is probably more familiar with the process now.

Since all your data must be entered already it should be just a 10 minute job for them to print the card. (Famous last words, I know......)

On 2013-03-04 at 1:57 PM, sas_cars said:

In my humble opinion, a driving license for a PR holder is a superior form of ID comparing to this pink id card. If you are stopped by a police officer, showing this ID will put you in more trouble since it has various restrictions on mobility of the holder, even though as you say that there's a clause for a PR which allows free mobility, but for that, you need to carry your red book which defeats the purpose of having this card in the first place.

Driving license is a much more better form of ID for a foreigner comparing this ID.

if the traffic cops stop you ...why show a PR card? 

On 1/16/2017 at 8:34 AM, muzmurray said:

It is not about what they are offered, it is about what they ask for, she asked for your passport, and any normal person would have provided it, but you seem to feel the need to be "Thai" and would only offer an ID card or DL. You were at fault, not her.

No, she should have asked for ID, and she should have been trained. I used my pink ID at the True shop without problem when I bought a new SIM card. It is much better to put the Thai ID card into the system rather than an ever-changing passport number. And who carries a large passport around with them at all times?

On 1/16/2017 at 2:48 PM, ocddave said:

I'd rather keep my passport with me all times, I consider it my lifeline, it goes where I go, NO MATTER WHAT! I use a Bellroy Passport sleeve to keep my Passport safe, can hold credit cards/DL, and money as well, includes a small pen for filling out custom forms, and they all stay safely in the large secure pocket of my favorite North Face Paramount Peak II Pants perfectly.

Bellroy-Leather-Passport-Sleeve-Wallet.j

Not only too bulky for my taste, but carrying the passport around at all times is asking for trouble. Embassies recommend to just carry photocopies. Anyway, with the pink ID, you don't need to worry about this any more, problem solved.

12 hours ago, sumrit said:

Your reply to these comments are referring to a visit I made to the true shop to change my sim to a micro version. The True employee in question had been told about, and was aware of the pink ID card, but was wary because she'd never actually seen one before.

When I registered my True sim a few years ago I used my Thai DL (which contained my passport number) for ID so offered her that. She compared the details and was then happy with my ID card and updated my account on their system to show the ID card details and my Thai ID number. When she'd finished she also showed some of her colleagues what the ID CARD looked like, I assumed for future reference.

Companies such as True accept the ID card so if they were to show their customer facing employees a copy of what an actual pink ID card looks like it would save a lot of confusion.

I like this. You have contributed to knowledge. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Not only too bulky for my taste, but carrying the passport around at all times is asking for trouble. Embassies recommend to just carry photocopies. Anyway, with the pink ID, you don't need to worry about this any more, problem solved.

Its not even remotely bulky, its not much bigger or thicker than the passport actually. Works for me, and I hate bulk with anything, especially wallets. 

2 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Its not even remotely bulky, its not much bigger or thicker than the passport actually. Works for me, and I hate bulk with anything, especially wallets. 

The passport is far too big for the wallet in my back pocket... I prefer credit-card sized cards rather than a bulky passport. But hey, everybody what he prefers.

• Like 1

Just now, onthemoon said:

The passport is far too big for the wallet in my back pocket... I prefer credit-card sized cards rather than a bulky passport. But hey, everybody what he prefers.

Back pocket?!? I wouldn't carry anything in my back pocket if you dared me, first place something will get stolen. Like I said, keep mine in a large front pocket of my hiking pants, it isn't going anywhere, and its right where I want it, never even notice its there.

1 minute ago, ocddave said:

Back pocket?!? I wouldn't carry anything in my back pocket if you dared me, first place something will get stolen. Like I said, keep mine in a large front pocket of my hiking pants, it isn't going anywhere, and its right where I want it, never even notice its there.

Well that's you. I don't wear hiking pants in my office, my choice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2013 at 7:56 PM, Dork said:

Here is a scan of my new ID card (minus the personal info)

ID.png

As mentioned in my last post, though it was processed last November there was a delay in printing the card due to a glitch in the software that wouldn't allow ID numbers beginning with 8. It was actually ready a few weeks ago but I was away so my wife picked it up.

Though the software issue is obviously now solved there is still an error on the back of the card. Because up until now the pink cards have only been issued to migrants from neighbouring countries, it is stated that "the holder must not leave the area in which the card was issued without permission". According to the template (made 5 years ago!) attached here (Template.pdf), the card for permanent residents is supposed to have that part annotated with "unless the holder has an alien certificate" - obviously referring to the infamous "red book" issued by the police. To me, even this seems flawed in that if you need to have the alien certificate to prove you can leave your local district then it somewhat defeats the purpose of having an ID card. Anyway, I would imagine that any competent official examining the card would be so perplexed that they wouldn't know what to do.

When my wife picked up the card she noticed the omitted clause and queried the Amphur about it. Since they have never had any clue about the whole process, unsurprisingly they had no answer for that either. She then called whoever is in charge at BORA (division of DOPA) to complain that since they've had 5 years to get the blank cards printed, couldn't they do better? And who is going to take responsibility in the case of a problem with say the police? The answer was that they are working on a new card now and they promised to have it ready within a couple of months. However since DOPA can't even manage to supply enough ID cards for Thai's, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully when the final version of this card is sorted out it will solve the interminable argument about the necessity of carrying a passport and be useful for many other things besides - at least for PR's.

My advice to any other PR's that want the card is to be persistent because the chance of meeting resistance at your local office is quite high. If it helps anyone trying to convince recalcitrant officers, my card was issued at Nonthaburi Amphur so getting the officer to call them may help. Good luck!

Would such a card entitle you to cross the border to Cambodia without showing your passport?

I've just had a weird discussion with somebody who told me that he's always crossing the border to Cambodia and only has to leave the pink card at the Immigration.

Sorry, if that was already answered somewhere and thanks a lot for any information on that.

Chatting to an Immigration official at Chaengwattana last week, I expressed a degree of cynicism (also expressed on this forum) about the usefulness of the pink card I recently acquired.I was surprised to be told that the pink card would in due course replace the red book, and that what is more - again in due course - the 5 year check in would be done at the amphur office not the police station.So It looks like I owe an apology to those on this forum I teased about the pink card's role.It's quite clear to me now the pink card  is a part of government policy for PRs and is here to stay.Still feel it's worth taking passport as well for time being when need arises to show identity.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2013 at 1:57 PM, sas_cars said:

In my humble opinion, a driving license for a PR holder is a superior form of ID comparing to this pink id card. If you are stopped by a police officer, showing this ID will put you in more trouble since it has various restrictions on mobility of the holder, even though as you say that there's a clause for a PR which allows free mobility, but for that, you need to carry your red book which defeats the purpose of having this card in the first place.

Driving license is a much more better form of ID for a foreigner comparing this ID.

Wasn't this thread about the pinkish cards? 

• 1 month later...

Yes that used to be an issue but I believe the software bug (or whatever it was) is fixed now.

It is no longer only PR's that the card is issued to so your office is probably more familiar with the process now.

Since all your data must be entered already it should be just a 10 minute job for them to print the card. (Famous last words, I know......)

Well went to local office and they issued me the ID card. No problems.

• 1 month later...
On 23/05/2017 at 11:36 AM, skyaslimit said:

Is it the same card for residents and non residents ? With the difference of ID numbers starting with 8 and 6 respectively?

I believe it is the same card. The difference is that numbers starting with an 8 are for Permanent Residents, and starting with a 6 are for yellow Tabien Baan holders.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/3/2013 at 7:56 PM, Dork said:

Here is a scan of my new ID card (minus the personal info)

post-50983-0-81413600-1362315244_thumb.p

As mentioned in my last post, though it was processed last November there was a delay in printing the card due to a glitch in the software that wouldn't allow ID numbers beginning with 8. It was actually ready a few weeks ago but I was away so my wife picked it up.

Though the software issue is obviously now solved there is still an error on the back of the card. Because up until now the pink cards have only been issued to migrants from neighbouring countries, it is stated that "the holder must not leave the area in which the card was issued without permission". According to the template (made 5 years ago!) attached here (Template.pdf), the card for permanent residents is supposed to have that part annotated with "unless the holder has an alien certificate" - obviously referring to the infamous "red book" issued by the police. To me, even this seems flawed in that if you need to have the alien certificate to prove you can leave your local district then it somewhat defeats the purpose of having an ID card. Anyway, I would imagine that any competent official examining the card would be so perplexed that they wouldn't know what to do.

When my wife picked up the card she noticed the omitted clause and queried the Amphur about it. Since they have never had any clue about the whole process, unsurprisingly they had no answer for that either. She then called whoever is in charge at BORA (division of DOPA) to complain that since they've had 5 years to get the blank cards printed, couldn't they do better? And who is going to take responsibility in the case of a problem with say the police? The answer was that they are working on a new card now and they promised to have it ready within a couple of months. However since DOPA can't even manage to supply enough ID cards for Thai's, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully when the final version of this card is sorted out it will solve the interminable argument about the necessity of carrying a passport and be useful for many other things besides - at least for PR's.

My advice to any other PR's that want the card is to be persistent because the chance of meeting resistance at your local office is quite high. If it helps anyone trying to convince recalcitrant officers, my card was issued at Nonthaburi Amphur so getting the officer to call them may help. Good luck!

What are the advantages of having a Thai ID card over a Thai driver's license?  A little tidbit, I've been pulled over on my motorbike about 7-8 times. All but the last time I showed an international permit and my home country license. I always got a ticket. This last time (last week) I showed my new (I got it last year) Thai driver's license and for the first time, I didn't get a ticket. I've also used my driver's license to get Thai prices where there is double pricing. 

21 minutes ago, Global Guy said:

What are the advantages of having a Thai ID card over a Thai driver's license?  A little tidbit, I've been pulled over on my motorbike about 7-8 times. All but the last time I showed an international permit and my home country license. I always got a ticket. This last time (last week) I showed my new (I got it last year) Thai driver's license and for the first time, I didn't get a ticket. I've also used my driver's license to get Thai prices where there is double pricing. 

A driver's licence is a licence to drive. That's why you didn't get fined when you got pulled over and did have one in accordance with the law.

An ID card is a card with which you prove your identity. Different animal.

Some people choose to consider the driver's licence in lieu of an ID card, but in most national parks, they won't. They are actually not allowed to any more. Neither are hotels allowed to accept the driver's licence (but some might anyway), and most banks won't either.

Edited by onthemoon

Handy if you dont drive.
  • Like 1