How Long Do I Have To Wait Before I Come Back To Thailand?

Hey guys,

I am planning to get three tourist visas (60 days each) and get an extension for 30 days each visa for a total of 270 days when I go to Thailand next year. I tried looking for student visa/1-year but no luck.

How long will I have to to wait after I use up all my visas before I can apply for another batch of tourists visas to return to Thailand?

I am from America.

Thanks!

Yes, you might find yourself having to go back to the States for new TR visas each time after the first 2 or 3. Laos (Vientiane) has traditionally been the most liberal of the Thai Consulates in surrounding countries. But even they go through phases of refusing new Visas for people who are obviously looking for a long stay in Thailand via multiple local visa runs.

Not sure what the current climate is. But I was once given a Tourist visa in Malaysia with a red stamp on it saying something like "No more Tourist Visas from this Consulate" (or words to that effect), since I already had 2 consecutive ones in that Passport.

Only apply for your triple entry tourist as close to your departure date as is practical if you want to maximise its use.

The tourist visa will be only be valid for a period of three or six months (hopefully 6 for a triple entry from US) and you must make all of your entries into Thailand during this period. The validity starts from the date of issue not the date of first entry to Thailand.

• Like 1

You can apply for a triple entry tourist visa and if issued and used properly you can get almost 270 days.. Right now the honorary consulate in Portland is very friendly and you can apply by express mail. You should have the visa issued as close to your departure date as possible to get the maximum number of days. A triple entry tourist visa issued by Portland is valid fo six months from the date of issue and all 3 entries into Thailand must be done before the "must enter by" date on the visa. That is why it is important to get the visa at the last moment.

If you apply for a tourist visa in a neghboring country, at the moment, the most that you will get is a double entry with a 3 month validity, but who knows what will be available in 9 monthes

The details for Portland are attached: Visa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

Edited by wayned

Just an addition to what has already been mentioned. There is no country around Thailand that will issue 3 visas at once. You can only get that many before you leave the USA. The best you'll get that is close to here is 2 from Laos.

There is technically a requirement as a tourist that out of a years timeframe you're supposed to be out of the country for three consecutive months, but I've never heard of it being enforced. There are embassies that threaten it at their discretion, and with a red stamp, but as far as enforcing it later, there are usually ways around it.

You can apply for a triple entry tourist visa and if issued and used properly you can get almost 270 days.. Right now the honorary consulate in Portland is very friendly and you can apply by express mail. You should have the visa issued as close to your departure date as possible to get the maximum number of days. A triple entry tourist visa issued by Portland is valid fo six months from the date of issue and all 3 entries into Thailand must be done before the "must enter by" date on the visa. That is why it is important to get the visa at the last moment.

If you apply for a tourist visa in a neghboring country, at the moment, the most that you will get is a double entry with a 3 month validity, but who knows what will be available in 9 monthes

The details for Portland are attached: Visa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

Portland is very friendly about the visas you will probably asked for proof of finances. I sent copies of credit union statement showing money in savings account for a non-o a few years ago. Once you get to Thailand you will be able to find a school for ed-visa.

Depending on the time of day she recieves your visa application she will post back immediately to you. I sent mine on one day and it was back within 1 day.

Just an addition to what has already been mentioned. There is no country around Thailand that will issue 3 visas at once. You can only get that many before you leave the USA. The best you'll get that is close to here is 2 from Laos.

There is technically a requirement as a tourist that out of a years timeframe you're supposed to be out of the country for three consecutive months, but I've never heard of it being enforced. There are embassies that threaten it at their discretion, and with a red stamp, but as far as enforcing it later, there are usually ways around it.

Actually there are Consulates in the area and outside the US that will issue 3 entry tourist visas if they believe appropriate, but long term stay would not likely be such a reason.

There is no stay out of Thailand rule and never was for visa entry. That was for visa exempt entry and was rescinded several years ago (when they changed land entry to 15 days). True enough, some Consulates and IATA seem to have missed that memo.

Thanks for the responses.

Dang I thought the visas were valid the moment I entered Thailand. I may end up like 2 weeks short of 270 days. :(

So let's say I use up my three tourist entry visas. One of you guys said I have to stay out of the country at least 3 consecutive months? What If I were to go live in Laos or Cambodia for 3 months. WIll I be able to get 2 new entry visas to Thailand? LOL

Once again - there is no rule to prevent your immediate return to Thailand and there never has been. There was only a rule for visa exempt entry and it has been rescinded as stated above.

Visas are valid for use from date of issue by Consulate. Permitted to stay (60 days for most on tourist visa entry) will start on day of entry. All entries must be made before expiration date on original visa.