Fix Problems, Pm Tells Officials

Lite Beer

Fix problems, PM tells officials

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has begun to show stronger leadership, "shining" at a meeting held yesterday in which she opened her heart to permanent officials discussing structural problems faced by the country and seeking their support to improve the situation, sources said.

Yingluck chaired a meeting of high-ranking ministry officials and permanent secretaries to create a joint vision to identify strategies to execute government policies.

The PM said the main management problem was the lack of an integrated approach to development. Last year's flood showed structural problems in the bureaucratic system that could not handle a crisis situation. The budget system also failed to cater for the emergency situation. State agencies still work with a vertical, complicated centralised system.

"We need to work in a decentralised horizontal system and work as a team in order to drive an integrated management approach," she said.

To reduce the complexity of the system, ministries are being asked to improve management, manpower and money, or 3M. The PM asked officials in all ministries to identify internal and external problems and prioritise them before solving and doing evaluations on problem solving.

"There need not be finger pointing during the evaluation process. We should all accept mistakes and keep improving,'' Yingluck said.

"I am serious with my work. Many ministries may be criticised but I only offer constructive criticism in order that they modify working styles to improve efficiency. If anyone has a problem, please come to me and we can have a frank talk. I am ready to work shoulder-to-shoulder with all high ranking officials and will not abandon them because we share the same goal in working for our country and the people,'' she said.

Government spokesman Sansani Nakpong said the PM had given three major policies to the ministries to improve their efficiency and create income distribution for the rural areas and focus on conserving energy and the environment.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-14

She should be careful using phrases like "execute government policies" lest someone decide it is a good idea.

Will changing from a vertical to a horizontal administration make it more comfortable when you are being shafted?

"We need to work in a decentralised horizontal system and work as a team in order to drive an integrated management approach," she said.

Decentralised --> central commission to take care of this

horizontal --> I'm the boss (up here), but responsability is spread out

team --> constant bickering and finger pointing

integrated --> bureaucratic (?)

management --> you report to us, we tell the public; we order, you do

• Like 2

The PM asked officials in all ministries to identify internal and external problems and prioritise them before solving and doing evaluations on problem solving.

That would mean making decisions, being practical and knowing what they are doing, it just ain't gonna happencoffee1.gif

• Like 2

"We're all in the Sh*t, so time for a management-reorganisation !" ohmy.png

PM-Yingluck's wide-experience at senior-levels of big-business management is clearly demonstrated here, with this classic ploy.

Meanwhile she's too too busy, to call upon her brother, to come home and face his time in court ? One must get one's priorities right, and blaming the hapless minions for whatever's currently screwed-up, takes higher priority ! cool.png

• Like 1

"We need to work in a decentralised horizontal system and work as a team in order to drive an integrated management approach,"

Can whoever penned that line please explain what it is supposed to mean. Sounds like a random quote from the 'Management for Dummies' handbook.

• Like 2

"We need to work in a decentralised horizontal system and work as a team in order to drive an integrated management approach,"

That statement certainly went in one ear

and out the other unhindered...

What the hell does it mean? It's like a line from a sitcom where the incompetent boss confuses everyone by spouting meaningless phrases……ah, yes, now I see.

That statement certainly went in one ear and out the other unhindered...

I wonder how it scans in Thai?

Hopefully better than it does in English.

The PM certainly gave the permanent secretaries something to think about, now they will go away and have a think tank to try to understand what she meant, that should take six months, once they have decided on a definition of what was discussed they can then hold another think tank to come up with an action plan, but not before going on fact finding trips to all the best holiday destinations, so in say a year and a half they should be able to act on the PM's initiative.

Sent from my GT-I9003

• Like 2

ORDER OF THE DAY TO OFFICIALS: "FIX PROBLEMS" while I go get my Nails done and Hair done...giggle.gif

C'mon even the nation has given up on that tired old approach, and if you are behind the nation in trends, well......

I notice there was no talk of stopping graft and corruption. I guess she was talking about using what money they had left over after they got there percentage off the top.

• Like 1

That statement certainly went in one ear

and out the other unhindered...

What the hell does it mean? It's like a line from a sitcom where the incompetent boss confuses everyone by spouting meaningless phrases……ah, yes, now I see.

And people wonder why her position in big business was done away with when she entered politics.coffee1.gif

Edited by hellodolly

The PM certainly gave the permanent secretaries something to think about, now they will go away and have a think tank to try to understand what she meant, that should take six months, once they have decided on a definition of what was discussed they can then hold another think tank to come up with an action plan, but not before going on fact finding trips to all the best holiday destinations, so in say a year and a half they should be able to act on the PM's initiative.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Do you not feel you are giving them more credit than they deserve. My money says they will be out of office before they figure it out. Now if she had started off with this is how you can personally increase your income they would have figured it out real fast at least that part of it.

Big words being quoted when not one of the Govt would have any idea what it means. Unless Yingluck has taken a crash course in management and understand the meaning of horizontal, vertical, micro and macro, she is just mouthing others words being put into her mouth and we know where that came from.

• Like 1