Pb&j: Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwiches ... The Definitive Poll

Jingthing

American classic food: PB&J  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches are a classic American food. I think probably most Americans associate as a food of childhood but it is eaten by many throughout life.

So do you usually stock the makings of PB&J in your home?

Personally I grew up with old classic style American PB&J: Skippy peanut butter, grape jelly, on un-toasted Wonder white bread. With cows milk.

Last night I had PB&J ... for dinner.

My adult version: all natural 100 percent crunchy peanut butter with no additives, French blackberry jam with no sugar added, on richly textured toasted dark whole grain bread. With soy milk.

No I wouldn't ever wish to eat the old style version again. But really my more upscale version still evokes the memories of my twisted American childhood

This would be the place to talk about PB&J if you so choose.

In this video this silly British man adds regular BUTTER to a PB&J!

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the peanut butter, JIF cruncy, and the bread next to the refrigerator and the jelly, curently Smuker's concord grape, in the refrigerator. A good and fast meal when I'm too lazy to cook.

• Like 2

I can relate to that totally. PB&J isn't something I would look forward to or make plans to eat. It's more like I had a really big lunch but I'm a little hungry and too lazy too cook and clean now so it fills a need. In my case, I generally only eat it as a dinner meal now under those random circumstances perhaps three or four times a month. I reckon that isn't very typical to eat for dinner but maybe I'm wrong. Traditionally of course ... it is LUNCH.

OK, on second thought, I occasionally eat it for breakfast as well.

Of course PB&J also has associations to American poverty as some people pretty much live on such things instant ramen noodles, Mac&cheese boxes, pasta of some kind, canned tuna, perhaps sardines, and of course PB&J, etc.

Here in Thailand the ingredients I use for my adult version are definitely not particularly cheap though!

Edited by Jingthing

I make my own peanut butter sometimes, it's easy in a food processor. If you make your own, try maling chashew nut butter. Add just a little bit of maple syeup or honey as it's processing to make it smoother, it's great!

I don't think I've ever tried that sandwich must be very sweet? I've done peanut butter on toast in the US and loved it.

JT your adult version of peanut butter you buy is that the one I see in health food stores with the oil on top ? do you toss the oil ?

The classic version is of course quite sweet as there is sugar (and/or processed fake sugar from corn) in the peanut butter, jelly, and bread. My adult version only has natural sugar from the fruit in the jam so not overly sweet. Yes I buy peanut butter here with the oil on top and you have to mix it when you open it up which is really not fun. I also agree toast with peanut butter and nothing else works quite well.

I forget to mention before the age old question: smooth vs. crunchy. I have always preferred CRUNCHY. Smooth seems wimpy to me.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think I've ever tried that sandwich must be very sweet? I've done peanut butter on toast in the US and loved it.

JT your adult version of peanut butter you buy is that the one I see in health food stores with the oil on top ? do you toss the oil ?

The classic version is of course quite sweet as there is sugar (and/or processed fake sugar from corn) in the peanut butter, jelly, and bread. My adult version only has natural sugar from the fruit in the jam so not overly sweet. Yes I buy peanut butter here with the oil on top and you have to mix it when you open it up which is really not fun. I also agree toast with peanut butter and nothing else works quite well.

I forget to mention before the age old question: smooth vs. crunchy. I have always preferred CRUNCHY. Smooth seems wimpy to me.

Ahhh mix it in, to be honest I was thinking I could use it for a stir fry as peanut oil is supposed to be high temp oil.

So crunchy it is then, and I read don't use marmelade LOL, I can cook a full course French meal but haven't made a basic peanut butter & jelly sarny.

I don't see any problem at all with using marmalade such as orange or apricot.

Truth in posting. The adult version I make isn't even a sandwich. I just use the amount of bread I want and add the two spreads to each slice, and eat them open style.

I always have a jar of Jif Crunchy or Extra Crunchy and a jar of Welches Grape Jelly (prefer Grape Jam but hard to find). No white bread, either whole wheat or whole grain sometimes toasted sometimes not. I also use a thin spread of pure butter on it. So, what is wrong with using butter or are you a PB&J snob? biggrin.png

As a kid it was always grape jelly (and Marshmallow Fluff - other brands never came close - as added topping on occasion) but have found that orange marmalade does taste good - had always used that for toast on butter but never inside sandwich.

Before watching that silly video, I had never in my life heard of anyone putting butter in a peanut butter sandwich. It's not a mater of being a snob. It sounds disgusting to me. Peanut butter is already a kind of fatty butter. It's sounds like a bad mix to me. Is this a regional thing I have never heard of? Is this something British people do? Really, never heard of it and don't care if people do, but I wouldn't even want to taste it.

Edited by Jingthing

Before watching that silly video, I had never in my life heard of anyone putting butter in a peanut butter sandwich. It's not a mater of being a snob. It sounds disgusting to me. Peanut butter is already a kind of fatty butter. It's sounds like a bad mix to me. Is this a regional thing I have never heard of? Is this something British people do? Really, never heard of it and don't care if people do, but I wouldn't even want to taste it.

This is getting complicated smile.png I think the butter spread thing may be over the top, however I still do it when I make a mayo meat sandwich.

So cutting the crusts off would be a definite no no biggrin.png

pbj with butter? never tried that. kind of like the hot dog with mayonaise, ive never done that either but had a polish neighbor in the states who ate mayonaise hot dogs twice a day.

Peanut butter and banana sandwich I can attest to! banana and pb are delicious together. When my family ran out of jelly, we would make pb and honey sandwiches, which also works well!

Appears the added butter is a secret recipe and why some are not familiar with it. wink.png

2 slices whole wheat bread (preferably soft)

1 teaspoon butter, the secret ingredient (I use Smart Balance)

1 tablespoon peanut butter (I use organic smooth)

2 teaspoons strawberry jam (I use Trader Joe's low sugar)

Directions:

1 Spread a half teaspoon of butter on each slice of bread.

2 Spread one slice with peanut butter.

3 Swirl jam into peanut butter.

4 Cover with other slice of bread.

5 Devour with a glass of milk!

Read more at: http://www.food.com/...559?oc=linkback

Lot's of recipes here - Yummly The Grilled PB&J looks good - uses butter also. biggrin.png

Enjoy it but I really think adding butter is not common.

I've been doing it that way for so many years that is probably why it seems normal to me. Now if we were talking margarine than I would fully agree that is just wrong. biggrin.png

Enjoy it but I really think adding butter is not common.

I've been doing it that way for so many years that is probably why it seems normal to me. Now if we were talking margarine than I would fully agree that is just wrong. biggrin.png

only wrong if it doesn't have Fabio's stamp of approval!

American, and yeah I always have peanut butter available. Not something I eat often or look forward to, more of an emergency food. Plain or with jam, honey, or banana. Preferably with chocolate milk.

I've never in my life heard of putting butter on a peanut butter sandwich. Definitely would never do that

As a Brit I really don't like PB&J (way too sweet) but I DO have the bits to make one, what should I vote?

That's really between you and George Washington Carver ... coffee1.gif

BTW, you might want to try my adult version. It's not very sweet!

BTW, historians think Carver was (though obviously closeted in that era especially in the south) ... gay.

Edited by Jingthing

American, and yeah I always have peanut butter available. Not something I eat often or look forward to, more of an emergency food. Plain or with jam, honey, or banana. Preferably with chocolate milk.

I've never in my life heard of putting butter on a peanut butter sandwich. Definitely would never do that

I was sure I had to be the only grown man who preferred his peanut butter sandwiches with chocolate milk!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I was sure I had to be the only grown man who preferred his peanut butter sandwiches with chocolate milk!

Or you could have a Reese's peanut butter cup!

I have a question now because I see a Canadian aboot. Is PB&J as pervasive in Canada as it is in the USA at least as a childhood staple?

Edited by Jingthing

Or you could have a Reese's peanut butter cup!

I have a question now because I see a Canadian aboot. Is PB&J as pervasive in Canada as it is in the USA at least as a childhood staple?

Reese's are awesome.

I have a pack in my refrigerator just because when I saw it I the store -- I don't recall coming across them here before -- I grabbed it out of some sort of reflex buried for 40 years...I may not ever eat it but it makes feel good knowing it's there...