Choosing A Tablet

canuckamuck

I am also looking for a Tablet for using out at the patio in my house.

I have recently been to a shop and played around with Samsungs 10" tablet, very nice I must say, I saw a short HD movie on it and it's was awsome, but 21900 bath, hmm.

On this site you can buy a cheap Chinese clone: http://www.chinavasi...z_16GB_8000mAh/

But I don't know anything about them but a less than 6000K bath so it's less than 1/3 of the Samsung (Okay import duty and shipping not included), don't know it you can buy them in Thailand, properly.

I have decided to buy a 10", I will use it as back-up for my net-book and I find the 7" tablets too small for movies, but that's me.

I am still thinking about it and might wait until next year when my company bonus hopefully comes.

If you have a netbook why don't you get another one, they're half the price of the tablet you're looking at.

Bought an Ainol/Onda/HeroTab at Panthip last June, ICS.

Not rooted.

Wow...one third Ainol...one third Onda....one third HeroTab...that really shows how tablets are inter-breeding.tongue.png

So that's what is wrong with the thing -- a digital form of Tay-Sachs!

If you have a netbook why don't you get another one, they're half the price of the tablet you're looking at.

Well it's most for use around the house but again just a toy really.

I just spend over 18K bath on a new desktop monitor so no money right now for a tablet.

You can get a perfectly good Onda V971 or V972 Android tablet (see the earlier links in this thread) for the same or less price than you're likely to spend on any PC netbook, as in, under 10,000 baht.

And if budget is the primary issue, you can find some lesser specced Chinese tablets at places like Tesco or Big C for 3000 to 6000 baht.

I bought an Imobile Inote 9 inch for my son. We are very happy with it. The internet connection seems a bit weak at times but all in all worth the money for his use. One thing I would say is that games where you have to tilt the screen (driving games, temple run etc) don't work well on this tablet. Be aware of this if you buy one. I have no idea if there is something you can do to enable a function, but games become unplayable.

Yea, some websites say 8000mah and some say 6300mah.

And then you have web sites in their Q&A section like www.onda-tablet.com that says 8000mah is correct...see below.

post-55970-0-12971400-1360851715_thumb.j

And when you look at the official Onda.cn website under the V972 specs/firmware area they don't even list the battery specs...list all kinds of other specs but I didn't see any battery specs.

Me thinks after some more googling the V972 does indeed come with a 8000mah battery versus 6300mah like shown at some sites. In the following links a person opened up a V972 to find two 4000ma SGR291 batteries installed (two combined in parallel gives the 8000mah) and another person googled the battery specs. Link1 Link2

And then you have web sites in their Q&A section like www.onda-tablet.com that says 8000mah is correct...see below.

And when you look at the official Onda.cn website under the V972 specs/firmware area they don't even list the battery specs...list all kinds of other specs but I didn't see any battery specs.

Me thinks after some more googling the V972 does indeed come with a 8000mah battery versus 6300mah like shown at some sites. In the following links a person opened up a V972 to find two 4000ma SGR291 batteries installed (two combined in parallel gives the 8000mah) and another person googled the battery specs. Link1 Link2

I must have overlooked your post with the Onda-tablet link, but if they answer in their q & a that it is indeed 8000 mAh one might assume that this is correct.

It is only waiting for Veltins to post the battery life of his Onda v972.

I have a Ainol Novo 10 Hero, which has also a 8000 mAh battery in the same setup ( 2 x 4000 ) , and it easily last 6-7 hours game playing.

If the Onda v972 has a similar battery life I'll be in the market for one.

5-0 gotta be pleased. No real challenge from swansea, but we did look very impressive in parts. Enriques goal was outstanding. We definitlely need 2 strikers as marking Suarez, though not easy, is too easy. This game has shown me that there is life in the old dogs yet. gerrard had agreat game,carragah looked comfortable. Once we were winning the game it was over. laudrup was never going to chase the game with players he was trying to protect. Expect comments abou a team understrength and they were but our players also played well. Again I thin curbishtwat has no idea. he was a crap manager and is now a crap commentator

Did you get lost? biggrin.png

Sorry NellyP, had to remove most of your posts but kept one for the entertainment value. They were more than a little off topic. Just a reminder, this is the Computer sub forum. The football forum is in another direction. biggrin.png

Opps. Three threads going at the same time, obviously not a good idea, especially when so into a game of football. You are lucky you had no posts about the gearing and carb of a Honda Sonic (also going at the same time). Any chance of getting my posts stuck back into the Liverpool forum? I quite liked them when I was writing them, and I'm too lazy to gather the same emotions again. It was probably nice to get an emotion into a computer thread though ehbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Any chance of getting my posts stuck back into the Liverpool forum? I quite liked them when I was writing them,

They have now been PMed to you. I was wondering for a moment if it was a new Android game I missed. biggrin.png

Cheers. You are THE man

I would guess that ONDA and other similar companies; virtually unknown less than a year ago now have a tiger by the tail and are stretched beyond their limits both in management and production. These places are not Foxcom. From the videos I've seen on You Tube of tablet production lines, many are not much more than shophouse affairs. These manufacturers have probably had to deal with a ten fold increase in demand over the past 6 months alone.

Production of assemblies and final assembly are probably sub-contracted all over the place. Parts supply to these sub-contractors is probably quite fragmented as well so it's easy to imagine that one sub-contractor might get one type of battery directly from a supplier while another sub-contractor producing the same model might get a different battery from a different supplier. Those who do the final packaging and labeling probably don't have a clue as to which is what.

As a consumer there is probably little you can do other than view the settings and try out as many processes as you can before laying the money down.

• Like 1

Hmm, as I use the tablet mainly as a XBMC mediacenter with connected power supply, it's hard to say something about the battery life.

But I could test it via MX-Player, playing a TV live-stream with Wifi "on".

That should give a "first clue".

I don't play any games, so no chance to test it.

But feel free to ask me, if you have any questions about the device...wink.png

Hmm, as I use the tablet mainly as a XBMC mediacenter with connected power supply, it's hard to say something about the battery life.

But I could test it via MX-Player, playing a TV live-stream with Wifi "on".

That should give a "first clue".

I don't play any games, so no chance to test it.

But feel free to ask me, if you have any questions about the device...wink.png

I would say if you could just open a movie from sd card, doesn't neccesary have to be a live stream, keep wifi on and screen set to never sleep until you get the warning low battery.Then please report how many hours it took from fully loaded battery till you received the warning sound.

Another however less accurate is starting the same procedure with fully loaded battery and after let's say 1 - 2 hour check the bettery level.

Edited by jbrain

Another however less accurate is starting the same procedure with fully loaded battery and after let's say 1 - 2 hour check the bettery level.

Definitely agree not as accurate but still a good ballpark estimator. I know on my V971 that discharging from 100 to 30% is fairly linear through that range and don't seem like it discharging fast, but when going below 30% it will hit 0% a lot sooner...that final 30% definitely goes faster than another 30% chunk like from 100 to 70%, 80 to 50%, etc.

Regarding V972 firmware versions 1.2 and 1.32 not coming rooted (but version 1.02 does come rooted) I've seen several recent posts on other blogs in how to easily root the V972. Pretty much download a particular xyxroot.zip file talked about in the posts, use the Update app that comes installed on the V972, select/install the zip, and you are done. Real easy. Pretty much works like a OTA update except your are selecting a local file to do the root/update. For those who might also want to load CWM Recovery there is another file/instructions how to do that....it also looks pretty easy. See these two links for more info....the second link has a YouTube video pretty much shows the install of the zip file that roots the V972. Link 1. Link 2.

I bought an Imobile Inote 9 inch for my son. We are very happy with it. The internet connection seems a bit weak at times but all in all worth the money for his use. One thing I would say is that games where you have to tilt the screen (driving games, temple run etc) don't work well on this tablet. Be aware of this if you buy one. I have no idea if there is something you can do to enable a function, but games become unplayable.

I had a quick look at an I-mobile Note 9 and irrc the screen resolution as declared on the box was 800*480, something they forgot to mention in the print ads and brochures I've seen for it. A far cry from the 2048x1536 reported with the V972.

I would say if you could just open a movie from sd card, doesn't neccesary have to be a live stream, keep wifi on and screen set to never sleep until you get the warning low battery

Onda V972.

I played a 2h5min .mkv 3 times. (Mx player)

Wifi on. Brightness was on medium setting.

After ~6h15min, there was 16% battery life left.

I think, 7 hours of movie playback should be realistic.

But who wants to watch 7h movies on such a small display....tongue.png

Edited by vel_tins
  • Like 1

I would say if you could just open a movie from sd card, doesn't neccesary have to be a live stream, keep wifi on and screen set to never sleep until you get the warning low battery

Onda V972.

I played a 2h5min .mkv 3 times. (Mx player)

Wifi on. Brightness was on medium setting.

After ~6h15min, there was 16% battery life left.

I think, 7 hours of movie playback should be realistic.

But who wants to watch 7h movies on such a small display....tongue.png

Thanks for the info. I think that can be considered a reasonable battery life.

By the way I see people watching movies on their 4" smart phones. The fun of that is also beyond my understanding.

Edited by jbrain

Well that's good enough for me, V972 seems the best choice. But I need to get a new desktop now; so my current tablet, which I have no cause to complain about (Nova 7 Flame) will have to survive the demands of my household by itself for then next few months.

I was at Fortune yesterday and was impressed with some of the "All-in-One" desktop units on display; nice big screen for viewing media and no tower to mess around with. Some of the Acers started at about B12,000.