Choosing A Tablet

canuckamuck

The ThaiVisa App is still working on the tablet this morning even though my heartbeat jumped a little when first trying this morning as I saw that screen for about a second where it would hang before. But it continued on and contacted/logged on ThaiVisa OK.

Then I tried some more App stress testing so to speak...that is, try to get the App & Tablet combination not work/log-on to ThaiVisa. I turned off my tablet's Wifi for a few seconds...started up the ThaiVisa App to see what it did and sure enough it did not make a connection (just like it suppose to operate) but it didn't show that one screen where it would hang (which I thought was a good sign)...the screen you won't see unless something is bad-wrong I guess. I turn the tablet's Wifi back on, wait for a solid Wifi connection, and try to make a connection...it reaches ThaiVisa but the page is missing posts...just the basic Unread, All, Participated screen with "no" posts under the these headers. OK, I log off of my ThaiVisa account, log back in and then everything would display OK.

I sure don't have this ThaiVisa issue with my Samsung devices but they are running Gingerbread 2.3.6 and JB 4.1.1, if it's android operating system related. However, I guess I've figured out how I may need to hand massage the ThaiVisa App's use sometimes to make a connection. Plus, I usually like to reach ThaiVisa through the browser since the tablet has a 10 inch display...but for use on my smartphone the App is the only way to go.

Summary: all is good for now (knock on wood).

How do I get my son's tablet to save games, apps etc to the external card. Movies and pics go there, but if I try to move on the tab it just goes to different internal memory. He has an I-note running Android 4 (JB?) Can I root a tablet? as I believe that's what's required on my Samsung Ace 2 to get things straight onto the external card?

Many Apps will only install/work on the device's internal RAM/ROM memory sometimes referred to as "Phone Only Memory." They can't be moved to the internal or external SD. But many Apps can be moved as you know.

You might want to give the "AppMgrIII" (formerly named App2SD) a try as it's very clear as to which Apps can be moved and to where...and move them for you. Here's the Google Play link to the app. Also, keep in mind that even when an App can be moved to external storage, part of the app still usually stays on the Phone Only Memory, but hopefully the majority of it will move in order to free up some of that limited and precious phone only memory.

• Like 1

Many Apps will only install/work on the device's internal RAM/ROM memory sometimes referred to as "Phone Only Memory." They can't be moved to the internal or external SD. But many Apps can be moved as you know.

You might want to give the "AppMgrIII" (formerly named App2SD) a try as it's very clear as to which Apps can be moved and to where...and move them for you. Here's the Google Play link to the app. Also, keep in mind that even when an App can be moved to external storage, part of the app still usually stays on the Phone Only Memory, but hopefully the majority of it will move in order to free up some of that limited and precious phone only memory

Thanks for this I'll give it a bash

Only 10 unit. Wanna bet that those 10 has just been sold :)

I just bough one I Pantib BKK today for 7990, so far very impressed with it.

What a screen, no time for apps yet but that will come very soon.

Only 10 unit. Wanna bet that those 10 has just been sold smile.png

I just bough one I Pantib BKK today for 7990, so far very impressed with it.

What a screen, no time for apps yet but that will come very soon.

All the apps I have downloaded work fine. I am really pleased with this machine apart from one problem.

I cannot get the sound to work when watching movies. Listening to MP3 is fine.

It seems that sometimes the sound is scrambled (fast and sounds like Donald Duck). Other times I can get the background music in the films but not the actual dialogue.

I have tried with five different video players now. I realise it must be something to do with codecs but I really don't know what to do now.

I managed to get one film working ok. I have no idea why as this is saved in the same .avi format as the others. Should I use a conversion program and convert to Android format? I thought about it but the software I downloaded has so many choices of output format for Android.

As I said, apart from this one problem, I think it's an excellent machine.

Edited by petedk

Maybe you really left it on overnight while charging (it should only be charged with power off via the wall charger) and it hung-up while in sleep mode. Or maybe it just hung-up for whatever reason. Just to be sure, hold the power button down for approx. 15 seconds. That will force a shutdown and you might hear a low level click sound when it turns off. This forced shutdown will not hurt anything. Then by chance if the battery was completely discharged after getting it turned off, then plug it in to charge for 30 minutes or so and then see if it turns on. Yea, when a device is hung-up it can sometimes seem completely dead.

For the several months I've owned my V971 there was around two times it locked-up while in sleep mode (i.e., I just left it on, laid it to the side for a couple of hours, and when trying to bring it out of sleep mode it would not...it was hung-up)...the forced shutdown got it turned off and then I turned it back on again. So far, I haven't experienced such a problem with the custom ROM JB 4.1.2 but I've only been running the custom ROM since 3 March and it's still operating fine (knock on wood).

Good luck.

Edited by Pib

Maybe you really left it on overnight while charging (it should only be charged with power off via the wall charger) and it hung-up while in sleep mode. Or maybe it just hung-up for whatever reason. Just to be sure, hold the power button down for approx. 15 seconds. That will force a shutdown and you might hear a low level click sound when it turns off. This forced shutdown will not hurt anything. Then by chance if the battery was completely discharged after getting it turned off, then plug it in to charge for 30 minutes or so and then see if it turns on. Yea, when a device is hung-up it can sometimes seem completely dead.

For the several months I've owned my V971 there was around two times it locked-up while in sleep mode (i.e., I just left it on, laid it to the side for a couple of hours, and when trying to bring it out of sleep mode it would not...it was hung-up)...the forced shutdown got it turned off and then I turned it back on again. So far, I haven't experienced such a problem with the custom ROM JB 4.1.2 but I've only been running the custom ROM since 3 March and it's still operating fine (knock on wood).

Good luck.

I definitely turned it off before charging and i noticed this morning that it was fully charged when I pulled the charger out.

I have tried holding the power button for 15 seconds or more and absolutely nothing. It's dead as a door nail.

Edit: A friend just told me to plug the charger in and try and turn it on. I did that and it turned on without problems.

I'll turn it off later and see if i can turn on again. Strange but I am happy again.

All I need now is to get the dam films to play.

Edited by petedk

Good luck.

I definitely turned it off before charging and i noticed this morning that it was fully charged when I pulled the charger out.

I have tried holding the power button for 15 seconds or more and absolutely nothing. It's dead as a door nail.

Edit: A friend just told me to plug the charger in and try and turn it on. I did that and it turned on without problems.

I'll turn it off later and see if i can turn on again. Strange but I am happy again.

All I need now is to get the dam films to play.

I had a similar experience when I owned a Onda 712 for a short period.

The way I got it back to life was with relaoding the operating system. Load it on a sd card then start up in recovery mode

You sure the movies had good audio before playing them from the tablet. Have you played the movies on another device. With all the "copies" of movies, songs, etc., in Thailand sometimes the original (or should I say the copy made to look original) is bad.

Also, if you are playing the movies from an "external SD card" maybe the card and tablet are not agreeing....I have personally experienced that problem before when buying a really cheap 32GB miscoSD card off Ebay. This particular card occasionally corrupted picture files when I was using it in my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 smartphone and also when in my Onda V971 I could not fast forward on "some movies" without the movie hanging-up for video and sound; but with a quality external microSD card I never had above problems on my smartphone or tablet. That cheap microSD card now lives a lonely life in its carrying case...I don't know why I don't throw it away...pity I guess.

Do you guys use a screen protector on your devises or just leave them as is? I guess a slightly moist cloth is the best way to clean the screen?

I am back in Pattaya now, will go look for a micro SD card for my Onda now.

You sure the movies had good audio before playing them from the tablet. Have you played the movies on another device. With all the "copies" of movies, songs, etc., in Thailand sometimes the original (or should I say the copy made to look original) is bad.

Also, if you are playing the movies from an "external SD card" maybe the card and tablet are not agreeing....I have personally experienced that problem before when buying a really cheap 32GB miscoSD card off Ebay. This particular card occasionally corrupted picture files when I was using it in my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 smartphone and also when in my Onda V971 I could not fast forward on "some movies" without the movie hanging-up for video and sound; but with a quality external microSD card I never had above problems on my smartphone or tablet. That cheap microSD card now lives a lonely life in its carrying case...I don't know why I don't throw it away...pity I guess.

Yes I have played the movies on my laptop and my S2 without problems.

I remember I had a similar problem with my PC a couple of years back and I changed the bit rate in my sound card set up. That helped but i have no idea if I can do anything similar with the Onda.

I don't use an SD card.

Do you guys use a screen protector on your devises or just leave them as is? I guess a slightly moist cloth is the best way to clean the screen?

I was advised not to remove the protective plastic that is shipped with the Onda for seven days. I think something to do with guarantee. I have bought a protective case for it so I won't be using a screen protector.

I was advised not to remove the protective plastic that is shipped with the Onda for seven days. I think something to do with guarantee. I have bought a protective case for it so I won't be using a screen protector.

Yeah sure, because they offer a 7 day swap warranty if something is wrong with the unit. If it still has the factory screen protector, they sell the problem unit to the next sucker in exactly the same condition as you return it.

Yeah sure, because they offer a 7 day swap warranty if something is wrong with the unit. If it still has the factory screen protector, they sell the problem unit to the next sucker in exactly the same condition as you return it.

I was also told to keep the plastic cover on for 7 days but when I tried it in the shop before departing my hard earned money I found it not easy/hard to see so I tore it off when I got back to the hotel.

He had a old model I tried first without the plastic cover.

I am now downloading different aps on mine. Wikipedia are not compatible with your model I just been told? same with AVG antivirus so I downloaded Avast instead, no problem.

I got my 32GB mini SD card SanDisk, will try a HD movie shortly.

Hmm can't connect the Onda to my pc, I can charge from pc when the tablet is off. That's somewhat disappointing, have to take out the mini sd card and then transfer direct pc/ cardreader so movies/photos and whatever a very slow process. A 1.2GB file = 27min, not good.

Anybody having any good ideas?

Assuming you have USB2.0 ports, their max output is 500mah....or said another way if your V972 8000mah battery was completely discharged, it could take approx16 hours to fully charge from a USB port. And when the tablet is turned on/operating it is using approx 700-1000mah....so, with a 1000mah usage and only 500mah charge coming in you are not charging the tablet as you still have up to a net 500mah drain.

Onda recommends you charge the tablet when it is turned off and preferably with the 2000mah wall charger it comes with....that way it charges much faster....using your computer's USB port will require a much longer charge period.

Hmm can't connect the Onda to my pc, I can charge from pc when the tablet is off. That's somewhat disappointing, have to take out the mini sd card and then transfer direct pc/ cardreader so movies/photos and whatever a very slow process. A 1.2GB file = 27min, not good.

Yes I thought I had the same experience . I couldn't download the driver software but then I noticed a little icon at the bottom right hand corner of the tablet screen. It is a little rectangle with three lines coming out.

If you press this it will open a page where it says something like "use this as a USB storage device" .. sorry forget the exact wording. There is a little slider for on and off. Slide to "on" and you will be able to transfer files.

I spent hours searching the net for drivers before i discovered this.

Assuming you have USB2.0 ports, their max output is 500mah....or said another way if your V972 8000mah battery was completely discharged, it could take approx16 hours to fully charge from a USB port. And when the tablet is turned on/operating it is using approx 700-1000mah....so, with a 1000mah usage and only 500mah charge coming in you are not charging the tablet as you still have up to a net 500mah drain.

Onda recommends you charge the tablet when it is turned off and preferably with the 2000mah wall charger it comes with....that way it charges much faster....using your computer's USB port will require a much longer charge period.

I used the supplied wall charger and charged all night. 20.00 to 08.00 so the battery was fully charged.

Anyway it seems to work ok now. I can power on and off without problems.

Yes I thought I had the same experience . I couldn't download the driver software but then I noticed a little icon at the bottom right hand corner of the tablet screen. It is a little rectangle with three lines coming out.

If you press this it will open a page where it says something like "use this as a USB storage device" .. sorry forget the exact wording. There is a little slider for on and off. Slide to "on" and you will be able to transfer files.

Excellent stuff, I just tried that now and it work as a charm, thanks again.

Yes I found out about the charging, much faster with wall charger.

Now you can download the latest V972 firmware update if it don't do a OTA update as I see Onda just released an updated JB version for the V972....it's identified as firmware version 1.35 which replaced 1.33 which replaced 1.32 which replaced 1.20 which replaced 1.02.

And if someone is thinking I'm making fun of Onda for so many releases I'm definitely not as I think it's good Onda does frequent firmware releases to improve the firmware, fix bugs that are affecting or could possibly affect the tablet, improve performance, etc. Before I originally bought my Onda V971 one of my buying decisions was whether the tablet manufacturer that a descent support web site and provided frequent firmware/software updates...and Onda does for their products. Heck, for some tablet names/manufacturers I couldn't even find a website or it was so bare bones it was useless.

Now you can download the latest V972 firmware update if it don't do a OTA update as I see Onda just released an updated JB version for the V972....it's identified as firmware version 1.35 which replaced 1.33 which replaced 1.32 which replaced 1.20 which replaced 1.02.

And if someone is thinking I'm making fun of Onda for so many releases I'm definitely not as I think it's good Onda does frequent firmware releases to improve the firmware, fix bugs that are affecting or could possibly affect the tablet, improve performance, etc. Before I originally bought my Onda V971 one of my buying decisions was whether the tablet manufacturer that a descent support web site and provided frequent firmware/software updates...and Onda does for their products. Heck, for some tablet names/manufacturers I couldn't even find a website or it was so bare bones it was useless.

But it would be better if they didn't have to fix bugs that frequently, as it translates as having a lot of bugs.

As another member already said, there are a lot of issues with the A31 setup, since they rushed it too much to release it.

On my onda v972 I got Android 4.1.1 Baseband version 1.2. When I check the onboard update it's says it up to date (Wi-Fi on).

I checked onda's update page and I didn't get any wiser? I wonder if anybody in Pattaya can help me?

The Wi-Fi is crap, on my Note1 I get coverage almost everywhere in the house but the onda can't even connect in my living room, as soon as the router is out of sight so is the signal.

Speaker is crap too, can hardly hear anything?

Can play a movie ok but I have to be so close to the screen in order to hear anything, so I will have to run the movie 2 times, first time only looking and then 2'nd time listen, ha-ha.

I think it will be a dust collector.

Well it was "only" 8000 bath so not too bad, lost much more on women and bikes, LOL.

Latest news. My Onda seems to be dead. I recharged last night and now it won't turn on. I'll have to make a trip to Fortune later today.

Just been to Fortune. I haven't had problems turning on and off.

I have fixed the problems with the sound on movies. I almost too embarassed to tell what happened but i have been using the earphones from my Galaxy S2. We changed to ordinary earphones and the sound was great.

laugh.png

But it would be better if they didn't have to fix bugs that frequently, as it translates as having a lot of bugs.

As another member already said, there are a lot of issues with the A31 setup, since they rushed it too much to release it.

Heck, with my almost 6 year Toshiba laptop there were approx. 8 BIOS/firmware updates over approx. 18 months. Each update was supposedly to provide enhancements/fix potential bugs/etc. I never had any problems with any version of the firmware I was running, but I always did the update anyway. And for my Samsung Ace 2 smartphone which I've had about 9 months it has had two OTA firmware updates.

Devices needing software/firmware to operate, like computers, tablets, smartphones, etc., are not perfect upon their release and updates are a good thing. Just like those OTA or KIES updates brand name manufacturers like Samsung release. Would much prefer to have a device from a manufacturer who provides firmware updates versus a manufacturer who don't. And a firmware update is not necessarily to fix a bug; it can just be to enhance performance, add a new feature, etc.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

When I check the onboard update it's says it up to date (Wi-Fi on). I checked onda's update page and I didn't get any wiser?

V972 Firmware 1.35 (ways better than 1.20)

Download: Official Site | Mega | Ya.Disk

Thanks for the links. I tried 2 of them and followed intrusions but sadly the Phoinix suite can't "see" my Onda (my pc can), have tried to uninstall and reinstall 2 times but no, the program don't see the onda.

This morning the charger for Mr Onda blew up, fxxx me, the fuse in the multi connecter power socket blew as well (15Amp I think), thankfully Mr Onda is still OK.

So out looking for a new charger (5V 2500mA) which can't be found in Pattaya, I went to about 20 shops in Tuk.com but no, Power Buy= no. I had to settle with an I-pad charger on 2100mA to 350 bath. Since I bought the tablet in BKK and live in Pattaya I couldn't be bothered with warranty, unless Mr Onda dies that is.

When I check the onboard update it's says it up to date (Wi-Fi on). I checked onda's update page and I didn't get any wiser?

V972 Firmware 1.35 (ways better than 1.20)

Download: Official Site | Mega | Ya.Disk

Thanks for the links. I tried 2 of them and followed intrusions but sadly the Phoinix suite can't "see" my Onda (my pc can), have tried to uninstall and reinstall 2 times but no, the program don't see the onda.

This morning the charger for Mr Onda blew up, fxxx me, the fuse in the multi connecter power socket blew as well (15Amp I think), thankfully Mr Onda is still OK.

So out looking for a new charger (5V 2500mA) which can't be found in Pattaya, I went to about 20 shops in Tuk.com but no, Power Buy= no. I had to settle with an I-pad charger on 2100mA to 350 bath. Since I bought the tablet in BKK and live in Pattaya I couldn't be bothered with warranty, unless Mr Onda dies that is.

Do you use a Windows x64 version?

I recall i read somwhere on a forum that the issue with the Phoenix suite has to do with that.