Choosing A Tablet

canuckamuck

My boy decided he would like a tablet for Xmas yesterday so I have been researching them. He would like "an ipad please dad, or a Samsung". As he is only 7 I am against his plan. He will probably use it just for games and taking photos and vids. I want to go cheap as he will eventually (2 years?) want something better. Reading the posts on here it looks like I will go for the I-mobile i-note 2 9 inch for 5,000 baht, it seems to have everything I want apart from a good screen resolution. The Onda looks very good but I am in Roiet and don't have a lot of options I will probably be able to look in Tesco, and Macro. I don't fancy the mall as it is more like a market than a mall. Any further advice on a tab with higher resolution but keeping the things I have decided the tab needs would be appreciated. I have 1 day to shop so I cannot have anything delivered, but I will trawl through all shops in the area. I suppose what I am looking for is a similar spec the the Imobile but higher res. One question I have is this, does the imobile have full access to play store? I believe it does, but am not 100% (this is obviously important), though it does say so on the box I saw today

Why don't you buy it online? Let your wife or some thai friend talk with the shop owner to ask stock status first.

For example I saw Ainol Hero Novo 10 tablet (10.1", IPS screen which does matter, Dualcore, 16Gb flash, 1Gb ram, 8000 mah = 8 hours battery life) as low as 6250 baht in Thailand.

Or you can buy for 188 usd from China, delivered to you about 10 days (won't make it to new year for sure).

Never used a tablet (touchscreen) before. Just bought one of these i-note-wifi-490x360.png

iMobile iNote 9"

Using the Android touchscreen, can someone tell how to copy and paste? Also, when I use Firefox and try to log into facebook, after typing my username and then dropping down to the password field I always lose what I've written in the username field. I know quite basic, but all this is new for me. Feeling my age now.

Edited by somchaismith

Has anyone tried the new Kindle Fire? I just got one and don't even know what it is yet, LOL. I chose it because of the association with Kindle books, and the subscription which is free for the first 30 days. I will say the screen and sound are brilliant. Here it is, and please scroll well down the page to see it.

Link

Also, I've seen posts about places to legally download lots of books. Does anyone have any links for that? Thanks. :)

This thing did see and connect to my home wifi easily, and it already had an Amazon email account in it for me but I replaced it with my Hotmail no problem.

Never used a tablet (touchscreen) before. Just bought one of these i-note-wifi-490x360.png

iMobile iNote 9"

Using the Android touchscreen, can someone tell how to copy and paste? Also, when I use Firefox and try to log into facebook, after typing my username and then dropping down to the password field I always lose what I've written in the username field. I know quite basic, but all this is new for me. Feeling my age now.

Just get the Facebook app from the play store. Much easier same goes for the TV app.

sent from my Q6

iMobile iNote 9"

Just get the Facebook app from the play store. Much easier same goes for the TV app.

sent from my Q6

Does this have a telephone or is it just internet telephone.? Not troo clued up on tablets, but I understand some can also be used as a telephone.

Here is the link for Ainol Novo10 hero for 6290 baht. Lowest price I can find in Thailand

http://www.iliketabl...-Dual-Core-1.5G

Seems no one interested in this one? Promotional price ending tomorrow. Instead of ordering from China for $189 usd, I consider buying from them for 206 usd (6290 baht) which is affordable.

out of stock, but i just ordered one from another company, for 6050baht should be delivered tomorrow, the quad core version has just been released and should be in thailand soon, they are 7000baht, looking forward to my first steps into the tablet world

a very good thread with lots of valuable advice for the beginner

• Like 1

out of stock, but i just ordered one from another company, for 6050baht should be delivered tomorrow, the quad core version has just been released and should be in thailand soon, they are 7000baht, looking forward to my first steps into the tablet world

You buy from here?

http://www.thailandandroidtablet.com/store/

Thats the closest (and lowest) price I can ever find. They also seems to have Onda V972, however I'll wait for Ainol Novo9 fire.

You buy from here?

http://www.thailanda...blet.com/store/

Thats the closest (and lowest) price I can ever find. They also seems to have Onda V972, however I'll wait for Ainol Novo9 fire.

no i buy here - http://www.mahaphone.com/

Thank you for link steve187. it seems they sell even more cheap than i can found on other thai websites. You buy with ems or from their shop?

my wife did a deal and paid via bank atm,was delivered on tuesday , really pleased

The Onda V972 is apparently in many Thai stores now. It's has a Retina Display (2048x1536) 9.7 inch display (iPad2 shape), Quad core, 2GB RAM, 16GB SD Store (also accepts a 32GB microSD card), comes with Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (update to 4.2 apparently available near term), Wifi Only but accepts external 3G dongle, front 2.0MP camera, rear 5MP camera, 8000ma battery, etc...etc....etc. See this English language Link for specs.

The western Bangkok shop I bought my V971 at back in Nov 12 already has them in stock...I think the V972 is going for around 7,000 baht. Now, I wish I had held off buying my V971 but I figured the V972 wouldn't be hitting stores until mid 2013. Oh well.

By the way, I did get the battery in my V971 replaced under warranty (they said they replaced the battery...heck, they might have merely fixed a loose connection inside). In some of my earlier posts where I mentioned the V971 was a slow charger...like takes overnight...please scratch that statement....it now charges almost as fast as my high end Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch tablet. The V971 which charges through it's microUSB port (versus a separate dedicated/round pin type port like many low end tablets) now charges approx 20% per hour of charge....from 0% to 100% in approx 5 hours based on my tests. I did another test today...charged from 69% to 100% in 1 hour and 40 minutes....charged from 81% to 100% in 1 hr and 6 minutes...depends how discharged it is as to the charging rate...but it seems to average a charge rate of approx 20% per hour of charge. The V971 comes with ICS but JB has been available for download since early Dec 12.

I got no complaints with the V971...wish it hadn't had that battery issue but that's water under the bridge now. Maybe I should fine a reason to give my V971 to a needy relative and go buy a V972.laugh.png I've found using a tablet is really nice.

And for you fine folks who are considering a V971 please note over the last few weeks apparently Onda is now producing Retina Display 2048x1536 versions also...while still selling the V971 1024x768 display version I bought in Nov 12. What you buy today will be outdated tomorrow...oh well. See this English language Link for various models.....be sure to look at the whole page as all the V971 versions are not side-by-side on the page...you need to scroll up and down a little....some at the top of the page...some at the bottom of the page.

I purchased a v712 at digilife 3rd floor Panthip last week at 3590 Baht,I think they had the v972 also but I only needed the 7", and are very competitive priced. For sure what I paid it was by far the best price available at Panthip and they upgraded it to jelly bean for free.

What I paid is about same price as is quoted at www.onda-sale.com , so I guess it will be the same for the v972.

Be aware that there is also a Digilife on 2nd floor which is remarkable 20% more expensive with all his items.

We I finally got a tablet, I picked up the Ainol novo7 flame.

It is a well spec'd little tablet, but I can't figure out how to get my AIS dongle to work with it. I see no settings where I can enable it.

Any tips?

Here is a list of officially supported 3G dongles - http://www.lokumrom....ially_supported

What is the brand/model of dongle you are using, perhaps searching Ainol forums can find something.

Found some more info here - http://www.ainol-nov...sb-dongle-list/

Also need an OTG cable not regular USB. http://www.ainolstore.com/otg-cable-mini-usb.html

We I finally got a tablet, I picked up the Ainol novo7 flame.

It is a well spec'd little tablet, but I can't figure out how to get my AIS dongle to work with it. I see no settings where I can enable it.

Any tips?

Here is a list of officially supported 3G dongles - http://www.lokumrom....ially_supported

What is the brand/model of dongle you are using, perhaps searching Ainol forums can find something.

Found some more info here - http://www.ainol-nov...sb-dongle-list/

Also need an OTG cable not regular USB. http://www.ainolstor...e-mini-usb.html

Thanks Twais, looks like my dongle has no support sad.png

I guess I'll fetch a new one.

Edited by canuckamuck

Hi guys,

I apologize if you find my question silly, but I have this doubt in my mind.

I saw some Thai friends with cheap 7" tablets using them just like mobile phones, making and receiving voice calls.

Now how is this implemented from a technical standpoint?

As far as I know tablets with 3G connectivity only support DATA sim card, not ordinary gsm card, am I wrong?

How can one even uses a tablet like a phone?

I am very interested 'cause my daughter-in-law keeps losing phones faster than I can buy now ones, so I think giving her a tablet might be a better option: it is bigger so hopefully less easy to lose thumbsup.gif

Edited by SinghaJoe

Hi guys,

I saw some Thai friends with cheap 7" tablets using them just like mobile phones, making and receiving voice calls.

As far as I know tablets with 3G connectivity only support DATA sim card, not ordinary gsm card, am I wrong?

I am very interested 'cause my daughter-in-law keeps losing phones faster than I can buy now ones, so I think giving her a tablet might be a better option: it is bigger so hopefully less easy to lose thumbsup.gif

VOiP (Voice over Internet Protocol). Several apps that allow you to call using Wifi such as Skype, Google Voice, etc

http://www.cmpcc.org/tablet-phone/

http://virtual-office.tmcnet.com/articles/309934-voip-just-sideshow-tablet-pcs.htm

Hi guys,

Are you sure she is losing them rather than selling them?

Does she always have to get a new sum card?

How old is she?

If you insist on buying phones just get the cheap Nokia or Samsung phones @ 550baht.

sent from my Q6

VOiP (Voice over Internet Protocol). Several apps that allow you to call using Wifi such as Skype, Google Voice, etc

http://www.cmpcc.org/tablet-phone/

http://virtual-offic...-tablet-pcs.htm

Thanks, so people with tablets are not making regular calls, just VOIP calls

Are you sure she is losing them rather than selling them?

Does she always have to get a new sum card?

How old is she?

If you insist on buying phones just get the cheap Nokia or Samsung phones @ 550baht.

sent from my Q6

She is 18 and she has that typical Thai careless attitube about objects, which as a Westerner I just can't stand.

Like "I lost my phone, so what, who gives a sh!t!"

She's not cheating, she just does not care much about things, like so many people here.

By the way, where do I find those 550 baht Nokia or Samsung phones?

Edited by SinghaJoe

And for you fine folks who are considering a V971 please note over the last few weeks apparently Onda is now producing Retina Display 2048x1536 versions also...while still selling the V971 1024x768 display version I bought in Nov 12. What you buy today will be outdated tomorrow...oh well. See this English language Link for various models.....be sure to look at the whole page as all the V971 versions are not side-by-side on the page...you need to scroll up and down a little....some at the top of the page...some at the bottom of the page.

Interesting, on the link you posted, at least as of today, it shows them out of stock for all of their V972 models and most of their V971 models, except for the white V971 16 GB retina version.

The specs. are very good on the sold out Onda V972 model, would love to hear from anybody who have actually played with one.

I wonder how much import tax I would be hit with if I buy one from them (when stock returns, ha-ha), 232US$ is very cheap for the specs. .

http://www.onda-sale.com/onda-v972-quad-core-a31-retina-9-7-inch-android-4-1-tablet-pc-16gb.html