Choosing A Tablet

canuckamuck

I have decided I will get a tablet of some kind. Here is some background info. I imagine it will mostly be used as an e-book reader, my wife will probably want it for email, as I am always hogging the office. And there are a few apps I would like, like a Thai translator and such. Another important use will be as an educational tool for my second oldest, who is showing autistic tendencies and is delayed. Nearly 3 and no words yet.

We have seen information to show how tablets are being used to help autistic kids communicate, so we want to try this.

I Live in a very remote location and can only get AIS edge, although there are promises of genuine adsl coming very soon. I have a wireless router on the shelf, but because I am on edge the router is not hooked up or needed. I do not know if I can generate a wifi signal from a computer that uses an edge dongle. If I could make a wifi zone by hooking up that router then I would not need a tablet that takes a sim. I imagine the wifi only tablets are less expensive.

I am cheap and I do not care about labels, I will be happy buying the cheapest one that suits my needs. This is not a device i will be dependent upon, just a tool. That being said, I think I would like to run Android, but Win 8 sounds OK too. Macs will not be considered. I am tempted by the G-pads currently.

What should I buy?

Edited by canuckamuck

I am also looking for a Tablet for using out at the patio in my house.

I have recently been to a shop and played around with Samsungs 10" tablet, very nice I must say, I saw a short HD movie on it and it's was awsome, but 21900 bath, hmm.

On this site you can buy a cheap Chinese clone:

But I don't know anything about them but a less than 6000K bath so it's less than 1/3 of the Samsung (Okay import duty and shipping not included), don't know it you can buy them in Thailand, properly.

I have decided to buy a 10", I will use it as back-up for my net-book and I find the 7" tablets too small for movies, but that's me.

I am still thinking about it and might wait until next year when my company bonus hopefully comes.

Part of me wants a 7" for portability, but the larger ones are probably better for my son. I am torn.

Budget = the least I need to pay, meaning I can afford any tablet, but I would prefer to spend the least possible.

The G-pads for example seem to be in 5000 range but they are wifi only. so I need to know if I can make a hotspot or do I have to spend more and get a tablet that takes a sim.

I think some/many/all of the G-Pad tablets can accept a USB Aircard w/SIM to address any mobile data requirements. Obviously you'll have to verify that, and factor in the additional cost.

You likely can use any Android tablet to create a WiFi hotspot, AKA Mobile AP, but that is of little use in your application. Once you had DSL at home, you can utilize a WiFi router to provide internet connectivity to any WiFi-only tablet.

It seems like the primary driver would be any applications you source to help address your son's learning challenges? I might identify those applications first, then make sure any hardware can run them as efficiently and beneficially as possible.

I think some/many/all of the G-Pad tablets can accept a USB Aircard w/SIM to address any mobile data requirements. Obviously you'll have to verify that, and factor in the additional cost.

You likely can use any Android tablet to create a WiFi hotspot, AKA Mobile AP, but that is of little use in your application. Once you had DSL at home, you can utilize a WiFi router to provide internet connectivity to any WiFi-only tablet.

It seems like the primary driver would be any applications you source to help address your son's learning challenges? I might identify those applications first, then make sure any hardware can run them as efficiently and beneficially as possible.

Thank you for that, I will have to ask if the G-pads can take a usb dongle with a sim. That would be perfect.

I do need to do more research about the apps I need, but from what I understand, it is the interaction the tablet itself that opens doorways to communication. So any app that he can understand and can hold his attention would be beneficial.

I was in Dubai over the weekend at GITEX, which is the region's biggest technology exhibition. In the consumer hall they had literally hundreds of different tablets, the 7" ones starting at $60.

At that sort of price you can suck it and see.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Buy an iPad, if you're extra cheap the old version for $400, or the new for $500 (about the same in baht)

Or for 7" you can't go wrong with a Google Nexus 7, it's a really nice device for $200. Best Android tablet out there. Not sure how easy these are to get in Thailand I think they're officially only sold in the USA. Can't be beat for the price.

iPad mini is going to come next week, rumored price for 7" is $250.

If you want to set $100 or whatever on fire and throw it out the window, get a cheap clone. I've played with one - they have the appearance of a tablet, and the screen turns on, but they don't actually do anything you'd want to do. I eventually managed to take a "funny" picture with the one I played with but it took 5 minutes of fiddling around with it. $60 is still pretty expensive for a door stop - just pick up a rock outside, same effect...

Yes, you can use the wifi router with a PC using an aircard. Use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to share the aircard with the other network interface, which would connect to the router.

Then other wifi devices can share the internet.

I was in Dubai over the weekend at GITEX, which is the region's biggest technology exhibition. In the consumer hall they had literally hundreds of different tablets, the 7" ones starting at $60.

At that sort of price you can suck it and see.

That is cheap and Android tablets are cheap here too http://jsat.tv/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=62 cheaper brands too down to THB 2,500 can be seen at places like Big C and the likes and all work well. Remember Samsung is but one of thousands of licensed Android manufacturers ..

Thank you for that, I will have to ask if the G-pads can take a usb dongle with a sim

No need to ask wink.png, my Gpad 8.0 Extreme (4800 Baht) works well with a Huawei E220 USB stick and AIS Simcard.

But usually, I use my Android smartphone to create a hotspot for the tablets.

I also have a 10" "Sanei N90" with HDMI output for watching movies/streams on the TV.

But the 10" is too big and doesn't fit under the bikes seat, so only for home use...

If you want to set $100 or whatever on fire and throw it out the window, get a cheap clone. I've played with one - they have the appearance of a tablet, and the screen turns on, but they don't actually do anything you'd want to do

Nonsense..

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

If you want home WIFI, but only have EDGE service with a dongle, the Cradlepoint MBR95 is a great solution. You plug your dongle into it and voila, it provides a home WIFI environment. Moreover, it allows you to have two simultaneous networks, one private and one “public” for your friends. I do not know if it is available here. I purchased mine through Amazon for delivery to a friend and reshipment to me in a plain box by post. No duty that way. Be sure your dongle is compatible with it, or you may have to purchase a new dongle. I use a Sierra 308 USB Modem aircard with my MBR 95. I have DTAC.

Also, be advised that if you buy Samsung, they will no longer support it as soon as the change the model number. Samsung touchscreens are notorious for failure short after warranty expiration.

Some very helpful advice here, Roban and Rakman particular thanks for the specific info I was missing.

Nikster, There is no way I would mire myself in the blackhole of the Mac ecosystem for the sake of a tablet. If your life support is Mac then I understand why you keep buying more, but fortunately I am free from that mess and plan to stay that way.

I have a 7in Nexus Asus/Google. I do enjoy it for Internet browsing, email, reading. I like the size and happy not to have some massive 10in model. Typing on the thing does suck though.

Im happy it was not Apple and while no sim card, only b7k shipped in usa.

Really like jellybean!

Here's another tablet brand to consider called ARNOVA....I've seen a lot of these in Thai stores and they are in the same price range as GPads. I to am in the market for an Android-based tablet and actually torn between going high end for a Samsung Note 10.1 or going low end for a GPad/Arnova in the 7 to 10 inch range. I too wouldn't sell my soul to Apple. One day I'm on the side of the fence saying just get the Samsung tablet with all the extra capability I will probably never need or use and the next day I'm on the other side of the fence telling myself I don't need a high end tablet that has all the 3G frequencies, good camera, phone capability, special Apps that I will probably never use if my primary use will be in the house on home Wifi to eRead, run certain Apps that don't need a mobile connection, playing games on it, won't be taking pictures with the tablet, nor making calls with it.

And of course, be sure to check out the screen display closely....most of the lower price models have lower resolution screens, but the screen display may still be more than good enough depending on what you plan to use it for.

But in continuing my research there are other things to look for to see if the device can use a uncrippled version of Google Play and is the device Google certified....I've read something that the ARNOVA tablets may not be Google-certified which means they may show up as-an incompatible device on Google Play which means you couldn't directly download an App from Google Play. But heck, I even have that problem for my Google-certified Samsung smartphone for a few Apps like Google Earth & Google Voice which says they are incompatible with my device....but actually the Apps "are" compatible it's just Google sees the Android-baseband/build ROM version on my phone is for Thailand and Earth/Voice Apps are not countries the Apps are not cleared for...but hey, download Google Earth to your laptop no problem. But you can still download/install these Apps in the APK file format from other sites and they install fine. And just FYI, unless I logon via a VPN connection with a U.S. IP address I can't even see Google Earth or Google Voice as Apps for download....although I can now see them when logging on via VPN but Play Google still won't let me download them because it sees my phone with the Thailand ROM on it. But as mentioned, this is more of a Google legal thing regarding certain countries versus the ability of the device to run the App.

It so hard for human to get practical sometimes, especially when humans have the trait of "Do I need it or will I use it, no.....but I still want and I have enough credit line on my the credit card!" Stop, stop, that one side of the fence talking again; the other side is now whispering to me I could buy 3 or 4 ARNOVA/Gpads which would meet all/most my real needs for the price of one Samsung Note which would more than meet my needs and desires. I'm so torn....I honestly don't know which way I will go.

I have an 8" G-pad extreme for 6 months now and am very happy with it. Does everything I want an only cost 4500 baht. It's great for ebook reading and the size is just right. I think a 10" might be too big and need 2 hands to hold it.

However I have just seen a Toshiba 10" reduced from 19990 to 9990. Spec looks good but does notinclude a sim card slot. I could be tempted

http://www.siamphone.com/spec/toshiba/thrive.htm

Edited by wjhall

I have been searching for a tablet, and the Ainol tablet was recommended to me -- see my thread on the Hero tablet asking if it is any good (the answer was "no"). I have looked at the Ainol Novo7 Aurora II 7" Android 4.0.3 ICS Tablet and the specs look pretty good. You can find it at INVADEIT.COM for B5690. It isn't 3G, but it does have a USB connection and will support an air card dongle. It only comes in the 7" size which is a limitation, I think. For me, I would use the tablet mostly for holiday traveling (maybe 2 weeks a year) to avoid the size and weight of my laptop, so I am probably going to wait for the next version, which will hopefully have internal 3G. But for in-house use, if it will support your required apps, it may be a good choice. INVADEIT is also taking orders on the Google Nexus tablet for about B9,000. That is also only 7" and no 3G.

I have an 8" G-pad extreme for 6 months now and am very happy with it. Does everything I want an only cost 4500 baht. It's great for ebook reading and the size is just right. I think a 10" might be too big and need 2 hands to hold it.

However I have just seen a Toshiba 10" reduced from 19990 to 9990. Spec looks good but does notinclude a sim card slot. I could be tempted

http://www.siamphone...hiba/thrive.htm

But you can buy an Asus net book for B8,000 -- no SIM slot with that either. It is light and very portable. What is the advantage of the Toshiba tablet over a cheaper, more versatile and good quality net book?

One other thing to research on a tablet is battery life and that can sometimes be hard to do unless it has been reviewed. There can be major differences in how long a battery will maintain adequate charge while using the screen continuously like when reading or watching a video. A person merely can't go on the battery's miliamphour rating as each tablet uses different electronic components....some designs/components/screens eat power fast while others don't.

When it comes to a tablet the Ipad is the best, i have both a Ipad and a Andorid 10.1" tablet and handsdown the Ipad wins for looks, feels, works and the apps look 10 times better on a Ipad.

You can use this piece of free software http://www.virtualwifirouter.com/p/downlooad.html that will create a virtual wifi router from your PC and should be able to use the dongle connection,

If you dont mind paying the price i would pay the extra 3k and get a tablet with a SIM you never know when you might need it.

• Like 1

I have had both ipad and Samsung galaxy Tab, Apple iPad is streets ahead in my opinion.

Now I have iPad 3, wife has iPad 3, have given the Samsungs away to her Sisters, they were ok, they just don't have the smooth operation of the iPad, the Apps just never worked as smooth or seemed the same quality, they always seemed choppy and laggy.

The Samsungs were the original 10.1 tablets, dont know what OS they were using, but it was in no way as smooth as my original iPad 1 which had much lower specs on paper.

Maybe the later Android operating systems are much better than what I had, but it's too late now, I can't see me going from Apple to Android, the iPad app system is just too good and the quality of apps in the store is too high to want to change.

I do use my Tablet a lot so quality is much more important than price, and iPad with retina display, in my opinion, is unbeatable.

People do complain about the closed Apple system, but the quality of the Apps would not be so high if it was open.

• Like 1

I agree that the ipad3 is hands down the best to use for fun and apps and it is becoming increasingly competitive as a business tool. one of its shortcomings is battery life/recharge time, but otherwise a good tool for the computer illiterati like me.

I think there are a couple of important things here...

1. Being an Android tablet is NOT the same as being (I'm not sure of the correct term here) Google licensed/certified for the full range of Google apps... Pib alluded to this above. A lot of the cheap Chinese or similar brand tablets run Android, but don't have the range of real Google apps and won't have full access to the Google Play store's huge range of apps. More brand name tablets from makers like ASUS, Samsung and others will have all the Google apps and full access to the Google Play store's hundreds of thousands of apps. That could be particularly important for the OP, if he's looking to find/use apps suited for a potentially autistic child.

2. One of the things I don't like about many (if not all) of the Samsung brand tablets is their tendency to require their own proprietary charger units, as opposed to simply charging thru a standard mini or micro USB cable that also is used for data transfer. Tablets are meant to be portable devices. So if I'm carrying around a tablet, I don't also want to be carrying around a bulky AC charger brick. The advantage of tablets that use USB for charging is also that those cords are pretty much interchangeable, so if the one for your tablet is lost or broken, you probably can use another one you have at home for your phone or other electronics device. Not the case with units that have proprietary AC chargers.

3. Having the option to use 3G data on a tablet is a nice feature, but it almost always is going to result in the original tablet purchase being considerably more expensive. Whereas wifi only tablets almost always are going to be less expensive than their dual 3G/wifi counterparts. That said, someone can create a wifi connection using any type of Internet feed, EDGE or ADSL by using a MyFi device with a data-enabled phone or a Wifi router with an ADSL provisioned home computer with a wifi router. A wifi tablet will operate on either, though EDGE internet via wifi certainly would be slow for tablet use.