Pickup - Which Is The Most Comfortable Ride And Fuel Economy?

thaicruze

By then, the Isuzu might have changed

Yes true, by then they might have made a V-Cross-Super-X-Titanium-Extra-Plus variant, but with 3 racing stripes and even more cameras this time ;)

Actually, jokes aside, rumor has it TH will be seeing the twin-turbo 2.5L engine (as fitted to European D-Max's) within the next year or so..

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... rumor has it TH will be seeing the twin-turbo 2.5L engine (as fitted to European D-Max's) within the next year or so..

Twin-turbo? I wonder why?

My Triton has a turbo. I have never used it, apart from on a handful of occasions when I have deliberately floored the accelerator on an open road to see what would happen.

I find that 2000rpm is more than enough for both pulling away and for cruising at ~100kph. In fact at 2000rpm I leave most vehicles standing at the lights. The turbo does not kick in at this level.

.... rumor has it TH will be seeing the twin-turbo 2.5L engine (as fitted to European D-Max's) within the next year or so..

My Triton has a turbo. I have never used it, apart from on a handful of occasions when I have deliberately floored the accelerator on an open road to see what would happen.

I find that 2000rpm is more than enough for both pulling away and for cruising at ~100kph. In fact at 2000rpm I leave most vehicles standing at the lights. The turbo does not kick in at this level.

Turbo is always spinning. It's what they do. Open your window and you will hear it. smile.png

Wanna sell the Turbo?
  • Like 2

Just spoke with a Thai Triton owner.

He says everything is fine. Except that when he goes on the highway at highway speeds, it feels like the car is floating. Doesn't feel planted at all.

Is this common to all Pickups?

Any New Dmax owners? Does the new Dmax suffer from this also?

Turbo is always spinning. It's what they do. Open your window and you will hear it.

It may always be spinning but it doesn't seem to do anything at low revs. I do notice it kick in when I floor the accelerator (after a brief delay, which would seem to emphasise that mostly it isn't doing anything) but as I mentioned I never do this in the course of normal usage.

So as the single one I have doesn't appear to be doing much, I still wonder how on earth I would be better off with two of them?

Turbo is always spinning. It's what they do. Open your window and you will hear it.

It may always be spinning but it doesn't seem to do anything at low revs. I do notice it kick in when I floor the accelerator (after a brief delay, which would seem to emphasise that mostly it isn't doing anything) but as I mentioned I never do this in the course of normal usage.

So as the single one I have doesn't appear to be doing much, I still wonder how on earth I would be better off with two of them?

Same as a super charger, spinning all the time BUT it depends on the set up. The Vigo has no lag what so ever, it just does it's stuff. Engineered to perfection. I have driven a Saab 99 Turbo, that had a real lag. sad.png

Throttle response to try to match that of a naturally aspirated petrol engine. The smaller turbos will spool up to boost more quickly than a larger turbo. It also leaves more room for growth with additional fueling.

Edited by SoCalChris

Hi all ,

I am wanting to buy a new pickup 4 door and have been on some other threads here and I am leaning toward the bt-50 ,because I like the look of it and the delivery should be faster ,I also like the isuzu 3.0lt .safety is a big issue for me and after checking out a lot of the different models and brands online its seems the nissan has all the stuff ie. dual air bags and ABS for about 100k cheaper than the others ,why is that ? I havent read much on here about the nissan ,what are the motors in them like ? are they reliable and good to drive etc?Also have been doing muy research on this website http://www.siamnewcar.com/home_en.php ,anybody know how accurate the prices are ? Its good for checking specs and has compare button where you can check out 4 cars at once .

I dont know much about cars and and want some advice from you guys about the motor size also 2.2 vs2.5 and 3.0 lt etc.

thanks .

You must have a very old, base spec Triton then wink.png

Even the 140HP (pre VGT) 2.5L Triton 4D56 is audible from around 1400-1500 RPM, and the newer VGT models (178HP) start spooling about 300 RPM earlier than that wink.png

Why two turbos? pffft. Maybe a better question is to ask BMW "why 3 turbos?", or indeed "why even a single VGT turbo?" heheh biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO

Hi all ,

I am wanting to buy a new pickup 4 door and have been on some other threads here and I am leaning toward the bt-50 ,because I like the look of it and the delivery should be faster ,I also like the isuzu 3.0lt .safety is a big issue for me and after checking out a lot of the different models and brands online its seems the nissan has all the stuff ie. dual air bags and ABS for about 100k cheaper than the others ,why is that ? I havent read much on here about the nissan ,what are the motors in them like ? are they reliable and good to drive etc?Also have been doing muy research on this website http://www.siamnewcar.com/home_en.php ,anybody know how accurate the prices are ? Its good for checking specs and has compare button where you can check out 4 cars at once .

I dont know much about cars and and want some advice from you guys about the motor size also 2.2 vs2.5 and 3.0 lt etc.

thanks .

Don't know much about Nissan pickups, except that their motor has a reputation for being a glutton with gas. So, not exactly the most advised. Their resale value is also lower, but other than that, they appear to be pretty solid machines.

Hi all ,

thanks .

Hi all ,

thanks .

Nissan Frontier replacement due soon ?? Friend has a current 4 door Auto, difficult to get 8 km per lt, the other 'New' pickups are more like 12 - 14..

Hi all ,

thanks .

I've had a D-Max 3.0Lt automatic for just coming up to 3 years. It's a comfortable ride, although the leaf-springs do give a slightly 'bouncy castle' effect if there's no weight in the back. On local trips I reckon it gets about 10km/litre, on a recent run between Udon Thani and Rayong it exceeded 13.5. The engine's a little noisy from cold, but quiet enough when warmed up. It's utterly reliable, I had to replace the battery 6 months ago and before that a broken shock absorber from hitting a monster pothole at 110kph, apart from that, nothing. It's done about 46000 kilos and is still on the original tyres. We've carried literally tons of building materials and stuff for the garden, and as far as I'm concerned, 'face' doesn't come into it, for provincial Thailand there is nothing to beat this type of vehicle. Its only drawback is that it has the turning circle of the Ark Royal, and parking would be a bugger without the camera in the tailgate (a standard fitting, as are USB connection and satnav). I expect I will have run into the ground before it does.

I've had a D-Max 3.0Lt automatic for just coming up to 3 years. It's a comfortable ride, although the leaf-springs do give a slightly 'bouncy castle' effect if there's no weight in the back. On local trips I reckon it gets about 10km/litre, on a recent run between Udon Thani and Rayong it exceeded 13.5. The engine's a little noisy from cold, but quiet enough when warmed up. It's utterly reliable, I had to replace the battery 6 months ago and before that a broken shock absorber from hitting a monster pothole at 110kph, apart from that, nothing. It's done about 46000 kilos and is still on the original tyres. We've carried literally tons of building materials and stuff for the garden, and as far as I'm concerned, 'face' doesn't come into it, for provincial Thailand there is nothing to beat this type of vehicle. Its only drawback is that it has the turning circle of the Ark Royal, and parking would be a bugger without the camera in the tailgate (a standard fitting, as are USB connection and satnav). I expect I will have run into the ground before it does.

+1 for Dmax 3 litre Auto.

Edited by DILLIGAD

The engine's a little noisy from cold, but quiet enough when warmed up

Reason being they are chain driven not belt driven..

I have owned 3x D-Max, the last one being the 2008 'Gold Series' Did NOT do a test drive as owned 2 before, the only odd thing was the steering, nothing like the model before 2005..

This time test drove all models, to me the Mazda BT50 Hi-Racer+ was by far the best, love it.

I have owned 3x D-Max, the last one being the 2008 'Gold Series' Did NOT do a test drive as owned 2 before, the only odd thing was the steering, nothing like the model before 2005..

This time test drove all models, to me the Mazda BT50 Hi-Racer+ was by far the best, love it.

Same for me. I have owned two D-Max's before, and now changed to the BT50, more car for about the same money IMO. But I do not rule out a move back to the D-Max in the future, I have always been happy with that.

The noise could also come from piston slap. When cold, the forged pistons bounce around in their cylinder bores slightly and make a rattling sound. Hypereutectic pistons also do this but not as much. Once up to temp in about several minutes, the aluminum pistons expand more than the cast iron cylinders and the piston sound goes away.

Edited by SoCalChris

Ford ranger wildtrak 2.2 auto on a long run not in stop start traffic does 33.83 MPG without a load in the back and 32MPG loaded

In Thailand we pay gas and diesel per liter.

is Gas petrol ? or LPG ?

if the km per lt was converted to MPG is that UK gallon or USA gallon as there different, so yes is confusing

Ford ranger wildtrak 2.2 auto on a long run not in stop start traffic does 33.83 MPG without a load in the back and 32MPG loaded

I haven't heard great things about the new Ranger. I was excited about it after I saw one on YouTube go through water up to the hood almost. But then a friend of mine test drove it, he was almost going to buy it, then he took it out for a drive and was really disappointed. He said it was a bad and loud ride and it isn't as quality inside as he thought so he decided not to get it.

I would check out a Vigo if the interior wasn't so crap, plastic and outdated (and came in a color other than tan). What is it with Toyota and their tan plastic interiors?

Edited by thaicruze

Car Buyer UK on the New Ford Ranger

• CONS:
  • High running costs
  • Disappointing cabin
  • Hard to park

This isn't the UK. I wouldn't drive a pickup in UK, but wouldn't consider anything else here.

Agreed but the UK Ford Ranger is built in Thailand..

I just read that test and they say that it's among one of the best pick-ups to drive.

When I read the Ranger topic here in TV I only read about happy owners, so TC's opinion based on his friend opinion has to be taken with a bit of hmmmblink.png

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/ford/ranger/sports-utility-vehicle/review

Car Buyer UK on the New Ford Ranger

• CONS:
  • High running costs
  • Disappointing cabin
  • Hard to park

This isn't the UK. I wouldn't drive a pickup in UK, but wouldn't consider anything else here.

Agreed but the UK Ford Ranger is built in Thailand..

Are any UK car magazines favourable to any pickup trucks? I think I'd respect an Australian or US review over one from the UK (I'm a Brit). I remember watching a Top Gear program & they had a GM pickup truck, US style, not Thai. Big engine, loads of power. They drag raced it - awesome. Then Clarkson was critical of it being on a ladder frame!! What was he expecting from a pickup truck?