mrxten

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

re.

the circuit breaker and ELCB unit are usually in the consumer unit (fuse box)

which shouldn't be in the bathroom.

bugger .... somchi failed again : (

dave2

That is an accident waiting to happen!

if you accidentally spray the ELCB box while showering it could be curtains for youw00t.gif

The live cable entering the top is not protected and carries high amperage with 240v

I thought current in Thailand was low, compared to other countries.

If you want to be sure, just turn the temp knob to minimum setting and have a cold shower,

this will prevent the heating element from switching on and therefore be safe.

Not really as the 220 is still entering the unit including the switch and internal terminals. My house, all 3 bathrooms have heaters with ELB and the master switch is on the wall outside the bathroom.

What do you mean master switch?

My heaters don't have a 'master switch'.

I thought of putting the shower unit outside the bathroom but my electrician said it was totally safe inside. What difference does it make having the unit outside?

Borrowing Dave2's previous photo, this is the switch type in my current bathrooms but mounted outside the bathroom itself. My previous house had the exact same type switch but mounted very close to but above the water heater.

post-566-0-49747300-1351060147_thumb.jpg

The one in the photo is a danger, water can enter directly into it.

If you want to be sure, just turn the temp knob to minimum setting and have a cold shower,

this will prevent the heating element from switching on and therefore be safe.

Not really as the 220 is still entering the unit including the switch and internal terminals. My house, all 3 bathrooms have heaters with ELB and the master switch is on the wall outside the bathroom.

What do you mean master switch?

My heaters don't have a 'master switch'.

I thought of putting the shower unit outside the bathroom but my electrician said it was totally safe inside. What difference does it make having the unit outside?

Borrowing Dave2's previous photo, this is the switch type in my current bathrooms but mounted outside the bathroom itself. My previous house had the exact same type switch but mounted very close to but above the water heater.

That seems very dangerous. I've never had a house or apartment with one of those.

In Bangkok, I lived in an apartment with gas heaters in the bathrooms - wish I still had them.

I've never seen any other apartments with these kind of heaters. Possibly because the apartments were built for US embassy staff.

As you can see in this exampel of hotel

http://www.booking.c...9c71dbc1dda7dX6

Theres metal shower hoses as you can see in the picture. But theres no box in the shower? Then it should be relatively safe? That often means it the heather is not near the shower?

That is correct.

Feel safer now smile.png Hotels with this setup only, or no showering.

Surely the water has to go through the box even if it outside the bathroom. If something goes wrong then the current would travel through the water to the person showering??

As you can see in this exampel of hotel

http://www.booking.c...9c71dbc1dda7dX6

Theres metal shower hoses as you can see in the picture. But theres no box in the shower? Then it should be relatively safe? That often means it the heather is not near the shower?

That is correct.

Feel safer now smile.png Hotels with this setup only, or no showering.

Surely the water has to go through the box even if it outside the bathroom. If something goes wrong then the current would travel through the water to the person showering??

Those are from hot water boilers usually in the basement/bottom floor and centrally distributed to the rooms, though they could be on a floor by floor asis. The boiler could be gas or electric powered and probably distributed to the final destination via PVC pipe. Not an issue. Similar to this.

220px-FEMA_-_63_-_Photograph_by_Dave_Saville_taken_on_10-04-1999_in_North_Carolina.jpg

Lots of info here - wiki

Not long after moving into our house we got an electrician friend to go up to the roof area and have a check.

He found the earth cables from the showers going through the ceiling and just laying there going no where.

We got him to bang a 2 meter copper earth rod into the ground and connect them up along with various sockets around the house.

I too worry about hotel room showers.

I am always impressed about wise people like Mr. elektrified (what a name laugh.png ) who know more than I have seen with my own eyes.

I watched a pool repair in a hotel in Pattaya, I checked the bulbs with the voltage spec, I have seen the unusally thick conducters) and people working on the live line while guets wading in the water.

re.

the circuit breaker and ELCB unit are usually in the consumer unit (fuse box)

which shouldn't be in the bathroom.

bugger .... somchi failed again : (

dave2

That is an accident waiting to happen!

if you accidentally spray the ELCB box while showering it could be curtains for youw00t.gif

The live cable entering the top is not protected and carries high amperage with 240v

I thought current in Thailand was low, compared to other countries.

No such thing as a country that has low current.

Only Voltage differs from 110V to 220/40V in different countries.

Current is a variable in any country, it is determined by the wattage divided by the voltage.

Watts

Current = ----------

Volts

That seems very dangerous. I've never had a house or apartment with one of those.

In Bangkok,

Actually I have seen that exact setup many times here in the north.

Like Tywais said it would be much safer with the switch outside the bathroom.

One good things ( if any ) about that pic is at least it has plastic hose & handle from the unit

Theoretically I think?? you would not get shocked in any case unless you had a hand on the switch or unit during a fault

No such thing as a country that has low current.

Only Voltage differs from 110V to 220/40V in different countries.

Current is a variable in any country, it is determined by the wattage divided by the voltage.

Watts

Current = ----------

Volts

In the USA the Voltage is 110V.

In Thailnd it is 220 V

If the same appliance is used, then if there is a shock, the current will be much larger in the USA than Thailand.

I'd much rather get a shock in Thailand than the USA as it's the current that kills not the voltage.

Edited by Johnniey

Ditto to the above regarding the install of electrical equipment etc, but I once got a middle ear infection from the bloody shower water!!!!

Likewise, I think that the risk of an infection from contaminated water is far greater than any risk of electrocution. Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni

If the same appliance is used, then if there is a shock, the current will be much larger in the USA than Thailand.

I'd much rather get a shock in Thailand than the USA as it's the current that kills not the voltage.

Wow, that is so wrong. The current increases with voltage given the same resistance. I = E/R. Being an electrical engineer I would much rather get hit by the US 110V then 20,000 Volts - which BTW I have been hit with at work. I work with systems from nanovolts to 2 Megavolts (million). Trust me, 20,000 volts is going to cause significantly more damage and current draw than 110 for the same body resistance. I do agree on one thing, it's the current that is the deciding factor.

I rented a lovely wooden house in Issan, all the correct breakers and earthing was in place, very pleased.

One day I decided to clean the leaves out of the metal gutters of the car port. As soon as I touched the gutter I was shocked off my ladders, the electric supply wire had made contact with the top of the gutter.

The local electrician then made it safe by putting a bicycle inner tube around the wire :(

That moment has made me very cautious when dealing with electric in Thailand.

Hi again.

Thanks for all replies.

I've done some searching. Even contacting a close friend regarding this matter.

We sat done earlier today and had a discussion..

He's absolutely sure that even if you dont touch the shower hoses you could, regardless of which shower hose get electrocuted.

All this couse your standing in water, and the electrician will travel through you due to your head being so close to the shower hose.

I told him that it was impossible couse the water flow is not strong enough to create an electrical conductors. But he was convinced he was right.

I've also made some reading about this whole "electronic water system" thingy. And from the thai point of view they are not that scared couse they have a type of "breaker/cutter" in every unit. Cant realy remember the name of it. But it dident require a earth grounded connection atleast.

If anyone know what im talking about, could you then please explain if these realy work as a "parachute" if an accident occurs?

Regards,

mrXten

Edited by mrxten

So many questions. Im sorry for that.

Solar system? Is there many hotels that use that? Or is it rare?

Im actually thinking of skipping the showering part and just use the sea :D

What about Water Parks? Are that safe for the kids? Do they use earth connections?

Regards,

mrxten

Now this is getting silly, the op is worried (paranoid?) about getting electrocuted in the shower but thinks about going in the sea. Dependant upon which part of Thailand you are the sea can be filthy, and swimming can just be a case of going through the motions.

For op, if the hot water is from a central storage tank the risk of being electrocuted is very remote. If the shower has an on demand heater check that it has a ELCB test button and use it, the heater should trip. If still worried use a neon screwdriver to touch a metal part of the heater, if it lights tell the hotel. It there is a breaker outside of the bathroom (or it could be in the bathroom next to the heater, dont use wet hands.) turn it off and take cold showers.

Yes electricity should be respected.

As to general dangers, I would assume that you do not intend to rent a motorcycle whilst here ? A much higher risk. Also crossing the road can be dangerous. Nearly forgot some ice can be contaminated, and etc etc.

Have a nice stay.

Now this is getting silly, the op is worried (paranoid?) about getting electrocuted in the shower but thinks about going in the sea. Dependant upon which part of Thailand you are the sea can be filthy, and swimming can just be a case of going through the motions.

For op, if the hot water is from a central storage tank the risk of being electrocuted is very remote. If the shower has an on demand heater check that it has a ELCB test button and use it, the heater should trip. If still worried use a neon screwdriver to touch a metal part of the heater, if it lights tell the hotel. It there is a breaker outside of the bathroom (or it could be in the bathroom next to the heater, dont use wet hands.) turn it off and take cold showers.

Yes electricity should be respected.

As to general dangers, I would assume that you do not intend to rent a motorcycle whilst here ? A much higher risk. Also crossing the road can be dangerous. Nearly forgot some ice can be contaminated, and etc etc.

Have a nice stay.

Thank you for the reply.