Shera House

klikster

Had occasion to stop by Thai Wasadu in KK yesterday. Maphant Group is building a demonstration house that appears to be 100% Shera + Maphant shingle roof screwed to a steel frame. It gives the impression of a stick-built house. They had some interesting materials and the design was really nice.

Anyone in the neighborhood, it's worth a look. Place is just north of the northern ring-road bypass -- opposite Do Home.

The guys building in KK worked directly for Maphant/Shera. I thumbed through the plans -- a 1 cm+ thick bound set. Very professional.

They guy told us that they leave certain features showing, i.e., screw heads, so people can see how the houses are are put together. These may be geared to resorts.

• 3 weeks later...

Shera is a great [in concept]. but the downsides that I have experienced is that it's quite brittle and does fracture and countersinking screw fasteners is quite ugly. Wish they could somehow make it a bit more flexible, as a small thump will break it.

My wife went inside the attractive Shera Demonstration House at I Q in Buriram today. She liked the look and size of that two bedroom two bath model home. The Shera representative told my wife the price, including labor, was 2.5 million, but that did not include "built in furniture". They had plenty of printed literature for this Shera House concept inside the actual model home. The "devil is in the details", but via the "wife translation" it sounded to me that they would list everything that was included and not included in writing. At least twelve other retailers in Buriram sell Shera products, and I have no idea of the relationship that each or any dealer has with the "contracting firm" that was indicated to my wife today. It sure seemed better than the recycled metal shipping container concept homes I had seen at an architect Expo. There is a similar Shera House being built currently at Thai Wat Sa Du in Buriram down the street, so one could see how it is built and perhaps speak to the actual men building that model house.

I was wondering why they actually finish the building completely, a glimpse inside the structure would have been much more interesting to me than looking at a finished building.

Drive past the IQ in Buriram most days- Chinese firm, lots of attractive young girls doing nothing and not know nuffink. And expensive.

Anyway we are talking about millions here... we built a nice house in the 6 figures here...

We built a bungalow for our maid/gardener using wood beams and shera siding. We had no problems at all with any breakage during construction or in the ensuing year since. The screws are easily painted over and not noticeable.

A friend of ours landscaped his garden using 5-6" wide steel strips.......very nice....but very expensive. We decided to use shera siding to do the same. We have it along walkways and all over our garden. After a year, we've had zero breaks/chips. The stuff is easy to bend....no worry about rust, termites, rot, etc.....and it's cheap!

post-10743-0-70292700-1353504621_thumb.j

I am not certain that Shera wood contains asbestos. When you look at the website you see a distinct mentioning of it being asbestos free only with some products.

Eaves Asbestos free: http://www.mahaphant...ng.jsp?prdid=25

Decor wood no mention of it being asbestos free: http://www.mahaphant...ng.jsp?prdid=67

As being asbestos free is very good for public opinion and marketing leaving 'asbestos free' out of the text can only mean that it contains it. Another reason could be complete stupidity ( Very good change it is this).

On the other hand when you look at the description ( http://www.mahaphant.com/en/our-products/product-shera-detail-datasheet.jsp?prdid=67) it says cellulose fibre.

I guess a written statement or guarantee form them can make a consumer sure.

Edited by Khun Jean

YES, asbestos is still used in Thailand! If it is a fiber-cement product, be very careful. So much product labeling here is an outright Lie, I don't trust any of em. Caveat emptor.

And now - no offense to builders of fiber cement houses - I'm going to tick off a few 'features' of these products, after having been around them professionally for decades.

As fiber-cement board products are very soft material, they often get 'wavey' as they relax over time & with moisture. Results depend on board thickness, orientation, substrate, framing spacing, detailing.

Also, const knowledge of the installer is limited as its a new matl for LoS.

Its very flimsy! one kamoey can punch right through the walls and gain entry.

Foremost in my opinion, all of these fiber cement board products, but especially the fake wood grain-imprinted material, give the home a cheesy, factory-made look & feel that looks very soul-less & low quality when new, and just gets worse as it ages. It screams "Government Housing."

My vote is for the solid, down to earth, olde fashioned brick/block & mortar with cement render for projects in LoS. All local builders know it by heart, and it has a "visual softness" that comes only from hand-made materials, since the eye picks up its slight surface modulations. Its easily patched & modified, lasts forever. With proper overhangs and decent design & construction, and a little maintenance, you just can't beat it.

Edited by bbradsby