Is There No-Go Area In Bangkok ?

duiter

Ladprao 101 was rated the most dangerous in BKK...

By who, and why? Seems strange - that area is pretty quite?

I've always felt much safer in Bangkok than many UK and Europeancities after dark.

Pick-pocketing is universal - I've know people this happend to in Italy, Holland, France and the UK. I and a group of friends had a problem in Switzeralnd with a couple of junkie bikers asking for money - nearly turned very nasty.

I have noticed that Thai friends are more concerned about safety these days. Recently on 2 occasions different Thai ladies gave me a lift half way home. Both were concerned about dropping me off so I could pick a taxi up. One went well out of her way so I would be on the right side of the road and not have to cross a bidge which she thought could be dangerous for "farang" at night. The other insisted on turning into her village and we sat in the car whilst security got a taxi. This was off a main road which I know very well, but she stiil wasn't happy to drop me there. Perhaps I'm just beginning to look old and an easier target?

I get it from some Thai colleagues and friends as well, and i'm young and fit. To be honest i don't think they know what they are talking about, i know it's their country/city, but a fair bit of the people I normally socialize with, was brought up in pretty protected environments - They don't really seem to know, whats the beat of the street in Khlong Toei at night...i recon their fathers wasn't regulars at Mosquito bar wai2.gif

Don't think so, it was Lad Phrao 19 or 21 if I recall nearby the MRT station. 101 is very quiet soi from my recollection.

Long time no see Mr T, anyway LP 19 is a tiny soi in length, Ideo condo complex on one side and commercial property on the other, you walk the length of it in less than 2 or 3 minutes.

I remember a while back there was an article that mentioned Lat Prao area as being one of the worst, that was a few years ago and didnt mention any specific sois, this whole area is now undergoing regeneration and redevelopment, I dont know why it isnt more popular with the On Nut brigade, it has ease of access as you mention with the MRT.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Don't think so, it was Lad Phrao 19 or 21 if I recall nearby the MRT station. 101 is very quiet soi from my recollection.

Long time no see Mr T, anyway LP 19 is a tiny soi in length, Ideo condo complex on one side and commercial property on the other, you walk the length of it in less than 2 or 3 minutes.

I remember a while back there was an article that mentioned Lat Prao area as being one of the worst, that was a few years ago and didnt mention any specific sois, this whole area is now undergoing regeneration and redevelopment, I dont know why it isnt more popular with the On Nut brigade, it has ease of access as you mention with the MRT.

Yes thanks RGS I know the area pretty well as I have had a house on Soi 33 since 2008, but I remember some posting in The Bangkok Post regarding one of the Sois nearby, you're right though that area is being very much regenerated. I think it was probably in the papers around two years ago, but seems time goes so bloody quickly. There might be some reference to it here on Thai Visa in a particular thread, but as I am feeling lazy and about to siT down for Sunday Lunch, I'll let someone else look for it.

In my mind and personal experience the most dangerous area in bangkok ,was I am afraid to say, a certain station of one particular sort based in thonglor.

An place where one should expect to feel safe and protected.Not totally at the mercy of men who could be totally and utterly both unprofessional and corrupt.

A place where if you had no money, no connections and no luck, and worse still came from a nation they do not have to respect for you could be in very very big trouble .

It would not matter a hoot if you had done nothing at all wrong in any sense.

If you happened to find youself there it was usually because some racist bully thugs who rule that area were low on cash so used the power invested in them to basicly kidnap you.

You could then be threaten,beaten,intimidated,insulted,set-up and if you were not lucky to be of those people without friends/connections/money/luck- you could murdered.

That is what I consider a "no go" area.

• Like 1

The only unsafe thing I have ever ran into in Bangkok, or any part of Thailand was in all Thai bars, and talking to the ladies there. That can be extremely dangerous if someone gets jealous.

That's a possibility in any bar in any city. Hardly deserving of a no-go tag.

All you've really got to do is keep your eyes open and avoid hitting on or being hit on by a girl who looks like she's had a few grand spent on her by some guy.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Thaivisa Connect App

This information is from 2008, I think, but might give some posters a point of reference.

http://www.phuket-in...ad-bangkok.html

I am pretty suRE that it was originally posted in the Bangkok Post or Nation - but yes, I do recall that, and I'm sure it was discussed here on TV

It was indeed discussed here when the story came out. I remeber it clearly because I live on Lad Prao 87, and use Lad Prao 101 quite a lot- there is a good shortcut through the back sois from 101 to 87, At the time, I didn't get why Lad Prao 101 deserved this reputation- it doesn't seem any different from a lot of other streets and areas in the city.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Klongtoey south of the market,

Lumphini on the little streets to the east of wireless roads, behind the police stations (actually pretty good shortcut to walk from Asoke to Lumphinipark)

Phra Khanong

Most of the time it's a few specific soi of that area, not the whole area

I've walked a lot during the evenings in Bangkok, if you know what you're doing and don't look a total tourist you'll be fine, most trouble on the sidewalk you can spot and steer way clear off, only motorcycle borne thugs are harder to spot and avoid/defend against.

even certain areas that seems busy enough during the day becomes pretty sinister during the night, Asoke Intersection on the opposite side of Soi Cowboy for example, it gets pretty dark and there are all kinds of junkies sniffing glue there on old the market stalls

Taxi drivers will refuse to drive you to certain places after dark in Bangkok. Sorry, I can't remember where it was we wanted to go. Khlong Toei?

slums in klong toei.

I walked down the railroad tracks one night later than I wanted too, maybe an hour after the sun went down. It wasn't fun, i'll admit, but nothing happened :) I walked it in the daytime about 20 times no problem.