Can I Obtain An O-A Residency Visa In Country?

A friend, who has lived in Thailand for nine years, has told me that I can:

1. Enter Thailand on a 30-day tourist visa

2. Complete an affidavit of income (minimum 65,000 baht monthly), or, a blank affidavit listing my income and bank account (total 800,000 baht)

3. Go to Thai Immigration in Pattaya and obtain a longstay retirement residency visa.

Later he amended that to:

1. Enter Thailand on a 30-day tourist visa.

2. Get a 90-day visa in Pattaya

3. Complete an affidavit of retirement income (minimum 65,000 baht monthly), or, a blank affidavit listing my retirement income and bank account (total 800,000 baht)

4. Go to Thai Immigration in Pattaya and obtain a longstay retirement visa.

When I said that I would rather transfer money to Thailand than use my existing U.S. account, he told me that the Thai bank account must be opened two months prior to being used for visa purposes, and for that I would definitely need to get a 90-day visa before coming to Thailand.

My question: Is it possible to obtain a longstay retirement visa (O-A) in country? If so, do I need other documentation, forms, etc.?

If not, is it possible to leave Thailand (say to Malaysia or Cambodio) and obtain the visa? If so, what do I need to provide the Thai consulate in that country?

Sorry for this being so complex, but it just seems too good to be true (which means it probably is).

Thanks in advance

O-A Long stay visa is NEVER available in Thailand.

O-A is only available from your home country. You do NOT need an O-A, ever, to enter the annual retirement extension system IN Thailand. It is only an option.

What you can indeed do at Pattaya (and other but not all offices) is the so called "two step" process.

Step 1: Change of visa status application from a tourist visa OR 30 day stamp to SINGLE entry O visa (not O-A); show financial eligibility at this time for Step 2 to be eligible to complete Step 1.

Step 2: Application for annual extension based on retirement.

Financial requirements:

A. Letter from embassy showing 65K baht per month income (OR)

B. Balance in Thai bank account showing at least 800K seasoned for two months (OR)

C. Combination of embassy letter of income plus Thai bank account totaling at least 800K (no seasoning needed)

Step 2 generally done during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay of the single entry O visa obtained in Step 1.

If using financial qualification method (B.) seasoning not needed to be completed for Step 1. but needed for Step 2.

Bank account methods for retirement extensions require funds to be in a THAI bank account. Applicants for O-A visas in their home countries may use funds outside Thailand for qualification.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing

"O-A is only available from your home country. You do NOT need an O-A, ever, to enter the annual retirement extension system IN Thailand. It is only an option."

What visa do you end up with after you have had the "annual extension" (in lieu of an OA Visa)?

Edited by CeeBee

You end up not with a visa but with an extension of stay for the reason of retirement, which is all you need for the continuation of stay in Thailand. A visa is for travel to Thailand, the permission to stay and extension of stay is for staying in Thailand.

Yes so it is basically good news (and in substance if not detail NOT too good to be true) for the OP in the sense that indeed you do not need to leave Thailand (ever) to retire in Thailand via Thailand immigration offices.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks Maestro and Jingthing

You responses clarify matters.

Based on my discussions with the Thai Embassy in Australia and previous posts in this forum, I was under the impression that an OA visa was a necessity for retirement in Thailand.

Edited by CeeBee

whistling.gif Yes, Jingthing has it correct.

There is one thing I know he understands however, but some others reading this topic may not understand.

First, as he says O-A visas are not given in Thailand but in your home country.

Secondly, and this is crucial, even O visas are given only if you meet the requirement for them.

That should be obvious, but I don't want somebody reading this to think, "Wow! I'd like to stay in Thailand. I'll try doing that!"

The two main reasons for being allowed to get a long term stay visa .... a non immigrant O visa ... are these:

1. Being married to a Thai.

2. Being over 50 years old and intending to live in Thailand as a retiree (retirement visa).

You can get that visa if you meet one those two conditions.

In other words some 30 year old single guy who just discovered Pattaya and likes Thai bargirls and therefore wants to stay in Pattaya for the easy sex doesn't qualify.

That should be obvious, you can go through the procedure as Jingthing explained.

But first you need to be qualified by being in one of those two groups.

(Didn;t you know the was a "catch" to it?)

whistling.gif

The OP's confusion is understandable, since everyone (including Immigration officials) say that anyone here on a 12-month extension of permission to stay due to retirment is said to be on a "retirement visa". Doesn't matter if the original visa was an O-A obtained out of Thailand or an O visa that can be obtained in Thailand -- the next result is the same and the stamps for 12-month extensions are identical for either visa.

The OP's confusion is understandable, since everyone (including Immigration officials) say that anyone here on a 12-month extension of permission to stay due to retirment is said to be on a "retirement visa". Doesn't matter if the original visa was an O-A obtained out of Thailand or an O visa that can be obtained in Thailand -- the next result is the same and the stamps for 12-month extensions are identical for either visa.

A visa is a permit to travel to a country, as a consequence it can not be given inside the country you want to travel to.

What people inside Thailand get is an extension of stay, not an extension of the visa.

Several key points:

1. Money for conversion of tourist or visa exempt entry to non immigrant 90 day entry does not need to be in bank account any set period of time - only when doing the actual extension of stay is that required. If using Embassy letter this will be required two times - once for conversion and once for extension.

2. There is no need for this first step if you obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to entry - most Consulates will issue this, especially honorary type Consulates, with proof of age and perhaps show of financials in home country.

3. To travel after obtaining extension of stay you require a re-entry permit to return and continue allowed stay. It acts as your visa for new entry once here.

Freds...

bet you feel like a punching bag now!

Obtaining a Non-0Immigrant "O" Long Term Retirement visa is easy, provided:

1) You are at least 50 years of age

2) Thai bank account opened for at least 7 days.

3) Proof of Income affadavit ($50USD) from your consulate in Bkk

4) 21 good days or MORE on your current stamp

5) Residency Letter from your hotel or condo. Ask the front desk, they will know

6) Copies of all taken to the Limits of Xerography!

7) Go to your bank, mention "Long Term visa" and they will produce a Bank Letter...200b for this

8) Mulitple passport-sized photographs

Head to Soi 5 Immigration in Jomtien or other Thai Immigration office.

You will need to present all, fill out apps and CONVERT your entry stamp to a Non-Immigrant O Visa. This is 1900b

At the SAME time, you can also apply for your Non-Immigrant O Long Term Retirement visa. This is also 1900b.

Hang in there, no freak outs, no meltdowns. Be cool, like the Fonz. If you think for one second that this is difficult, Kon Tai must fill out a 22 page

visa app at US Embassy.

You are out:

1500b and bus rides for Income Affadavit

200b Bank Letter

Xeroxes and taxis rides, photo graphs

1900b for converting your arrival stamp

1900b for converting to LT Retirement

Now you have your stamp, what u do? You need a RE-Entry stamp.

Go home and rest. Come back the next day, if you can...

Need some verification here: if you opt for a M/E (multiple entry stamp) and obtain your Re-Entry stamp the day you receive LT visa or the very next day,

Immigration will convert ALL to a 15 month stay.

I got two of these, so I know it works. Uncertain as to the veracity thereof.....

Or...you can opt for a SINGLE Re-Entry stamp which costs 1k baht.

Whatever the case may be---if you depart the Kingdom WITHOUT a re-entry stamp, you just hosed yourself and your current visa.

Do not do this. Visit any Thai Immigration Office prior to departure if you are uncertain.

Plus, once you obtain your LT visa, make a smartphone and calendar not for 85 days down teh line....you must return to Thai Immigration with your

xerooxed Residency Letter. Yes, this is the 90-day reporting requirement. Do not wait until Day 90.

Hang in there....

Your buddy who stated an O-A if procurable within Muang Tai is misleading you.....

best...

Believe above information may be dated and/or incorrect:

There is no requirement for bank account if using 65k income letter from Embassy.

There is no requirement for a bank account to be 7 days old (at least not most places) - suspect this was a pre 2 month in account rule?

There is no requirement for 21 days remaining - 15 days and even less is routinely allowed.

There is no bank letter required if using income method. Cost of bank letter varies by bank.

Visa entry step uses a TM86 or TM87 and costs 2,000 baht.

There is no retirement visa - it is extension of stay for retirement and do not believe it can be done in one visit anymore - return at later date with same proof (and proof of money in bank 2 months if using that method).

90 day reporting has a window of 15 days prior to 7 days after the 90 day mark for in-person reporting.

A visa is a permit to travel to a country, as a consequence it can not be given inside the country you want to travel to.

What people inside Thailand get is an extension of stay, not an extension of the visa.

Sorry Mario, must disagree with you (again) -- global moderator or not, you are wrong (again).

While it used to be true (and is true for visiting most countries), the exception here in Thailand is now

the single entry 90-day Non-Immig. "O" Visa, which IS obtainable IN the country at Thai Immigration Bureau,

using Application Forms TM86 (for conversion from Tourist Visa), or TM87 (for conversion from 30-day visa-exempt stamp).

As for the requirements, the preceding Posters have correctly set forth; as they have for thereafter obtaining the 1-year Extension

of Stay, within the final month of obtaining your Non-Immig. "O" Visa. Although, I must once again add the caveat/caution, for

new applicants, that if you are intending to use the Income Affidavit method (versus Money-in-Thai Bank method), CM Immig.

is likely to request supporting documentation esp. with the US Income Affidavit, of your "Pension" Income.

Edited by Mrjustice

Sorry Mario, must disagree with you (again) -- global moderator or not, you are wrong (again).

While it used to be true (and is true for visiting most countries), the exception here in Thailand is now

the single entry 90-day Non-Immig. "O" Visa, which IS obtainable IN the country at Thai Immigration Bureau,

using Application Forms TM86 (for conversion from Tourist Visa), or TM87 (for conversion from 30-day visa-exempt stamp).

As for the requirements, the preceding Posters have correctly set forth; as they have for thereafter obtaining the 1-year Extension

of Stay, within the final month of obtaining your Non-Immig. "O" Visa. Although, I must once again add the caveat/caution, for

new applicants, that if you are intending to use the Income Affidavit method (versus Money-in-Thai Bank method), CM Immig.

is likely to request supporting documentation esp. with the US Income Affidavit, of your "Pension" Income.

In Thailand itself you apply for a conversion to a non-immigration visa, there is a difference.

You have it wrong Mrjustice.

You are issued a non immigrant visa and at the same also given a 90 day permit to stay which is not a visa. You then extend that 90 day permit to stay for one year.

Edited by ubonjoe