Extending Non-Imm B Visa With Work Permit

I am a US citizen in Thailand on a 90-day, single-entry Non-Immigrant B visa that I obtained in Singapore. I received my work permit a few weeks ago.

I assumed that after obtaining a work permit, my employer would be able to help me easily extend my visa from 90-day single-entry to 1-year multiple-entry. But they are telling me that they cannot begin that extension process until a month before my current visa expires (December 10) and that the process takes a month. In other words, they're telling me that despite the fact that I am working legally here with a 1-year work permit, they cannot get a 1-year multiple-entry visa for me until my current visa expires.

My question is: Is this true? Is it really not possible to obtain an extension of a B visa until the one that was used to enter the country originally expires?

I need to travel outside of Thailand and I understand the process for obtaining a single-entry extension of my permit to stay for 1,000 baht, but it would make things much easier/cheaper if I can simply get my visa extended and changed to multi-entry now rather than later.

Thanks for your help.

Extensions are normally only available during the last 30 days of a 90 day entry. And if a new company they would not have paperwork available to extend as a years or tax records would be required so you might want to be sure extension will be in the cards - if not the next best option is a new multi entry non immigrant B visa obtained from a Consulate with company paperwork/work permit. You can not obtain a multi entry extension of stay so will always require re-entry permit for travel if using immigration extensions.

They are correct, apply in the last 30 days of you current permission to stay.

The process will take 30 days because the decision must be made by a committee in Bangkok.

During the 30 days you will receive a "under consideration" stamp.

Extension of Thai Business Visa

The Thai "B" or Business Visa can be extended to a one year visa in country as follows.

The extension of the visa is normally based on employment and as such there are certain regulations governing the company who is employing you.

These are the regulations for the extension of the "B" Business Visa:

1. The business must be registered in Thailand.

2. The company must be capitalized to at least Baht 2 Million while operating fund must be at least Baht 1 Million.

3. The company must have a ration of at least 4 : 1 - Four Thais for every foreigner.

4. You must earn at least in accordance with the level specified for each nationality by the Labour Department.

Duration of the Extension

- One year at a time.

Documents required for the extension:

1. Application form (T.M. 7 )

2. Passport or document used in lien of passport and its copies .

3. The applicants 4 x 6 cm. photograph .

4. Extension fee Baht 1,900.-

5. The company letters certifying as follows ;

- Nature of business

- Reason or necessity in employing the applicant his / her position, salary and education background.

- Number of Thai and foreign employees.

6. Copies of work permit or receipt of work permit application.

7. Company's annual balance sheets.

8. The juristic persons Annual Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.50) of the latest year and its receipt of payment.

9. Thai employees Monthly Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.1 ) of the latest month and its receipt of payment.

10. The applicants Annual Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.91) of the latest year and its receipt of payment.

11. The official letter that certify the registration of such juristic person.

12. Business Registration or Business License.

13. Value Added Tax Registration and list of share holders.

14. A map that indicate location of the Company.

15. For those who operate export business, the documentary evidence clarifying its export activities is needed.

16. For those who operate tourism business, the documentary evidence clarifying its total number of tourist that brought in by the company is needed.

Some Immigrations offices.

17. Picture of all the company's employees at work

18. Picture of all company's employees in front of the office with clear name of the company showing

N.B. In case of necessity , documents No.7 , 8 , 9 , and 10 can be substituted by the company letters stating its reason.

Edited by PoorSucker

Thank you. And if I am traveling to Singapore in November, can I obtain a multiple-entry one-year visa there instead of waiting to do the process in Thailand if I can show my work permit along with all of the other required forms? It looks here like that should be possible, but I wanted to confirm whether other people have had success with it.

My company is not new to Thailand.

Edited by ada123

Thank you. And if I am traveling to Singapore in November, can I obtain a multiple-entry one-year visa there instead of waiting to do the process in Thailand if I can show my work permit along with all of the other required forms? It looks here like that should be possible, but I wanted to confirm whether other people have had success with it.

No, Singapore will only issue a single entry non-B.

I work for a private school, brand new, opened for students earlier this year. I am on the first 90 days of my Non B with work permit. 90 days expires November 25, 2012, current contract ends March 31, 2013.

I am going to Sakhon Nakhon Immigration this week for my extension of visa,( with work permit) which should be until March 31, 2013, to my knowledge. I was there to buy a re-entry permit earlier this month and asked them If I could come ie: November 1st for my extension and they said sure.

To my knowledge the extension will ge granted immediately while I am in their offices and my extension of stay will be to March 31, 2013.

I work for a private school, brand new, opened for students earlier this year. I am on the first 90 days of my Non B with work permit. 90 days expires November 25, 2012, current contract ends March 31, 2013.

I am going to Sakhon Nakhon Immigration this week for my extension of visa,( with work permit) which should be until March 31, 2013, to my knowledge. I was there to buy a re-entry permit earlier this month and asked them If I could come ie: November 1st for my extension and they said sure.

To my knowledge the extension will ge granted immediately while I am in their offices and my extension of stay will be to March 31, 2013.

With this type of extension you submit two sets of paperwork which will, if the paperwork is ok, initially get a one month conditional approval.

The Extension will then require ratification by Regional Head Office and you will then need to go back a month later for confirmation of the one year extension.

KL will issue a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant Category 'B' Visa with the correct paperwork - see link http://www.mfa.go.th...siness-and.html

Singapore will normally only issue 90 day non 'B's to non residents.

Do try getting an Extension at your Local Immigration Dept first - it's a much cheaper option; yes you will have to wait untill less a month before you apply, but you will get a conditional approval there and then if your paperwork is ok.

You then go back 30 days after your permitted to stay date to get the balance of the One Year Extension once it's been ratified/approved by Head Office

Some consulates make up new rules from time to time. I recently checked out the KL consulate website and they require a PP with at least 18 months validity. If you already have a WP and need to get a new non-imm B visa, it must have at least 7 months validity for them to issue a new 1 year non-imm B visa.

"they're telling me that despite the fact that I am working legally here with a 1-year work permit, they cannot get a 1-year multiple-entry visa for me until my current visa expires."

2 different stories!

You won't get a multiple entry one year, in case they wanna and can extend it!

You want a 1 year multiple, with visa runs every 90 days: Go to KL, now, with a set of all papers, like mentioned

Your company wanna extend your stay: Wait for the 'last 30 days' period, and let them do it. You don't need to do visa runs, after., Instead you need to think on re-entry permits, in case you wanna leave Thailand for other reasons.

Get a multiple re-entry, works for the one year like a multiple entry, too

Edited by noob7

If you need to make a trip out of the country before you get your extension of stay (not a visa) you will need to get a single re-entry permit. After getting the extension you can get a multiple re-entry permit that will be valid for same amount of time as your extension.

I don't think you really want a multiple entry visa that requires you to leave the country every 90 days.

Some consulates make up new rules from time to time. I recently checked out the KL consulate website and they require a PP with at least 18 months validity. If you already have a WP and need to get a new non-imm B visa, it must have at least 7 months validity for them to issue a new 1 year non-imm B visa.

There is nothing new or Consulate specific about that requirement - it is and has been MFA requirement for issue of a multi entry visa at any Consulate.

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Noted. Have been going to KL for years but I guess I never noticed it as my PP was always years away from expiring. Now it's not. 7 month validity on WP to get a new non-imm B multi wasn't on the website a few years back and I got stung (only 3 month and had to go back). Now it is.

With this type of extension you submit two sets of paperwork which will, if the paperwork is ok, initially get a one month conditional approval.

The Extension will then require ratification by Regional Head Office and you will then need to go back a month later for confirmation of the one year extension.

In 13 years of teaching, having used 4 different Immigration offices, I have never been asked to return 30 days later. All extensions have been issued immediately.

In 13 years of teaching, having used 4 different Immigration offices, I have never been asked to return 30 days later. All extensions have been issued immediately.

Visa Extension Rules/Criteriae for Teachers are very different (Teaching uses National Police Order 777/2551 Cases 2.6, 2.7 vs. 2.1 for Business/Work) .

Assumed that the OP would be applying for a Case 2.1 Extension.

Edited by digitalchromakey

I was referring to your reply here. The poster clearly states he is a teacher.

I was referring to your reply here. The poster clearly states he is a teacher.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the OP (who never mentions being a teacher plus posts about working for a company) would get a conditional approval if applying under Case 2.1 ('this type of extension'); it is Colabamumbai and yourself who both work as teachers and are thus subject to different extension/visa criteriae.

Pedantic indeed. Why quote one poster when referring to another? Your post was clearly misleading.

Pedantic indeed. Why quote one poster when referring to another? Your post was clearly misleading.

Because the poster (who works as a teacher like you) implied that the OP would only need one visit to immigration which will not be the the case if applying under 777/2551 Case 2.1 - sorry if you were confused.

Because the poster (who works as a teacher like you) implied that the OP would only need one visit to immigration which will not be the the case if applying under 777/2551 Case 2.1 - sorry if you were confused.

Not confused at all.

You quoted a teacher and said " with this type of extension:................". Clearly you should have said "with the OP's type of extension.........."

I'm sure that is what you meant to say.