General Farming Questions

Hello to all;Folks are happiest among their kind... your my kind. I've been involved with ag my whole life,livestock,forestry,large scale vegi/herb& aquaculture. I'm looking for some info..

Whats the seasons like?

Whats grown/raised, and where?(regions)

What kind of ag /aq opportunities are around?

Are there more than this site... expats and ag?

Are y-all farming with Thai's,how's that working out?

Whats public transportation like in the areas your in?

Whats the best way to learn Thai(enough to get me around)?

&

your experiences... good or bad

I have alot of research to do before I come over,hopefully April or May(i know it isn't the best time ,but I like to see things at their worst),and sort of roam around for a few months,eyeballin and sniffin the ground.

I'd be obliged for your help/advice ALAN

Each one of your questions requires a book to answer. Thailand is a big country and the differences in soil and climate from the North, over to the Northeast, through central Thailand and down to the South are enormous. It's hot. A lot of discussion about farming in Thailand to be found in this thread, not all of it positive. I for one would go for serious farming in Thailand only if I 1:had a lot of money, and was ready to lose it. 2. Could speak Thai.

You are legally not supposed to work in agriculture.

Cooked is right, and what a tome it would be. In fact there have been books written in English (available in pdf) on the subject if now a little outdated. One fact that is often overlooked is the number of small farms in Thailand (less than 2 hectares). Asia generally has 87% of global small farms and Thailand having more than its fair share of those.

Whatever you use research wise, make sure it is current as the nature of the society and agriculture is changing very quickly. 2015 will put more cost pressure on farmers here already under rapidly increasing external and wage costs with ag products slow to increase in price. Labour shortage will get worse.

As above but they have several region languages and dialects in Chiang Mai province alone. Here in my part of Surin province, we have Khmer spoken in my village, Lao spoken 30 Km away, Suway two villages away and Thai (Isan Thai) as a general catch all. Serious learning advice is, learn to write as well as speak. I find reading and writing invaluable because I do not pick up the tones easily.

Also throw your Western mindset away sometimes or you will end up going bonkers

Hello and thanks for replying; I guess maybe I got off on the wrong foot... Sorry. I know I asked alot in my post.probley could get all the answers reading through the forum.... trouble is I don't have internet out in the boonies where I live,and have to drive to town(no small feat) and use the libraries. I get an hour per session. I try not to waste trips to town(i go twice weekly) so i have limited time for research.As far as any western mentality notions..... I don't have any. i know about the foriegn ownership issues,don't really care, I'm done owning land. Look.... this is what I'd like to do in a nutshell..... Tour some of the agricultural areas, if one fancies me,I'd rent a dwelling( nothin fancy), and volunteer my help to any farmer who can use it. I don't want wages,board or fodder. Free no strings attached. I have ample funds to allow me to do this,with no need to augment. What am I getting out of this? Meeting new people, seeing new places, learning new farming techniques,sharing what i've learned over a lifestime..I have no one to pass it on to(what a waste). Seems to me everyone benefits. Now, I could use some advice.... anyone who cares to help I'd be obliged. If not ,maybe I'm fishin in the wrong hole and need to look elsewhere. It's a big world out there, and what I said I was aimin to do,I'll do, and wherever I end up,folks will be damned glad I did. If anyone cares to write me direct

<Email address removed as per forum rules. If you want to contact the OP plus send him a PM>

Edited by endure
Email address removed

Mate, I wish you all the best with your endeavours.

What country do you come from?

Your quest will be near on impossible without a Thai partner and/or speaking Thai or the local lingo.

Lastly ... good luck trying to teach the Thai's Farming techniques.

There is a Cultural divide there that you are yet to discover.

Some may disagree with my comments ... just my opinion.

• Like 2

Hello and thanks for replying; I guess maybe I got off on the wrong foot... Sorry. I know I asked alot in my post.probley could get all the answers reading through the forum.... trouble is I don't have internet out in the boonies where I live,and have to drive to town(no small feat) and use the libraries. I get an hour per session. I try not to waste trips to town(i go twice weekly) so i have limited time for research.As far as any western mentality notions..... I don't have any. i know about the foriegn ownership issues,don't really care, I'm done owning land. Look.... this is what I'd like to do in a nutshell..... Tour some of the agricultural areas, if one fancies me,I'd rent a dwelling( nothin fancy), and volunteer my help to any farmer who can use it. I don't want wages,board or fodder. Free no strings attached. I have ample funds to allow me to do this,with no need to augment. What am I getting out of this? Meeting new people, seeing new places, learning new farming techniques,sharing what i've learned over a lifestime..I have no one to pass it on to(what a waste). Seems to me everyone benefits. Now, I could use some advice.... anyone who cares to help I'd be obliged. If not ,maybe I'm fishin in the wrong hole and need to look elsewhere. It's a big world out there, and what I said I was aimin to do,I'll do, and wherever I end up,folks will be damned glad I did. If anyone cares to write me direct

<Email address removed as per forum rules. If you want to contact the OP plus send him a PM>

I am surprised that no one has taken you up on that offer. I for one would welcome the help and benefit from the years of experience you have for as long as you like.

• Like 1

Seems to me that actions will speak louder than words in your case. You have ample funds to come here and travel around which you can do quite cheaply anyway. It is one way to immerse yourself in the country and as you move around you can hook up to this forum by using one of the multitude of very cheap internet cafes at 30c an hour and maybe find yourself on a rubber plantation, a pig farm, a rice paddy, an orchard, or a fish pond or ad infinitum. Your biggest learning curve at first will be language and that will be an impediment to your efforts to get straight in with the locals. Public transport is quite good up to a point, but it may not get you down into the weeds of all those small plots Isaan Aussie is talking about unless you have some Thai language skill.

I am sure there would be Thais that would happily lie in a hammock in the shade whilst you show them how to do something. Because without language you will be unable to tell them, you will have to demo. Yes there are different climates here but unless you currently live in the tropics you will have to get used to heat and working in it, it is predominantly hot.

Seems to me that actions will speak louder than words in your case... get you down into the weeds of all those small plots Isaan Aussie is talking about ... you will have to get used to heat and working in it, it is predominantly hot.

Got heaps of weeds and a brushcutter, even got a couple of brimmed hats. Any takers? Just gagging..

Hello to all; Boy, looking at my post....sure makes me look green. I'm just a simple soul,trying to keep things uncomplicated. I live in south central Missouri. Had a ranch(160 ac, beef cattle,pigs,layin hens, hay and vegi/herbs) Sold out...lock stock and barrel, about a year ago(and have been bored to death).I volunteer at the elementary school(also did it while ranching) and help out on different farms(folks can always use a hand). and it gives me a reason to get up outof bed. I know the scenerio i laid out comes across cockeyed.... but seemed to me the best way to get aquainted with the people and places...and likewise for folks to get to know me. I know there's people that would take advantage(i was born at night...but it wasn't last night) thats their problem and someday they'll be held accountable. I guess I'm just looking for somewhere to belong,to be of use,to be wanted. To be missed when I pass. I have nothing here,no family, I've done all I set out to do,and like yourselves hear a distant call. I don't want to just roam around over there, I need purpose. Well you have a pretty good notion me and what I'd like to do... Thanks Alan

Farming in Thailand is a nice hobby provided that you can afford the hobby. Some guys eke out a living but they sure aren't getting rich. The ones who do eke out a living are very diversified. My Thai wife actively farms and I can tell you for a fact that no way would I work that hard for so little return.

• Like 1

Hello All; I guess farming is a labor of love...why else would anyone in their right mind want to engage in it.I know thats why i spent my life ranching, and why I'll be involved til they shovel dirt over me. Be thankful that there are farmers...every time you chew.

Dont become disillusioned about we farang farmers in Thailand or the opportunities farming presents here. Not all westerns here are actively farming but are involved in managing and financing farming. Some are employed in other occupations off farm to finance their futures as farmers. Some of us are the same as you describe yourself, happy to have dirt under the fingernails and a shovel in your hands.

Just watch out for the "farmer" that is still trying to discover which is the clean end before he picks up each turd.

I guess you'll need some time before you can make a decision. When I finish building here I think I will go for as much diversity as possible and as organically as I can (labour intensive). I am looking at pepper (prig thai), cashews and peanuts at the moment for instance and will try to persuade the BIL to reduce his rice acreage.

What I mean is, everybody comes up with a different scheme of things, maybe you want livestock - you'll see.

I repeat however a previous remark -most of us have GFs or wives that already own land. Legally you can buy land but you cannot work in agriculture or as a labourer.

To me diversifying is fine, but I have to draw an imaginary line between it and hobbies. I use the example of our fish pond. The wife tells me we can make good extra money by stocking our pond, feeding them up and then selling around the traps. We go ahead and buy thousands of fingerlings and of course they start to grow and we buy food and feed them every day. Then, its not so much that she loses interest, but more that she always has a lot on her plate, its increasingly left to me and I (still with my own original responsibilities) start to find myself feeding fish in the dark and the extended family is all showered and fed by the time I get home. And then we sell a few a few times but nowhere near enough to recoup costs. Then BiL3 and his bro steal half of it in the middle of the night. I am advised to, and am happy to stay out of it. I think if I had a shovel on about the 10th hit he might go down. At the moment he is skulking somewhere in the village too scared to come home. The extended family will happily take a day off to go fishing in the pond at the end of which they all get a feed and we might get something, but only willing to help in a meaningful way if I chivvy them to it. The wife of course has no idea in total how much money has gone into it, if I tell her she gets excited about doing something about it until some other crisis takes over, usually about half an hour. Anyway, blah, blah the bottom line is that unless someone who knows what they are doing takes an active time consuming role in producing and selling then its just a money pit. I have other bad examples. But I will happily diversify into a few rai of mahn or corn because that can easily be managed and gets a reasonable return, anything that requires more effort, time or scrutiny I am happy to pass by at the moment.

All I'm doing now is keeping them alive until the lamyai gets harvested in a month, then I'm going to spend a few days lounging up there with an esky, pulling a line and that'll be the extent of my return. Sorry to hijack your post OP, good luck with finding a niche somewhere

• Like 1

Hey Bluetongue can I have a lend of your shovel? Mate you nailed it. Thais around here dont like some four letter words and hate WORK, fun is OK but as soon as it becomes mundane chores then pull the plug.

My BIL seems to think that his life is one continuous holiday and someone will foot the bills. Seems like you have the same issue. I dont think you moved off topic at all, the OP would be very well advised to listen to warnings of this nature.

issanaussie..............where are you? I am in Loei with a small chicken farm. Ex Brisbane guy who needs a shitload of help. Raising chickens that is. Oh, and fish as well.

issanaussie..............where are you? I am in Loei with a small chicken farm. Ex Brisbane guy who needs a shitload of help. Raising chickens that is. Oh, and fish as well.

Sisaket

Edited by IsaanAussie

would that be a taxi number by any chance? me ex BrisAngeles too but I'm way south of you, I guess chickens are another one, we have a number running round, they're not mine but every now and then a bloke comes around and buys a bagful, if you wanted to make more serious (support a farang living here) money out of them then you need advice. About a year or two ago we had a larger number until (coincidentally) said BiL3 brought a dead one home from somewhere else to eat, said it was road kill. Two weeks later every chicken here was dead. Where's that shovel?

Not all westerns here are actively farming but are involved in managing and financing farming.

IA ... not quoted as intended ... but you have missed your life's calling.

You should be a diplomat with that line ... biggrin.png

... mostly financing!

Not all westerns here are actively farming but are involved in managing and financing farming.

IA ... not quoted as intended ... but you have missed your life's calling.

You should be a diplomat with that line ... biggrin.png

Used to be as a matter of fact. Not all it is cracked up to be believe me. Much rather call a spade a spade, sorry, in this case a shovel. Used to say "With all due respect.." now more likely to say "Pull the other one"

Howdy to all; I 'm getting a pretty good bead on things from reading your banter... keep it comin.i was born at night ..but it wasn't last night.I know a scammer when I see one ,and ain't worried about gettin slickered by some Thai.. and I'm pretty much past tradin chores for pussy. Tell me, are you guys scattered all over Thailand,or centralized. Do y-all ever get together for ag events or farming festivals? Keep talkin fellas..I'm takin it all in.

• 2 weeks later...

Some non farming but important advice:

1. Don't fall in love at the airport.

2. Don't think #1 can't happen to you. You will be dealing with a whole

different type of woman here and most Western men have no defense

against their charm and guile. Trust me, I know about this one, The good

women are hard to meet but more than worth the effort.

Enough on that subject.

Start learning about visas. Google Thai Consulate, Chicago if you're still in Missouri

Open a Thai bank account. I use Bangkok Bank. You can do that through Bangkok Bank, New York Branch. I believe that will work the same way as an account opened in Thailand and you won't have to pay B150 for every ATM withdrawl. You can also transfer money to BK Bank easier that way. Google that one to, I can't seem to post links here.

Keep asking questions.