Thai Prostitution Network Dismantled In Switzerland: Police

webfact

Thai prostitution network dismantled in Switzerland: police

GENEVA, Nov 1, 2012 (AFP) - Swiss police said Wednesday they had dismantled a network that imported Thai women and men and forced them to work as prostitutes in several Swiss cities.

Police in the canton of Bern said in a statement they had opened their probe last year when a woman of Thai origin told investigators "she had been held against her will in a Bern establishment and forced to prostitute herself."

Police soon discovered that the network stretched across several Swiss cantons.

The main suspect, a 42-year-old Thai woman with a Swiss residence permit, was arrested during the second half of last year in Germany and had been extradited to Switzerland, Bern police said.

The woman, whose name was not given, appeared to have been actively running the network since the end of 2008 and herself operated a brothel where both women and men of Thai origin living in Switzerland illegally worked as prostitutes.

When she was arrested, she was carrying documents including identity papers belonging to the victims, police said.

Most of the victims came from poverty in Thailand and had known they would be working as prostitutes in Switzerland, police said, but because of the massive fees the network charged to get them to the country and for being allowed to work in its brothels they basically became sex slaves.

Each prostitute had to earn at least 60,000 Swiss francs (50,000 euros, $64,465) and in some cases as much as 90,000 Swiss francs (75,000 euros,$96,000), before being able to pay down their debt and actually pocket some of the money they made themselves.

In some cases they had to sign loan contracts offering any real estate holdings they had in Thailand as security, police said.

Most of the victims had returned to Thailand and did not want to press charges or take part in the legal process, they added.

The main suspect has been accused of victimising 26 people in the canton of Thurgau and 31 others in the cantons of Bern, Solothurn, Lucerne, Basel-Stadt and Zurich.

Six other suspects, a Swiss and a Thai man and four Thai women, are in custody.

Prostitution has been legal in Switzerland since 1992, as long as the sex workers are in the trade in own free will.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-11-01

So if all goes to plan, then they are prostitutes, but if the job doesn’t work out, than they are sex slaves and fully expect the cavalry to charge in and rescue them.

Do these people really believe that the sex industry is run by nice guys, who practice good working ethics and are there like a charity for the benefit of those who hope to make easy money by literally lying on their backs or for being used as human receptacles?

The reality is, that much of the sex industry is run and owned by criminal gangs. Those recruited by them are used purely to make these gangs money and are seen only as products to be used and abused, not as individual workers with rights.

Some get lucky, most do not, it`s up to their own risk and discretion. For example, if people decide to walk a tightrope without a safety net and fall off, that’s their problem and shouldn’t expect anyone to catch them on the way down.

• Like 2

The prostitution of thai women in switzerland has been going on for years , a friend of mines girlfriend disappeared 1 day about 10 years ago. he found her in switzerland working in a night club/restaurant with extra services. Her family knew what she was doing, she went to earn money for them. The customers bought bottles of champaigne, to pay for the extra services and hide the cash transaction.im sure theres more than one gang doing this and it will still be happening as visa requirements to get a thai into switzerland are easier than many other countries.

This is human traffiking and must be stopped.

• Like 2

I am left wondering if some of the Russian women that you see working in Pattaya, with their male Russian escourts standing behind them are in the same but reverse situation, brought to Thailand and forced to work as prostitutes?

There was a national geographic documentary following under cover investigation into the traffiking of kazak women to bangkok & pattaya. On tv only a few weeks ago. it is on youtube, search for '21st centuary sex slaves'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVe3AxTldgs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yes they are tricked to come here and told theyll get jobs, but are made to be sex slaves when they get here. It tells of massive corruption in high places. What a surprise! How else can there be a go go bar on walking street with european dancers in the window for everyone to see? how did they get a work permit?

Edited by mushepea

I heard from a working girl in Pattaya that not to long ago a Korean man was recruiting sex workers from Pattaya to go to Switzerland..Many signed up for it and are now gone...I guess he has the connections to get the Visas..Big Promises of Big Money..Airfare--Visas provided and there no longer here so I guess it is true....A Korean No Less~~~

I heard from a working girl in Pattaya that not to long ago a Korean man was recruiting sex workers from Pattaya to go to Switzerland..Many signed up for it and are now gone...I guess he has the connections to get the Visas..Big Promises of Big Money..Airfare--Visas provided and there no longer here so I guess it is true....A Korean No Less~~~

Korea has one of the biggest sex for sale industries in the world; makes Thailand look like a bit player!

Quote: "Korea has one of the biggest sex for sale industries in the world; makes Thailand look like a bit player! "

Agreed but most are Thai women! The same goes for them found in Singapore, Dubai, Australia......etc even in Mumbai, you can find Thai prostitutes......talk about globalising a thai brand! Lol!

These criminal gangs work as networks that stretch worldwide. They have agents of all nationalities based in every country and specifically favour and target Thai women for their subservient nature and eagerness to work in the sex industries. There is not a country in the world that does not have brothels exclusively run and staffed by Thai sex workers.

Some years ago the then prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, had concerns about the sorts of image Thailand was displaying to the rest of the world and had a plan to clean up the sex industry in Thailand. But I believe that these days the Thai authorities should be more concerned about the image that Thais living and working abroad are portraying on the Thai people, especially the women.

I’m not sure whether this is a cultural thing or something the Japanese started in the second world war and an industry that the Americans fuelled and encouraged during the Vietnam war? The solution is providing better education in the schools regarding sex and prostitution and more Government assistance made available to young people seeking careers and safe ways for making a living.

So if all goes to plan, then they are prostitutes, but if the job doesn’t work out, than they are sex slaves and fully expect the cavalry to charge in and rescue them.

Do these people really believe that the sex industry is run by nice guys, who practice good working ethics and are there like a charity for the benefit of those who hope to make easy money by literally lying on their backs or for being used as human receptacles?

The reality is, that much of the sex industry is run and owned by criminal gangs. Those recruited by them are used purely to make these gangs money and are seen only as products to be used and abused, not as individual workers with rights.

Some get lucky, most do not, it`s up to their own risk and discretion. For example, if people decide to walk a tightrope without a safety net and fall off, that’s their problem and shouldn’t expect anyone to catch them on the way down.

My understaning of the recruitment of these girls is that it is done by women who persuade them that they will do the same as other girls, will be treated nicely, and make good money to support their families. Women go to poor villages to recruit...

And then the story changes... The girls are told that there were lots of expenditures, and that it must be recovered. Or worse, if taken to another country, pasports are taken and they are told they will get it back whne all the expenses are reimbursed And it is just impossible to do so..

In any event, many are just naive rural girls whohave reasons to believe....

So I think that the answer is yes, many girls are led to think that this business is run by nice people.....

Quote: "Korea has one of the biggest sex for sale industries in the world; makes Thailand look like a bit player! "

Agreed but most are Thai women! The same goes for them found in Singapore, Dubai, Australia......etc even in Mumbai, you can find Thai prostitutes......talk about globalising a thai brand! Lol!

No for Dubai. There are many more Chinese, East European and African prostitutes than Thai. Chinese and Russian mafias very strong in UAE.

'Young very attractive Thai girl, gives sensuous massage' can be found in the ads section of USA papers and in Europe. I know one lady who worked in Yokohama for quite a few years. She certainly wasn't forced and became quite wealthy.

Edited by uptheos

The woman, whose name was not given, appeared to have been actively running the network since the end of 2008 and herself operated a brothel where both women and men of Thai origin living in Switzerland illegally worked as prostitutes.

If this was in Thailand, they would have posted the name and address of the suspect, maybe even give a description of their house and the kind of car they drive.

Yeah, and when I wanted my now wife (an attractive but not bar girly person) to visit me in Switzerland before we moved back to Thailand the visa application was refused, I had to appeal the decision. The guys from tourist agencies at the embassy with thick folders of applications for tourist visas got in and out pretty quick, we waited a long time and got refused.

She knows of prostitutes from her area that got a visa with no problem, money in the right place I guess.

You have to accept it.

If you talk about Thai ladies in Switzerland you tend to get a knowing leer. I met two Thai ladies there and with hindsight realise that they were prozzies.. luckily something stopped me going into relationships with them.

The main point of the article is not the sex, and the way they are scammed, but the fact they cannot take legal action against this trafficking for fear of retribution against themselves and/or families here. That is the part needing investigation and take down the <deleted> who are responsible for the recruiting back home as well as charging the enforcers.

Is it common for Thai/Laos girls to go to Singapore ?

Yes, but I saw many Chinese in Gaylang Red Light District, they seem to be the number 1 choice there-white skin?

Edited by ALFREDO

Information in this article is partially wrong. Prostitution in Switzerland has always been legal, not only since 1992. Illegal is the enforcement of people to work in prostitution, as in the case shown here. Many Thai women in Switzerland work as prostitutes on their own decision, and some of them bring friends or family members and force them in the same business, which is clearly illegal. As far as I know, prostitution is also illegal in Thailand... but law enforcement in Thailand or in Switzerland are 2 quite different things...

I’m not sure whether this is a cultural thing or something the Japanese started in the second world war and an industry that the Americans fuelled and encouraged during the Vietnam war?

It is a cultural thing and was here long before the Japanese or Americans.

I am left wondering if some of the Russian women that you see working in Pattaya, with their male Russian escourts standing behind them are in the same but reverse situation, brought to Thailand and forced to work as prostitutes?

With Thai men as their customer

Well, at least we know now that a Thai massage in Switzerland can be a little bit more expensive than cheese.--w00t.gif

It's the holes that you pay for.

swisscheeseb.jpg

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The English-language press has not reported it yet but a German-language Swiss daily mentioned today that the 45-year-old Thai man who was running the brothel has been sentenced to 3.5 years in prison. The ringleader, a 42-year-old Thai woman, is scheduled to appear in court in spring 2013.

Google translation (enhanced):

19 November 2012 11:01

Thai-pimp from Bern goes to prison

In Berne, a 45 year old Thai man has been sentenced for trafficking. He had women and transvestites flown in from his home country to prostitute themselves for his profit.

A 45-year-old Thai man has been sentenced in Bern on Monday to an unconditional prison sentence of three and a half years. The Regional Court of Bern-Mittelland found him guilty of human trafficking.

Source, in German language: http://www.20min.ch/...engnis-17118101

... There is not a country in the world that does not have brothels exclusively run and staffed by Thai sex workers....

Really? Didn't find any in Honduras. Or Vietnam. And we did try!

I have been everywhere in the oil and gas business and if any country has a monopoly on sending their young and uneducated women overseas for prostitution, it is the mainland Chinese.

Edited by NanLaew