Nice To See Bib Doing A Good Job

CharlieH

Had to go down to Bangkok for a few days and what a pleasant surprise to see the BIB stood on Taxi stand (MBK) by the big department stores and every time a driver refused to pick up the waiting passengers because they didnt want the journey, they were immediately pulled in and a ticket issued on the spot.

Thumbs Up to BIB...good job !

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

In the UK cabbies do that all the time, my pal is one. He says, queue for an hour for a job to find your fare wants to go a hundred yards.

Here they seem to prefer the short ones, probably a function of bad traffic. And of course they don't usually queue.

What's the law with Bangkok Taxis?

What are the circumstances where they can refuse a fare, i.e. over a certain distance etc.

In theory (only) not allowed.

May sometimes be dangerous to talk about it, but there is a number you can call to report them.

I'm sure if they have to return the vehicle to the depot shortly and you're heading a long way in the opposite direction, but doubt if things are spelled out in that level of detail since there's 99% of the time little enforcement.

It's quite possible the group that runs that particular queue just got behind on their donations recently. . .

In the UK cabbies do that all the time, my pal is one. laugh.png He says, queue for an hour for a job to find your fare wants to go a hundred yards. sad.png

Other way around.

Its the short jobs they want in busy traffic, If the meter starts at 35 baht and they go 2 minutes and then do that again the've earned 70 baht very quickly. If they have a distance to go and get stuck in traffic they can run to 100 baht but it takes them 45 minutes to do it, in which time it possible to do many 35 baht minimum runs.

The UK you spoke of (I drove there for 5 years) yes, you can wait your turn for an hour and get a small job, that applies to licenced mini-cabs, not Hackney's who can wander and pick-up what they want, unless they have tied to an office too, its the luck of the draw, but that's all part of the job.

That sucks. Im no fan of taxi drivers but it is their right. Its one thing if they are in a queue, quite another if the fare is standing in tbe street.

What if the driver is really far away from home and the ride will simply pit him farther? Many taxis are drivrn in 12hr shifts by 2 persons. <deleted>.

What if he doesnt eant to drive to freaking Sai Tai Mai on Friday @ 4pm?

Edited by bangkokburning

That sucks. Im no fan of taxi drivers but it is their right. Its one thing if they are in a queue, quite another if the fare is standing in tbe street.

What if the driver is really far away from home and the ride will simply pit him farther? Many taxis are drivrn in 12hr shifts by 2 persons. <deleted>.

In every developed country I've lived in it's 100% illegal to refuse to take any fare wherever they want to go within the regulated area, at risk of losing the right to hack.

It goes with the job, just like at most sex industry venues the girl doesn't have the option to cherry-pick her customers.

Just sayin'

In the UK cabbies do that all the time, my pal is one. laugh.png He says, queue for an hour for a job to find your fare wants to go a hundred yards. sad.png

Other way around.

Its the short jobs they want in busy traffic, If the meter starts at 35 baht and they go 2 minutes and then do that again the've earned 70 baht very quickly. If they have a distance to go and get stuck in traffic they can run to 100 baht but it takes them 45 minutes to do it, in which time it possible to do many 35 baht minimum runs.

The UK you spoke of (I drove there for 5 years) yes, you can wait your turn for an hour and get a small job, that applies to licenced mini-cabs, not Hackney's who can wander and pick-up what they want, unless they have tied to an office too, its the luck of the draw, but that's all part of the job.

Not from any airport. Airport to London town is a nice job. I have been refused in London cos it was a crap job. I was a mini- cab driver for years, so l know the routine. smile.png

In every developed country I've lived in it's 100% illegal to refuse to take any fare wherever they want to go within the regulated area, at risk of losing the right to hack.

It goes with the job, just like at most sex industry venues the girl doesn't have the option to cherry-pick her customers.

Just sayin'

I'm not sure about the sex trade comment, but I can confirm that in developed countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore, a taxi driver does not have the right to refuse a fare, with the exception that HK cabbies in a tunnel taxi queue will only go across the harbour. Back in the old country, black cabs could not refuse a fare within the city boundaries, but would negotiate a fare outside the city.

I'm not sure what the rules are for declining fares on grounds of drunkenness, squalling infants etc.

From time to time, back in the day, an Officer of the Law used to enforce queueing discipline at On Nut BTS during peak hours; there the problem was people getting into the first taxi, rather than joining the end of the queue; in that case there were far more passengers waiting than taxis.

SC

If he doesn't want to drive to Sai Tai Mai on Friday at 4pm, maybe he should look for another job (or don't work at that particular time)?

I regularly have problems just crossing midtown, since I'm south of Sathorn the traffic does really stink.

I've found it sometimes help to just slide in and shut the door, and confidently tell him where to head, as if I've never heard of the concept of them deciding whether or not to refuse; seems to increase the odds as opposed to talking through the window. Of course if they do refuse I just hop out, I only make a fuss if it's raining or few other taxis available, sometimes just need to ask half a dozen or so before one says yes.