Pak Wan Help

McMagus

The missus has decided to grow Pak Wan on a plot on the farm. She tells me it is difficult and tricky to grow but returns are good. The farm is near Khon Kaen and like most of the Issan soil, gooey mud in the wet and a dust bowl in the dry. If it is difficult to grow, I would be interested to hear from anybody who has had some sucess regarding soil acidity, shade, watering etc., etc.

I can't offer any advice on growing this, but as with most things it is always necessary to know where to sell your produce. Check out the market before committing to this unless starting very small.

I would think that picking the leaves would be quite labour intensive.

You may like to google Sauropus androgynus and you might be able to find some info.

It grows well all over Nam Nao area. People sell it along the road very well in the season (one crop a year as I remember). My family loves the stuff. I would look to see if any at all grows in your area first.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't offer any advice on growing this, but as with most things it is always necessary to know where to sell your produce. Check out the market before committing to this unless starting very small.

I would think that picking the leaves would be quite labour intensive.

You may like to google Sauropus androgynus and you might be able to find some info.

I Googled and found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9140317

Doesn't sound good to me.

I didn't know what it was until I asked my wife. Apparently I have been eating it for several years. It is expensive in the market but we have two patches of it growing under a couple of different trees. My wife uses it in soup. She says it must be boiled and not fried.