Proof Of Visa To Be Carried At All Times..?

A Police Scam appears to be in operation in Phuket, whereby they set up a roadblock and check the occupants. They don't bother Thai's, or faransg traveling with Thai's, only farangs alone. They then demand to see your passport, and visa. I usually just carry my driving licence for ID, and have never had a problem before. This time I did have a copy of my passport face page, but not the visa. I was threatened with jail , and held with a friend, for over an hour at the side of the road, along with a few others. Eventually the roadblock was lifted and we were 'invited' to pay an on-the-spot fine, rather than going to jail..? The guy in charge was young and very tough, and obviously hated farang for some reason..? Anyway, just a warning to carry a copy of your ID and visa if driving alone.

• Like 2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the first instance the policeman was not wrong. He can insist on you showing a oassport with a valid visa.

Not many of us do however.

The only thing he did wrong was to ask you to pay a spot fine, unless he gave you an official receipt with a copy that he took back to the police station.

There are rogue policemen out there who do know the law and will use it to make the'farang' pay.

Lesson learnt for those in Phuket.

I believe the rule is you must be able to show it within a reasonble time, often that is in about 1 hour.

Of course they can detain you till a friends brings it, and after the reasoable time has been expired you can also be fined.

A receipt shows it was an official fine and you were not scammed. But that they are in a group also shows it was a checkpoint approved by the chain of command.

• Like 1

It is my understanding expat residents with visas need to have a Thai Government issued ID on you at all times and a driver's license is sufficient. If you're here on a tourist entry, might need that passport.

I have a DL and also carry colour copies of passport ID page, visa, entry stamp, residency cert and WP, all of which the originals are kept in a safe place as is recommended.

It is my understanding expat residents with visas need to have a Thai Government issued ID on you at all times and a driver's license is sufficient. If you're here on a tourist entry, might need that passport.

I have a DL and also carry colour copies of passport ID page, visa, entry stamp, residency cert and WP, all of which the originals are kept in a safe place as is recommended.

Under the immigration law Thai police has the authority to check the status of foreigners, they can only check that if you have your passport.

• Like 2

The only official identification recognized by the Thai government is your passport. It does not matter if you are on a visa, visa exempt entry or extension of stay.

I never travel very far from home without my passport. A copy might get you by but if you are a long way from your passport it could be very long wait in a lock up waiting for somebody to bring it you.

Edited by ubonjoe

I had the same prpblem many years ago near to the Palace. It was pretty obvious the copper was up to no good and I invited him to either come with me to the Police Staion or my home to see my Passport. He later asked for a tip which was refused and he gave up trying.

I never take my passport as it is too bulky

A poor excuse. If you don't carry a PP at all times then you risk being detained and inconvenienced. It is not only identification that is required but status, i.e. you have valid entries in you PP permitting you to be here. A Thai Drivers Permit only provides ID.

Last year I walked into a shopping mall and was stopped by uniformed police who asked for my PP. One knew exactly what he was looking for and confirmed my status as valid, saluted, thanked me and returned the PP. A group of male and female westerners were huddled in a corner, caught without PPs and one called out that I 'was lucky'. I told him there was no luck involved.

You make the choice. No PP then you risk detention.

• Like 2

I have my passport details page on the front and current visa details on the back of a business card sized laminated document which can be carried in my wallet. Never have had a problem with this.

That said, I've never really met any of the "bad" police here and I am not sure about the legality of the above document. If leaving the provence, I will always have my passport with me anyway.

OK, thanks for the comments. I will just add a few more details. The incident occurred a few nights ago. The new chief of police in Phuket is apparently hard-line, and is determined to make a name for himself. This is mentioned in the press. I do not usually carry my passport around with me, unless there is a good reason for doing so, or if I am going further away from home. I sometimes carry a copy..? I was within a very short distance of home when this happened, but as luck would have it, my passport was with immigration that day, getting a visa extension. I don't understand why they had to keep my passport overnight, but they often do..? That is another issue though. The passport copy was face page only, and the immigration receipt for my passport, was at home. I had my 5 year driving licence on me, which has my picture and address, so he knows I am legit. He also talked to my wife, who backed up everything I said. No, it was all a 'game' to squeeze a few extra baht out of some farang, before the end of the month (it happened on 31st Oct). My friend who was with me also was pretty shocked, as he has also been here over 20 years, and has never experienced such aggression. The policeman in charge was/is a nasty piece of work. Final comment. We moved away from Phuket a few months ago, because of the high cost of living, the increase in crime, and lack of help from the police towards the victims. I was only back there for a few days to tidy up some loose ends. So I am now quite certain we made the right decision..! And in future, I will carry a photo-copy of my passport / visa, with me at all times..

A poor excuse. If you don't carry a PP at all times then you risk being detained and inconvenienced. It is not only identification that is required but status, i.e. you have valid entries in you PP permitting you to be here. A Thai Drivers Permit only provides ID.

Last year I walked into a shopping mall and was stopped by uniformed police who asked for my PP. One knew exactly what he was looking for and confirmed my status as valid, saluted, thanked me and returned the PP. A group of male and female westerners were huddled in a corner, caught without PPs and one called out that I 'was lucky'. I told him there was no luck involved.

all is true but suppose you just lost your PP and on the way to police station when controlled ....... what then? (a hypothetical question i know wink.png , but could happen)

i carry inPattaya colour copy id page & visa &Thai DL& departure card , from wich they can (if willing to do so know whistling.gif ) my status by phoning immigration ( Suvharnabummi immigration is 24 hours present and have computer acces)

the problem of losing or be pickpocketed is farr bigger than to be detained for a short time before someone bring passport tho the station wai2.gif

For official cases or out of Pattaya i carry real Pasport ofcourse

ps: would forfil the full requirments to carry ALL times the Passport if they could clean all their tugs an thieves from the streetswai2.gif

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

I have a Thai Driving License which is an ID, it does not have my passport number on it but a 13 digit number like a Thai ID,

I have a Thai Driving License which is an ID, it does not have my passport number on it but a 13 digit number like a Thai ID,

MY last 2 driving licences have had my passport number on.
  • Like 1

10 years here and stopped many times and never once been asked for my passport apart from at immigration. must just be lucky.

Me too. 22 years. Never carried it except when there is some bureaucratic necessity. I travel to other provinces at least once a month, catch flights, check into hotels, rent cars. Never have my passport. Reading what some have to say, I've either been extremely lucky or we live in a parallel universe.

• Like 2

I never take my passport out as the threat of street crime and pick pockets would ultimately ruin my holiday. I do though carry a laminated credit card sized copy the photo page so would that suffice? I can't imagine even 60% of holidaymakers in Patong would be carrying their PP's with them at all times.

• Like 1

I beg to differ.

If on a tourist visa you must be able, under international rules, to show your passport on demand.

If on an extension of stay, and in possession of a Thai DL which includes a Thai ID number, and registered in a yellow tambien baan, the police can check your status.

That said, they can ask or order you to show your passport & extension within a reasonable time, depending on distance.

It is also possible to show that paperwork in another police station.

If you do not have the DL and the Tambien Baan, you need to be able who you are and what your status is.

Ergo, passport with extension.

If you have a copy of your passport and extension with you and possibly some other form of ID, like a ID card, they might give you 6 hours max to show the lot.

If you live outside the jurisdiction of the police that is checking you, there might be a problem.

The thai ID number, mentioned in the Tambien Baan and the DL is the thing the police can check you with.

Tested it in Bangkok.

The policeman entered my ID-number, and there I was, including picture, my status, which DL's I had, my passport number and the extension number.

I do live in the Isan.

I think the police could round up every farang on the beach, if everyone was required to carry their passport at all times, and the beach bums would have a field day, stealing everyones bag when they went into the water, or do you take the passport into the water also?

I have a copy of mine, but never been asked for it. Passport is always at home, hidden away, except when traveling.

If the police want the 400 baht, they will get it, with or without your passport.

• Like 1

When I'm down in a tourist area like Phuket, I carry my passport with me at all times. When I'm in the water I put it in a scuba diver cigarette case.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Big cigarettes or small passport, I think.

But back to my question:

It would be a useful information, where this checkpoint was.

To check with future complaints, if it was unique try, or becomes a rule, now.

Out of my experience, there aren't many checkpoints, where they set up a 'cashier'-box with receipts and everything.

And b/c the station don't like it, that tea money ends in some pocket only, it can be a very useful information.

For the station, methinkswhistling.gif

Edited by noob7

Where was this roadblock, please?

Thepkassatri Road heading north out of town. Just before the top of the winding hill near Laem Hin. There is a U-turn, and they blocked off our side of the road completely. All cars were checked, though they only pulled over farangs driving on their own (without a thai). A few Burmese were also pulled over, but they didn't get much cash from them, and they were quickly released.