Proof Of Visa To Be Carried At All Times..?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every house owner or hotel where an alien stays is required to file a TM 30 form with immigration. In order to complete the form, a passport is required since that is where all the information for the form is located. A DL does not have all the data that must be reported. During my recent stays at hotels in Issan and central provinces I was asked to present my passport if I made the reservation or checked in. If a Thai family member made the reservation and checked us in, no request for passport.

Every house owner or hotel where an alien stays is required to file a TM 30 form with immigration. In order to complete the form, a passport is required since that is where all the information for the form is located. A DL does not have all the data that must be reported. During my recent stays at hotels in Issan and central provinces I was asked to present my passport if I made the reservation or checked in. If a Thai family member made the reservation and checked us in, no request for passport.

When a Thai checks in to a hotel or boards an aircraft, staff will request their Thai ID card because it is the identification that they are most likely to have. But they can use some other type of photo identification and that's fine. In the same situation with a foreigner those staff will request a passport they assume that is the ID the foreigner is most likely to present. But you can use some other type of photo identification too and that will also be fine.

This is not conjecture on my part. I know it for a fact because I never carry my passport when travelling domestically and I never have a problem. Not in several hundred trips. Not ever.

Yes I believe that hotels are obligated to report guest information to relevant authorities but that is their obligation, not the guest's. It doesn't automatically follow that because the hotel is required to report certain information that the guest is required to prove beyond doubt that it's true.

And if the hotel has to report visa information taken from the guest's passport, then what about permanent residents that have no TM6 in their passport and may well have no stamps. A hotel clerk wouldn't understand that which is not surprising because they aren't immigration officers. That's why there is no reason to give them your passport.

The requirement is clearly defined on TM.30 which every provider of accommodations is required to fill out. Although not strictly enforced for private parties it is enforced for hotels and guest houses. You must present passport if a non resident foreigner without a Thai ID card.

Name and surname.

Nationality.

Passport Number.

Date of arrival.

Type of visa.

Expire date of stay.

Point of entry.

Arrival card number.

Relationship.

What I said, let the wife book the room! clap2.gif

Edited by noob7

The bottom line was that I was unlucky that night. And I was not the only one. I could have insisted on going to the police station, and being properly fined. But my passport was with immigration, and my wife was not in Phuket, she was up north. So I had no-one to go to collect either the passport, or the receipt for it, from my house. I was also very tired, having been up since early that morning, and working all day. The cop was not in a good mood, and it was only after several phone calls to my wife that he finally said what he REALLY wanted. Cash..! I did lodge a complaint with my consul, and I have highlighted the incident both here, and amongst all my friends and contacts in Phuket. I am hoping that this will help others who are caught in similar circumstances, to deal with it more successfully..!

The bottom line was that I was unlucky that night. And I was not the only one. I could have insisted on going to the police station, and being properly fined. But my passport was with immigration, and my wife was not in Phuket, she was up north. So I had no-one to go to collect either the passport, or the receipt for it, from my house. I was also very tired, having been up since early that morning, and working all day. The cop was not in a good mood, and it was only after several phone calls to my wife that he finally said what he REALLY wanted. Cash..! I did lodge a complaint with my consul, and I have highlighted the incident both here, and amongst all my friends and contacts in Phuket. I am hoping that this will help others who are caught in similar circumstances, to deal with it more successfully..!

Did you not get the police officers identification? Name and number? Maybe on a receipt?

When I lived in Peru it was a regular occurenve to be stopped and checked for ID and visa by all and sundry in uniform. They invariably found some irregularity that warranted a fine, but never had a recepit book - so I carried one of them as well - and never paid another fine ;)

Dork,

we must travel in different Thailands. I travel by air and land frequently and have had to provide my passport to board flights both for domestic and international trips. Hotels also ask for and see my passport when checking in. As for your other comments, Lop said enough.

I have traveled this country from north to south several times for the last decade. Unless I am travelling by air, I never carry my passport with me. This is way to valuable for me to carry around. I have a Thai driving license. I have never been asked by any law official to provide my passport. Driving license has been sufficient. When hotels ask for my passport, I politely say no, and show my driving license.

10 years here and stopped many times and never once been asked for my passport apart from at immigration. must just be lucky.

Me too. 22 years. Never carried it except when there is some bureaucratic necessity. I travel to other provinces at least once a month, catch flights, check into hotels, rent cars. Never have my passport. Reading what some have to say, I've either been extremely lucky or we live in a parallel universe.

Same here, Over 23 years in Thailand with a lot of traveling and never asked for my PP.

I have a 5 year DL with PP number and i use this for almost everything.

The PP number should be enough for them to check the status.

Maybe luckly.

Identical : almost a quarter of century here but never had to produce the PP, but the driver's license yes and the tea money, many, many, many times...always with a smile, naturally !

The police have every right to request your passport to check your visa and entry card. A copy of the same duly certified and laminated to a credit card size and kept in your wallet is sufficient.

On the spot fines without a receipt should be reported to authorities

By the way, police including immigration police, are not authorised to check on any work permits of individuals, the labour department holds this authorisation only. If you are bullied into revealing details you believe are outside the scope of any officers authority or feel bullied in any way you may call the corruption suppression unit, the crime suppression unit, and the Inspector Generals office in Bangkok for a definitive viewpoint.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the new D/L has a metallic strip on the back that will have all your detail's on it Visa/Passport No: it is also your D/L No: mine is/has. If you go to the Police station a quick run through their set up and bingo sorted well should be. I have never had a problem in over 25 year's just using my D/L but thank's for the head's up.

Edited by fredob43

It is quit simple to comply with Thai law by carrying a copy of the appropriate pages of your passport and TM6 card. That helps everyone obey the law (what a concept.)

Can you please, please provide a specific reference to this "Thai law"? In Thai or English.

You are supposed to have your passport always with you. This apply for all countries, not only for Thailand

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

Absolutely correct thumbsup.gif

Have you ever been to another country? From this comment, I would wonder.

For your information Sir, I've been to more than 25 countries (as far as I can remember).

Although the law exists, many countries do not enforce it strictly.

Instead of posting thrash like this "Have you ever been to another country? From this comment, I would wonder."

Would it not be more decent and useful for all readers if you contacted the Police or Immigration of your own country and verify the real facts? Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Some examples...

http://www.canadaupd...ants-16506.html

New ID Card legislation worries immigrants

http://tnvalleytalks...631170036760638

~It just shows it's working. Wasn't it a Mercedes executive? His papers were at his hotel and all was cleared up shortly after the arrest.

~I'm surprised this has gone without discussion. It seems our new immigration law has managed to result in the arrest of an executive of a company that happens to employ over 3,000 people in a state with over 9% unemployment. Are we still proud of this asinine piece of legislation?

~The law worked the way it was supposed to. The only thing wrong is that the exc. forgot to keep his passport and other papers on him as he should have and he should have had a tag on his car rental, not his fault. If you get caught in germany without your passport or visa or military i d card, they will throw you in jail

~Sounds to me it's working just fine. It was all straightened out. Let any of us try to travel in foreign countries with no "papers" and see if their police will accept the argument that we're an "important" person and just let us go. What's to be embarrassed about? Sheesh.

Edited by ravip

I never take my passport as it is too bulky

A poor excuse. If you don't carry a PP at all times then you risk being detained and inconvenienced. It is not only identification that is required but status, i.e. you have valid entries in you PP permitting you to be here. A Thai Drivers Permit only provides ID.

Last year I walked into a shopping mall and was stopped by uniformed police who asked for my PP. One knew exactly what he was looking for and confirmed my status as valid, saluted, thanked me and returned the PP. A group of male and female westerners were huddled in a corner, caught without PPs and one called out that I 'was lucky'. I told him there was no luck involved.

You make the choice. No PP then you risk detention.

all is true but suppose you just lost your PP and on the way to police station when controlled ....... what then? (a hypothetical question i know wink.png , but could happen)

i carry inPattaya colour copy id page & visa &Thai DL& departure card , from wich they can (if willing to do so know whistling.gif ) my status by phoning immigration ( Suvharnabummi immigration is 24 hours present and have computer acces)

the problem of losing or be pickpocketed is farr bigger than to be detained for a short time before someone bring passport tho the station wai2.gif

For official cases or out of Pattaya i carry real Pasport ofcourse

ps: would forfil the full requirments to carry ALL times the Passport if they could clean all their tugs an thieves from the streetswai2.gif

You travel to a foreign country with such demands?

(ps: would forfil the full requirments to carry ALL times the Passport if they could clean all their tugs an thieves from the streetswai2.gif)

Me sure... they will do that and welcome you with a red carpet!

Dork,

we must travel in different Thailands. I travel by air and land frequently and have had to provide my passport to board flights both for domestic and international trips. Hotels also ask for and see my passport when checking in. As for your other comments, Lop said enough.

OK I'll concede. Perhaps it's just my lack of tattoos and body piercings that affords special privileges at the airport.

Dork,

OK I'll concede. Perhaps it's just my lack of tattoos and body piercings that affords special privileges at the airport.

For domestic travel and hotels etc an (Thai excepted) photo identification is enough.

You can use your Thai DL for this purpose.

Officially hotels have to report all the information on the TM30 form but complete name and passport number (which is on DL) is sufficient.

Edited by merijn

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the new D/L has a metallic strip on the back that will have all your detail's on it Visa/Passport No: it is also your D/L No: mine is/has. If you go to the Police station a quick run through their set up and bingo sorted well should be. I have never had a problem in over 25 year's just using my D/L but thank's for the head's up.

I did not hear about this and my new DL does not have a metallic strip.

I think this would be unlikely;y as the Transportation Department and the Immigration computers are not linked.

It is quit simple to comply with Thai law by carrying a copy of the appropriate pages of your passport and TM6 card. That helps everyone obey the law (what a concept.)

Can you please, please provide a specific reference to this "Thai law"? In Thai or English.

A simple review of the Immigration website should provide they necessary documents and laws in Thai and an english synopsis.

A simple review of the Immigration website should provide they necessary documents and laws in Thai and an english synopsis.

In other words you can't provide a specific reference?

asiaexpat, here is a link to an English translation of the Immigration Act you mentioned:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a84562-Immigration-Act-EN.pdf.html

and here is the link to the original Thai text:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a84563-Immigration-Act-TH.pdf.html

These links may help you to be more specific with your answer regarding the question about the alleged legal requirement for foreigners to carry the passport with them at all times, eg quote the section you consider to be relevant.

• Like 1

You are supposed to have your passport always with you. This apply for all countries, not only for Thailand

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

Not ALL countries. It is, admittedly, a lot of countries but definitely not all.

Some issue ID cards to foreigners living there (Japan, Hong Kong), so you don't need to carry your passport once you have your ID. Others, like the UK, US, don't require the carrying of ID at all (unless you're driving a car, and then it's your driving licence, not your passport, that they care about.).

The only time I've been stopped by the police and asked for my passport was in Japan. I have been stopped in Thailand and asked for my driving licence though (where the GPS told me to turn where, at that time of day apparently, it wasn't allowed).

Thailand is one of the few countries where it CAN be strictly enforced, which is why, UK citizens applying for a new passport from HK, are allowed to send a photocopy rather than being required to send the old passport. Personally, I tend to carry my passport, except when going to the beach or at Songkran.