Car Rental Deposit Return

seedy

Just got back to CNX, after having rented a car in Hat Yai. The company is one of the large chains, with a see sum sign.

Was told that my deposit - which they insisted be paid via credit card, would take 14 days to be credited to my card company as it was a 'foreign bank'

Anyone else have this happen to them, and does it really take this long ?

Rented many cars in LOS, having always paid the deposit in cash, and promptly had it returned when I gave the car back without damage.

Thanks

I always rent with Avis and they never actually charge my account. Just hold a signed credit card voucher which they "unblock" after the rental.

Same with Hertz Thailand, and National/Europcar/Alamo in the UK: it's just a pre-authorisation.

Any company actually taking the deposit money from your CC account is scamming you.

• Like 2

I always rent with Avis and they never actually charge my account. Just hold a signed credit card voucher which they "unblock" after the rental.

I found the same with Thai-rent a car.

Me too. I've never seen a "deposit" entry on my CC statement, and always got the original CC (deposit) receipt on returning the car.

Edited by whybother

The reason that rental companies want you to pay the deposit with a credit card, is if you have an accident, and the dammage is more than the deposit, then they can reclaim the full amount, without having to take you to court to get it. Maybe some companies take cash, but I dont think its standard practice, worldwide. As far as how long it takes to get your deposit back, I have no clue.

The merchant processing facilities here aren't quite the same standard as we're used to back home. Them getting a 14-day "float" on your money may be a scam, but it seems pretty clear that you don't necessarily need to be worried you're not actually going to get the credit back.

BTW what's "a see sum sign"?

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

The reason that rental companies want you to pay the deposit with a credit card, is if you have an accident, and the dammage is more than the deposit, then they can reclaim the full amount, without having to take you to court to get it. Maybe some companies take cash, but I dont think its standard practice, worldwide. As far as how long it takes to get your deposit back, I have no clue.

From what I understand, they can't take more than what you've signed for.

From what I understand, they can't take more than what you've signed for.

I think you will find they can, whilst they only get authorisation for the actual deposit the terms of the contract allow them to dip into your credit card account at a later date if they want to.

This happens world wide, and it can cover such things as claims from third parties, traffic offences and damage not identified when the car is returned, damaged spare wheel for instance. It's never happend to me but I have seen many reports in the press on the subject.

Hotels can also do it.

This is my understanding too.

No actual withdrawal, unless you default, just the funds are blocked

Also common in large hotel chains to make sure you do not run off without paying the bill.

I let them block funds on my credit card, then pay later with a debit card.

The block does not even show on the statement.

Some posts indicate a dislike of using credit cards. However, provided you choose a reputable company there can be some significant advantages. Mastercard platinum insurance cover is pretty good. In fact often better than the insurance offered by the hirers insurance. You are also covered against fraud. Make sure you keep all paperwork and make notes as you go and keep them. As an aside I never take out extra travel insurance (which can abe as much as 30-50% on top of the cost of an airticket) when going overseas - just use the credit card. I carry the policy (Zurich) with me and contact numbers. Had to make a few calls once - all sorted by the help desk.

it can take that long even in the home country, to actually get through to your account. It's another way they earn interest on our money, by grabbing it quick, repaying it slow. A fact of life!

Not a fact of life at all. Gibberish, perhaps...

Blocking funds like this is referred to as an authorisation hold (AH). In fact, every time you use a card electronically an AH is in effect against your account for the amount in question until you enter the pin (there's an authorisation code on the slip). It works a little bit different when you use a CC, but more or less the same.

Nu funds are released to the merchant during an AH, they don't earn interest.

it can take that long even in the home country, to actually get through to your account. It's another way they earn interest on our money, by grabbing it quick, repaying it slow. A fact of life!

Blocking funds like this is referred to as an authorisation hold (AH). In fact, every time you use a card electronically an AH is in effect against your account for the amount in question until you enter the pin (there's an authorisation code on the slip). It works a little bit different when you use a CC, but more or less the same.

As I mentioned many companies here don't subscribe to the more sophisticated merchant processing services that allow for AH.

I've rented dozens of times here where they actually debit my account for the insurance cover, and just as many times have been asked to put down cash for the insurance.

I'm surprised to hear of the same happening at the higher end of the market, but perhaps these are franchises rather than company-owned branches?

As I mentioned many companies here don't subscribe to the more sophisticated merchant processing services that allow for AH.

I've rented dozens of times here where they actually debit my account for the insurance cover, and just as many times have been asked to put down cash for the insurance.

I'm surprised to hear of the same happening at the higher end of the market, but perhaps these are franchises rather than company-owned branches?

Of course. If they charge your account they charge your account, but in such case it is no AH.

Personally, I am not to worried when they charge me and I get a receipt for the transaction. What is really scary is when a dodgy car rental company at the Malaga airport want you to sign a blank credit card slip, something that I simply refuse to do.

Put up cash - no problem. Sign a blank slip - no way, Jose....

Of course. If they charge your account they charge your account, but in such case it is no AH.

Personally, I am not to worried when they charge me and I get a receipt for the transaction. What is really scary is when a dodgy car rental company at the Malaga airport want you to sign a blank credit card slip, something that I simply refuse to do.

Put up cash - no problem. Sign a blank slip - no way, Jose....

Not sure of the details wrt other countries, but a real CC from an American bank would be no problem, you just call customer service say the magic words "I dispute this charge" and then the company's got the burden of proof.

Of course I'd assume you'd also not be so stupid as to accept a large liability wrt insurance. . .