Long And Short Timers

mogy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was here for a few months I thought it was cool to be here a long time so would round it up to the month. Actually did the same with years up to about 10 years. A bit like a kid wanting to be older.

Somewhere around 10-15 years, I stopped that and usually round down to the year - kinda like getting old I guess.

I came here 20 years ago for a few months but didn't move permanently until 18 years ago.

now, I often tell people I've been here many years and leave it there. I met one Scottish bloke last month and asked him where he was from - he got kinda defensive and didn't tell me but said he'd been living here 12 years. I din't tell him how long I'd been here and walked away. A few yeas ago, Id have had to tell him that I'd been here longer. Progress not perfection.

why do people ask these dumb questions?

lack of an original conversation starter me thinks.

many people find it uncomfortable to give out personal info like that.

remember that next time and talk about the weather or something. or better yet, go away and don't talk at all.

Edited by jacktrip

I think it is quite natural for expats to discuss with one another how long they have been in country. It is not unique to Thailand of course, the same thing occurred when I was in various other countries. I have only been here a little over three months, and when I need advice on something pertaining to Thailand it is nice to know whether or not the person giving the advice has some experience to draw on. The first expat I met here has been here over six years. He gave me some good advice that I followed, saving me time and money.

• Like 1

i always tell those fresh of the boat people how long i am here. Its the only way to get some status and make them understand how dumb they are compared to me.

How else can i impress people i haven't done anything in life. Its just like getting respect just because your older also such a good thing.

*sarcasm mode off*

Thanks, i needed some humor

i always tell those fresh of the boat people how long i am here. Its the only way to get some status and make them understand how dumb they are compared to me.

How else can i impress people i haven't done anything in life. Its just like getting respect just because your older also such a good thing.

*sarcasm mode off*

Thanks, i needed some humor

Your welcome, currently i put below my posts what is a joke and what is not. Never know what people might think of me else.

• Like 1

I don't normally tell farangs as they are quite taken aback at how long I've been on "holiday" here. Usually they're quite jealous of my situation. I don't blame them. biggrin.png

Thais usually know I'm a long timer since they see me every day. I'm the tourist who never seems to go home. lol.

Apologies in advance but with that title I just couldn't resist:

Thailand I want to love you long time!

Sorry
farang
honky you need big money for that, you no have, only enough for short time. But go home and make some more, when you come back I be here "waiting" for you my #1 teerak.
  • Like 1

why do people ask these dumb questions?

lack of an original conversation starter me thinks.

many people find it uncomfortable to give out personal info like that.

remember that next time and talk about the weather or something. or better yet, go away and don't talk at all.

This has to be your longest post for a long time JT! clap2.gif ....sadly, while quantity went up, quality remained about the same. Smile....chill...be happy. Life is too short.

And for the OP, I have to admit I have not lived there permanently (yet). Preparing and planning to do so as soon as I retire at the end of the year and swap the freezing Scottish Highlands for the smoky hell of CM's burning season.

I was recently talking with a colleague about these young people we hire. Usually they join first for an internship, usually their first working experience abroad, and if everything goes fine, we offer some a more permanent job. Our conversation was about how arrogant they become after two, three months in Asia. Suddenly they become the expert expat, they know everything about their new country.

They become usually very condescending about the locals, making fun about the local customs, just showing how little they know and understand about the country. It usually get better after one or two years for those who make an effort to mix with their local colleagues . Or never for those who get stuck in their expat circles. But even for these ones after a couple of years they start to show more respect of the local customs and a basic understanding on how to survive in their new environment .

So actually it makes a difference how long you have lived in a country

• Like 1

I once sat in a bar downtown Pattaya and a man came and sat next too me (drunk) and he blurred out: this is my 15th trip to Thailand, how many times have you been here? I told him that I live here. Strangely enough he left after 1 beer and being silent during the time it took him to drink it (I didn't mind).

If asked, I normally tell people its my first time. If they persist then I expand that to first time living here.

Usually by that time I have been educated as to how to survive here............wink.png

I have even been advised on occassion to log-in-to ThaiVisa as it is very informative.

These people have obviously not been to the General or Falang Pub forums.....................thumbsup.gif

People, when they first see me, think that I just came of the Plane, but when I tell them that I lived her now for well over 6 years, they don't believe me.

After 6 years you must be Black in colour (no racism intended)

The only time I went before for 12 days and I came home Blacker than the Ace Of Spades. After 6 years you must be awesome !!

Yes, one thing that really stand out is that newbies/tourists think that every young woman in pattaya is a hooker.

Still, some dumbarses continue to think that even if they have stay here for years

http://www.thaivisa....walking-street/

The women in that vdo are - why else would they be there if they weren't? I feel sorry for the dude they gave a kicking.

People, when they first see me, think that I just came of the Plane, but when I tell them that I lived her now for well over 6 years, they don't believe me.

The only time I went before for 12 days and I came home Blacker than the Ace Of Spades. After 6 years you must be awesome !!

If you have been here a while you realize the women don't like tans so no long timers tan except the ones who don't know anything about the culture.

Yes, one thing that really stand out is that newbies/tourists think that every young woman in pattaya is a hooker.

Still, some dumbarses continue to think that even if they have stay here for years

http://www.thaivisa....walking-street/

The women in that vdo are - why else would they be there if they weren't? I feel sorry for the dude they gave a kicking.

That's the whole point! There are lots of women in Thailand who walk around blatant red-light district areas that are in fact not hookers. Some of them might dress like them act like them, don't care if people think they are.

None of which makes it OK to come out and make some rude comment as if you're sure they're a whore, unless they've initiated contact, even if which case you're better off keeping it light rather than insulting.

Speaking politely and discreetly, leading up to the subject in a non-insulting way, IMO that's fine even with an obviously straight girl in an office or retail context, but "hey baby how about short time" isn't appropriate no matter how likely you think she's a streetwalker.

If you have been here a while you realize the women don't like tans so no long timers tan except the ones who don't know anything about the culture.

Completely agree. Back home I'd work at getting my daily vitamin D even when living in the city, here I've let myself get completely pasty, white as a corpse.

Not so much because the girls hate a tan, but that fact reminds me exposure to the sun is actually dangerous. Plus it's so dam_n hot. . .

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

No I am not black (I am more white then black biggrin.png ) because I know what excessive sun bathing can do to your skin, I think most of the people who live here, don't really like the sun and try to avoid it (but there are always exceptions wink.png

Edited by MJCM

I think if you really white, like if you just landed from a nordic country, you look absolutely ridiculous. After a few years, you should have a light brown color of someone living in a tropical country without being completely dark. A bit like the locals.