Omfg -- M&m Almonds Are Good

tinfoilhat

They've been around a while, yes they're nice but so few per packet. Makro you can get the big bags and pig right out.

Also look out for a German "Chocolate 4 You", green label's hazelnut praline, only carried at 7-11's catering to foreigners and hi-so areas.

Ritter and Toblerone of course, tan and red label Swiss brand forget the name, Guylian makes a bar now, Dove's not bad, Hershey's nuggets in a pinch, all available at that kind of 7, but at places with low turnover it can sometimes be a bit stale.

Anyone else noticed that out of the three flavours of the heavily marketed Mega bars, the Truffle flavour, the tastiest one seems to be getting phased out leaving only Almond and boring old Classic? Nestle did the same thing ten years ago and then seemed to just toss in the towel completely to Wall's.

I've given up many vices over the years, but I"m afraid the chocoholism will be the last to go.

I agree that Almond M&Ms are a big improvement on the standard ones but don't you find you can't actually taste the almond? You should compare them with the Vanhouten milk chocolate almonds (also in some 7/11s), they are an improvement. You'll then realize that Mars ruin perfectly good almonds but covering them in the M&M chocolate and crispy shell. For the best chocolate almonds ever, I discovered Jacques Bellanger when I visited Paris, they really are omfg, but they will make anything else you ever try pale by comparison.

They've been around a while, yes they're nice but so few per packet. Makro you can get the big bags and pig right out.

Also look out for a German "Chocolate 4 You", green label's hazelnut praline, only carried at 7-11's catering to foreigners and hi-so areas.

Ritter and Toblerone of course, tan and red label Swiss brand forget the name, Guylian makes a bar now, Dove's not bad, Hershey's nuggets in a pinch, all available at that kind of 7, but at places with low turnover it can sometimes be a bit stale.

Anyone else noticed that out of the three flavours of the heavily marketed Mega bars, the Truffle flavour, the tastiest one seems to be getting phased out leaving only Almond and boring old Classic? Nestle did the same thing ten years ago and then seemed to just toss in the towel completely to Wall's.

I've given up many vices over the years, but I"m afraid the chocoholism will be the last to go.

Plenty of truffle ones up here in the North. Just ate one ten minutes ago for mid-morning snack. Maybe I should start shipping them?

they have dove bars at the 7 near my house on koh phangan, not at the one across the street form my place in Bangkok.

in fact the chocolate selection in bangkok is generally very tragic.

Never even seen a mega bar.

I did a search on google and the only reference was this page. are you talking about Magnum?

if so the truffle is good, i dislike chocolate ice cream, but like truffle.

As for being able to taste the almond in the m&m, it is there but it is a more sublte taste. I dont rally consider theem chocolate covered almonds, i was just blown away by how much better they are than tradition m&ms.

van houton are ok, but they really are chocolate covered almonds, i have only seen the dark chocolate variety

Edited by tinfoilhat

they have dove bars at the 7 near my house on koh phangan, not at the one across the street form my place in Bangkok.

I did a search on google and the only reference was this page. are you talking about Magnum?

As for being able to taste the almond in the m&m, it is there but it is a more sublte taste. I dont rally consider theem chocolate covered almonds, i was just blown away by how much better they are than tradition m&ms.

van houton are ok, but they really are chocolate covered almonds, i have only seen the dark chocolate variety

Yes, the Wall's brand is Magnum, Mega was Nestle's equivalent way back when, other than in name exactly the same line.

And if you go to your favorite retailer at the moment I reckon you're likely to find the Truffles all gone, only Classic and Almond for sale.

So it goes. . .

Yes, the Wall's brand is Magnum, Mega was Nestle's equivalent way back when, other than in name exactly the same line.

And if you go to your favorite retailer at the moment I reckon you're likely to find the Truffles all gone, only Classic and Almond for sale.

So it goes. . .

how far back, ive been here since 96 and i dont recall ver seeing a mega bar, but cant remember when magnum appeared, they are so ubiquitous.

BTW plenty o truffles here on soi 11

Edited by tinfoilhat

how far back, ive been here since 96 and i dont recall ver seeing a mega bar, but cant remember when magnum appeared, they are so ubiquitous.

Maybe it's my area then, I sure hope they're not being phased out.

I suspect you just weren't been paying that much attention then, Nestle Mega was marketed here up to maybe 2002, and their version of Truffle was even better than Wall's. They used to have more market share then than they do now, but even then you had to look for it, for example 7-11 never carried them AFAIK. But in those days there were more competitors to 7-11 too, some neighborhoods actually had more Family Marts as well as the no-name mom and pops than these days.

Maybe it's my area then, I sure hope they're not being phased out.

I suspect you just weren't been paying that much attention then, Nestle Mega was marketed here up to maybe 2002, and their version of Truffle was even better than Wall's. They used to have more market share then than they do now, but even then you had to look for it, for example 7-11 never carried them AFAIK. But in those days there were more competitors to 7-11 too, some neighborhoods actually had more Family Marts as well as the no-name mom and pops than these days.

derailing my own thread, but i wanted to see who owned wahls and i found this. Common knowledge, but interesting as far as it goes in a top-level kind of way:

post-150703-0-66066900-1352437911_thumb.

Edited by tinfoilhat