Any Ideas?

narak86

Hi all. Father in law lives in phetchabun. He was planning on planting some rubber trees as a bit of an investment. But seeing the increase in nurseries was wandering if teak or palm oil maybe a better investment. Any ideas. I said i"d google it but not much luck so would anyone here recommend what would be best for him?

Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Teak long term, but land must be charnote, each tree registered and when it come time to sell you can only sell to furniture makers in Thailand. Law forbids the export of raw teak lumber.

Palm oil needs lots of water, rubber not so much.

What ever you recommend will be disregarded, but you will be blamed if what he plants fails.

Tell him to go to the local agriculture department for advice as you are not a farmer. Jim

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, with the Teak Trees ...

We all know how resourceful Thai folk are and this, combined with the fact that that neighbourly borders mean naught to them ( ... mindful how good they are in the dark armed only with a car battery) ... what are the thoughts about waiting many a year while those wonderful Teak Trees grow ... only to have someone else harvest them before you do?

Did I say that tactfully?

We all know how resourceful Thai folk are and this, combined with the fact that that neighbourly borders mean naught to them ( ... mindful how good they are in the dark armed only with a car battery) ... what are the thoughts about waiting many a year while those wonderful Teak Trees grow ... only to have someone else harvest them before you do?

Know an old Thai guy, used to be an aircraft engineer, planted teak many years age for his retirement. Now lives on the plantation, carries a 38 S and W, has had 2 exchanges of gun fire in 5 years and untold attempts to steal trees in the night. Where there is easy money and little chance of being caught people will try. Jim

Know an old Thai guy, used to be an aircraft engineer, planted teak many years age for his retirement. Now lives on the plantation, carries a 38 S and W, has had 2 exchanges of gun fire in 5 years and untold attempts to steal trees in the night. Where there is easy money and little chance of being caught people will try. Jim

Would/could he sell one or two to me legally? I love working with that timber. Survived on furniture making here for a number of years and used to live near the two Timber Sois off KrungThep Nonthaburi Road. What an Aladdin's cave that was! Whenever possible is was in teak. Haven't been able to find a source in Isaan anywhere.

Would/could he sell one or two to me legally? I love working with that timber. Survived on furniture making here for a number of years and used to live near the two Timber Sois off KrungThep Nonthaburi Road. What an Aladdin's cave that was! Whenever possible is was in teak. Haven't been able to find a source in Isaan anywhere.

To be honest don't know if you can buy teak if you are not a licensed furniture maker. All our tables and my new 4 poster bed are teak, but they can never leave the village. Same goes for whole teak stilt houses, offered one for 40,000 Baht, but no one would chance moving the wood 5 km. Very strict around here on lumber, get caught with out the right paper and off to jail. Can't give a bit of grease to the local cops to look the other way as you may get stopped by forestry or border soldiers and who know what others cops are waiting. Jim