Pros And Cons Of Thai Massage...

Chittychangchang

I've had half a dozen authentic Thai massages.

The first two was when i had a few hours to kill, i was dubious because of the sterio-typing in farangland.

However i felt during the experience that my body was being taken apart and put back together.

This 3 hours cured a 10 year back problem, fantastic!

I had a sports injury a few weeks later to my calfs and same again cured!

The last one i had up north was by this old dear who called herself a "doctor", the massage was more like an hour of chinese burns, terrible.

What sort of qualifications do these massagers need?

What experiences have you had with authentic Thai massages?

Do you think they are medically beneficial?

Regards

CCC

A nearby short soi, entrance to a temple, has dozens of little traditional Thai massage shops has gone from B40 up to B60 per hour over the years - outrageous! 8-)

The local crippled elderly flock there all day long, the place is shut up tight as a drum by 7 or 8pm, not a happy ending in sight but many painfully afflicted are genuinely helped, sometimes what seems miraculously so. BTW Never expect to get a good therapeutic massage from the same girl, or even the same place where they do give happy endings, and in most cases vice-versa as well. In fact at the best genuine places you would never be tempted 8-)

One Ajarn is a famous healer, takes on student apprentices for a low fixed price, they usually work with her for 3-6 months, all the girls practice on each other when business is slack, I've heard many shop proprietors reckon her graduates are actually better than those that attend the "official" certification programmes, the most famous of which is run out of Wat Pho, which different courses are only a few weeks long and IMO very expensive.

However the latter bits of paper are needed for those who want to work in the high-end hotels and spas, and many overseas jurisdictions. My sister in law has set up shop with one in a Scandinavian country and does pretty well, lots of Thai wives in her community now getting on in years and also many westerners are coming around to the ancient wisdom of eastern medicine as safer and often more effective than the big-pharma dominated pseudo-science of "modern" medicine.

Personally I find it often too painful when I haven't been for a while, but like Yoga once the body's been worked on regularly for a while the reduced musculoskeletal tension makes it much more bearable.

And once the soreness wears off yes it does feel great even if you don't have an explicit problem, I do believe it's a great body maintenance tools, but obviously not without good diet exercise etc as well.

• Like 1

father in law takes me to his local massage place which have only blind masseurs.

they all trained at Wat Pho and actually give the best massages i've had in Thailand.

the premises are very dank, had ants crawling over my pillow 1 time though. Also very cheap for Bangkok.

• Like 1

father in law takes me to his local massage place which have only blind masseurs.

they all trained at Wat Pho and actually give the best massages i've had in Thailand.

the premises are very dank, had ants crawling over my pillow 1 time though. Also very cheap for Bangkok.

And you can make faces at them and move their stuff around...

• Like 2

And you can make faces at them and move their stuff around...

What a big foot you have.

That's not my foot.

Personally , I think anything more than any light superficial stuff is highly dangerous and could cause severe problems.

No contra-indications to treatment are asked, no general conversation about any issues prior or present, pressure directly on the spine,wouldnt catch me anywhere near one, I like the ability to walk and move freely. That might sound like an exaggeration, but in the wrong untrained hands, you could be seriously injured or even crippled.

• Like 1

I have had many Thai and foot massages, where i live there are not many places for oil massage. Its a bit hit and miss. Depends on the girl and how tired she is. Anyway i have never been cured of anything. At one point my neck was locked by RSI and moving was painful. Many massages later still no joy, went to the Dr got muscle relaxants and got massaged with ultrasound. Even that took weeks but in the end it went away.

I am a bit skeptical about how good they actually are but i still like them. I prefer the foot massages though. I am a special case though because my muscles are real tight (probably from working out) I hear them talking about that all the time and try to loosen up area's that just can't be loosened up and are all fine. Maybe if you work out a lot things get more tensed / tight as the average person. (nothing that bothers or hurts me).

Foot massages same thing hit and miss some girls seem to massage too light, even if i ask for a harder massage and others do it just right. Problem is that many of the girls rotate quite a bit so hard to get the same girl. Talking here about proper massages where there certainly is no happy ending available.

• Like 1

Personally , I think anything more than any light superficial stuff is highly dangerous and could cause severe problems.

No contra-indications to treatment are asked, no general conversation about any issues prior or present, pressure directly on the spine,wouldnt catch me anywhere near one, I like the ability to walk and move freely. That might sound like an exaggeration, but in the wrong untrained hands, you could be seriously injured or even crippled.

All very true but probably more rarely and less seriously than "unforeseen consequences" occur in modern "scientific" medicine.

Surgeons make mistakes all the time, but it was the anesthesiologists my ex-wife the nurse who worked in that environment used to tell the real horror stories about.

They're just better at covering their tracks. . .

Problem is that many of the girls rotate quite a bit so hard to get the same girl.

Get to know them and keep in touch they're happy to keep steady customers when they move to a new place.

I used to arrange for early-morning or after-hours home visits, not through the business (expensive!) but directly with the lady.

Just make sure they understand your intentions are honorable 8-)

I have had many Thai and foot massages, where i live there are not many places for oil massage. Its a bit hit and miss. Depends on the girl and how tired she is. Anyway i have never been cured of anything. At one point my neck was locked by RSI and moving was painful. Many massages later still no joy, went to the Dr got muscle relaxants and got massaged with ultrasound. Even that took weeks but in the end it went away.

I am a bit skeptical about how good they actually are but i still like them. I prefer the foot massages though. I am a special case though because my muscles are real tight (probably from working out) I hear them talking about that all the time and try to loosen up area's that just can't be loosened up and are all fine. Maybe if you work out a lot things get more tensed / tight as the average person. (nothing that bothers or hurts me).

Foot massages same thing hit and miss some girls seem to massage too light, even if i ask for a harder massage and others do it just right. Problem is that many of the girls rotate quite a bit so hard to get the same girl. Talking here about proper massages where there certainly is no happy ending available.

Heavier muscles and more dense muscle fibre from working out requires a totally different technique and approach than the "Thai" massage.

If you had a proper massage with appropriate technique from a qualified professional you would know exactly what I mean.

Heavier muscles and more dense muscle fibre from working out requires a totally different technique and approach than the "Thai" massage.

If you had a proper massage with appropriate technique from a qualified professional you would know exactly what I mean.

I think you are right because they are always talking about it and it never feels really right for me. That is part of the reason why i prefer a foot massage over a Thai massage. Always remarks about why everything is so tight / tensed. While i am perfectly relaxed and have no problems / injuries. Because there are no oil massages available i usually go for a foot massage, i enjoy most of those.

And I never had a real massage from a real professional with experience about guys with a bit more muscle. Did see it on a workout video once. But that was a foreigner and not in Thailand.

But truth be told, i don't go to the places to treat injuries. Just to relax a bit after shopping or after a day of hard working and i just take a foot massage, because the Thai massages just don't do it for me.

The best massages I've had were from qualified physiotherapists who have to learn about massage / traditional therapy as part of their training. I've only ever come across the fully fledged physiotherapist ones and I have heard from other sources (not from the physios themselves) that the ones in the small rural government hospitals are usually just masseurs who only have done the massage therapy module/diploma as opposed to the whole physiotherapy degree; I haven't had the opportunity to verify this.

They can be found in government hospitals and some have set up shop privately.

Prices range from about 300 - 700 per session (session time varies because overwork risks damaging certain muscles and ligaments), but then you are being worked on by a trained professional with a medical understanding of anatomy.

I think you are right because they are always talking about it and it never feels really right for me. That is part of the reason why i prefer a foot massage over a Thai massage. Always remarks about why everything is so tight / tensed. While i am perfectly relaxed and have no problems / injuries. Because there are no oil massages available i usually go for a foot massage, i enjoy most of those.

And I never had a real massage from a real professional with experience about guys with a bit more muscle. Did see it on a workout video once. But that was a foreigner and not in Thailand.

But truth be told, i don't go to the places to treat injuries. Just to relax a bit after shopping or after a day of hard working and i just take a foot massage, because the Thai massages just don't do it for me.

No you wouldnt use Thai massage to treat an injury, thats exactly the issue I have been talking about, you go to these places and they work on your body with no actual professional training in anatomy and they could actually do you harm. Remeber the first oath of ANY medical professional "first DO NO HARM" and without correct training they have no idea what "harm" they could be doing.

The "soothing" oil soft massage is nothing and is purely just stroking, a feel good factor, and not much more and wouldnt in most cases causes any problems. BUT the twisting, standing rotation, of joints etc involved in Thai massage can be extremely dangereous in the wrong hands. Copying someone is not the way to learn, and thats what most of them do, just copy there friend and have no idea of the working of the anatomy underneath. Its not enough to know HOW to do something you need to know WHY you are doing it and what exactly will be the effect. Anyone with any sense would do a simple warm up before any physical ativity, yet people walk into these places, and get the limbs and joints rotated and bent into every direction from cold, and wonder why they are hurt so much later. Probably because of the torn fibres and damage to the joints from exertion caused by wrongful manipulation into directions they havent moved in for years if at all.

Edited by CharlieH

No you wouldnt use Thai massage to treat an injury, thats exactly the issue I have been talking about, you go to these places and they work on your body with no actual professional training in anatomy and they could actually do you harm. Remeber the first oath of ANY medical professional "first DO NO HARM" and without correct training they have no idea what "harm" they could be doing.

The "soothing" oil soft massage is nothing and is purely just stroking and not much more and wouldnt in most cases causes any problems. BUT the twisting standing rotation of joints etc involved in Thai massage can be extremely dangereous in the wrong hands. Copying someone is not the way to learn, and thats what most of them do, just copy there friend and have no idea of the working of the anatomy underneath. Its not enough to know HOW to do something you need to know WHY you are doing it and what exactly will be the effect.

I agree with you, problem is the standard of education here. Plus the price, if you want better quality it is going to cost you more. But here in Thailand price does not always mean quality. Going to a more expensive place does not grantee much. Problem is that either grades / certificates can be bought and the level of education is not that high. But that is just the way it is here, else prices would go up. I for one am often willing to pay more for better quality (in most things)

Because there are no oil massages available

May not apply to you Rob but others may be interested.

There's a per hour place around the corner from me that is more happy-ending oriented but not a soapie, some of the older fugly ladies are properly trained and give a decent massage.

I just bring a small bottle of oil with me and give little tips not only to the moh nuat but also to the maids for the extra laundry work, two full hours for under B350 all up, can order in food and drinks if you like as well but have to tell them to turn the dam_n TV off.

Happy ending just another B100 if you like bit more for full service, but not good value from my POV.

The "soothing" oil soft massage is nothing and is purely just stroking, a feel good factor, and not much more and wouldnt in most cases causes any problems. BUT the twisting, standing rotation, of joints etc involved in Thai massage can be extremely dangereous in the wrong hands. Copying someone is not the way to learn, and thats what most of them do, just copy there friend and have no idea of the working of the anatomy underneath. Its not enough to know HOW to do something you need to know WHY you are doing it and what exactly will be the effect. Anyone with any sense would do a simple warm up before any physical ativity, yet people walk into these places, and get the limbs and joints rotated and bent into every direction from cold, and wonder why they are hurt so much later. Probably because of the torn fibres and damage to the joints from exertion caused by wrongful manipulation into directions they havent moved in for years if at all.

You may well be right in general, absolutely true about education and lack of proper standards, but IMO an overly cautious view where there isn't injury involved,

The main point I want to make is that the practice itself can be very effective in the right hands, and in my experience those aren't so hard to find, certainly easier than finding a good electrician here.

Living on that soi over a period of four years I have seen dozens of elderly nearly crippled people go through 2-3 weeks of regular sessions restored to full mobility and much less discomfort from nothing but traditional Thai massage.

So all your cautions are well and good within some contexts, but please don't imply the discipline itself doesn't have genuine therapeutic benefits or is any more dangerous than your average visit to a modern hospital.

• Like 1

You may well be right in general, absolutely true about education and lack of proper standards, but IMO an overly cautious view where there isn't injury involved,

The main point I want to make is that the practice itself can be very effective in the right hands, and in my experience those aren't so hard to find, certainly easier than finding a good electrician here.

Living on that soi over a period of four years I have seen dozens of elderly nearly crippled people go through 2-3 weeks of regular sessions restored to full mobility and much less discomfort from nothing but traditional Thai massage.

So all your cautions are well and good within some contexts, but please don't imply the discipline itself doesn't have genuine therapeutic benefits or is any more dangerous than your average visit to a modern hospital.

That one move where they cut off the blood to a main artery has always scared me. Any medical opinions on that?

Because there are no oil massages available

May not apply to you Rob but others may be interested.

There's a per hour place around the corner from me that is more happy-ending oriented but not a soapie, some of the older fugly ladies are properly trained and give a decent massage.

I just bring a small bottle of oil with me and give little tips not only to the moh nuat but also to the maids for the extra laundry work, two full hours for under B350 all up, can order in food and drinks if you like as well but have to tell them to turn the dam_n TV off.

Happy ending just another B100 if you like bit more for full service, but not good value from my POV.

Sometimes i get a massage with some of the tigerbalm, that is ok but i would not advise that for happy ending style biggrin.png

That one move where they cut off the blood to a main artery has always scared me. Any medical opinions on that?

I always thought it was just to give you the sensation of them doing high tech stuff. I usually ignore it.

I have gone to a renown, professional Thai massage therapist once a week for many years. I have arthritis in my wrists and it helps quite a bit with the pain. However, if I stop going, the pain returns quickly. I am very skeptical of Thai massage "curing" anything.

• Like 1

Femoral artery.

Supposed to relax the muscles by lowering the blood pressure for a minute or so, then flooding it with "fresh" blood.

Not saying that element is good or bad, maybe best to let them know not do if you have a heart condition.

I am very skeptical of Thai massage "curing" anything.

But symptom relief and higher levels of functioning are valid goals aren't they.

Truly scientific medical professionals will be the first to admit the huge areas of ignorance of our current state of knowledge, the incredibly fraudulent levels of influence of big pharma dollars on what kind of issues are even researched in the first place, and the very large numbers of people damaged and killed by modern practices.

"Do no harm" like all idealistic principles often is suborned by the socially sanctioned greed for wealth now endemic to all levels of our society.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

My wife & I use to enjoy massages on our visits.

But they were in Bangkok & seemed very professional.

Asked about degree of massage wanted & if any prior or

current injuries existed.

Since moving here to CM we went a couple times

& was more hurt then helped by the heavy techniques.

One larger lady kept leaning & bouncing down on my shoulders while I was

in a sitting position till something went clunk then she laughed & I think she felt

that was a good result. I kept thinking about that as I hobbled through the next few days smile.png

My wife after one massage could not turn her head properly for weeks.

Happy to say we both recovered.

I am sure there are probably good ones & bad ones out there.

I am also sure many help folks deal with pains caused by injuries.

Not sure if it is the same as a cure of the root cause though.

I do realize now that in the wrong hands you can be injured though.

So that has put me off massages these days. If I find through referrals

one that is "safe" I will probably go from time to time. As the good ones

we use to get left you very relaxed & limber.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Femoral artery.

Supposed to relax the muscles by lowering the blood pressure for a minute or so, then flooding it with "fresh" blood.

Not saying that element is good or bad, maybe best to let them know not do if you have a heart condition.

But symptom relief and higher levels of functioning are valid goals aren't they.

Truly scientific medical professionals will be the first to admit the huge areas of ignorance of our current state of knowledge, the incredibly fraudulent levels of influence of big pharma dollars on what kind of issues are even researched in the first place, and the very large numbers of people damaged and killed by modern practices.

"Do no harm" like all idealistic principles often is suborned by the socially sanctioned greed for wealth now endemic to all levels of our society.

I believe pain relief is great its better as nothing.. and i think BigJ makes a valid point about big pharma not wanting to cure certain things but just suppress the symptoms as it is more profitable. I am not totally paranoid that they would, stop cures of aids or other diseases just to make more of their current medicine. But i am sure that smaller scale thing do happen for profit maximization.

BigJ makes a valid point about big pharma not wanting to cure certain things but just suppress the symptoms as it is more profitable. I am not totally paranoid that they would, stop cures of aids or other diseases just to make more of their current medicine. But i am sure that smaller scale thing do happen for profit maximization.

Wasn't saying that, though I wouldn't put it past them.

But scientific research funded by interested parties is rarely truly objective, for example they can get very selective in their population sampling.

And less and less research is funded by government or other disinterested parties.

Even less towards preventative and alternative health practices that don't have potential for corporate profits, just no career in it for any scientist that has to pay the rent.

If there were a trusted worldwide organization for traditional medical practices and every practitioner chipped in say 10% of their income, I'm sure we'd have a large body of scientific proof for results that are currently only supported by "anecdotal evidence".

And I'm sure a lot of it would prove to be hogwash as well, but not any more and certainly less dangerous than the hogwash around high-tech and chemistry-based cures in modern medicine.

Femoral artery.

Do you even know where the femoral artery is and what is does ? it would appear not as your explanation is utter nonsense, you dont lower someones blood pressure by applying pressure to a main artery !!!

To save you looking it up, its feeds the lower extremeties of the body from approx the waist down. and the "fresh blood" comment is absurd unless they happen to be in the middle of a blood transfusion.

Edited by CharlieH

Do you even know where the femoral artery is and what is does ? it would appear not as your explanation is utter nonsense, you dont lower someones blood pressure by applying pressure to a main artery !!!

To save you looking it up, its feeds the lower extremeties of the body from approx the waist down. and the "fresh blood" comment is absurd unless they happen to be in the middle of a blood transfusion.

Sure I do and that's exactly where they are stopping your blood supply, what artery do you think it is?

I was just giving their supposed rationale for the practice, specifically stated that I wasn't taking any position about its validity, and finally, also went to the trouble of pointing out a possible danger for those with contraindications.

Please read more carefully before you post so indignantly.