Phuket Officials Order Airport Taxi Touts: Stop Harassing Tourists

webfact

Phuket officials order airport taxi touts: 'Stop harassing tourists'

Phuket Gazette

t1.jpeg

Taxi touts at Phuket Airport stalk the exit of the arrivals hall, ready to pounce on tourists who have yet to gain even a glimpse of Phuket. Image: Phuket Airport CCTV

t2.jpeg

A lone tourist is approached by two taxi touts in the hope they can pressure her into using their service. Image: Phuket Airport CCTV

PHUKET: -- Taxi touts at Phuket International Airport have been told to stop following and harassing tourists arriving at the airport, and to stay at their own counters.

The news came at a meeting at the airport administrative office yesterday morning, called by Phuket Airport Director Prathuang Sornkham.

Present to oversee the proceedings was Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada, who called for taxi touts to stop following tourists through the terminal.

“We don’t want them [tourists] feeling uncomfortable and annoyed,” he said.

“Taxi operators already have their own counters both inside and outside the terminal, as per the agreement with the airport, so they do not need to walk around and pick on passengers who have just walked out of the arrivals hall,” added V/Gov Chamroen.

Airport Director Prathuang pointed out, “We keep asking them not to do this, but some taxi representatives just keep on doing it. We will have to enforce the regulations in order to make them comply.”

V/Gov suggested that offenders first be issued a warning letter, before sterner action is taken against them for their tactics.

According to airport information, there are currently four taxi counters scattered throughout the terminal and another five counters located next to the exit doors.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19445.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-14

• Like 1

Touts are ready to scam recent arrivals in tourist areas the world over. It's smart to arrange transportation and a first night's stay in advance - or at least be sure you know how to do this on arrival. Of course, the people who get scammed don't prepare in advance and therefore won't be reading this, so I'm preaching to the choir.

I hate the feeling I get when being approached, then followed at a 2 foot distance, with some bastard saying "taxi, taxi, taxi, taxi, you, taxi, you go downtown. Where you go? Where you go? Taxi, Taxi, Taxi.

I really hate that. I always have ground transport arranged when flying into Phuket.

But this kind of thing happens at many airports I find myself. It really is annoying as hell.

• Like 1

What on earth are taxi staff and booths doing inside the terminal to begin with? Simple solution is to kick them out of the terminal and let them wait for the passengers in an orderly taxi queue outside the terminal. This works in Bangkok and it works in most airports around the world. Why are Phuket and for that matter Samui taxis given so much power?

• Like 1

There are usually guards at all entrances to an airport. A simple approach would be to make sure that everyone who enters either have a valid ticket (travellers) or a valid ID issued by the airport (for authorized personel). If taxi stands are needed inside the airport, then the staff there should first apply for an ID, and if they are found to violate the rules once they get it, then simply revoke their ID - problem solved.

If you are a tourist arriving in Phuket for the very first time, it would not hurt the price of the taxi ride, to ask at multiple counters.

However the illusion of a cheap taxi ride is impossible to maintain in Phuket.

Avoid them like the black plauge I say. All Phuket taxis. !

What I'm wondering about:

How many faces does the airport leaders have? Only this year, the 'boss' lost 3 of them, methinks.

And only with 'ordering the touts, to wait outside the building' 'no touts at all' statements!

Since hundreds of potential first-time Phuket guests will be reading this - anyone have some advice on what transport to take when arriving in Phuket?

Assuming one doesn't want to rent a car that is.

Yes, would be great for someone to post this.

I don't know but I have heard a rumor there is actually a metered taxi queue somewhere at Phuket airport? I have heard they are the cheapest.

Touts are ready to scam recent arrivals in tourist areas the world over.

The world over? Not really. If you did this in a developed country you'd be arrested. In Australia taxi drivers at airports are not even allowed to exit their cars.

Edited by ydraw

What on earth are taxi staff and booths doing inside the terminal to begin with? Simple solution is to kick them out of the terminal and let them wait for the passengers in an orderly taxi queue outside the terminal. This works in Bangkok and it works in most airports around the world. Why are Phuket and for that matter Samui taxis given so much power?

Simple really..because the powers to be are the same ones who run the majority of the tourist trade on the island...Why on earth would they want to s..t in their own nest?

There are usually guards at all entrances to an airport. A simple approach would be to make sure that everyone who enters either have a valid ticket (travellers) or a valid ID issued by the airport (for authorized personel). If taxi stands are needed inside the airport, then the staff there should first apply for an ID, and if they are found to violate the rules once they get it, then simply revoke their ID - problem solved.

So people collecting friends/family have to wait outside with the touts? Not very friendly.

Walk out the exit....outside.... turn right and walk to the end......metered taxis await....surcharge applies, but still the cheapest way....the staff at the counter usually give you an idea on how much the trip should cost

Exactly correct. That is what I do when I leave my car at home to save the high cost of the airport car park.

Walk out the exit....outside.... turn right and walk to the end......metered taxis await....surcharge applies, but still the cheapest way....the staff at the counter usually give you an idea on how much the trip should cost

Exactly correct. That is what I do when I leave my car at home to save the high cost of the airport car park.

To avoid touts, in case of 'coming international', walk simple to the domestic exit INSIDE the arrival area. They don't bother there, mostly!

The reason this continues, is that the taxi mafia is more powerful than either the police, or the government. If enforcement takes place, the officials end up dead. So, who is going to enforce anything? In Samui the taxi mafia has been a blight on the island for decades. Nobody does a thing. Many, many tourists are heard saying they will never return to Samui, due to the taxis. They charge 300 baht for a 1 km. trip. They are scum of the earth. Absolute parasites. Will anything ever get done? Probably not. It is the governments responsibility to imprison the taxi association directors, and then start impounding the taxis who do not follow the laws, and imposing enormous fines on the drivers. Will that ever happen? Very, very few of us have any faith that we will ever see real improvement on the forgotten island of Samui. The lawlessness continues, and the impotent police, mayor, and sheriff do absolutely nothing about it.

• Like 1

Since hundreds of potential first-time Phuket guests will be reading this - anyone have some advice on what transport to take when arriving in Phuket?

You might ask your hotel if they can arrange a reliable airport pickup for you. I visited Phuket for the first time this July. Stayed at a hotel that hotel that included an airport pickup if you were staying at least three nights. Worked fine. The plane was late landing because of weather (thunderstorm) over the airport. Even so, the guy was there waiting for me.

I ran across the website of one hotel on Phuket that insist that they arrange your airport pickup if you reserve a room with them. They have had so many of their guests arrive at the airport, get a taxi and then be told by the taxi that their hotel is now closed, burnt down, and so on. And the taxi driver just happens to know of a really nice hotel for them! Even some that threatened the passengers.

Make sure they put the meter on, do not accept the fixed fare, it is rip off, also make sure the meter is zeroed.

There are also shared minibuses at the front of the airport, these are only B150 per person.

bla bla bla bla ..... for so many years now...

This will never end and you know why?

1. the taxi fares which have officially been set are way too high (compared to other regions in Thailand)

2. scams are supported by the police (just try to declare a scam... just try...)

3. Province officials are all corrupt.

If fare-competiton is open again, taxi fares should drop by at least 50% (and then they are still more expensive than their colleagues in Bangkok)!

It is still rewarding to stalk tourists when they arrive for the "discounted" price they can get. Anyone can drive the tourists much cheaper to the city or to Pathong than the officially announced (and officially declared) tariff in the police stations (because they are colluding with the taxi and tuk-tuk maffia) and still gain enough for making his day.

Phuket is a lost place for tourism. No one can save it anymore... It's an Augias stable that no one can clean anymore. Thaksin put the corrupt cattle there and it's not his sister that will clean this mess...

When you get exit the first set of doors, keep walking straight until you're outside the airport. You'll see counters of van companies stating the set prices to various places. Patong, for example, costs 150 Baht.

Otherwise for the bus, once you're outside turn left, and walk straight till you reach a set of seats and an orange sign that says "Airport Bus". You can get the bus to Phuket Town for 90 Baht, for example.

For a cab, turn right when you exit, and walk all the way straight till you reach counter that says "Metered Taxi". A taxi to Phuket Town should cost you 400 Baht (though they'll probably cite you 500 first).

Edited by Chads

Man i must have walked by the same Indian tailors everyday for 6 months and they still harrased me and would walk with me for a good while pressuring me to buy a suit !

Maybe the think you need a suit have you got anything on at all when this happens -8)