What's Going On ? Plates Again.

arthurwait

My wife has just informed me that we need to get the white plates to process the 100,000 thb cash back - which ... has to be put in before years' end.

I can already visualise the upcoming battle for the 100,000

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has just informed me that we need to get the white plates to process the 100,000 thb cash back - which ... has to be put in before years' end.

And where did your wife get that information?

It's on the Thai website.

If you registered your car from 16th Sept 2011 to Nov 2012 you have to send in your documents which include number plate details before 31 Dec 2012. If you got your car just recently then you have 90 days.

I must confess that I'm doing this from memory and was only interested in our own situation of buying a new car in October of which we are still on a red plate!

Edited by 2unique

• 4 weeks later...

It's on the Thai website.

If you registered your car from 16th Sept 2011 to Nov 2012 you have to send in your documents which include number plate details before 31 Dec 2012. If you got your car just recently then you have 90 days.

I must confess that I'm doing this from memory and was only interested in our own situation of buying a new car in October of which we are still on a red plate!

What happened?

8 Months on and still no white plates.

I was stopped by the bib over the New Year and he was surprised to see the date in the book.

I hassled them on Wed, but the usual "no not yet, will check'.

If it is true that the car is only registered when the plates arrive, it looks like my 2011 build will be marked as a 2012 sale.?

My white plates still not arrived after 5 months . We do have the nr it is supposed to be , but the dealer we called yesterday said they still weren't there yet . No red plates here , so driving around without plates whatsoever .

We picked our Honda up on 19th June last year and we're still waiting now and driving with no plates.

Not really sure why there's a problem. In the UK you can get replacement plates while you wait and new cars always have plates when you pick them up. This was the case even when there was an incentive scheme to increase car sales. I would assume most western countries are the same.

Number plate details are already in your car registration book, you don't need the physical plates.

Number plate details are already in your car registration book, you don't need the physical plates.

That's what I thought as well,so I'm hoping he gives us an update on what happened.

Hi there

I'm picking up a new car from the dealer next week.

Regarding the red plate - none available due to new car scheme last year - He said no problem will get a covering letter for bib, asked him about getting money (5000bhat or so) when white plates arrive - he said that they don't give a rebate!

Now, I'm pretty sure that I was reimbursed back in 2007 when I bought my present vehicle, also, I think I read on this thread that someone mentioned getting the red plate fee back, (too many posts to trawl through to find which post, sorry)

As for driving out of Province and at night - he said that you can get a covering letter from I presume DLT office - costs in the region of 2500 Baht.

What's this about filling in the log whilst on red/no plate - Is this for travelling out of Province?

Tks for the info.

banK

Hi there

Regarding the red plate - none available due to new car scheme last year - He said no problem will get a covering letter for bib, asked him about getting money (5000bhat or so) when white plates arrive - he said that they don't give a rebate!

Why would they give you a rebate, you leave a deposit for the red plates and it is returned when you return them. If they do not give you red plates you should not be leaving a deposit for them.

• Like 1

Who provides and what is this log book?

Just got a new car on red plates and no sign or mention of one.

You should have been given a Log Book (by the dealer) with the Red Plates ... you are supposed to fill in the log book for each journey. You can ... but it's illegal to ... use a pencil and rub out bits of the the last logged journey ... saves using the book up and filling in a whole line every time. The BIB can ask to see this log and I guess a fine if it's not completed for that journey ... I have never been asked to produce that log book.

Edited by JAS21

Hi there

Why would they give you a rebate, you leave a deposit for the red plates and it is returned when you return them. If they do not give you red plates you should not be leaving a deposit for them.

A couple of questions as I am a bit confused on this red plate business.

1. If they do not have any available due to government scheme last year, then no additional fee is charged for the use of red plates, obvious really. OR does a new car without the plates still attract a fee.

What I'm getting at is whether the fee is for the loan of the physical plates and when returned you get your money back.

2. When does the car have to have the tax disc, in the intrim period of red plate is the tax exempt. If so, when the white plate arrives do you at that point go and pay for the tax disc.

The dealer is paying insurance for the first year, what normally happens on insurance renewal the tax portion of the insurance docs is there and you then get the tax disc.

So, if you have the insurance docs and still on red plate at what point do you go and get the vehicle taxed.

I hope you understand the questions - having read it myself the questions dont seem too clearwhistling.gif

1. If they do not have any available due to government scheme last year, then no additional fee is charged for the use of red plates, obvious really. OR does a new car without the plates still attract a fee.

What I'm getting at is whether the fee is for the loan of the physical plates and when returned you get your money back.

The fee is for the loan of the red plates ..so if not loaned then no fee ... however the fee may have been charged when you paid for the vehicle ... I paid my fee when i paid for the car and got the money back when I got the white plates.

2. When does the car have to have the tax disc, in the intrim period of red plate is the tax exempt. If so, when the white plate arrives do you at that point go and pay for the tax disc.

The tax disc came when we got the Blue Book and in our case that was before we got the white plates as there was a backlog for white plates. We were stopped onch as well out of our province ... just showed the Blue Book and were then waved on.

The dealer is paying insurance for the first year, what normally happens on insurance renewal the tax portion of the insurance docs is there and you then get the tax disc.

So, if you have the insurance docs and still on red plate at what point do you go and get the vehicle taxed.

The dealer paid my insurance ... I don't know but expect I will get a renewal notice and pay it. I now have white plated so will just take the Blue Book to the Local Tax Place.

You need to ask the dealer for the Blue Book ...he can't get the car taxed UNTIL he has paid for it and won't get the Blue Book until he taxes it. Remember the dealer uses your money to finance his business until he pays for the car!! Some dealers hang on as long as they can ... chase him up. If he doesn't speak english then you need someone who speaks thai AND understands the proceedure

Hope this helps

That's what I thought as well,so I'm hoping he gives us an update on what happened.

Apologies this thread never updated in my participated list.

While away in Laos the wife got a call from the showroom on christmas eve saying the docs were there but not the plates.

She collected the docs and submitted to the excise department as they have no way of knowing whether the plates are physically attached.

She also noted many of the claimants had no idea what make or model "their" car was!

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

• Like 1

Apologies this thread never updated in my participated list.

While away in Laos the wife got a call from the showroom on christmas eve saying the docs were there but not the plates.

She collected the docs and submitted to the excise department as they have no way of knowing whether the plates are physically attached.

She also noted many of the claimants had no idea what make or model "their" car was!

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Thanks for the update.

So as usual it was a lot less strict than it looked, and the panic for not 100% adhering to the rules was not necessary. As is usual here of course :)

Thanks for the update.

So as usual it was a lot less strict than it looked, and the panic for not 100% adhering to the rules was not necessary. As is usual here of course smile.png

haha yeah as per usual - my wife always wonders why I rush to complete paperwork and documents as well as triple checking every detail and cross examining her every step of the way!

That said we did get the docs submitted prior to the end of year purported deadline...

The fee is for the loan of the red plates ..so if not loaned then no fee ... however the fee may have been charged when you paid for the vehicle ... I paid my fee when i paid for the car and got the money back when I got the white plates.

The tax disc came when we got the Blue Book and in our case that was before we got the white plates as there was a backlog for white plates. We were stopped onch as well out of our province ... just showed the Blue Book and were then waved on.

The dealer paid my insurance ... I don't know but expect I will get a renewal notice and pay it. I now have white plated so will just take the Blue Book to the Local Tax Place.

You need to ask the dealer for the Blue Book ...he can't get the car taxed UNTIL he has paid for it and won't get the Blue Book until he taxes it. Remember the dealer uses your money to finance his business until he pays for the car!! Some dealers hang on as long as they can ... chase him up. If he doesn't speak english then you need someone who speaks thai AND understands the proceedure

Hope this helps

Tks for that info JAS - appreciate the info.

Just to clarify - until I have the Blue Book the car cannot be taxed - when ordering car, various extras were added by me, for which I will pay for and one on the list to pay, as far as I can gather, was "TAX" cost 5000 baht, of course all written in Thai. If this is true then the dealer should buy the tax and then give me the blue book. Very conveluted way of buying a car ....Bless em.....blink.png

Hi:

I bouth an *Isuzzu MU7* and only tocks me 5 days to get the white plates, after that I went for Auction because I chaged to the *Nice Coloured Plates* and for the change of the plates, only tocks me 3 days.

I spoke with the officer and she told me that If I do by myself it only tocks 3 to 5 days, but If I give to some one, never know how log.

In my persoinal experiencie, better everything you do it by yourself (fast & cheap.)

Yesterday I make my Pasport & Permit for my car to go: Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar,.......... (50 & 25 bath & les than 2 hours to make all), for recibe the International Plates (in english), only 15 days (200 bath). (I don´t know how much will cost if you give to an agent to do it ?)

It´s the same when you want to make the White Plates.

Sandra

I got the car.

I got the motor bike.

Both dealers told me 45 days to wait for the number plate and the book.

I said not acceptable, need the car to go to Lao next week.

Oh wonder.......

Got a copy from the paperwork from the sale of the factory to the dealer.

Went to the Land Transport Office.

Car was checked and controlled, some additional paperwork was supplied.

And guess?

Came in the morning, was ready in the afternoon.

Got the book, got the numberplates, got the legal insurance, total cost 1722 baht, including the purple book for Lao

Did the same witht he motorbike.

One day service.

Like one of the posters said, the dealer plays with your money.

Just tell him/her you need the plates urgently, can not wait, need to go abroad.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my previous posts

Told garage would look after getting tax myself. Consequently, after 1 week of buying the car the garage supplied me with all the necessary paper work to go and tax the car at the local Khon Kaen transport place.

Came out of there with everything as per regulations except for the actual physical white plates. Although have the tax disc with the white plate number inscribed on it, that will be supplied by Bangkok. They said to phone in a couple of weeks to see if the plates have arrived.

So have the blue book and tax disc and the insurance docs with the manufacturers car number on these docs (next year they will produce the insurance docs with the already supplied number for the white plate).

Am currently running around without any plates as the garage did not have any red plates available.

Bank