Diesel Pickup Truck Economy Champion

Gary A

Isuzu held this title for a number of years. Has anyone beat them out of the title? Toyota and Nissan were at the bottom.

How many kilometers per liter are you getting from your truck? Does anyone have the new Chevy 2.8 liter engine?

This should be interesting (though I'm willing to wager that the Isuzu 3.0L diesel will continue to be the reigning champ)! coffee1.gif

Too bad the 'Pickup Truck' segment rules out us SUV owners, otherwise there could be more statistics per engine model. sad.png

To have a more accurate survey, are you going to separate, let's say 'city driving' by the 'type of city' because the fuel economy while driving in some bigger cities rush-hour traffic have more and longer vehicle 'waits' at traffic lights than others, eg., notorious Bangkok vs smaller locales such as Nakhon Sawan or Sukhothai, will be 'different'.

Also, pure highway driving stats: separating the stats that are compiled from totally engaging the more efficient 'Cruise control' from those who don't use it?

Because I live out in the boonies, I would be more interested in the day to day short trips and occasional long trip economy. Our gasoline powered car is much less efficient than the our diesel pickup with overall driving. The diesel pickup still does great on short hops and overall economy.

It depends on the size of the fuel tank. Several years ago I was driving my old Nissan and a friend was following me driving his Toyota. He called my cell phone and said he had 1/8 of a tank left. I had about 1/8 of a tank left too. He wanted to stop for fuel. I filled up and he filled up. He got 11 kilometers per liter and the old Nissan got 15 kilometers per liter. The Toyota a had a bigger tank. Nissan then decided to hop up a 2.5 liter engine with a turbo and the fuel economy dropped down to the same level as the Toyotas. No more Nissans for me.

I consider fuel economy as an example of better engineering and the efficiency tells me which is the better designed vehicle. I am especially interested in the new Chevy designed 2.8 liter diesel.

This should be interesting (though I'm willing to wager that the Isuzu 3.0L diesel will continue to be the reigning champ)!

I have had both 2.5 liters and 3.0 liters, but the 2.5 liters was much more fuel efficient.

Had DMAX 3.0 Litre Automatic for near on 10 years covering a moderate 130,000 Km and keep reasonably accurate records on expenditure. Mostly country driving. Accept for my Car Wash pickup and delivery man I'm the only driver.

9.2 Litres per 100 Km or 30.82 Miles per Imperial gallon.

Edit: Typo

Edited by bdenner

I have both the new Camry 2012 2.5 liter and fortuner 3.0d4d 2011 and Camry beats the fortuner hands down atleast for me. The fortuner averages around 9.9 km/L for mix highway and city driving where as Camry averages 13.5 for 60% city and 40% highway

That's pretty good for a camry! What kind of city driving is this? Where exactly? If you can calculate average speed for city driving, that helps determine whether the fuel economy is good or not. In my area my travels usually average about 30-40 km/h. 20 km/h in heavy traffic with frequent stops.

This should be interesting (though I'm willing to wager that the Isuzu 3.0L diesel will continue to be the reigning champ)!

I have had both 2.5 liters and 3.0 liters, but the 2.5 liters was much more fuel efficient.

Yes. I meant that the Isuzu 3.0L, 'will continue to be the reigning champ' in the 3.0L diesel class.

Had DMAX 3.0 Litre Automatic for near on 10 years covering a moderate 130,000 Km and keep reasonably accurate records on expenditure. Mostly country driving. Accept for my Car Wash pickup and delivery man I'm the only driver.

9.2 Litres per 100 Km or 30.82 Miles per Imperial gallon.

This is about 10.8 km/liter

I have both the new Camry 2012 2.5 liter and fortuner 3.0d4d 2011 and Camry beats the fortuner hands down atleast for me. The fortuner averages around 9.9 km/L for mix highway and city driving where as Camry averages 13.5 for 60% city and 40% highway

The car and pickup vehicles are 2 entirely different beasts and have all type of different variables. I believe the OP specified only pickup truck fuel averages to help keep this survey more narrow and scientific.

That's pretty good for a camry! What kind of city driving is this? Where exactly? If you can calculate average speed for city driving, that helps determine whether the fuel economy is good or not. In my area my travels usually average about 30-40 km/h. 20 km/h in heavy traffic with frequent stops.

I live in sukhumvit-asok area and travel daily to salaya in the morning so yes there is traffic but not as bad as peak hours where the traffic is totally motion less btw I am also surprised its pretty good for a non hybrid variant Camry. Plus it also does 0-100 in 7.8 sec

For last 3 months(from new),I'm averaging 11.5km/L in sub/city driving in CM...that's 2.2 L 4dr XLT Ranger smile.png ..never been on the long trip yet,but that can be significantly lower,I believe..wink.png

..just to add...I'm not exactly the slowest one out there...biggrin.png

Edited by funcat

Well we did an Isuzu Insight finals a few months ago and all the 3L trucks were better than the 2.5L ones ( these being relatively new pickups). However with the new Hi-Lander X series which has overdrive there will be a reversal ... according to Isuzu

I have a mazda 3.2 auto and get 9 ltr/100km that is over 10,000 km since I have had it.

That is about 11.1 km/liter.

Well we did an Isuzu Insight finals a few months ago and all the 3L trucks were better than the 2.5L ones ( these being relatively new pickups). However with the new Hi-Lander X series which has overdrive there will be a reversal ... according to Isuzu

Isuzu 3.0L diesels rock!! lock.gif(- pasa Thai)cheesy.gif

Edited by thailoht

I live in sukhumvit-asok area and travel daily to salaya in the morning so yes there is traffic but not as bad as peak hours where the traffic is totally motion less btw I am also surprised its pretty good for a non hybrid variant Camry. Plus it also does 0-100 in 7.8 sec

That is a good 0-100 time . . . I like Toyota's larger displacement Inline-4's . . . good grunt & sound plus the great fuel economy.

I did 13k/l with the 2.5, 10l/l with the 3.0. Same kind of driving, only difference was the 3.0 was A/T, 2.5 M/T.

The current Thai record for a pickup is held by a Ford Ranger 2.2L 6MT which achieved 20.82 KM/L during a media-stunt drive from BKK to Krabi earlier this year.

The twin-turbo 2.5L D-Max is likely to best that.... whenever Isuzu decide to release it domestically that is... (the twin turbo Euro5 upgraded 2.5L is currently export-only)

I consider fuel economy as an example of better engineering and the efficiency tells me which is the better designed vehicle. I am especially interested in the new Chevy designed 2.8 liter diesel.

There's no established fuel efficiency testing methods in TH, but based on the Australian ADR tests:

Ford Ranger 2.2L 6MT = 13.16 KM/L

Chev Colorado 2.8L 5MT = 12.82 KM/L

Isuzu D-Max 3.0L 5MT = 12.35 KM/L

So the Chev compares well..

Edit: Note that the Colorado's 2.8L is VM Motori designed ;) GM Brazil did design the engine cover and give it revised tuning though (the reference design is actually 200HP/430Nm)

Edited by IMHO

There's no established fuel efficiency testing methods in TH, but based on the Australian ADR tests:

Ford Ranger 2.2L 6MT = 13.16 KM/L

Chev Colorado 2.8L 5MT = 12.82 KM/L

Isuzu D-Max 3.0L 5MT = 12.35 KM/L

So the Chev compares well..

Edit: Note that the Colorado's 2.8L is VM Motori designed ;) GM Brazil did design the engine cover and give it revised tuning though (the reference design is actually 200HP/430Nm)

Add to that a very unscientific finding of 12.82 km/l with my PJS on highway...;) Not a pickup, i know.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Okay, been in the new Isuzu 251 days, and have averaged 122km per day.

Purchase price: THB 922K

Insurance: THB 44K

Window film THB 19K

10K service: THB 1,079

20K service: THB 995

30K service: THB 1,104

30,738 km

2,547.8 liters of fuel

12.1 km/l (actual)

12.6 km/l (onboard computer)

Purchase price: THB 922K

Insurance: THB 44K