Central Traffic Fiasco

stevehaigh

no problem going through the construction sight the other day from the airport....

looked more like a storage yard than a consruction sight...no work going on that i could see....

The traffic into and out Chalong circle was far worse.

did see lots of new red plate cars on the road as well...

Yeah I breezed through there twice today at 1pm & 3.30pm but astonished at the lack of urgency on the project. There is plenty of steel there but it will help if they dig out the foundations first.

Foundations?

Dig out "for" the foundations & based on another post build a temporary concrete stretch where the dump trucks can move without getting stuck.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem going through the construction sight the other day from the airport....

looked more like a storage yard than a consruction sight...no work going on that i could see....

Yeah I breezed through there twice today at 1pm & 3.30pm but astonished at the lack of urgency on the project. There is plenty of steel there but it will help if they dig out the foundations first.

Foundations?

Dig out "for" the foundations & based on another post build a temporary concrete stretch where the dump trucks can move without getting stuck.

Don't think, the foundation will me made for permanent full loaded trucks, anyway!giggle.gif

Also: Never seen it this way, in Thailand. 'to get stuck' is part of the plan, at projects during the high rain season.

Something need to be responsible for the delay!

Foundations?

Sorry, Valentine. I should've added a "roll eyes" smiley - I know what you meant, but was casting aspersions at the ability of the workers to think ahead. wink.png

I was having lunch yesterday at the Sizzler in Central Festival and had a window table with a good view of the underpass project. The only action I observed was a few guys re-arranging the piles of steel re-bar. The signs indicate that this is a European/Thai company, and one would expect they would have thought through an efficient plan of action before restricting traffic flow. When the new Sarasin Bridge span was built, the company literally worked day and night until it was finished. Why not the same intensity here? Mid-day, mid-week one would have expected to see scores of workers and heavy equipment in action, but instead it was just a few laborers and much traffic congestion. Why?

I was having lunch yesterday at the Sizzler in Central Festival and had a window table with a good view of the underpass project. The only action I observed was a few guys re-arranging the piles of steel re-bar. The signs indicate that this is a European/Thai company, and one would expect they would have thought through an efficient plan of action before restricting traffic flow. When the new Sarasin Bridge span was built, the company literally worked day and night until it was finished. Why not the same intensity here? Mid-day, mid-week one would have expected to see scores of workers and heavy equipment in action, but instead it was just a few laborers and much traffic congestion. Why?

Did they get paid till now? No money no real action.

Maybe this has something to do with it.

http://www.phuketgaz...rted-19714.html

As development in Burma increases, with multinational companies paying a decent wage, many Burmese will return home. There will be a labour shortage here. Perhaps that's why there is so much construction happening now, because there will be problems getting projects built here in the future.

Edited by NamKangMan

As development in Burma increases, with multinational companies paying a decent wage, many Burmese will return home. There will be a labour shortage here. Perhaps that's why there is so much construction happening now, because there will be problems getting projects built here in the future.

If that is the reason, for a/the delay, then good night, Phuket!

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuketbusiness/2012/Phuket-Business-B300-minimum-wage-hike-to-worsen-labor-shortage-19690.html

If that is the reason, for a/the delay, then good night, Phuket!

http://www.phuketgaz...tage-19690.html

In general, the young Northern Thai guys are taking care of the rice farm, with the assistance of money sent home from their sister who works in the sex trade down south, or she has a farang.

The young southern Thai guys would rather rip off one tourist a day for a 400 baht daily wage selling them an overpriced T-Shirt or tuk-tuk ride, rather than bust their hump in the hot sun for 300 baht a day.

Also, the higher cost of living on Phuket will see Burmese labourers move to other arears, or perhaps back to Burma, where they will get a similar wage, but have a lower cost of living, therefore, more disposable income.

I think there will be a labour shortage here in the future.

Edited by NamKangMan

Aside from all the labour issues which will continue to worsen I find Chalong Circle more of a traffic problem than around Central. There seems to be no rhyme or reason around the circle apart from the extra numbers of tour buses who are forced to make the U turn. We all used to blame the manual control system but I have been through there several times today with large lines but no police. Of course I expect Central traffic will get far worse when they actually begin in earnest.

Aside from all the labour issues which will continue to worsen I find Chalong Circle more of a traffic problem than around Central. There seems to be no rhyme or reason around the circle apart from the extra numbers of tour buses who are forced to make the U turn. We all used to blame the manual control system but I have been through there several times today with large lines but no police. Of course I expect Central traffic will get far worse when they actually begin in earnest.

I think we have discussed this before. The primary reason it doesn't work is that it is too small for traffic to merge in and out. It ends up being a multi way stop... At least IMHO.

• Like 1

If there ever was a need for an underpass, that circle is a prime candidate.

I was down there a couple of days ago and was stuck in the long tail-back south of the circle, so I agree that something should be done about the Chalong Circle, but probably an underpass is not the solution. If you were traveling from Rawai north through the circle to Choafa West the underpass would be perfect for you, but what about the folks who wanted to take Choafa East? With five streets coming into the circle it doen’t seem practical to consider an underpass.

The whole transportation picture needs a creative re-think. Underpasses for the Central and Big Tesco intersections will probably be helpful when they are finally done, but really, they are ust bandaids and won’t solve the traffic problems. Same for all the new traffic lights which just seem to slow progress.

Probably the solution would have to be a limited access tollway starting in Rawai and running north through the hills to the airport, or even to the Sarasin Bridge where there has been talk of a railroad station on land the RR already owns, with connection to Suri Thani, and Bangkok.

The new highway could have ramps for Karon, Patong/Kathu, Kamala/Heroines Monument, Laguna/Thalang, the airport, maybe the convention center (if they decide to do it). It could also have light rail on the same route with branches around the island.

That’s what’s needed to get ahead of the problem. I think some of the big Asian construction companies who have been making light rail proposals could undertake this whole project and recover their costs and profit through the toll and rail fares, so the Thai govt wouldn’t have to front the cost.

Maybe its time to improve the road from Patong to Surin and then to the airport then less people will use the Central festival road!

blink.png are you a government official?

what a great idea....................best improve all roads at the same time.biggrin.png

Not a lot of action at the site today, nor a lot of traffic in that area around 2pm-3pm. Maybe it has something to do with Christmas. This is the view to the north from the pedestrian overpass.

I think the removal of the footbridge could be a turning point in the project and its affect on traffic flow. Central said they are going to launch a shuttle bus to get people from the main complex to HomeWorks after it comes down. We'll see how that turns out.

A few Burmese workers seemed quite happy to break up the monotony by having their picture taken..

post-40708-0-49052700-1356425419_thumb.j

Not a lot of action at the site today, nor a lot of traffic in that area around 2pm-3pm. Maybe it has something to do with Christmas. This is the view to the north from the pedestrian overpass.

I think the removal of the footbridge could be a turning point in the project and its affect on traffic flow. Central said they are going to launch a shuttle bus to get people from the main complex to HomeWorks after it comes down. We'll see how that turns out.

A few Burmese workers seemed quite happy to break up the monotony by having their picture taken..

I thought they were only employing Thai's.

Probabably why it is taking so long getting started

The site as of 27.12.2012

post-58566-0-25207100-1356750519_thumb.j

What are these pipes used for?

post-58566-0-75588200-1356750629_thumb.j

Looks a bit like the pipe, they dug in, at the 24h animal hospital in chalong, where the 3m tarmac 'speed bump' is, now:

Drain water pipes!

I mean, this location, where it all started with this 'little' 3-year refill sinkhole:

http://goo.gl/maps/tTwYb

This summer, they stopped refilling. And checked, why the sinkhole got bigger and bigger and bigger.

Unlucky, during they dug in the pipe, the curbs of the excavation lost some cm of the road level.

And they probably haven't had enough tarmac, to fix that.

I'm not sure, is the 'speed bump' an advantage or a disadvantage?whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

• 2 weeks later...
Passed the intersection twice yesterday, 1 time in the middle of rushhour and 1 time about 19.30, both times no problem at all.

I'm actually surprised you could pry yourself away from thaivisa. Good work.

You have to set priorities, but I admit, it was a difficult choice.

So far though the problems have been far less than anticipated.

Took friends who'd been staying with us for the last month to the airport last Monday night. Left our house in Chalong at 8.05 pm, home at 9.25 pm (wife drove both ways, no excessive speed). Tuesday morning towed my boat/trailer from Boat Lagoon again to my home in Chalong. Left Boat Lagoon at 10.30 am, home at 11 am. Really doesn't seem to be any significant impact to journey times compared to before the work/lane closures started.

• Like 1