Thailand Ranked 8Th Most Dangerous Country, The Worst In S E Asia: Global Terrorism Index

webfact

Thailand ranked 8th most dangerous country, top in SE Asia

The Nation

BANGKOK: Thailand has been ranked No 8 among countries most prone to terrorist attacks mainly due to insurgency in the deep South.

According to the Global Terrorism Index (GTI) covering 158 countries, Thailand is the worst in Southeast Asia and the fifth worst in all Asia. The top four countries in the list are all from Asia - Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and India - where terrorist incidents were "heavily concentrated".

Thailand ranks top among the Southeast Asian countries, followed by the Philippines (No 10), Indonesia (29), Myanmar (33), Malaysia (90) and Cambodia (101). Laos has not experienced terrorism over the past decade, the report said.

While the government played down Thailand's high ranking in terms of terrorism yesterday, opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva expressed concerns that the news would have a negative impact on the country's image.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said he did not think incidents in the Muslim-majority South could be considered "terrorism" and that it was the media's fault for creating fear among the public. National Security Council secretary-general Lt-General Paradorn Pattanathabutr agreed, saying the degree of violence in the South could not be regarded as "terrorism".

Abhisit, however, reiterated that the ranking on the terrorism index was not good for Thailand's image.

The GTI systematically ranks and compares 158 countries according to the impact of terrorism, which is measured against four indicators - the number of incidents, deaths, injured and the level of property damage. According to the institute, the 173 violent incidents that took place in the South last year - and left 142 people dead and 427 others injured - could be documented as terrorism.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-07

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee whiz!! What would these killings and bombings in the south be, if they weren't terrorism? The only other thing it could be would be a declaration of war? Is Chalerm saying that Thailand has "declared war" on whichever group/groups are responsible for these killings? According to Thai news, at least 7,000 deaths, including 200 teachers have been assassinated or killed in these Malay Pattani states since 2003-4 to present.

Thailand is on the global list for number 8 in terror, and it seems that it should rank higher with this many nown deaths and who knows how many unknown and/or unreported?

• Like 1

Gee whiz!! What would these killings and bombings in the south be, if they weren't terrorism? The only other thing it could be would be a declaration of war? Is Chalerm saying that Thailand has "declared war" on whichever group/groups are responsible for these killings? According to Thai news, at least 7,000 deaths, including 200 teachers have been assassinated or killed in these Malay Pattani states since 2003-4 to present.

Thailand is on the global list for number 8 in terror, and it seems that it should rank higher with this many nown deaths and who knows how many unknown and/or unreported?

The report specifically talks to the Impact of Terrorism. So far the acts of terror have been localised in the Deep South provinces and non Thais have not been declared as targets. Should the conflict spread outside of the Deep South, foreigners targeted and so on, Thailand will move up the list due to the impact on tourism and investment in Thailand.

• Like 1

Maybe it's the media I take in, or my cracker face, but Pattaya still comes across as a more dangerous place for me to walk around at night.

Then again, I've never had a Thai person so much as look at me crossly. All of this stuff gets filtered through local media before it reaches my ears. Interesting.

Maybe it's the media I take in, or my cracker face, but Pattaya still comes across as a more dangerous place for me to walk around at night.

Then again, I've never had a Thai person so much as look at me crossly. All of this stuff gets filtered through local media before it reaches my ears. Interesting.

If you really believe pattaya is dangerous at night, I suggest you take a midnight walk in NYC or London .

Going on 13th year and never ever ever had a problem in pattaya anywhere-beach,dark soi's or out in Thai area's.

Saying that the OP is about terrorism and while we do not hear much about the south, terror attacks happen daily even sometimes in schools and hospitals .

Government should acknowledge the fact and speak on how they tackle it instead of denying .

Is it bad for Thailand image? Sure it is

But majority do not go to south so majority could not care less

• Like 2

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said he did not think incidents in the Muslim-majority South could be considered "terrorism"

Gee Chalerm what do you call daily bomb attacks, killing military personell, police, and school teachers ambush style. Another day in paradise?

I'm sure the TAT will put a positive spin on it.

Only a matter of time before the Islamists export this little feud further afield. When that happens the government will have to act. More paper dove drops perhaps?

They are not 'Islamists' they are separatists.

Or maybe Islamic separatists

• Like 1

Abhisit was quick to label protesters as terrorists and now he is complaining about the terrorism ranking, it's caused partly by you giving undeserved labels to people in an attempt to excuse the murders by the army and try to justify your orders.

You sir, are obsessed.

Abhisit, however, reiterated that the ranking on the terrorism index was not good for Thailand's image.
  • Like 1

Only a matter of time before the Islamists export this little feud further afield. When that happens the government will have to act. More paper dove drops perhaps?

They are not 'Islamists' they are separatists.

Or maybe Islamic separatists

Oh many thanks for the clarification. Quite right. Islamic separatists.

The report specifically talks to the Impact of Terrorism. So far the acts of terror have been localised in the Deep South provinces and non Thais have not been declared as targets. Should the conflict spread outside of the Deep South, foreigners targeted and so on, Thailand will move up the list due to the impact on tourism and investment in Thailand.

I seem to recall bombings in Bangkok. How should they be described?

• Like 2

It is my understanding that Thailand has had more killings caused by terrorism than any other country in the world. Politacians can call it waht they want but it is just a sign of there inability to understand the problem. Thereby not know how to deal with it.

I guess that is why they are in politics not smart enough to get a real job.

This is not correct, number of killings in the last year were Iraq 1,798 killed, then Pakistan 1,468 killed, next Afghanistan 1,293 killed and so on

• Like 1

The forgotten war as some so rightly call it, In the restive south , I'm afraid is here to stay, regardless what is said , what is done and what is agreed upon,end of story, going on past results ,Thailand will still be in this privileged position in fifty years from now.bah.gif

I seem to recall bombings in Bangkok. How should they be described?

Do not know what specific incident/s you are referring, so I assume acts of Thai on Thai political terrorism with minimal loss of life (if any) and property from use of explosives and not connected to the conflict in the Deep South. You may be referring to the one incident with the Iranians and that was an own goal. Not exactly something that would influence an upgrade on Thailand's terrorism grading

Edited by simple1

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said he did not think incidents in the Muslim-majority South could be considered "terrorism"

Gee Chalerm what do you call daily bomb attacks, killing military personell, police, and school teachers ambush style. Another day in paradise?

When looking at those he associates with, and members of his family, is it really so surprising that he sees nothing wrong with daily bombings, and the killing of military and police?

• Like 1

Abhisit was quick to label protesters as terrorists and now he is complaining about the terrorism ranking, it's caused partly by you giving undeserved labels to people in an attempt to excuse the murders by the army and try to justify your orders.

You sir, are obsessed.

What a shame he didn't think about that when he started labeling protestors as terrorists