Gmmz Box Works On True Satellite? (+ 1200 Baht Promo)

WhiteCadillac

I have a old installation of True Satellite at my house, but no subscription.

1) May I just buy the 1000 baht GMMz Box and instantly watch all GMMz channels (including Eurosport and other English-channels) without paying any monthly fees? They also have a 1200 baht AIS 1-2-call promotion going on for anyone who buys the 1000 box, so I would be getting pretty good value as I would also get 100 baht talk time on my AIS prepaid for 12 months.

2) Is it possible to watch the channels offerded by the GMMz with a dreambox 500s without the need to buy the GMMz box?

True satellite is I believe pointed to the Thaicom 5 ( http://www.marinesat...hp?page_id=1026 )

Edited by WhiteCadillac

Thanks for the topic, I received my box at the Emporium top floor, when I bought my Samsung 55 inch internet ready TV LED, no charge, now I see they are selling the box alone for 599, if that is the box you are talking about?

I decided after a few months of trying to sell it online to try it myself. I connected to the Truevision cable from the wall in the Condo in Bkk Sukhumvit area.

We called the hotline and they were very nice in explaining how to setup in English and that there was no charge right now for the use.

I get Eurosport channels and allot of other channels plus a movie channel or two?

All works well except for when the power is out for some reason or another, I have to reset the setup, which takes a few minutes and basically knowing the pin number and the spots in Thai that need to be changed in setup to English.

As for the other box you mention or having ones own Satellite dish, I really cannot help there, I have a mini terrace facing west and I am on the 15th floor, so possibly I could buy a Satellite but don't know if West on Sukhumvit is the right direction for that 5 Satellite you mention?

If I did get it working I would try and install the dish on the terrace and see if I could cancel my subscription to Truevision Platinum plus A La Carte.

We also have a Satellite for the Condo, but when I connected that cable instead it did not get a signal on the Gmmz box at all, maybe I would have to change the Satellite?

If anyone knows how to do that I would give it a try and save the 2600 baht a month I am paying approximately. Thanks in advance.

1) Yes, you can set the GMMZ box up with your true dish. I have mine that way currently.

Make sure the box is set / tuned to the KU band and not C band.

Unless you pay the monthly subscription you are limited to the channels you can watch.

Some places do have the promotion for AIS and GMMZ when you buy the box.

You will not be getting Premier league football or a lot of the other goodies. Most of the basic programmes are Thai orientated, though things like National Geographic can be watched in English.

Pay the subscription fee and you get many more options including football - not premier league though.

2) you will not get the programmes with a dreambox now and the GMMZ box is cheap enough.

Much better if you have the space to install the big C band dish. Many more channels available. I was quoted 3,500 Baht for the C band dish including installation last week.

Edited by pattayadingo

Thanks for the replies. 599 baht sounds really cheap, though do they have the AIS talk time promo on top of that?

I assume Thai channels 3, 7, 9 or whatever the channels that show the soap operas are accessible with the GMM Z box as well without paying any subscriptions?

The box would be mostly accessed by my wife - I dont really watch premier league anyway - so no need for that.

Thanks for the replies. 599 baht sounds really cheap, though do they have the AIS talk time promo on top of that?

I assume Thai channels 3, 7, 9 or whatever the channels that show the soap operas are accessible with the GMM Z box as well without paying any subscriptions?

The box would be mostly accessed by my wife - I dont really watch premier league anyway - so no need for that.

Yes, those channels are available. That is part of the reason I got the box. I get peace and quiet on an evening while the boss watches the soaps :)

There are more than 200 Thai Channels on Grammy although rather less on KU Band you would be recieving with a True dish.

GMM do not provide 200 channels on the C or Ku Bands, rather their set top box will allow you to tune other free to air TV and radio channels into it from other providers giving the illusion it is being provided by GMM.

Edited by jsat

There are more than 200 Thai Channels on Grammy although rather less on KU Band you would be recieving with a True dish.

GMM do not provide 200 channels on the C or Ku Bands, rather their set top box will allow you to tune other free to air TV and radio channels into it from other providers giving the illusion it is being provided by GMM.

Whatever, with the GMM box you are able to view around 400 Channels inluding the GMM premium ones.

When using a C Band dish.

Can the True dish not just be fitted with a dual LNB (KU and C)? Cheaper/better than a second dish - or are they oriented differently (different satelites)?

The simple answer is no on a true dish but on a bigger 90/120cm yes

conical%20on%20dish.jpg

Is there a list of these 200 channels?

http://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-5.html has both bands and all the free to view and subscription channels over 200 Thai (not English) channels

And just as FYI for some, there will be more channels than listed at above link since it's just a database listing....unless the channel info gets put into the database it won't be listed, but the channels will sure be playing on your TV. With the hundreds to thousands of channels on most satellites, many of these channels go out of business and new ones are always popping up which makes it really hard for the database to be 100% complete/accurate. But above link definitely finds most of the easter eggs. Preaching to the choir I know for many, especially jsat.

• Like 1

Can the True dish not just be fitted with a dual LNB (KU and C)? Cheaper/better than a second dish - or are they oriented differently (different satelites)?

The simple answer is no on a true dish but on a bigger 90/120cm yes

conical%20on%20dish.jpg

Would that dish be pointed in the same direction as a True dish to get C and KU bands?

Would that dish be pointed in the same direction as a True dish to get C and KU bands?

Yes at 78.5e Thaicom 5 satellite.

Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data

Latitude: 13.7522°

Longitude: 100.4939°

Name: 78.5E THAICOM 5

Distance: 36529km

Elevation: 59.9°

Azimuth (true): 239.5°

Azimuth (magn.): 240.5°

LNB Skew [?]: 56.8°

arrow-r.png

PS: Costs a heck of a lot more than a cheap and cheerful 5' black dish doing the same job.

Edited by jsat

Yes at 78.5e Thaicom 5 satellite.

Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data

Latitude: 13.7522°

Longitude: 100.4939°

Name: 78.5E THAICOM 5

Distance: 36529km

Elevation: 59.9°

Azimuth (true): 239.5°

Azimuth (magn.): 240.5°

LNB Skew [?]: 56.8°

arrow-r.png

PS: Costs a heck of a lot more than a cheap and cheerful 5' black dish doing the same job.

Thanks for that info :)

What a pity my other dish is only 78 cm :(

I see you say 90 - 120 cm. Obviously the bigger the better, but how much difference between the sizes? I ask because of having limited room for a 120 cm, yet can get a 90 cm in.

Would all dual LNB's pick up the same signal level or are there better ones than others?

Thanks.

Thanks for that info smile.png

What a pity my other dish is only 78 cm sad.png

I see you say 90 - 120 cm. Obviously the bigger the better, but how much difference between the sizes? I ask because of having limited room for a 120 cm, yet can get a 90 cm in.

Would all dual LNB's pick up the same signal level or are there better ones than others?

Thanks.

Difference - is simple seeing channels or not seeing channels. By dual LNB's do you mean side by side (this will never work) or a Dual C / Ku LNB (which will work)

I guess you could find someone to do a 90cm for you or give it a try yourself on your existing 78cm offset dish (we do not do this as it is more than double the price of a small C band dish doing the same thing)

Edited by jsat

Unless you pay the monthly subscription you are limited to the channels you can watch.

You will not be getting Premier league football or a lot of the other goodies. Most of the basic programmes are Thai orientated, though things like National Geographic can be watched in English.

Pay the subscription fee and you get many more options including football - not premier league though.

What is this subscription fee You talk about? We have had this box since EURO2012 and paid nothing on monthly. Do You pay that? If so, how many sportschannels You have? We get 6, eurosportasia, clubchannel, football extra, sport one, sport extra, t-sport. Is there more if I pay fee? My box is in true dish.

What is this subscription fee You talk about? We have had this box since EURO2012 and paid nothing on monthly. Do You pay that? If so, how many sportschannels You have? We get 6, eurosportasia, clubchannel, football extra, sport one, sport extra, t-sport. Is there more if I pay fee? My box is in true dish.

I do not actually pay anything. I got the box for the g/f so she can watch ThaI tv.

The box - off KU band - currently gets about 50 channels including Eurosport and sport extra + National geographic. I do not have a full list of channels she gets.

It is my belief that there are more channels available if you pay the 350 Baht a month - but do not accept that as fact :)

For me it is the fact I can watch tv of an evening in peace while she watches Thai t.v.

The idea that Jsat has put in my head with their posts seems a better option to go via the C band route.

Thanks for that info smile.png

What a pity my other dish is only 78 cm sad.png

Thanks.

Difference - is simple seeing channels or not seeing channels. By dual LNB's do you mean side by side (this will never work) or a Dual C / Ku LNB (which will work)

I guess you could find someone to do a 90cm for you or give it a try yourself on your existing 78cm offset dish (we do not do this as it is more than double the price of a small C band dish doing the same thing)

Yes, i meant the dual one, not side by side.

I was out getting quotes locally this morning. One place refused to quote, saying that the Dual C / KU LNB would not work with a 90 cm dish. He definitely wanted to sell me one of his large black dishes but that is not an option because I do not have the room to install one.

The other shop quoted 2,700 for the 90 cm dish and 1,250 for the LNBF C+KU band Infosat CKU-01. That seemed a reasonable price to me.

I do feel that a lot more people could benefit from the information you have given regarding a 90-120 cm dish because that takes up less room and could better be fitted in place of an existing True dish. That is why I like this idea :)

The other shop quoted 2,700 for the 90 cm dish and 1,250 for the LNBF C+KU band Infosat CKU-01. That seemed a reasonable price to me.

You also need ;

1. a 2 way diseqc although the Infosat dual C/Ku band LNB's have that built into them

2. a C band conical feed horn adapter for the LNB (to make it work on the offset dish)

3. a C band LNB mount for the dish

4. plus paying an installer to learn how to do it while they install it for you

Good luck ..