Why Do Do Many Expats Kill Themselves Here?

thenervoussurgeon

Would you go to Nigeria to kill yourself ?

Paradise seems the obvious locale to leave the station.

Paradise or paradise lost? There's probably a dozen different reasons people kill themselves here. Bad health, broke, girlfriend/wife problems etc, all leading to chronic depression. In fact, pretty much the same reasons people kill themselves anywhere.

• Like 1

Would you go to Nigeria to kill yourself ?

Paradise seems the obvious locale to leave the station.

Paradise or paradise lost? There's probably a dozen different reasons people kill themselves here. Bad health, broke, girlfriend/wife problems etc, all leading to chronic depression. In fact, pretty much the same reasons people kill themselves anywhere.

Same reason there's lots of suicides in San Francisco. End of the road. Dreams turn to sheit. Nothing to go back to. People take the geographic cure and there's still the same person. Bummer.

So a girl leaves you ,there are hundreds more,broke? if your from the uk go home on benifits (a friend did that) perhaps i have never been that depresed ,even when my first wife left ,no now i remember i was happy.

There's no simple answer. As I said there's many reasons people suicide, sick old and tired being a common one. Sometimes the reason makes no sense to anyone other than the person who does it.

You read them all the time on Thai Visa. They don't like Pattaya and all that goes on there (when they find out it goes on everywhere in Thailand; explode brain). They think the Thai economy is crashing and their home economy is booming. When they find out it is the reverse brain overload, bang. They think all Thais are cheating them (not so and they get terminally depressed). They think Farang is a racist term, (discovery of the truth leads to jumping off a balcony.)

They find out who really pays sinsot and for whom.

The young wife ran off with a poor old guy from France. Or young boyfriend ran off with a poor old guy from France.

They come from a country where everyone complains about everything all the time, the weather is bad, people don't shower much, everyone drinks warm beer, is fat and dull only crosses the street at street crossing zones and the change is just too much.

They come from a country where everyone complains about everything all the time, the weather is bad, people don't shower much, everyone drinks warm beer, is fat and dull only crosses the street at street crossing zones and the change is just too much.

Canada also has warm beer?

Canada also has warm beer?

I didn't say it was one particular country.smile.png If the beer fits......

You read them all the time on Thai Visa. They don't like Pattaya and all that goes on there (when they find out it goes on everywhere in Thailand; explode brain). They think the Thai economy is crashing and their home economy is booming. When they find out it is the reverse brain overload, bang. They think all Thais are cheating them (not so and they get terminally depressed). They think Farang is a racist term, (discovery of the truth leads to jumping off a balcony.)

The young wife ran off with a poor old guy from France. Or young boyfriend ran off with a poor old guy from France.

So you put it down to Culture Shock ?

What is many?

Not being sarcastic here.

Sorry if It came out like that.

Just wonder how many it must be before we think it is many.

1 in every 10 000? 1 in every 1000?

Expats or tourists?

Any stats?

Not available. Maybe we could make a thread next year and count the suicides, homicides, and fatal accidents of foreigners that are reported. Many are not, however.

So you put it down to Culture Shock ?

No I think it is poor and ugly. Rich handsome guys don't have many problems. Maybe they get pushed but I don't think jumping is big on the list of Rich and handsome men this year.

Weird this topic should come up today.

I was reading this story about a chap who decided to end it all after being hosed by two local birds he thought he was going to score with at his hotel.

A 59-year-old German man jumped off the 10th floor of a Bangkok hotel after he was robbed of 6,000 THB by two Thai women two days earlier. He survived his fall after landing on the 3rd floor rooftop deck of a 7-Eleven store, but was seriously injured.

What made it all the more tragic is they only stole 6,000THB.

Poor sod tries to end it all cos he's got no dosh and now he's gotta pay hospital bills

Guess it's got to be hard to have had a blast here and then face going home penniless to a job market that doesn't really want to know if you're over 45.

He was German, I believe he would have social benefits and unemployment money (if no job).

Guess it's got to be hard to have had a blast here and then face going home penniless to a job market that doesn't really want to know if you're over 45.

Depends on your trade or skillset I suppose but Lord knows I couldn't face going back to wearing a suit and running the rush hour on the Tube again.

Still, there's no way I'd top myself