1800B-4000B Fares From Phuket International Airport To Beach Towns.

NomadJoe

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^

Out of interest how many kms do you think that journey is , I just want to compare the priced to krabi where it is also 600 bht krabi airport to aonang which is about 25 km ,I think it's pretty fair price especially is there is 3 or 4 people.

I guess it's about 40 km.

"We have had several guests over the last few weeks pay 1800B for a trip from the airport to Kata, and one paid 4000B."

I'm sorry, that I have to say this, but it is obvious:

You guests don't have a clue about the chosen destination Phuket!

And going somewhere, totally unprepared, leaves big chances, to get scammed!

A simple "Taxi Phuket Airport to Kata" question for google gives all they need.

In case, they contacted you in forehand, they didn't get the needed info from you, too!

Let's call it experience, very valuable!

So charging tourists several times the standard fare is OK if they didn't do their homework then? I am a little surprised you feel that way.

Joe, it's a sad fact of anywhere in the world. Any newbie tourist, anywhere in the world is prey for the vultures.

Answer is - be less of a newbie and research your destination. Google is a true friend. Wish I had that many years ago when I traveled extensively to new places.

then why doesn't it happen (to anywhere near the same extent) in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

• Like 1

"We have had several guests over the last few weeks pay 1800B for a trip from the airport to Kata, and one paid 4000B."

In case, they contacted you in forehand, they didn't get the needed info from you, too!

So charging tourists several times the standard fare is OK if they didn't do their homework then? I am a little surprised you feel that way.

Joe, it's a sad fact of anywhere in the world. Any newbie tourist, anywhere in the world is prey for the vultures.

Answer is - be less of a newbie and research your destination. Google is a true friend. Wish I had that many years ago when I traveled extensively to new places.

then why doesn't it happen (to anywhere near the same extent) in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

It happens plenty of times in Bangkok and I'm pretty sure it's still happening in Chang Mai. I know I was taken advantage of by taxi drivers in both of those places many years ago. I'm sure it hasn't changed too much. The only time I use a taxi on Phuket these days is to and from the airport and 600 Baht for about an hour trip isn't too bad... It cost me a $100 US for an hour and a half trip to get to San Francisco airport. And that's the cheapest way to get there by far, other than a friend driving you...

Because Phuket is the major scumbag hub in Thailand?

Or it can be, that to many people expecting envelopes. That needs bigger revenues from the main earners, in the beginning of the food chain!

After reading, that motorcycles taxi driver have to pay 20-50k, to get a space in the taxi rank, I do not expect car 'taxi' rank spaces cheaper!

Edited by noob7

Sorry I haven't replied, been formulating my redaction, correction, and formal public apology to be run in the Gazettte, Phuket News, The Nation, the Post, with a 30 minute segment on channel 7. cheesy.gif

You guys are too funny. Not checked out, been reading with some amusement Thank you for a good chuckle. I can tell by all your posts about it you enjoyed the sweet taste of internet forum victory. I'm glad I could make your week. lol

Yeah, the fact that there are a small handful of few blue and yellow taxi's which I never noticed sure was "hard hitting." If you payed attention you would see I "liked" the post about the blue and yellow taxi's when you posted it. I am allowed one mistake in 5000 posts. smile.png

Anyway, I was wondering why you posted green and yellow taxi's to support your assertion that there are blue and yellow taxi's in Phuket when you could have just as easily posted blue and yellow ones to drive home your "hard hitting" retort. Google "Phuket metered taxi" and there are 20 pictures of red and yellow taxis, and 2 of blue and yellow.

Meter-taxi.jpg

And FYI, britpop, you said I went on about LA. That was another member that brought up his experiences at another international airport which is completely relevant and on topic as we are talking about an international airport, PIA.

Edited by NomadJoe

There are a couple of related bits of news on this front. Another English language news source is reporting that a motosai taxi driver was removed from the rank at the new bus terminal for double charging, a passenger 160B instead of 80B . If only we could institute this policy for the taxi and tuk tuk drivers.

The same source is reporting that two new bus lines are in the works. One from the new bus station to the beach towns, and one from the airport to the beach towns. Would be great if true. And if it happens, I wonder how long the taxi/tuk tuk blockades will last and if they will be successful. All we need now is a bus connecting the beach towns, and have it operate past sunset unlike the current buses.

Edited by NomadJoe

There are a couple of related bits of news on this front. Another English language news source is reporting that a motosai taxi driver was removed from the rank at the new bus terminal for double charging, a passenger 160B instead of 80B . If only we could institute this policy for the taxi and tuk tuk drivers.

The same source is reporting that two new bus lines are in the works. One from the new bus station to the beach towns, and one from the airport to the beach towns. Would be great if true. And if it happens, I wonder how long the taxi/tuk tuk blockades will last and if they will be successful. All we need now is a bus connecting the beach towns, and have it operate past sunset unlike the current buses.

I think, no one liked the guy! That's why he got 'ruled' out.

Because if they would do so, generally, not many taxi drivers left.

120 baht from the old terminal to the PhiPhi ferry is double charged, too.

I think, like all the moto taxis in Patong, they charge double, because the fee is for the km. And they need to drive back, where the customer are, from there, where they drop them. whistling.gif

For an 'idea', how much would be the normal price:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/Phuket-motorbike-taxis-hit-over-fares-19676.html

An officer from the Phuket Land Transportation Office (PLTO) explained that by law motorbike taxi drivers were to charge 25 baht for the first two kilometers of a journey and 5 baht per kilometer thereafter.

“For journeys exceeding five kilometers, the rate depends on the fare agreed by the passenger and the driver,” he explained.

So they calculate always more as 5km. Or anyone paid ever 45 baht or less? Except in Phuket town, maybe!

Also it's questionable, that someone set a fair to 80 baht, in case the driver really has the legal right to do this

“For journeys exceeding five kilometers, the rate depends on the fare agreed by the passenger and the driver,”

In a Bangkok metered taxi this distance would be 225B (+ 100B airport surcharge) for the 45km journey (35B first 3km, 5B each km after) .

Just so that visitors to Bangkok don't believe they are also being scammed, I will point out that the taxi fares you quote for Bangkok are not correct. The flag fall of 35 baht only includes the first km and the 5 baht/km rate is only for kilometers 2 through 12. After that the rate increases incrementally with the travelled distance and tops out at 8.5 baht/km. So in Bangkok a 45 km journey would cost 287 baht, not the 225 baht you quote.

On the other hand the airport surcharge is only 50 baht (not 100 baht), unless they have raised it recently smile.png

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

In a Bangkok metered taxi this distance would be 225B (+ 100B airport surcharge) for the 45km journey (35B first 3km, 5B each km after) .

Just so that visitors to Bangkok don't believe they are also being scammed, I will point out that the taxi fares you quote for Bangkok are not correct. The flag fall of 35 baht only includes the first km and the 5 baht/km rate is only for kilometers 2 through 12. After that the rate increases incrementally with the travelled distance and tops out at 8.5 baht/km. So in Bangkok a 45 km journey would cost 287 baht, not the 225 baht you quote.

On the other hand the airport surcharge is only 50 baht (not 100 baht), unless they have raised it recently smile.png

Sophon

But it's 100 at Phuket (Minimum they tell every time)

Sophon

But it's 100 at Phuket (Minimum they tell every time)

May well be so (I haven't been to Phuket in years), but the quote is about Bangkok not Phuket.

Sophon

It happens plenty of times in Bangkok and I'm pretty sure it's still happening in Chang Mai. I know I was taken advantage of by taxi drivers in both of those places many years ago. I'm sure it hasn't changed too much. The only time I use a taxi on Phuket these days is to and from the airport and 600 Baht for about an hour trip isn't too bad... It cost me a $100 US for an hour and a half trip to get to San Francisco airport. And that's the cheapest way to get there by far, other than a friend driving you...

chiang mai has set fares at the airport. about 120 baht. bangkok, you only get rapd if you get tricky and dont use the queue.

yes you can get done but, as i said, not to the same extent.

As for the fare in san fransico, seriously, who cares?

Edited by tinfoilhat

chiang mai has set fares at the airport. about 120 baht. bangkok, you only get rapd if you get tricky and dont use the queue.

yes you can get done but, as i said, not to the same extent.

As for the fare in san fransico, seriously, who cares?

We are comparing international airports on this thread, so it's relevant to the thread.

Edited by LivinginKata
insult removed

We are comparing international airports on this thread, so it's relevant to the thread.

Really - Looks to me like the topic started about taxi fares from Phuket Airport to the Beach resorts. Would be much more relevant comparing taxi prices in other areas of Thailand.

Yes but it did progress from there. I think GOM brought up Los Angeles International... Or was that yet another one of these threads about taxi fares?

Edited by Jimi007

Really - Looks to me like the topic started about taxi fares from Phuket Airport to the Beach resorts. Would be much more relevant comparing taxi prices in other areas of Thailand.

Why can't they both be relevant? Illustrating that airport taxi fares in some of the most expensive places in the world are on par with, or even less than those in a developing country with 1/10th cost of living (or whatever it is) would be very relevant, no?

Sophon

There are multiple sources online and I may have used an old one. This chart shows it at around 250B.

taxi-rate.gif

Sophon

There are multiple sources online and I may have used an old one. This chart shows it at around 250B.

<snipped chart>

That chart is the old fares. New fares started in 2008.

Surprisingly, the ONLY place that I could find the new fares was here:

All the "taxi fare calculator" sites that I found were incorrect, highlighted by them saying that it was 35 baht for 2 kms instead of the 1 km that it is now.

Took a taxi from the airport to Rawai two weeks back. It cost me 750 baht.

That is the published price on the wall inside the airport for the "limo" service. You could have turned right and walked to the "meter" taxi service and paid 600.

Sophon

<snipped chart>

That chart is the old fares. New fares started in 2008.

Surprisingly, the ONLY place that I could find the new fares was here: http://www.thaivisa....e-effect-today/

All the "taxi fare calculator" sites that I found were incorrect, highlighted by them saying that it was 35 baht for 2 kms instead of the 1 km that it is now.

It appears the source I quoted is even older than that, as it said 35B for the first 3 km's and 5B each KM after. Nothing about incremental increase.

http://www.thebangkokshoppingguide.com/taxis

I flew today from Phuket to Bangkok Don Muang and back.

I have enough tan not to be mistaken for an recently arrived tourist. I also forgot to play tourist and look everywhere with big eyes and constantly saying "Ah, it's so hot and humid here!"..

Taxi from DMK had 50B surcharge and the driver put meter on without asking (which does not always happen when leaving from the Suvarnabhumi). Neat and easy.

Got back in the evening. Landing a bit after 9PM. When still in the "restricted domestic area" I was quoted 3 times 200B for shared van. 2 times. 750B with private car (I did not ask if the airport fee was included).

When walking outside I got quetes of 1000B and 800B. Walked to the metered taxi booth and they said 600B plus 100B airport fee. When I asked if they use the meter.. their English skills degenerated fast and suddenly their mobile phones were far more interesting than farang asking stupid questions. These were either blue-yellow or green-yellow colored taxis :) .. samesame, but different.

I walked to my scooter and rode back home.

In general, not just transportation, I would say that people in Bangkok have more life and genuine interaction with other people, than people in Phuket have. Then again, they are also lost. Suffering forever alone in a big city -syndrome.

I have enough tan not to be mistaken for an recently arrived tourist. I also forgot to play tourist and look everywhere with big eyes and constantly saying "Ah, it's so hot and humid here!"..

Taxi from DMK had 50B surcharge and the driver put meter on without asking (which does not always happen when leaving from the Suvarnabhumi). Neat and easy.

Got back in the evening. Landing a bit after 9PM. When still in the "restricted domestic area" I was quoted 3 times 200B for shared van. 2 times. 750B with private car (I did not ask if the airport fee was included).

When walking outside I got quetes of 1000B and 800B. Walked to the metered taxi booth and they said 600B plus 100B airport fee. When I asked if they use the meter.. their English skills degenerated fast and suddenly their mobile phones were far more interesting than farang asking stupid questions. These were either blue-yellow or green-yellow colored taxis smile.png .. samesame, but different.

In general, not just transportation, I would say that people in Bangkok have more life and genuine interaction with other people, than people in Phuket have. Then again, they are also lost. Suffering forever alone in a big city -syndrome.

I do believe the airport fee was included in the 600 Baht fare at the meter cab. At least that was my experience on Tuesday afternoon. But I agree, if you ask any questions, they don't want talk to you even if you are speaking Thai...

I do believe the airport fee was included in the 600 Baht fare at the meter cab. At least that was my experience on Tuesday afternoon. But I agree, if you ask any questions, they don't want talk to you even if you are speaking Thai...

The meter taxi quote was 600B plus 100B for airport fee. I got to hear it twice. I'm confident with this one.

For the non metered taxis I'm not sure.

I guess the trick is : There are the official quotes inside of the restricted area. Once you get out of there, to for example ask prices outside, it's no longer possible to get back to the restricted area to make the original 750B deal. This way the incoming tourist have to either make an agreement inside without knowing the prices outside of the terminal (and we all know that even snacks are more expensive inside the terminal than outside), or they have agree the prices which are waiting outside.

People who come for the first time, this is a more tricky decision than for the people who come here for their second time.

I'll bet the game have larger offers for the people who come out from the international terminal and who look like newcomers.

When walking outside I got quetes of 1000B and 800B. Walked to the metered taxi booth and they said 600B plus 100B airport fee. When I asked if they use the meter.. their English skills degenerated fast and suddenly their mobile phones were far more interesting than farang asking stupid questions. These were either blue-yellow or green-yellow colored taxis smile.png .. samesame, but different.

I do believe the airport fee was included in the 600 Baht fare at the meter cab. At least that was my experience on Tuesday afternoon. But I agree, if you ask any questions, they don't want talk to you even if you are speaking Thai..

Much less, if you do so!

But that's a usual syndrome, I've experienced.

As soon you can talk in Thai language, the safety from "oh, you not understand me, my english not so good, I never say this" is gone.

The meter taxi quote was 600B plus 100B for airport fee. I got to hear it twice. I'm confident with this one.

For the non metered taxis I'm not sure.

I guess the trick is : There are the official quotes inside of the restricted area. Once you get out of there, to for example ask prices outside, it's no longer possible to get back to the restricted area to make the original 750B deal. This way the incoming tourist have to either make an agreement inside without knowing the prices outside of the terminal (and we all know that even snacks are more expensive inside the terminal than outside), or they have agree the prices which are waiting outside.

People who come for the first time, this is a more tricky decision than for the people who come here for their second time.

I'll bet the game have larger offers for the people who come out from the international terminal and who look like newcomers.

Sorry, but I disagree. You didn't take the taxi and the quote I was given included the airport fee. The "meter" taxi people did admit they had raised their price this month by 100 Baht though because every other "taxi" service had raised their rates in the past month or two with the blessing of the local government to take care of the "black plate" taxi issue...

I do believe the airport fee was included in the 600 Baht fare at the meter cab. At least that was my experience on Tuesday afternoon. But I agree, if you ask any questions, they don't want talk to you even if you are speaking Thai..

Much less, if you do so!

But that's a usual syndrome, I've experienced.

As soon you can talk in Thai language, the safety from "oh, you not understand me, my english not so good, I never say this" is gone.

Very true.

I've picked up some friends, lately. And it's surprising, how many touts are IN THE building, as soon an international plane has landed.

I think, the officials from the Airport (No touts aloud in the building) are checking always, before that happens. giggle.gif

Also the handling of the 'I'm coming transit from Bangkok, where is my international baggage?' traveller, who left the arrival area on the national exit already, is amazing.

With big hand luggage, to the side entry close to the stairs, an in they are, again.

Safety is not a concern, at Phuket airport. Many times, even the doors aren't guarded!