If You Have Retired To Thailand, How Do You Spend Your Time?

tc101

I am 55. I live in the USA. I retired 2 years ago. I am thinking of coming to Thailand, first just to visit and maybe later to live. I am curious about how other people who have retired there spend their time.

How do I spend my time here in the USA:

When I first retired I had a lot of fun, then got really bored for a few months, then started having a good time again as I got into the retirement life style.

I read a lot. I work out at the YMCA. I ride my bicycle on the days I don't go to the YMCA.

I watch DVD movies and sometimes go to the movies. I have lunch with friends most days. I spend too much time on the internet.

When I first retired I took creative writting classes, thinking I had some great book inside of me. I found out how much hard work there is to writting and quit. Then I took some art classes and found out I didn't have much talent and quit. I am still kind of looking for some creative pursuit but haven't found it.

I don't drink. Drinking seems to be the big danger for people who retire early.

Although a bit older than you but cant affort to retire yet (maybe in about 15 years or so)I do tend to find that one of the main pastimes (hobbies) of a lot of a lot of 3rd age guys in LOS is .....drinking. :D Still consider me self a bit of a novice but sure i will catch up one day ....just need more pratice.

So other alternative ways to pass the time......u already mentioned internet...so how about hill walking/treking in the North,swimming/scuba in South,cycling/driving in East and maybe a bit micro lite/bungy jumping in the West. (just dont go too near the Burma Border :o )

As said I havnt even considered Re-T yet but I am sure others who have will be happy to share their "life-style patterns." with you......chok dee na krup... :D

I you like to golf, Thailand has some good courses.

Also, plenty to do at the many beach areas that don't require drinking and women. (althought there's nothing wrong with either taken in moderation)

English-language bookstores are not a problem either and if you live in the 'country' you'll find bicycle-riding enjoyable.

Make that visit and explore different areas of Thailand. If you choose to live outside the tourist areas, see how well you can pick up the language.

Best of luck! :o

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I hope to hear more, but I just realized it is the middle of the night in Thailand so I will probably hear more tomorrow.

If I move there I will take some language courses, but I am not fooling myself into thinking I will ever be a good conversationalist in Thai. I know that would take many years of hard work. I am not good at languages. I had enough trouble with Spanish. However I have noticed that if you learn just a little of a language it opens lots of doors because it shows people you are at least interested and trying. I noticed in Guatemala that if I just tried to speak a few words, then said "I hope your english better than my spanish", I would get a friendly laugh and the person who would not otherwise try to speak english with me would speak it.

It is very important to have some kind of activities to keep you busy, as most people here agree.

I met a Brit in 2004. Common story, bad divorce, lost everything and took a trip to Thailand on a friend's recommendation. No plan before arriving. Ended up waking up late everyday and going out drinking. Snooker and beer in the afternoon, chat with friends and drink more in the evening, hit the bars with the g/f late on, stagger home 2-3 in the morning.

That was his routine for a full year. When I met him, I though he was in his early 60's. He told me he was 47. He ended up having to go back to jolly old E when he fell ill from drinking so much.

That's not to say you shouldn't drink when you're here. There is a big difference between being here on a short holiday and living here.

So, how to avoid falling into the same trap ?

Well, you must have some hobbies and leisure pursuits that you enjoy already. Most of them can probably be found in Thailand as well (you can even play hockey :D , but only if you live in Bangkok or Chang Mai apparently :o )

Take up the Thai language. I spend a couple of hours a day practising reading/writing/speaking.

Retirement is a good time to to volunteer your expertise to some worthy causes. The local ex-pat clubs can give you good info on that and other activities.

Remember that you are not actually allowed to work here unless you have a permit, even if you own a business. Again, the ex-pat clubs and the people in this forum can provide more details on that.

I came here 2 years ago after I retired from the US Army. At first, I helped teach English for free in a local village. I did that for 18 months. It helped me to learn the Thai language more as well.

Last year, I married a girl I met when I first got here. We moved to her home in North Thailand. Now I help on the farm or take my GPS, map, and motorcycle and go explore Thailand.

I live in a small village and have a satellite dish, internet access, and a nice home to live in. Even has hot water, air conditioning, and western style toilets.

If I ever get bored and need a little more excitement, I ride to a big city somewhere and check out the sights.

It's a lot cheaper to live in Thailand than the USA. You can do a lot more with your money here than you can there.

My advise is to come try to live here for about 6 months to see if you like it. If you like it after that then move here.

Before I came here, I had never been here. Since then, the only time I left, was to get a new visa in Laos or Cambodia. I never had a desire to go back to the USA.

Now retired for 14 months.

2 times weekly golf

2 times weekly SPA

2 english language papers daily

Taking ANY opportunity to be busy with Thai language

UBC-IPstar-Dynasat and a giant dish for 400 other destinations (inc.1 dutch)

weekdays coffee at coffeeworld in the Mall

Involved with a local school (supporting them a little bit)

1 time every 5 weeks to hairdresser :o

The daily contacts about maintaining car/house/neighbours (this all in thai language)

Now planning to discover a little bit more about the country

Lots of retirees from America choose the Beach resorts such as Pattaya.

Their is plenty to do every day, have breakfast with friends, play golf, read a good book while relaxing in a comfortable lounge chair on the beach, or surfing the net in the privasy of your home, or condo. Their is also plenty of night life, and women to keep you busy. Their are two expats clubs in town, although the one that meets on Sundays is the one most Americans attend. The one that meets on Saturday are attended mostly by Brits.

Take a Vacation and come for a visit.

Barry

Barry makes a good point.

The idylic life of the orient is not for everyone.

The different culture can take a lot of getting used to and can

be very frustrating at times.

Come and spend a few months on an extended vacation.

Try some diferent locations and see what suits you best and fits in

with the pattern of life that you envisage. Bring you bike.

Personally I love the country. I have spent 20 years there.

My family is an important part of my life.

Outdoor exercise can be tiring due to the heat, but I enjoy a swim in our

local pool.

Internet and TV fill in other moments.

I also find it good to get out of the country every so often for a change of scene.

Edited by astral

Off topic (sort of).

I don't suppose you get any channels that show NHL (hockey) games ?

I've been considering a sat dish, but only if it will receive Canadian channels so I can get my hockey fix (I'm suffering severe withdrawal symptons, my only relief is checking the scores and standings over the 'net, and frequent trips to various go-go bars) :o

I'm in my 3rd year of retirement in Thailand, although I have to say I'm not new to Thailand, having been working and living here off and on since the mid seventies. I think all the responses to your questions have given you a very good idea of the sort of things you can do over here and you can pick and choose, as it suits you. I spent my first 2 years i8n Bangkok, and came close to killing myself through alcohol abuse. Since being down on my new spread near Pattaya, life is so much better,. and I do many of the activities listed by other members. I think some kind of routine is important. A typical 'home' day for me is up before 8 am (to enjoy the cool mornings), take the dog for a walk, and put her through a short training session, in the pool for a few lengths, breakfast on the terrace, catching up briefly on the overnight news from CNN/BBC; half an hour on my piano; in the office to surf the internet, do my banking/investment management, whilst listening to BBC radio via internet; lunch; back in the office; do a bit of house maintenance and odd chores; afternoon training session with the dog, back in the pool; read the Bnagkok Post pool side whilst listening to the radio; evening walk with the dog; dinner'; watch a bit of TV -comedy/movies/general entertainment/ live sport etc;late evening back on the net; bed and fall asleep with a good book or movie. Or occasionaly some other bed time activities (I am married). Other non- home activities include golf, trips to the bright lights of Pattaya /Bangkok; meals out; trips up country to other parts of Thailand etc etc etc. I am now on my 2nd alcohol free week.,and this is a challenge, as booze is such a part of life, one way or another. I used to write but have often been too hung over since my return to Thailand to do anything very creative.. Now at long last, I'm getting back into it. Also driving without drinking is a big bonus. I speak passable Thai, but I agree with you that it will be very difficult to get much proficiency at your age - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, and you're absolutely correct about the Thais appreciating any efforts to speak their language. Good luck. :o:D

Off topic (sort of).

I don't suppose you get any channels that show NHL (hockey) games ?

I've been considering a sat dish, but only if it will receive Canadian channels so I can get my hockey fix (I'm suffering severe withdrawal symptons, my only relief is checking the scores and standings over the 'net, and frequent trips to various go-go bars) :o

If all else fails you can possibly stream it from the net, if nhl offers it as nba mlb and nfl do. You can add a gizmo to a friends tv in the states or canada that would allow you access to whatever channels are availible to their tv and stream it to your computer

I am now on my 2nd alcohol free week.,and this is a challenge, as booze is such a part of life, one way or another.

It gets easier. The problem for me was that after a few months I started feeling so healthy and good that I thought just one couldn't hurt and then the same cycle started all over again. It is easier if you can find some support group. This doesn't have to be a big deal. It is just like quitting smoking. It is hard and it is good to get all the help you can with it.

I am now on my 2nd alcohol free week.,and this is a challenge, as booze is such a part of life, one way or another.

It gets easier. The problem for me was that after a few months I started feeling so healthy and good that I thought just one couldn't hurt and then the same cycle started all over again. It is easier if you can find some support group. This doesn't have to be a big deal. It is just like quitting smoking. It is hard and it is good to get all the help you can with it.

Thanks for the encouragement TC. It's a bit off thread, but I'm alone here with this probhlem. :D Everyone I know here drinks, including my wife, who I think has a bit of a booze problem herself. Anyone know any reformed alkys in Pattaya? :o Anyway so far so good. Feel OK but very lethargic and sleepy. Hopefully better days ahead. :D

Great Post Mobi,

seems like you have got it well sussed out.

My first 2 years were spent in BK and I had the same problems, out every night till 2am drinking. I just could not hack it at my age.

I moved up to Chailngmai to "get away from it all" and life is a lot smoother now. My Wife has a small restaurant , so I spend some time there, boring the customers and generally pointing at things that need cleaning and arguing with her landlord about this and that.

About 5pm I will start having the first of my 3 Heinies for the day (if I am there).

If I stay home I walk the dog or play games with her. I have a pool but its too cold right now to use (or I am too old to stand the cold, worry I will have a heart attack!!). Spend too much time on the internet when the weather is so glorious outside. Maybee watch some DVD's try and keep out of the Maid's way. potter around the garden. I try and limit what I drink, but sometimes I get carried away and the next day feel like shit and dont want to do anything, but I am better than I used to be.

But the hangovers are a lot worse these days.

I am having a SMALL Condo built in BK so we can go back and see our family and freinds occassionally, stressing occassionally because when I go back, the old routine comes back too! My son lives there so I love to see him obviously.

Sometimes I get bored, but there are always freinds to phone, TV members I have met up here to visit or go out with, Tesco shopping,

Bangkok Post, E-mails to write etc.

Saturdays is "Football Day" or maybee I will go to bed at 8pm and rise at 2am so I can listen to my team playing on the net, then I can go back to bed at 5am and sleep till 10am. I really enjoy that.

I am not complaining, but I think it was the Queen Mother who said "If you are not working, you are dying" and although I feel I have a lot of life left in me (I am only 51) I sometimes miss the cut and thrust of the business world and wonder if I have retired too early?, but there again, I don't enjoy the best of health so I look at it and pretend I am 65 with maybee another 10 years left, so that means I should be taking it easy and enjoying my personal "Golden Years"

Thats what I do, am I as happy as before I retired? I don't know. I cetainly do not miss the British weather and I am applalled by the state the Country is getting itself into these days, but I miss my folks and other Children, luckily enough I can afford to bring them out every year for a holiday, and I go back at least once a year, but I am glad to get back to Thailand .

I never had time to think about retiring before. I came here to see my Son a few times after I got divorced, met my Wife on my third trip and decided to sell up and come here, tried a few business ventures that did not work out and thought, right thats it, stop worrying and enjoy a stress free life.

retirement is like starting a new job, the only differnece is you are the boss and pay your own wages..... It is not always easy and I feel it will constantly need refining.

PS Apologies for the rather long winded BORING post!

I just did a google on " Pattaya alcoholics anonymous" and found this:

There's an AA meeting in Pattaya if you're over that way which meets down in by the Skaew Beach hotel just off 2nd Road.

I did a google on "thailand alcoholics anonymous" and found this:

http://www.aathailand.org/

It looks like there are AA meetings every day in Pataya:

http://www.aathailand.org/schedpatayagrp.html

Hey, you just hit the jackpot !! There is some huge AA roundup going on in Pattaya Feb 17-19 at the Montien Hotel - http://www.aathailand.org/roundup.html

I

Edited by tc101

Not at all - after all us wrinklies don't have anything better to do! :o

By the way, I didn't mention that I retired when I was 55, due to ill health (I'm 60 in June), and divorced my Thai wife after 26 years of marriage in 2003, and have been newly married since early last year. It seems like we all have familiar stories. I worry about doing something purposeful with what's left of my life - will have anothet go at the writing and see howe it progresses. Good luck to you, and watch the booze. (I should talk). :D

I haven't retired yet but this fellow seems to have the right idea. How about fish a little, play with the kids, take a siesta with the wife, a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs! :o

A boat docked in a tiny Thai fishing village. An American tourist complimented the Thai fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Thai. "But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Thai explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family. The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs... I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?" asked the Thai.

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant.

You can then leave this little village and move to Bangkok, Singapore, or even Hong Kong! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Thai.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my Friend, That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the Thai.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

And the moral is: Know where you're going in life... you may already be there.

The trouble with booze and ciggies out here is that they are TOO CHEAP

I still smoke over 30 a day well thats 120 Baht

3 bottles of (get you pissed quick)Chang 90 Baht

So for 210 baht a day I can easily kill myself and leave all my money to my Wife and Children, a little earlier than expected.

210 baht x30 = 6,300 a month x12 =75,600..

So thats just over a thousand pounds a year on the stuff that will kill me.

I'm paying three times that in hospital bills so that I can be fit enough to carry on killing myself.

Oh the complete irony of it!!

I stopped drinking for 3 years, best 3 years of my life in the UK.

Started again 5 years ago.

I would LOVE to be able to stop drinking agian completely but its just to much a part of the fabric of my life. I have a good freind up here who has quit booze and fags virtually at the same time, he says he feels great and I beleive him.

Wish I had his willpower. When I go to my Wife's restaurant I actually count down the hours till 5pm as I dare not start before otherwise it will be more than the 3 I allow myself.

I know that this is all a bit off topic..... but it is a reality of retirement..

I certainly don't want to end up as "the old guy at the end of the bar" who we have all seen, same place, every day, same time, seeing out the remainder of his days in a drunken blur, a cycle that never stops for him.

So you are NOT alone, there are many people on this forum who have a drink problem, some admit to it and others don't.

TP

I haven't retired yet but this fellow seems to have the right idea. How about fish a little, play with the kids, take a siesta with the wife, a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs! :o

A boat docked in a tiny Thai fishing village. An American tourist complimented the Thai fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Thai. "But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Thai explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family. The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs... I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?" asked the Thai.

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant.

You can then leave this little village and move to Bangkok, Singapore, or even Hong Kong! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Thai.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my Friend, That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the Thai.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

What a FANTASTIC post.

Has me smiling from ear to ear :D

Thank You

TP

."

............ And after that?" said the Thai.

What a FANTASTIC post.

Has me smiling from ear to ear :D

Thank You

I second that. It sort of reminds me of that question everyone was asking in the Uk when the lottery first started: How much money does it take to be happy? It depends on what you want to do with your life, but certainly it takes a lot less here than it does in UK or USA.

TP I used to smoke 4-5 packs a day (depending on what time I slept). Gave up in 1983, haven't touched one since. I'm now trying my will mpower with booze so we'll see. As you (and I) said, the lifestyle here isn't condusive. So far in my 2 alcohol-free weeks, I've had to take my wife out on the town to celebrate Valentines Day, and a friend took us both out this week to celebrate his 65th birthday. On both occasions everyone drank and I sat sipping bitter lemons, diet pepsis, sodas and water until I was water logged and bored. Still, I stuck at it.

TC we're ignoring you. I think we all forgot to mention that fishing, sailing, windsurfing, para sailing, diving, ten pin bowling, go karting and goodness knows what else is available here in the good old LOS. To say nothiing of the women. :o (I assume you're single).

Thanks for the links on AA. I'm afraid some of us retiring Englsih guys sometimes have a problem going 'cold' into something like an AA meeting. The bash at the Montien sounds frightening - like one of the never ending business seminars/conferences I used to attend when I was working!! I did read up on the AA a while back, but the 'Good Book' and all that religious stuff put me off. I guess I'll soldier along alone. :D

After all these dull comments, about the efforts the Thaigouvernment makes to change the view on booze and cigarettes in this addiction ridden country, here on TV, I 'm more than happy to see a few guy's speaking out what's the biggest problem for many Thais and expats! Thumbs up!

Patex, who declared the year 2006 for his personal alc-free year :o

Thanks for the links on AA. I'm afraid some of us retiring Englsih guys sometimes have a problem going 'cold' into something like an AA meeting. The bash at the Montien sounds frightening - like one of the never ending business seminars/conferences I used to attend when I was working!! I did read up on the AA a while back, but the 'Good Book' and all that religious stuff put me off. I guess I'll soldier along alone. :o

That original book was written in the 30's. There are plenty of athiests and agnostics staying sober in AA today. I understand the uncomfortable feeling walking into an AA meeting the first time, not knowing anyone. Try a small meeting. You will meet people quickly. You will be welcomed with open arms. The new person is the most important person at any meeting.

I am 55. I live in the USA. I retired 2 years ago. I am thinking of coming to Thailand, first just to visit and maybe later to live. I am curious about how other people who have retired there spend their time.

How do I spend my time here in the USA:

When I first retired I had a lot of fun, then got really bored for a few months, then started having a good time again as I got into the retirement life style.

I read a lot. I work out at the YMCA. I ride my bicycle on the days I don't go to the YMCA.

I watch DVD movies and sometimes go to the movies. I have lunch with friends most days. I spend too much time on the internet.

When I first retired I took creative writting classes, thinking I had some great book inside of me. I found out how much hard work there is to writting and quit. Then I took some art classes and found out I didn't have much talent and quit. I am still kind of looking for some creative pursuit but haven't found it.

I don't drink. Drinking seems to be the big danger for people who retire early.

tc101,

If you do not need to work for money, you could donate your time and knowledge to the local community.

I, along with my Thai wife of 35 years, will be helping out in the local Wat by providing pro bono english classes. We will also provide pro bono lectures in local schools and universities.

We will be buying or building a home in Ubon Ratchatani later this year.

Ubon is not a good place for "Party Animals."

Ubon is quiet with very few farangs but it is a nice slower pace from the tourist areas.

:o ChiefBEM

Great Post Mobi,

seems like you have got it well sussed out.

My first 2 years were spent in BK and I had the same problems, out every night till 2am drinking. I just could not hack it at my age.

I moved up to Chailngmai to "get away from it all" and life is a lot smoother now. My Wife has a small restaurant , so I spend some time there, boring the customers and generally pointing at things that need cleaning and arguing with her landlord about this and that.

About 5pm I will start having the first of my 3 Heinies for the day (if I am there).

If I stay home I walk the dog or play games with her. I have a pool but its too cold right now to use (or I am too old to stand the cold, worry I will have a heart attack!!). Spend too much time on the internet when the weather is so glorious outside. Maybee watch some DVD's try and keep out of the Maid's way. potter around the garden. I try and limit what I drink, but sometimes I get carried away and the next day feel like shit and dont want to do anything, but I am better than I used to be.

But the hangovers are a lot worse these days.

I am having a SMALL Condo built in BK so we can go back and see our family and freinds occassionally, stressing occassionally because when I go back, the old routine comes back too! My son lives there so I love to see him obviously.

Sometimes I get bored, but there are always freinds to phone, TV members I have met up here to visit or go out with, Tesco shopping,

Bangkok Post, E-mails to write etc.

Saturdays is "Football Day" or maybee I will go to bed at 8pm and rise at 2am so I can listen to my team playing on the net, then I can go back to bed at 5am and sleep till 10am. I really enjoy that.

I am not complaining, but I think it was the Queen Mother who said "If you are not working, you are dying" and although I feel I have a lot of life left in me (I am only 51) I sometimes miss the cut and thrust of the business world and wonder if I have retired too early?, but there again, I don't enjoy the best of health so I look at it and pretend I am 65 with maybee another 10 years left, so that means I should be taking it easy and enjoying my personal "Golden Years"

Thats what I do, am I as happy as before I retired? I don't know. I cetainly do not miss the British weather and I am applalled by the state the Country is getting itself into these days, but I miss my folks and other Children, luckily enough I can afford to bring them out every year for a holiday, and I go back at least once a year, but I am glad to get back to Thailand .

I never had time to think about retiring before. I came here to see my Son a few times after I got divorced, met my Wife on my third trip and decided to sell up and come here, tried a few business ventures that did not work out and thought, right thats it, stop worrying and enjoy a stress free life.

retirement is like starting a new job, the only differnece is you are the boss and pay your own wages..... It is not always easy and I feel it will constantly need refining.

I don't think this is a boring post.Many of us more or less are in Thai Pauly's position.He has given an honest and relevant account which I found interesting.There's a lot to be said for knocking off the booze in retirement or quasi retirement if you have been worried about it for health or other reasons.

QUOTE(Mobi D'Ark @ 2006-02-17 14:43:54) *

Thanks for the links on AA. I'm afraid some of us retiring Englsih guys sometimes have a problem going 'cold' into something like an AA meeting. The bash at the Montien sounds frightening - like one of the never ending business seminars/conferences I used to attend when I was working!! I did read up on the AA a while back, but the 'Good Book' and all that religious stuff put me off. I guess I'll soldier along alone. rolleyes.gif

That original book was written in the 30's. There are plenty of athiests and agnostics staying sober in AA today. I understand the uncomfortable feeling walking into an AA meeting the first time, not knowing anyone. Try a small meeting. You will meet people quickly. You will be welcomed with open arms. The new person is the most important person at any meeting.

The bash at the Montien is great! you'll never meet a nicer bunch of guys from all over Thailand and visitors from all over the world. There are also thousands of Buddhists who use the principles of AA to stay sober. Get along to the Montien and have a look at some of the workshops.

I was scared to go to an AA meeting in Bangkok 13 years ago. It took me 5 more years of torture, humiliation and near death, before I was beaten into surrender. Believe me, if you have a drinking problem and don't abstain, it NEVER gets better, no matter how hard we try to control it - it always gets worse.

I thought I could quit by use of my own will-power - how wrong I was! I f you have diaharea, can you stop it by will-power? If you have a drink problem take the medicine, which is AA.

The amazing thing is that they are/we are a bunch of ex drunks who welcome newcomers with open arms. This is, in fact, the most important step in recovery - helping the guy who is still suffering. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

This year there is a Thai presence, with 20 Thais who have come down from Khon Kaen, where there is a rapidly expanding AA group, both Thai and farang. It has even spread to Udon Thani, Sakkon Nakhon and Mahasarakham.

You can come and pick up some literature in Thai or English.

If there are any retired guys around Isarn who are looking for something worthwhile to do with their time, I could help you out.

This is an excellent thread topic. I'm 47 and retired early 9 months ago. Spent 2 months in Manila and then flew here to Bangkok. This city is amazing. A warning: after living here you may not be able to live anywhere else, i mean, it's that interesting. The original plan was to travel all around Asia, but I just don't want to leave here.

I think there's a saying that doing nothing is the hardest thing to do of them all. I found that to be true to a certain extent after i stopped working.

To answer your question:

I'm a language person so I enjoy studying Thai, and i try to stay current in other languages that i worked with. You can take a course (i.e. at AUA) in Thai or just have fun studying it by yourself, and it's a great conversation starter.

I play guitar so i spend time playing old material, learning new, and work on my singing. :o I may try to form or join a band at some point. If you have a project like that that you're passionate about, that would be great.

Drinking too much is a real danger here, in a city filled with interesting bars and clubs. I have met several people here who I believe are actually here to drink themselves to death. Literally.

I went down to Pattaya, but didn't like it. I think I'm the exception, but after a couple days there i had had enough, and returned to Bangkok. You could live there very cheaply. I don't know what people do other than drink, eat and chase girls there.

Important: you'd better have some friends here. Things are not only more interesting when you share with others, but it may keep you from losing your freakin' mind! Seems like there are a lot of loner types here, and i see plenty of foreigners who look they are losing it.

What else to occupy my retirement... well, you might want to go back to working at something, that's where i'm at now, and i'm considering paths. So if you're like me you'll spend a percentage of time scheming and plotting and dreaming and sitting at coffee shops with a gleam in your eye. :D

Hmm, Bangkok is just amazing. I couldn't imagine being bored here. Something for everyone, really. Eating, hanging out in malls, girl-watching, reading, meeting new people (people-watching is amazing here, especially watching the foreigners who are here)...

Come here. Now! :D