Do We Really Need To Obtian A Thai Driving License?

jkinbkk

The reason I ask is that if you hire a car from any of the well known International Rental companies like Avis, Hertz, Budget they only require a copy of 'a driving license'.

Not even an International Lisence is required.

What are the real consequences and severity of such if you are driving on a UK for example, if stopped by the law or if in an accident while driving your own car?

I understand that one can expect to part with a little tea money, thats for sure, but that would be the case even if one had a Thai License because the reason your being stopped in the first place (often) is only due to the law seizing an extortion opportunity.

A Thai friend of mine has been driving on a US License for 20 years, he took his test during his studies in the States. He has never taken his Thai Test.

He states that "provided you can show you have been tested and hold a license you have therefore been assessed as competent to drive. That is adequate"

Maybe a naive approach, but thats why I ask this forum for its knowledge on the matter?

Let's hear it!

As far as I know there is an intenational convention about this.

Somewhere rattles the 45 days limit for driving on your national driving license, if necessary supported by an International Driving Permit

However, your national driving license, for Thailand, would need to be also in the English langiage.

And do remember Thailand is one of the countries that ratified the rule that traffic from the right has right of way.

Driving in Thailand you would doubt it, but I was assured it was true.

Like England, Australia, New-Zealand & others driving on the left.

Also worth noting is that in thailand it is the car that is insured , not the driver. Driving without a license should not invalidate any insurance a car may have but you can have this confirmed by the insurance company for peace of mind.

Also worth noting is that even with full comprehensive cover, should you have an accident and there be a third party fatality your cover may not be sufficient to compensate the family of the victim should they take you to court and be awarded damages in excess of your cover.

Drive very carefully in other words.

you can legally drive here for 6 mths on a UK licence.. if you have the new style UK plastic licence you can just go to the transport office and get a Thai licence.. (you will need a copy of your passport, doctors certificate and do the basic colour blind and reaction test) it takes about 1 hour.

you can legally drive here for 6 mths on a UK licence.. if you have the new style UK plastic licence you can just go to the transport office and get a Thai licence.. (you will need a copy of your passport, doctors certificate and do the basic colour blind and reaction test) it takes about 1 hour.

Wish it was still that simple here mate. At the test centre near Pattaya, they recently made it compulsory to also sit and watch videos on road safety and take a multiple-guess test in addition to the normal stuff you mentioned. . This applies even if you are renewing a 5 year Thai license.

Wish it was still that simple here mate. At the test centre near Pattaya, they recently made it compulsory to also sit and watch videos on road safety and take a multiple-guess test in addition to the normal stuff you mentioned. . This applies even if you are renewing a 5 year Thai license.

strange as what you are referring to is the test itself. I am just outside Bkk (nakhon pathom)

why dont you just go up to sattahip or rayong.

Thaicbr is right, and your friend is wrong. Driving without a valid license can have tremendous consequences, this invalidates your insurance e.g. And while the insurance company will still pay 3rd party victims, your own damage they will not pay plus they will try to get reimbursed from you for the 3rd party payments they made.

How recently was this?

I think it has always been the case that this should happen but that it was not being enforced. When my tgf renewed her 1 year to 5 years in October she did not need to do them. I also did read somewhere that people were saying they had to do this specifically when renewing a 5 year licence - but my memory may be faulty..unsure.png

Edited by topt

Obviously you can get by without one, as many people do.

I find it much easier to have one though. Very easy and cheap to obtain, so if some policeman decides he wants to confiscate it, it's really no big deal. Useful ID for other things as well.

Losing your home licence (at least it it's a UK one) is a real pain.

How recently was this?

I think it has always been the case that this should happen but that it was not being enforced. When my tgf renewed her 1 year to 5 years in October she did not need to do them. I also did read somewhere that people were saying they had to do this specifically when renewing a 5 year licence - but my memory may be faulty..unsure.png

I have also experienced this a month ago in Isaan. Its a new rule so that Farangs have to endure the same Video and Bingo test (with very suspect & ambiguois English multi choice questions.)

You have to take a test for a Thai license regardless of any foreign license or permit you hold.

Your not exactly wrong BUT not correct either .

You only have to do the color blind and braking test. You do not need to do the computer or actual test. At least at the 2 transportation offices near me (Nakhon Pathom)

This has been for a UK. USA and German license.

sent from my Q6

Edited by thaicbr

Been stopped several times driving rentals or family members motors & never been asked to produce a licence ,only my passport.I only have a UK licence.

parted with a few 200b handshakes.

If they never asked for your licence, why did they asked for 200Baht? unsure.png

Many moons ago hired a car from Avis at Phitsanulok airport they only required a copy of my UK driving license and Passport, the insurance cover was for the car, I was told I could legally drive for up to 90 days after that I had to get a Thai driving license.

Maybe things have changed dunno, can't see why though.

Hiring from a Thai owned car hire company instead of a large international one may be doggy.smile.png

When I have been stopped I have always been asked for my driving license UK or now my Thai one not my passport but you are required to carry a copy of your passport with you in the vehicle if your an alien farangie.

• Like 1

When I have been stopped I have always been asked for my driving license UK or now my Thai one not my passport but you are required to carry a copy of your passport with you in the vehicle if your an alien farangie.

I think by Thai law you have to carry ID and although your passport number is on a thai D/L just to be on the safe side,I laminated a credit card sized copy of my passport details page cos its far easier to carry in the pocket/wallet.

Edited by DILLIGAD

I have also experienced this a month ago in Isaan. Its a new rule so that Farangs have to endure the same Video and Bingo test (with very suspect & ambiguois English multi choice questions.)

Where in Isaan? Isaan is a huge geographic area. What province or local LTO was this?

Many moons ago hired a car from Avis at Phitsanulok airport they only required a copy of my UK driving license and Passport, the insurance cover was for the car, I was told I could legally drive for up to 90 days after that I had to get a Thai driving license.

Maybe things have changed dunno, can't see why though.

Hiring from a Thai owned car hire company instead of a large international one may be doggy.smile.png

Every rental I have done in the past 6 years has requested to see a valid DL and they make a copy.

The 'international' car rental agencies in Thailand are Thai-owned and operated franchises. They are the same as local national car-rental agencies with regard to insurance and liabilities, etc.. The hole-in-the-wall car rental shops that proliferate in the touristy places may be more into the 'dodgy' category.

I have been asked to show a DL on 9 of my last 10 traffic stops. The other one, the cop just asked if I was going to Khon Kaen which I wasn't, then waived me on.... strange one that was!

Edited by NanLaew

A Thai friend of mine has been driving on a US License for 20 years, he took his test during his studies in the States. He has never taken his Thai Test.

He states that "provided you can show you have been tested and hold a license you have therefore been assessed as competent to drive. That is adequate"

The OP's Thai friend is breaking the law. Any US license issued 20 years ago will have expired. Technically, driving with an expired license is the same as driving without one.

Having said that, I 'surrendered' my expired US license to an obstinately extortionate and stupid BKK traffic cop who insisted that nothing less than 5000 baht 'spot fine' would prevent him from issuing the ticket and prevent me having to go to the police station, pay a 400 baht 'official' fine and get my license back.

A Thai driving license will be accepted as ID for many purposes and saves you taking your passport with you, usually. If an officer of the law doesn't like your face and you got stopped for a valid reason, you may find yourself losing a few hours at a police station plus paying tea money. I have manged to avoid paying Farang price by producing one.

I took my Swiss D/L, International D/L, certificate of residence in Thailand, copy of passport and visa extension and Photos My wife helped me fill out a form or two.

The test was a joke, a monkey can do it, I signed in to watch the film and was yanked out after 5 minutes to get my lovely new license. ฿250.- I think.

Where in Isaan? Isaan is a huge geographic area. What province or local LTO was this?

Does it matter?

Surin Province,Rattanaburi Transport Office (its nr tatoom), They are crap and my friend wasted 2 trips there!!!

Edited by DILLIGAD

Does it matter?

Surin Province,Rattanaburi Transport Office (its nr tatoom), They are crap and my friend wasted 2 trips there!!!

Yes, it does matter, just as it matters who the information is coming from. And this information is also second hand information.

Too much unreliable and quite often simply not true information all over the net.

Thaicbr is right, and your friend is wrong. Driving without a valid license can have tremendous consequences, this invalidates your insurance e.g. And while the insurance company will still pay 3rd party victims, your own damage they will not pay plus they will try to get reimbursed from you for the 3rd party payments they made.

stevenl had the best answer I found. Google "subrogation" for the rest of the story.

Edited by impulse

Does it matter?

Just nice to know if the new policy is being enforced in other parts of the Republic of Isaan. Apparently Udon Thani (Nong Sung) LTO is but Nongkhai isn't.

This may matter to some.

• Like 1

I think by Thai law you have to carry ID and although your passport number is on a thai D/L just to be on the safe side,I laminated a credit card sized copy of my passport details page cos its far easier to carry in the pocket/wallet.

I think by Thai law you have to carry ID

By Thai law as a foreigner you have to be able to produce your passport in a reasonable period of time. So no, you don't have to carry ID on you 24/7.

Having quoted this before on some other thread the new 5 year Thai driving in the Sukhothai province does not have your passport number on it, well mine doesn't I have a Thai ID number instead.

"passport copy" As stated it is only a requirement but also right that you have a reasonable amount of time to produce you original passport if you find yourself in a position to do so.

Edited by Kwasaki

Does it matter?

Yes, it does matter, just as it matters who the information is coming from. And this information is also second hand information.

Too much unreliable and quite often simply not true information all over the net.

Very true. and where did I state that I was not there with him, so this is second hand info?

You, my friend are jumping to conclusions but i do agree with your sentiments even though incorrect on this occasion.

Edited by DILLIGAD

I had to renew my licenses about a week ago. I went to Land Transport Dept Pattaya.

The tests were:

1/ Pick the colour. Choice was red, green and yellow.

2/ Brake test. Get off the accelerator and on to the brake before the light array showed red.

3/ Peripheral vision test.

Half an hour to wait for the test. 2 minutes for the test. An hour 30 minutes wait for pix and license.

My 5 year Thai licence has my countries passport number where it states ID No. This is in the republic of south Phetchabun. A neigbour of mine went recently to renew a 5 year licence and spent just about the whole day there. Apparently one question on the exam asked "are tanks allowed on the streets of Bangkok?"

My wife just passed the joke of a test on the driving circuit after two attempts and only just, becuse hubby was there with a sweetener for the examiner. Something about "I like to drink Regency in the evenings"ph34r.png