Mcdonald's Thailand Imposes One-Hour Time Limit For Customers

webfact

McDonald's Thailand imposes one-hour time limit for customers

By Coconuts Bangkok

mac.jpeg

Thai Ronald McDonald: Not creepy at all. Photo: FastFoodHut.com

BANGKOK: -- Cultural differences can be funny. For instance, in the United States, if one were to spend more than an hour inside of a McDonald’s, it could likely be chalked up to a medical emergency (“fast” food being the entire point of the operation), whereas in Thailand, hanging out in your local Mickey-D’s is perfectly acceptable behavior. Or it was, rather.

The Bangkok Post is reporting that McThai, the operator of Thailand’s McDonalds franchises, has just announced that customers will not be allowed to loiter in their restaurants for upwards of an hour.

This means no more Filet-o-Fish with [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...-for-customers/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-12-19

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't frequent McDonald's all that often, but there is one near a hospital that I go to for regular medical checkups. If I arrive early, I usually pop in and get something to eat. Depending on the time, I occasionally stop back before heading home. I've seen the place full to the point where there was no place to sit and the same people were sitting at the window tables when I went in before the appointment and 2 1/2 hours later when I left.

Do all Thailand McD's have free wifi? And is that why this is an issue???

I don't frequent McD's here or elsewhere for food reasons, so don't have to worry about getting booted out...

And frankly, sitting at a cramped, undersized table and hard chair in a McD's fast food outlet isn't exactly my idea of a fun or pleasant place to hang out....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Some times the Thais put up with way too much "taking advantage" behaviour. I have walked out of McDs before ordering because there were no vacant tables. I've seen job interviews, tutoring and just plain hogging a table by one person spreading their laptop and papers about.

But enforcement is another matter; politely telling some one to pack up *might* cause a loss of face and that's a big no no! smile.png

I wish the same would be applied to the farang who camp out in the food court at Central Festival Pattaya. Whenever we eat there most of the (marginally) more comfortable seating is occupied by sleeping backpackers, older book/Kindle readers who may or may not bother to buy a drink to justifiy there apparent permanent residence and others who don't seem to have any occupation other than watching people pass by.

It's almost as aggravating as the farang contingent who visit the grocery store to park in front of the newspapers & magazines on sale in order to read them through without the bother of having to pay for them.

• Like 2

I wish them the best of luck with enforcing that...

It won't be hard, just tell them to go after the hour is up. It's not as if any Farang will be working in McDonalds to give the Thai guys the chance of getting about six of them together then you know what.

I don't frequent McDonald's all that often, but there is one near a hospital that I go to for regular medical checkups. If I arrive early, I usually pop in and get something to eat. Depending on the time, I occasionally stop back before heading home. I've seen the place full to the point where there was no place to sit and the same people were sitting at the window tables when I went in before the appointment and 2 1/2 hours later when I left.

Are you being treated posssibly for addiction? McD before Dr. appointment and after again?

• Like 1

An hour actually seems a bit long for somebody ordering a small coke. They should simply put up signs that there is no loitering and/or that tables are for dining customers only. I don't think anybody believes there will be much enforcement or confrontations asking people to leave but they just want to get the word out that people should find other places to hang out or have meetings.

There is indeed a cultural difference. How many Eurp or Yank restaurants would allow outside vendors to come inside their shop to sell food? I find it quite an imposition. An additional imposition is to think you can sit in a food and drink shop and order nothing. Yet it seems quite tolerated here and apparently some places in the West. I was having a beer at a walkway table last night when two falang acquaintances sat down to talk, neither ordered a drink and both stayed quite a while. How many of you Brits order a tea and expect second or third helpings of hot water? Another unwarranted imposition, yet apparently tolerated. I've even been asked for my used tea bag--not really an imposition on me, but it certainly is to the shop owner.

We seem to agree that prolonged sitting without purchase is primarily a cultural difference. The main question is how does Mickey Thais' management enforce their new time limits. One poster suggested discontinuing the wi-fi. However, wi-fi is probably not the only reason many people, especially teenagers, occupy the seats--they seem to believe Mickey D's is a social experience.

Being the instigator I am, I would post charges for the tables and wi-fi usage--free for one hour with minimum of one purchase per occupant, or B200/hour. A few more baht to the local police and they would enforce the issue for Mickey Thai.

Nothing will happen, I asked the same of the Suzuki mall Starbucks as to why students could study all day, literally no seats to customers. I wrote to Starbucks Thailand and surprise I received a reply....they would look into it. Nothing changed. Singapore Starbucks has a policy, no study between 12-2pm, 5-7PM, all weekend and it is enforced....at these times students are asked to leave.

Some times the Thais put up with way too much "taking advantage" behaviour. I have walked out of McDs before ordering because there were no vacant tables. I've seen job interviews, tutoring and just plain hogging a table by one person spreading their laptop and papers about.

But enforcement is another matter; politely telling some one to pack up *might* cause a loss of face and that's a big no no! smile.png

I wish the same would be applied to the farang who camp out in the food court at Central Festival Pattaya. Whenever we eat there most of the (marginally) more comfortable seating is occupied by sleeping backpackers, older book/Kindle readers who may or may not bother to buy a drink to justifiy there apparent permanent residence and others who don't seem to have any occupation other than watching people pass by.

It's almost as aggravating as the farang contingent who visit the grocery store to park in front of the newspapers & magazines on sale in order to read them through without the bother of having to pay for them.

It's all about the air conditioning, stay in a guest house = pay electric bill, go to mall= no bill.

• Like 1

There is indeed a cultural difference. How many Eurp or Yank restaurants would allow outside vendors to come inside their shop to sell food? I find it quite an imposition. An additional imposition is to think you can sit in a food and drink shop and order nothing. Yet it seems quite tolerated here and apparently some places in the West. I was having a beer at a walkway table last night when two falang acquaintances sat down to talk, neither ordered a drink and both stayed quite a while. How many of you Brits order a tea and expect second or third helpings of hot water? Another unwarranted imposition, yet apparently tolerated. I've even been asked for my used tea bag--not really an imposition on me, but it certainly is to the shop owner.

We seem to agree that prolonged sitting without purchase is primarily a cultural difference. The main question is how does Mickey Thais' management enforce their new time limits. One poster suggested discontinuing the wi-fi. However, wi-fi is probably not the only reason many people, especially teenagers, occupy the seats--they seem to believe Mickey D's is a social experience.

Being the instigator I am, I would post charges for the tables and wi-fi usage--free for one hour with minimum of one purchase per occupant, or B200/hour. A few more baht to the local police and they would enforce the issue for Mickey Thai.

Do you really think this is (or should be) an issue that would require police intervention? Post a sign and problem over. Yea a few may still stay too long but the issue of not having enough seats because of people loitering would pretty much be over without the need for confrontations or arrests..

Edited by Nisa