Extend Non Immigrant 'o'

Hi, I'm a single 59 year old Brit who has quite happily used a multi entry non-immigrant O visa (issued in UK) to stay in Thailand for 90 days and gone home. By timing it right I can get three entries from a single visa with no unnecessary involvement with the authorities. I generally spend 90 days here and 90 days in the UK. The advice from bar room lawyers conflict.

This time I'm staying in Thailand for 4 months and need to know my options:

a) Extend by 30 days at the local immigration office (Jomtien), is this possible? how much? would I also need to register my address?

B) Do a land visa run and re-enter using the multi entry visa valid till March 2013, would I get 90 days, 30 or even 15 days?

c) A land tour of surrounding countries, again what would I get on re-entry?

there's no particular reason for avoiding officials as I've been happy to leave after 90 days but this time it's different. I've toyed with the idea of a retirement visa but it doesn't seem to be suitable for my needs. I have searched for an answer but can't find it. Thanks in advance for any information and do forgive what must be a perennial question.

Andy

If you actually have a multi entry non immigrant O visa any entry during the one year it is valid from issue gets a new 90 day stay regardless of how you arrive.

a. Not possiable.

b. 90 days on every entry.

c. 90 days as you have a multi entry visa.

Thank you all for the prompt advice. It must be that all those who said I could 'extend' my visa were referring to acquiring a retirement visa. I could go that route but it seems a lot of bother with forms and costs for entry then more forms and costs for permission to re-enter. With just the 'O' I can come and go as I please but for 90 days or less. Border run here I come.............................

You extend for one year for retirement - it is not a retirement visa or non immigrant O-A visa - and only requires proof of financials once a year and fee of 1,900 baht. For free travel during that period a multi re-entry permit at 3,800 baht would be required but then no need to worry about leaving very 90 days or less (but you would have to report address - by mail perhaps) if you did not travel. Obtaining new multi entry O visa will likely timing your trips to home country as they are not available most places.

• 1 year later...

Trust this post is the right one to ask this question. Have recenty posted on another subject elsewhere.

I have a non imm 'O' Visa that expires mid February. I could go to Laos and renew for a further 90 days just before then to extend to mid May..

As posted in my other question, I hope to depart for France mid March (Schengen visa permitting for my Thai wife) and return to Thailand mid June.

Then depending on UK Visa application would hope to go to Uk in August, or return to Thailand if not granted..

Now I have read / been advised about extending my Visa one year based on Marriage....Retirement Visas etc, but then Re-entry permits would be required etc. Also it means getting Income Certificate from British Embassy...all the costs add up and I just think it would be 'cleaner' to simply renew my non imm 'O' Visa.

Is it possible to do this within Thailand???

Personal profile - age 66, UK Retirement pensions around £13,000 per annum (but paid to UK bank account), plus I have approx £50,000 on UK Bank Deposit.

thanks

Trust this post is the right one to ask this question. Have recenty posted on another subject elsewhere.

I have a non imm 'O' Visa that expires mid February. I could go to Laos and renew for a further 90 days just before then to extend to mid May..

As posted in my other question, I hope to depart for France mid March (Schengen visa permitting for my Thai wife) and return to Thailand mid June.

Then depending on UK Visa application would hope to go to Uk in August, or return to Thailand if not granted..

Now I have read / been advised about extending my Visa one year based on Marriage....Retirement Visas etc, but then Re-entry permits would be required etc. Also it means getting Income Certificate from British Embassy...all the costs add up and I just think it would be 'cleaner' to simply renew my non imm 'O' Visa.

Is it possible to do this within Thailand???

Personal profile - age 66, UK Retirement pensions around £13,000 per annum (but paid to UK bank account), plus I have approx £50,000 on UK Bank Deposit.

thanks

You cannot renew a visa in Thailand. You can only do it at an embassy or consulate.

You could get an extension of stay based upon marriage. Your income is more than enough to meet the 40k baht requirement.

You could get a new visa in Savvanakhet Laos.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Think going to Savvanakhet is not feasible as I am in North of Tailand (again adds to cost as would have to go to BKK first I think).

With income does it have to be in Thai Bank?

I can get Bank Attestation from UK BUT it tkaes longer than seven days to get here.

Would an Income Attestation from British Embassy be sufficient? What would be its time limit?

Thanks for the prompt response.

Think going to Savvanakhet is not feasible as I am in North of Tailand (again adds to cost as would have to go to BKK first I think).

With income does it have to be in Thai Bank?

I can get Bank Attestation from UK BUT it tkaes longer than seven days to get here.

Would an Income Attestation from British Embassy be sufficient? What would be its time limit?

The British Embassy do not do "Attestations". They will provide a letter confirming income against evidence for that income. Such a letter is always required by immigration if extending by using the income method.

The "income" does not have to be in a Thai bank but immigration may ask for proof that income from abroad is , in fact, being utilised for living expenses.

Edited by Sceptict11

An income letter from the UK embassy or the consulate in Chiang Mai would be all you would need. You would need to show proof of your pension to them. The letter according to the rules should be valid for 6 months.

You can fly to fly from Chiang Mai to Udon and then go overland to the bridge in Mukdahan then to Savannahet.