Obama Nominates Kerry For Secretary Of State

webfact

Obama nominates Kerry for Secretary of State

WASHINGTON: -- President Barack Obama named Massachusetts Senator John Kerry as his choice to become the next U.S. secretary of state, saying he has the respect and trust of leaders around the world.

Kerry would replace Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who has previously said she planned to leave the post. Obama said Kerry would continue the work that she's done to restore U.S. influence globally.

Kerry "is not going to need a lot of on-the-job training," Obama said in making the announcement at the White House today. His fellow Democrat's knowledge of U.S. policy and relationships with foreign leaders "makes him a perfect choice" to become secretary of state, Obama said.

The nomination of Kerry, 69, who is chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, is subject to Senate confirmation and sets in motion a shuffle of Obama's top national security and foreign policy advisers for his second term.

Kerry became the leading contender for the post after Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, withdrew from consideration. He is a longtime ally of Obama. At the 2004 Democratic convention where Kerry became the party's presidential nominee, Obama was selected to deliver the keynote address. An Illinois state senator at the time who was running for the U.S. Senate seat he would win that November, Obama gained national attention with his speech.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...1222-2bs8w.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2012-12-22

footer_n.gif

At least Kerry has not been proven to go on talk shows and tell untruths. He should be a good choice for Sec. State.

IMO had he won the presidency, the world would be in a better way now.

Yes,.. maybe so.

But lets not forget that this whole notion of government in the US as with the rest of the world is little more than a dog and pony show while the real leaders pull all their manipulative strings from above!

• Like 1

Kerry should have been president. A great man, a great American; I'm confident he'll make a great secretary of state. It's funny that I agree with John McCain on this one. That's a little scary. However, I think the republicans mostly wanted Kerry instead of Rice because the Massachusetts senate seat opens up and they hope to take it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Kerry is blood relative and I would trust a room full of angry Kraits and Russell Vipers more.

'angry Kraits and Russell Vipers?' you must hang out in different circles. I don't have a clue what those are. Did you see the movie: 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels'? are you the odd character who is kept in the locked room in the basement?

Kerry is 69 years old, Hillary 65, Biden 70. While they are good choices for their jobs, they're aging rapidly. The Reps presented a lot of new people in the limelight recently, the Democrats stick to their old-boy network. These 3 are probably too old in 2016. A younger guy in the high-profile job of secretary of state might have been better to produce a valid candidate for the democrats. Looks like the powers that control both parties alike plan for a change of government next time.

Kerry is 69 years old, Hillary 65, Biden 70. While they are good choices for their jobs, they're aging rapidly. The Reps presented a lot of new people in the limelight recently, the Democrats stick to their old-boy network. These 3 are probably too old in 2016. A younger guy in the high-profile job of secretary of state might have been better to produce a valid candidate for the democrats. Looks like the powers that control both parties alike plan for a change of government next time.

Kerry already lost for president and in modern times parties don't nominate previous losers to run again. Biden I think is too old and I hope he doesn't run. Hillary is a woman and may age better, let's see how she hangs after her rest period. If Hillary doesn't run, yes it is a wide open race for the democrats.

Kerry already lost for president and in modern times parties don't nominate previous losers to run again. Biden I think is too old and I hope he doesn't run. Hillary is a woman and may age better, let's see how she hangs after her rest period. If Hillary doesn't run, yes it is a wide open race for the democrats.

Hilary is a shoe-in and no brainer winner for 2016. The Dems will do anything to get her to run. Maybe they are buying her and Bill a private island to relax on for a few years before campaigning starts. I can't see any other Democrat that the new crop of Republicans like Marco Rubio wouldn't have a shot against. It's just her.

Hilary is a shoe-in and no brainer winner for 2016. The Dems will do anything to get her to run. Maybe they are buying her and Bill a private island to relax on for a few years before campaigning starts. I can't see any other Democrat that the new crop of Republicans like Marco Rubio wouldn't have a shot against. It's just her.

If Hillary isn't running, she should make that definite sooner than later, and that gives some democrats some years to enhance their profile.

Republicans dish up young hopefuls like a 9 year old tries new breakfast cereals. Within weeks or months, the bright star fades, and they're busy hanging up glitter at the podium - to praise the next great white hope. Dems have plenty of young blood to step forward. Often times, a successful candidate is one who gains notice late in the race - Jimmy Carter is but one example. I wouldn't be surprised if Michelle Obama steps up to the plate. That would be exciting. Imagine Michelle running against Sarah Palin or an old warhorse like McCain or Dole (I know, they won't run again, but I bandied their names as examples of how Reps most often put an aging white man in the drivers seat).

If Hillary isn't running, she should make that definite sooner than later, and that gives some democrats some years to enhance their profile.

I'd be absolutely stunned if there are people out there who don't think Hilary's early departure from her current role as Sec. of State

is to concentrate her efforts on her 2016 Presidential run. Unfettered by constraints of her high office and loyalty to the President who

appointed her she is unstoppable. Add "Big, Bad Billy to the mix and hang on for the ride.

I'd be absolutely stunned if there are people out there who don't think Hilary's early departure from her current role as Sec. of State

is to concentrate her efforts on her 2016 Presidential run. Unfettered by constraints of her high office and loyalty to the President who

appointed her she is unstoppable. Add "Big, Bad Billy to the mix and hang on for the ride.

It is normal and expected for ANY state secretary to not serve out the full two terms of a two term presidency.

Hillary would be bonkers to announce sooner than necessary, as it would give the opposition more time to poison the well.

I just wish she had won the primary instead of Obama as she would be President now. Obama had years and years left to be president, but Hillary doesn't.

Of the two upcoming appointments, Kerry is a lock to be confirmed. Chuck Hagel for Defense Secretary will likely not be confirmed even though on paper they are both qualified and the trouble with Hagel is the perception that he is indifferent towards Israel as a special relation to the USA. Kerry on the other hand, is very close to Netanyahu and is very much pro-Israel. It is simply interesting to see how these two nominations and confirmations play out. There is actually a strong chance that the Hagel nomination will not happen as the interested lobbies are working hard to stop it.