Khao Yai Crocodile Freaking Out Tourists: Thailand

webfact

“First we need to find out weather it is a Thai crocodile”. I though to myself, I wonder what will happen if it is a Farlang crocodile? He went on to say that if it was a Thai croc we can relocate it to another park or breeding zone, presumable a less profitable park where natural wild life in a National Park will not scare timid tourist or walking cash away. There has been some controversial corrupt thefts (commonly known as graft in Thailand) of National Parks entry fees in the last year, with estimates into the Billions of Baht just from the Southern Marine National Parks alone. So, Whats is this crocs name?

Edited by metisdead
: Odd color font removed, don't post using odd colors.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine that ???? A real wild animal in a Wildlife park...Heaven forbid...Not stuffed. Not in a tiny box. Not yet extinct. Not sold to the Chinese to cure all ills or give you a hard on.....

Morons, is the only word that springs to mind.......

Amazing isn't it ?

“First we need to find out whether it is a Thai crocodile. If it is, we might be able to return it to its likely original habitat such as Pang Sida National Park in Sa Kaeo province or send it to the wildlife breeding centre,” he said.

While they're checking its papers, I suggest an urine test for drugs - just in case..... rolleyes.gif

And paw prints taken for the database too!

If it is NOT a Thai croc, please check his Work Permit as well... Don't forget the mandatory syphilis test!tongue.png

BUT of course, the tourists are right... it is very dangerous to have 'wild' animals in a National Park, that is supposed to protect the animals from the humans whistling.gif

“First we need to find out weather it is a Thai crocodile”. I though to myself, I wonder what will happen if it is a Farlang crocodile? He went on to say that if it was a Thai croc we can relocate it to another park or breeding zone, presumable a less profitable park where natural wild life in a National Park will not scare timid tourist or walking cash away. There has been some controversial corrupt thefts (commonly known as graft in Thailand) of National Parks entry fees in the last year, with estimates into the Billions of Baht just from the Southern Marine National Parks alone. So, Whats is this crocs name?

Maybe it is just a sloppy translation. Not a "ThaI", but maybe a "Siamese" croc.

Siamese crocs are an endangered species and best NOT to be killed (not that this might stop anyone...), whereas another species maybe free to kill.

Imagine that ???? A real wild animal in a Wildlife park...Heaven forbid...Not stuffed. Not in a tiny box. Not yet extinct. Not sold to the Chinese to cure all ills or give you a hard on.....

"Imagine that ???? A real wild animal in a Wildlife park...Heaven forbid...Not stuffed. Not in a tiny box. Not yet extinct. Not sold to the Chinese to cure all ills or give you a hard on"......

Not Yet Anyway...IMO I hope the critter evades capture...

+1
  • Like 1

How come so many tourists can see it yet trained park rangers cannot spot, capture and relocate it, after two years? They need one of them croc hunter guys from Australia to take over!

...wouldn't work, everytime the ozzy guy comes here he ends up getting drunk.

“First we need to find out whether it is a Thai crocodile. If it is, we might be able to return it to its likely original habitat such as Pang Sida National Park in Sa Kaeo province or send it to the wildlife breeding centre,” he said.

While they're checking its papers, I suggest an urine test for drugs - just in case..... rolleyes.gif

And paw prints taken for the database too!

If it is NOT a Thai croc, please check his Work Permit as well... Don't forget the mandatory syphilis test!tongue.png

BUT of course, the tourists are right... it is very dangerous to have 'wild' animals in a National Park, that is supposed to protect the animals from the humans whistling.gif

If it's not a Thai croc, then 90 days reporting is mandatory, I guess. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

A Gator is a pussy cat compared with a Salt water croc. Just call the Aussie Zoo on the Queensland sunshine coast, their experts who have been trained by the late Steve Erwin, will sort it out in no time.

get this guy:

post-164009-0-19564200-1356344761_thumb.

I've walked that trail many times, and 9 out of 10 times I've seen it. It has a few favorite basking spots where you can find it most of the time. And I know the rangers see it, because I've seen them guiding tourists there. The question is if the stories are really true that it is not supposed to be in this park. The fact that it was never seen until a couple of years ago, doesn't prove it has never been there. It's the elevation that raises questions, because the Siamese Crocodile is supposed to be a lowland species. Though it has been recorded up to 600 meters. The location where this crocodile is found is about 650m. I guess it should not be difficult to find out if the species occured further downstream of the Lamtakong river.

The animal is really used to visitors, but so are the -normally very skittish- Indo-Chinese Water Dragons (similar to Green Iguanas), and Water Monitors that inhabit the same stretch. It's a popular trail because it's the only trail you're sure you won't get lost, and basically the only area where you see Thais on foot in the jungle hoping to find a waterfall. The animals have learned that these tourists don't pose a threat. BTW, the animal's territory is quite a few hundred meters downstream from the Pa Kluay Mai waterfall, where the river is more calm.

If it's truly a hybrid Salt-water x Siamese Crocodile, it should be removed. It should be easy to get a DNA sample and check it. I think the rangers failed on purpose after the animal got in the news years ago. It attracted lots of visitors, which means more money for the park.

The only thing that causes potential trouble is these stupid people that don't believe it's real. While basking it looks like a stuffed animal, so I know people have thrown stones/ sticks to it to find out if it's real.

Just as stupid a people complaining about a wild animal in a national park. The current Park Chief even lets rangers patrol the roads to look for wild elephants that walk on the road. And I've seen several times how they try to chase the animals back in the jungle; using loud siren sounds. They don't seem to understand that it is their home. Chasing them away makes them more scared for cars and people and with their good memories it might cause dangerous situations in the future when elephants encounter people. But what can you expect from a park chief that has never set one foot in the jungle...

• Like 1

How come so many tourists can see it yet trained park rangers cannot spot, capture and relocate it, after two years? They need one of them croc hunter guys from Australia to take over!

or laid up in his hotel room with a horny beautiful Thai chic

Why bother to go to a Nature Reserve just to see a croc? You don't have to leave Pattaya to see thousands of them and I guess there are croc farms in or nearby other cities. If you want 'an experience' just go to the Parliament building and see real live dinosaurs. Some are almost human, more simian than saurean.

Was camping up there during the year and took some images of it sunning itself on a fallen tree across a creek. We were warned by other campers that it was near the walking track. Curiosity got the better of us i guess. I might be an Aussie but there was no way i was F#@%*!g going to close to it. Tried to upload image but keeps failing. Will attach later once i resize.

Actually maybe not so stupid. Now the Chinese know about it they'll find it soon enough.

You can't beat Chinese medicine. They been using it for thousands of years and now it's just starting to work so there's no need for that western medicine which they coincidentally just recently started to use.

Why? because Thais mostly are bloody lazy thats why they are still a developing country and probably will always be.

or laid up in his hotel room with a horny beautiful Thai chic

Or a ladyboy you can never tell what those aussies are up to after a couple of drinks. :rolleyes:

Edited by Payboy

This was discussed a couple of years ago.

Somebody for whatever reason released crocodiles (almost certainly hybrids of Siamese and estaurine crocodiles) at Khao Yai near the Pha Kluay Mai campsite.

yes it was.. i'm pretty sure i've mentioned it in the past several times & a lot more than a couple of years ago Briggsy..

i first saw this croc (it lives along the river between pa gluay mai campsite & huay sawat waterfall) almost 10 years ago... was one of the first people to report it to the park officials and yes, it is a hybrid.

hard to believe it's still 'news' blink.png

here's my discovery of said reptile almost a decade ago... (lost count how many times i've posted this pic here everytime this subject comes up)

A Gator is a pussy cat compared with a Salt water croc. Just call the Aussie Zoo on the Queensland sunshine coast, their experts who have been trained by the late Steve Erwin, will sort it out in no time.

get this guy:

post-164009-0-19564200-1356344761_thumb.

Surely that croc is drugged up. I have been to Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin) several times and 'never' seen any of the croc staff get that close to a normal croc ?