The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Yes there are lots of places with cheap thalis but I'm talking about very cheap AND very good and I don't think that exists here. Buffets it's hard to keep track of because most places advertising buffets are really talking about group meals that are only on when the groups show up, not drop in individuals. Also they often call "unlimited" thali a buffet when all that is an offer to bring you more of any item on the thali that you might want. 

Chak de India's thalis are not the cheapest but I think the extra price is worth it for quality and portion. 

There is an expensive and very good Indian restaurant on Walking Street called Imli Grill. Not only tandoori and rolls but things like biryani, fancy dals, butter chicken, and goat curry. The goat curry which admittedly I last had long ago was among the best curries I've had in Thailand. Though expensive, they are on eatigo for as much as 50 percent off. So that would be a way to get higher quality Indian food locally for a better price. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d13166788-Reviews-Imli_Grill-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I wonder what the Indian guys here on holiday do. They must be used to real Indian food at cheap prices back home. Maybe that's why all the Indian restaurants are empty.

The Indian groups I see frequently are fed and watered by the hotel. They even arrive at 9-10am and get breakfast. Heck I was always made to hang around until 2pm before I could even get a wash. 

Edited by jacko45k

6 minutes ago, hackjam said:

My go to place for Indian food is Fisherman by the lake. I have been using this place for many years, its had a few ups and downs over time but has been consistently good lately. The only negative for me, their nan breads are way too heavy. I do, from time to time, try places around Pattaya, only ones I have found half decent are both in Jomtiem, real India and that new place opposite Rompol market, Masala Twist.

Like I already stated, I find all Indian food here overpriced- a chicken curry is cheap and easy to make, some chicken, herbs and sauce. They normally sell on average for 200B plus. I would suggest that there is little price difference in the making of a Thai chicken curry and an Indian chicken curry, cant see anyone paying 200B plus for a Thai curry.

Can't say that I agree that they are at all similar. Whether it's cheap and easy is dependent on how it is made.

https://greatcurryrecipes.net/2013/12/31/make-indian-restaurant-style-curry-sauce-large-batch/

is a typical basic sauce recipe. 

A good basic sauce will be reduced over time to develop the flavours. Many of the sauces in Pattaya tend to lack flavour. A sign that not much in the way of reduction has taken place.

Can't say I've ever had a great Indian curry in Thailand. But I can say that I've had some really poor examples. It's like they really don't care. I've had some tasty ones in Singapore. Not in restaurants, but in Hawker centres, where they make up a really good batch.

In restaurants, they try to please everyone and often in the end tend to please no one. Hawker centres can just make one or two really good examples. though again, not necessarily in Thailand. Their markets are spread too thin, so often they end up creating the same bland mess as the restaurants.

• Like 2

I wonder what the Indian guys here on holiday do. They must be used to real Indian food at cheap prices back home. Maybe that's why all the Indian restaurants are empty.

The lower budget ones appear to be big fans of the lower cost thali and thali unlimited places. When in groups they are negotiating group discounts. There are also literal buffet restaurants for large tour groups. I doubt any of them are feeling these feedings are a peak culinary experiences.  

Higher end Indians can be found eating at places like Madras Darbar.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d1504592-Reviews-Madras_Darbar-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

Probably cook a huge pot at their condo. Most Indian guys I've worked with had a lunchbox and it seems to be a common complaint with the short term illegal rents that Indians cook their food there.

hi just heads up, want you guys to know that tequila sunrise is serving great meals 

i had a roast pork with roast veg  included cauliflower cheese, broccoli , carrots etc, and mash potatoes and roast potatoes and gravy boat. all for 120 b.

there is a English chef, who has been here for some time.

his hours are from 5pm to 9pm daily. 

closed on Tuesday night. he also has chicken roast for same price .

go try it out.

cheers

chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The lower budget ones appear to be big fans of the lower cost thali and thali unlimited places. When in groups they are negotiating group discounts. There are also literal buffet restaurants for large tour groups. I doubt any of them are feeling these feedings are a peak culinary experiences.  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d1504592-Reviews-Madras_Darbar-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Which is good evidence that the presence of higher end Indians in Pattaya is a myth as it's invariably empty when I pass it. Well maybe the odd drunken Brit.

48 minutes ago, chris2155 said:

hi just heads up, want you guys to know that tequila sunrise is serving great meals 

i had a roast pork with roast veg  included cauliflower cheese, broccoli , carrots etc, and mash potatoes and roast potatoes and gravy boat. all for 120 b.

go try it out.

cheers

chris

Thanks for that. I know there was some concern that that place would change a lot after the ownership change. Well, it does sound like the hours have changed. Those are very limited hours. But sounds like still good food at low prices. 

28 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Which is good evidence that the presence of higher end Indians in Pattaya is a myth as it's invariably empty when I pass it. Well maybe the odd drunken Brit.

No, they exist. There are a number of higher priced Indian restaurants so whatever business that exists for them needs to be spread out quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, chris2155 said:

go try it out.

cheers

chris

I have been to this place had a fantastic meal,the best restaurant for the price 120 bht

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That would be a no. That is one of the places that I tried. Those restaurants have customers courtesy of being next to the Golden Beach Hotel.

I make better at home.

Chak de India

2nd road, South Pattaya

https://www.facebook.com/ChakDePattaya/

NEW OFFERING -- Saturdays ONLY real buffet

Hours of buffet (whether its for lunch and dinner) currently unknown 

This sounds promising for the price of 249. As I've mentioned before I liked their food by Chef Rawat.

Chicken tikka masala

Fish fry

Butter naan

Tandoori roti

Steamed rice

Dal Tadka

Mixed veg

Salad / Chutney / Pickle / Papad

As this is a new buffet offering and for one day a week only, I'm going to assume that it's a test for support. So if it's a dud it surely won't last.  HINT HINT. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JamJar said:

That would be a no. That is one of the places that I tried. Those restaurants have customers courtesy of being next to the Golden Beach Hotel.

I make better at home.

Up to you, sir. 

I know a lot of richer Indian tourists like to try Ali Baba at least once. That doesn't mean I'm recommending Ali Baba (I'm not actually). 

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Up to you, sir. 

I know a lot of richer Indian tourists like to try Ali Baba at least once. That doesn't mean I'm recommending Ali Baba (I'm not actually). 

What does Ali Baba have to do with anything? Did Madras Darbar change their name suddenly?

Talk about bait & switch....

There is a row or around five Indian restaurants, all next to each other, servicing the Golden Beach Hotel.

You'll see similar on Thappraya, servicing the Beverly Plaza. Ate once at the Royal Hut many years ago when it first opened. Wasn't bad.

Might have eaten at Ali Baba on Klang perhaps fifteen years ago...perhaps not.

4 minutes ago, JamJar said:

What does Ali Baba have to do with anything? Did Madras Darbar change their name suddenly?

Talk about bait & switch....

There is a row or around five Indian restaurants, all next to each other, servicing the Golden Beach Hotel.

You'll see similar on Thappraya, servicing the Beverly Plaza. Ate once at the Royal Hut many years ago when it first opened. Wasn't bad.

Might have eaten at Ali Baba on Klang perhaps fifteen years ago...perhaps not.

I mentioned Madras Darbar as one example in the context of where Indian tourists that can afford more than cheap thalis or tour group buffets eat. There are many others. You need to work a little harder at following the FLOW of the conversation here. It was asserted that higher end Indian tourists are a myth that don't exist. That's absurd. Of course they exist. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Bickering exchange removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

If you pass, how do you know their nationality. A Singha Vest is neutral.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Chak de India

2nd road, South Pattaya

https://www.facebook.com/ChakDePattaya/

NEW OFFERING -- Saturdays ONLY real buffet

Hours of buffet (whether its for lunch and dinner) currently unknown 

This sounds promising for the price of 249. As I've mentioned before I liked their food by Chef Rawat.

Chicken tikka masala

Fish fry

Butter naan

Tandoori roti

Steamed rice

Dal Tadka

Mixed veg

Salad / Chutney / Pickle / Papad

As this is a new buffet offering and for one day a week only, I'm going to assume that it's a test for support. So if it's a dud it surely won't last.  HINT HINT. 

OK, I have an update on the hours of the Saturday buffet.

Normally the restaurant opens at 2 p.m.

On Saturdays only they will be opening from noon until midnight. If this information turns out not to be accurate and/or you arrive there and there is no buffet, have your people contact my people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Looking forward to a report on this buffet.

Yes. I should clarify that my information says that on Saturdays not only will they be open noon to midnight but that the buffet will be available that entire time. No guarantees offered!

On 9/10/2019 at 8:32 PM, hackjam said:

Most Indian food in Pattaya is overpriced.

This is a understatement.....Indian food in Pattaya is over the top expensive....This is one reason that just about no one (except the occasional odd farang) eats in any of the Indian restaurants in Pattaya....No one except the Indians who I strongly suspect might be getting discounts...... 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:44 AM, champers said:

There is a new Indian place opened recently next to the Galaxy bar on 2nd Road at the junction with Klang, where the busses to Naklua wait. It is not a restaurant per se but a kitchen and serving counter with a few plastic tables and chairs outside. The food seems to be more like cheap snacks than meals and the place is always busy whenever I go by, customers have all been Indian. They seem to have found a very lucrative niche in the market, not your standard Indian resto model. Of course, I don't know if sales exceed costs and if the place is profitable, but it doesn't want for customers, that's for sure, they positively flock there.

If you do go there, I can reccommend the big Leo at 90 baht a bottle next door at the Galaxy bar, super value. If heading back to Naklua it is just 5 yards to stagger to the bus and waiting bus drivers can help pour you on to a seat. Getting off at your destination may not be quite so easy.

I went here and ordered the dish on the far left on the big sign....I forget the name but the dish tasted like spaghetti sauce and curry...Plus they give you some bread.......Was it horrible? nope....Was it good? nope.......Cheap or not I am one and done.... 

• Thanks 2

This is a understatement.....Indian food in Pattaya is over the top expensive....This is one reason that just about no one (except the occasional odd farang) eats in any of the Indian restaurants in Pattaya....No one except the Indians who I strongly suspect might be getting discounts...... 

Groups are getting discounts on set meals. Local Indians can ask for a discount card up to 25 percent off for a la carte at a number of places or just get it if known as local. Indian tourists are generally not getting discounts on a la carte. Non Indian locals can ask for a discount card too but very few would know to ask or have the nerve to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:45 AM, Henryford said:

With the bad exchange rates my guess Indian food in Pattaya cost 3-5 times as much as the same meal would cost in India according to my 10 minutes of research......Its hard to say exactly because some parts of India are more expensive than others......If you went with a meal from a no frills hole in the wall restaurant in Calcutta,India I think you could be paying 7-8-9 times more for the same meal in Pattaya...

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1