The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

8 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

A review of a few things I have had from Hungry Hippo in the last month...

#1... Their Chicken Masala (Indian Food) Not bad but not good...Sort of edible.........  I will never order again....

#2...Their Hamburger......Worst hamburger I have had in ages......I bought it so I felt obligated to choke it down....And the fries were bad too....I will never order again....100% NO.........

#3...The  Lasagna........The Lasagna was pretty good, almost very good....I was quite happy and felt the Lasagna. was good food at a good price.....I would order the Lasagna. again........

Speaking of lasagna I found the lasagna at What's Up Dock Jomtien to be pretty decent and none of that infernal bechamel sauce. But really did not like their burger.

Kungs Hot Sausage

Soi Lengkee

https://m.facebook.com/kungshotsausage/

Grab delivery recommended

Lineman

4th of July American Independence  Day Symbolic Extravaganza!

Not sure exactly how to categorize this place?

Sandwiches? Fast food? British?

However you label it I think the place enjoys a reputation for quality eats.

It's new to me though.

I was attracted by their 4th of July special price for Philly cheesesteak.

Philly the home of the Declaration of Independence.. Also cheesesteaks.

I added British Chinese style salt and pepper chips with Curry sauce.

We beat the British way back then but it's yet to be seen if we'll beat the Chinese. 

At home I added French Dijon mustard and Thai Sriracha sauce to the cheesesteak. French for their vital help in beating the British and their vaccine program in Thailand and Thai because ... figure it out.

Had a ripe avocado so added that sliced on the side. A tribute to Mexico for giving up California  he he.

The food was excellent. As someone with a close personal connection to Philly I can proclaim that the cheesesteak was believably Philly. Loved the chips dish as well. The cheesesteak was on the small side so adding the chips was good.

Finished with fresh pineapple which according to wiki is a kind of fruit with no particular symbolic meaning. Who knew?

Anyways -- Happy 4th of July youse guys to the Americans and if you're British no hard feelings.

Enjoy Kungs!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, papa al said:

Thanks thing.

Was just pondering a place to get chow.

Eat-in avail?

I don't think it is actually a restaurant. It used to be a takeaway stall on Soi Bua Khao. Now they have more space on Soi Leng Kee; so there might be space to sit now. Maybe stools; I don't remember. ☺️

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I thought the Taco Bell in BKK was pretty good, but no doubt the "Hater Brigade" will be along shortly claiming it is the absolute worst Mexican food on the planet. 

Taco Bell isn't Mexican food at all. Taco.Bell itself said as much.

"This time, they came right out and Taco Bell embraced its uniquely American approach to vaguely Mexican menu items. PR director Rob Poetsch told Ad Age, "We're not trying to be authentic Mexican food, so we're not competing with taquerias.""

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/234254/why-taco-bell-flopped-in-mexico/?utm_campaign=clip

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Taco Bell isn't Mexican food at all. Taco.Bell itself said as much.

"This time, they came right out and Taco Bell embraced its uniquely American approach to vaguely Mexican menu items. PR director Rob Poetsch told Ad Age, "We're not trying to be authentic Mexican food, so we're not competing with taquerias.""

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/234254/why-taco-bell-flopped-in-mexico/?utm_campaign=clip

From what I recall, in Texas, they refer to TB as "TexMex". Having lived in Houston with a genuine family-run Mexican restaurant on the next block, there is a world of difference. Bit like comparing McDonalds to real hamburgers! 

8 minutes ago, VBF said:

From what I recall, in Texas, they refer to TB as "TexMex". Having lived in Houston with a genuine family-run Mexican restaurant on the next block, there is a world of difference. Bit like comparing McDonalds to real hamburgers! 

Calling Taco Bell Tex Mex is an insult to Tex Mex.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Calling Taco Bell Tex Mex is an insult to Tex Mex.

My mistake - I thought TB WAS Tex Mex inasmuch as I see Tex Mex as sort of an insult being neither one thing or the other! 

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

My mistake - I thought TB WAS Tex Mex inasmuch as I see Tex Mex as sort of an insult being neither one thing or the other! 

No.

Texas used to be Mexico.

California used to be Mexico

New Mexico used to be Mexico. 

They have a regional style of Mexican food just as the Yucatan does.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

Texas used to be Mexico.

How long were Texas, California and New Mexico part of Mexico, twenty years? Why is it Utah and Kansas do not have their own style of Mexican food? 

50 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

Texas used to be Mexico.

Yeah, I knew the potted history of Mexico thanks, but I always thought that there was genuine Mexican food and then Tex Mex was Mexican food basically adapted to suit the taste of people in Texas. I also thought that Taco Bell was that sort of Tex Mex - it always seemed to be a "fast-food" version of "genuine" Mexican food.

I quite liked it for a quick lunch but I did prefer the traditional "family-run" Mexican for a dinner or more substantial meal.

We live and learn.

Taco Bell in Bangkok don't even have beef or pork on the menu, only chicken.... slims down their stock for easy ordering i guess, they seem to be operating under the assumption that many Chinese Thai don't eat beef.... which was the norms 10-15 years ago that you can see how 'cosmopolitan' your part of Bangkok is if the local macdonald's ask you if you want beef or pork for the pattie, 

nowadays the middle class thais that are adventurous enough to eat mexican probably enjoys beef regularly... so their loss

but chilli con carne... even taco bell's version of one without beef? better ones can be had from Carls Jr. 

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Taco Bell in Bangkok don't even have beef or pork on the menu, only chicken.... slims down their stock for easy ordering i guess, they seem to be operating under the assumption that many Chinese Thai don't eat beef.... which was the norms 10-15 years ago that you can see how 'cosmopolitan' your part of Bangkok is if the local macdonald's ask you if you want beef or pork for the pattie, 

nowadays the middle class thais that are adventurous enough to eat mexican probably enjoys beef regularly... so their loss

but chilli con carne... even taco bell's version of one without beef? better ones can be had from Carls Jr. 

Well as long as Thais (and apparently) some foreigners are lining up to eat it I doubt they'll change much.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Well as long as Thais (and apparently) some foreigners are lining up to eat it I doubt they'll change much.

Will they be lining up 6 months from now? It's a novelty now. Personally I couldn't care less whether they prosper or not. I haven't eaten there in the U.S. since I was a teen and there weren't any Mexican restaurants. If many people like it, Thai and otherwise, good for them!

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Will they be lining up 6 months from now? It's a novelty now. Personally I couldn't care less whether they prosper or not. I haven't eaten there in the U.S. since I was a teen and there weren't any Mexican restaurants. If many people like it, Thai and otherwise, good for them!

I was talking about them lining up in Bangkok where they've been open (I think) for a couple years. 

I'm not a fan, but I did eat a one with my wife and kid it FL last year. 

Where did you grow up that there were no Mexican restaurants? I walked by two on the way to grade school, and one on the way to high school. 

It's funny the old '60s & -70s Taco Bells that have not been torn down are now mostly all mom and pop Mexican joints...

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I was talking about them lining up in Bangkok where they've been open (I think) for a couple years. 

I'm not a fan, but I did eat a one with my wife and kid it FL last year. 

Where did you grow up that there were no Mexican restaurants? I walked by two on the way to grade school, and one on the way to high school. 

It's funny the old '60s & -70s Taco Bells that have not been torn down are now mostly all mom and pop Mexican joints...

All I'll say is on the east coast and it was a long time ago!

Now that I think of it there was a very fancy authentic high end Tex Mex restaurant of all things that my family did go to for special occasions. I mean it was seriously good gourmet level. But no regular taquerias or burrito joints, etc.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

All I'll say is on the east coast and it was a long time ago!

Now that I think of it there was a very fancy authentic high end Tex Mex restaurant of all things that my family did go to for special occasions. I mean it was seriously good gourmet level. But no regular taquerias or burrito joints, etc.

Couldn't have been THAT long ago if you ate at Taco Bell as a teen...

In Southern California there was a lot of Mexican fast-food long before Taco Bell. 

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Couldn't have been THAT long ago if you ate at Taco Bell as a teen...

In Southern California there was a lot of Mexican fast-food long before Taco Bell. 

I didn't have my first burrito until I moved to San Francisco in my early 20's. I had some Latino flat mates and they found that hilarious. I remember telling them, I'm gonna eat these all the time (and I did). 

Sorry, I apologize for going so far OFF TOPIC. This topic is for Pattaya area restaurant info only! I have sinned. I do get emotional about burritos, if that's any excuse.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

My only experience with Taco Bell has been in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and I liked it so much that it was a regular treat on my weekly visits there.

I'll give it a shot here to see how it compares to my current favourite 3Bz Burritos.

Have you tried the burritos from here:

Hotmeals2u Order Quality Food Online With Delivery all over Pattaya

Same as Tigglebitties?

I used to do 3Bz but found that I like the above better. Of course that was long ago, perhaps they've improved. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Have you tried the burritos from here:

Hotmeals2u Order Quality Food Online With Delivery all over Pattaya

Same as Tigglebitties?

I used to do 3Bz but found that I like the above better. Of course that was long ago, perhaps they've improved. 

Had a burrito at Tigglebitties about 10 years ago and swore never again, it was bad. But maybe it's a new supplier now?

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Had a burrito at Tigglebitties about 10 years ago and swore never again, it was bad. But maybe it's a new supplier now?

Possibly.

I would suggest the top sirloin steak one (they don't say carne asada) in the SUPREME style option. 240 plus 30 for the steak option from hotmeals. 

I must say though that occasionally they use a different (not nearly as good) style of steak in those so if you're very unlucky you might get that.

Safer is the shredded chicken if you like shredded chicken. 

Or ground beef if you like Tex Mex style (I don't). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1