The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

I actually tried 2 of these deals a few weeks ago, had a lamb and a chicken dish. Chicken was fine, lamb a bit tough. Was a well presented meal, worth a try. 

I tried it too. They've been experimenting to create a winning sweet spot set concept that works for their customers and their bottom line. I think they might have done it this time. However for me there is a limitation. You can always choose your main dish curry but the majority of the food is in the set and that stays the same. The set dishes are very good and tasty but I doubt many people will want to eat those same things very often. Well I know I don't. Maybe once a month.

• Like 1

The only decent indian i have found is Indian by Nature in Jomtein.

Everest, opposite Retox, isn't bad. Nice family from Napal and their daily specials are decent.

I normally add in a portion of onion banji's.

To be honest, the Hideaway's chicken masala can be very good.

For more western tastes, Retox's chicken tikka masala, was far more generous and tasty then 99% of so called Indian's.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

Do you know when Jomtien night market (beach) falafel and hummus will open again ?

the best for the price israeli food in Thailand.

Making hummus is EASY and cheap......I make it all the time...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

Still good at selling overpriced food it seems.

I wonder what are all these restaurants waiting to definitively close ?!

There are LOADs of Indian restaurants in Pattaya that are closed but not really closed closed.........Some one has been paying their bills for going on 2 years now, if they did not have support they would be closed closed closed, almost all of them..... 

Edited by redwood1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

What do you use and where do you get it?

Do you have a recipe? 

Well the fast and easy way is to use chickpeas out of a can, boil the chickpeas for 2-3 minutes (with baking soda) to loosen the skins up then swish them around in cool water to get the skins off.....

I then Put the chickpeas in a food processor......

Add some Tahini (about 8th of a cup)

Salt ( I like pink salt)

3 squeezed limes

2 garlic cloves

A splash of water

some olive oil

I like adding asparagus too....(even better flavor)

Blend for 1-2 minutes....And there you go, you have hummus..

After you get all the stuff together it can be made really fast and easy....

Friendship has a good Tahini selection....

I honestly dont really like the canned chickpeas anymore I now use these chickpeas.....Very easy.....Soak 4-12 hours, cook for about 40 minutes . 10 minutes high heat 30 minutes low heat...
I like this hummus even more....

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1235378775-s2960390367.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1769498034-s5143024705.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

What do you use and where do you get it?

Do you have a recipe? 

If you want to buy a tub and have transport Siamburi's Soi Khao Talo stock it 119 baht for a tub, 2 varieties original and with roasted peppers approx 250gm

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jingthing said:

Taco Tuesdays at May's

Tepprasit Road Jomtien 

As many know May's is a modern gourmet-ish restaurant that does stylized versions of Thai food. 

On Tuesdays they are offering tacos. Anyone that knows May's will not expect purist authentic Mexican tacos but instead May's take on tacos.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1771321033059660&id=298381387020306

Indeed that's what it is.  I would describe the style roughly as healthy California style. Not Cal Mex. 

There is a choice of tortilla types. I chose soft corn.

The meat choices are pork, chicken, shrimp, and fish.  69 and 79.

I tried the latter three.

The tacos are served in a kind of taco bowl format. As there is so much salad you can't really pick these up to eat.

I preferred the shrimp and fish to the chicken with is dry and shredded. The fish is small pieces fried. The shrimp are nice sized and cleaned no shell not fried. 

The amount of cheese is minimal. Perfect for me considering Mexican tacos don't have any cheese. 

Each taco comes with three salsas. Red, green, and avocado based.

The spice bite is low but I pimped  it up with Chipotle hot sauce at home and also sliced fresh avocado which I used instead of their avocado sauce. Be clear it wasn't guacamole. 

An odd feature was an occasional bite of something sweet perhaps raisins.

A very nice small bottle of fresh passionfruit juice was included.

Order four and get free delivery if near the restaurant.

May's tacos will NOT satisfy a craving for authentic Mexican tacos or for Tex Mex either.

But I feel they are quite good for what they are and reasonably priced as well.

Perfect for me considering Mexican tacos don't have any cheese.

Not correct. Mexican tacos can have cheese. When in Mexico City in a local market, the popular Taco stand there was putting a white cheese in their Tacos. Locals were recommending it to me.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Not correct. Mexican tacos can have cheese. When in Mexico City in a local market, the popular Taco stand there was putting a white cheese in their Tacos. Locals were recommending it to me.

Not usually. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Well the fast and easy way is to use chickpeas out of a can, boil the chickpeas for 2-3 minutes (with baking soda) to loosen the skins up then swish them around in cool water to get the skins off.....

I then Put the chickpeas in a food processor......

Add some Tahini (about 8th of a cup)

Salt ( I like pink salt)

3 squeezed limes

2 garlic cloves

A splash of water

some olive oil

I like adding asparagus too....(even better flavor)

Blend for 1-2 minutes....And there you go, you have hummus..

After you get all the stuff together it can be made really fast and easy....

Friendship has a good Tahini selection....

I honestly dont really like the canned chickpeas anymore I now use these chickpeas.....Very easy.....Soak 4-12 hours, cook for about 40 minutes . 10 minutes high heat 30 minutes low heat...
I like this hummus even more....

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1235378775-s2960390367.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1769498034-s5143024705.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

What  Tahini do you like, I know nothing about it...

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What  Tahini do you like, I know nothing about it...

Tahini is pretty much all the same........Hey I am the worst cook in the world.....But making hummus is incredibly easy......After you make it one time you will be hooked.......Homemade hummus puts store bought hummus to shame......  

38 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

She has been selling/delivering sometimes off Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FalafelPattaya

If that's the one you mean.

Have a look to the picture in Facebook. 

You can see at top right the olive oil they use: "Aceite de orujo de oliva, COTOLIVA".

Even when it's authentic Spanish olive oil, "orujo olive oil" is the cheapest and lowest level of olive oil, made from the remnants of the olives after production of extra and regular olive oil.

Suitable to fry, often used in some restaurants, but it lacks any flavour and smell and is not adequate for cooking and salads.

Screenshot_20210831-175457_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Espanol said:

Usually Tex-Mex tacos have cheese but Mexican tacos have not.

Mexico City is nowhere near Texas. Reality trumps opinion.

Random but popular place in Mexico City: https://menugrg.com.mx:7443/elfarolito/detalles/3?categoria=29&id_unidad&nombre_categoria=ALIMENTOS&img_categoria=%2Fmenudigital%2Fcategorias%2FAlambre de pastor queso.1595281142.jpg

Edited by Bruno123

There is a Mexican place I use, on GRAB, called Amigos, limited menu but were doing half price on beef nachos and chicken chalupas, both decent enough.

I did ask the delivery guy where they were located, he said LK metro, near Kilkenny? Only place I know around there are iRover and what used to be GOLF, think its called Mint now???

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

You clearly have no idea about olive oil; especially about oxidation.

To make it clear, I must say that I got my PhD in chemistry studying the oxidation of oils.

In my laboratory we worked studying the oxidation of all kinds of oils, from sunflower oil to whale oil.

The only oil that we were never able to study because it is impossible to oxidize was olive oil.

I personally tried oxidizing it by putting it in a hot reactor for 72 hours, stirring it mixed with cobalt and molybdenum metal catalysts, while bubbling pure oxygen through. I still didn't get to oxidize it.

Olive oil is the best oil for frying because you can heat it to temperatures much higher than any other oil without breaking it down. Just try the difference between frying potatoes with olive oil or sunflower oil and you will see the difference.

While I like olive oil for frying, oxidizing must be different from smoking, yes? ? A lot of oils seem to get hotter before they start smoking. 

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

A lot of oils seem to get hotter before they start smoking. 

Really?

Please tell me one, clearly indicating at what temperature do they begin smoking comparing with olive oil. 

But we better move to PM, since we are clearly off topic.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

An exception. 

This is getting ridiculous now. 
Back to PATTAYA area restaurants please. 

Clearly not an exception if that is a random place and I had Tacos with goat's cheese(or a similar cheese) at a local stall in Mexico City. So two random exceptions?

The fact is that Taco is not a meal. It is simply a plate/container for whatever food you choose to put on it. Of course originally they just put whatever stews they would make on them; but times have moved on and toppings can vary, in Mexico. So they are Mexican Tacos and not Tex-Mex or whatever.

Mexicans can put cheese on their Tacos and I have had many, in Mexico, with cheese within. Not in holiday resorts, but in the general population. Thank you. Subject closed.

12 hours ago, hackjam said:

There is a Mexican place I use, on GRAB, called Amigos, limited menu but were doing half price on beef nachos and chicken chalupas, both decent enough.

I did ask the delivery guy where they were located, he said LK metro, near Kilkenny? Only place I know around there are iRover and what used to be GOLF, think its called Mint now???

Quite a few places have changed names, had refits etc on LK Metro.... last time I walked through, a month ago, I noticed several. It was mainly bars.GGBs that caught my attention....